SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Terrible TPM implementation

4K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  countryguy 
#1 ·
I cannot understand how Volvo selling $40K to $60K plus cars can get away with the most rudimentary tire monitor system I ever saw. Even cars like Honda Civics and others in its price point display instantly the actual tire pressure in psi.
Using just a green indicator if the tire pressure is within acceptable standard was appropriate in the 80s. To make matters worse, you cannot check the status until the car is driven for a few minutes. Who thinks of such things?
Also, if their pressure accuracy tolerance is a standard 10%, that means that a tire can be at 30 psi, while another one is at 36 psi and we would simply see all green...Terrible!

#3 ·
I worked at Volvo for a while and it was explained to us as well as the Service Departments that it would save some money for everyone; owners, dealers, etc. The sensor creates the need to have additional wheel weights installed from the factory, on top of the additional cost of the sensors. This saves money, if even only a few pennies on each car.

TPMS are also notorious for only lasting a few years. I had a car where, like clock work, the batteries would die in the sensors every two years. Decreased sidewalls increase road vibrations and impacts to the rims, which translates into more vibration and internal damage to the sensors, thus damaging the cells of the TPMS Batteries. Being that the trend is to have as big of rims and thin of tires as possible, even across Volvo's lineup, you can see where this would get frustrating for owners.

Lastly, it was determined it was better overall from a safety standpoint to utilize the ABS system and sensors to read tire pressure as opposed to going off of actual psi readings without the use of the TPMS sensors. First off, being that typically replacing a failed TPMS sensor is about $125 or more, studies have shown that owners would put off repairing/replacing failed sensors and *ignore* the constant warning light. If one or more tires were low or blew out, an owner would not know until it was too late, as the light was already on and they were accustomed to already seeing it illuminated. Some would even remove them altogether and have the system deactivated. GM dealers constantly do this when selling used cars instead of replacing the sensors as it saves them some cash and labor costs since no one will ever notice the difference. Utilizing the system implemented for the TPM system in our Volvo's guarantee uninterrupted functionality of the system for life, and, also guarantee that an owner will always know if a tire is low, blows out, etc, and can never be unaware. Apparently, though I don't know how true, this system is more accurate from a safety standpoint than the sensors which read based on actual psi. Even though you cant see the current pressures within the system, you know it is within acceptable range if green.

Since the system doesn't function off psi readings alone, you also will never get the "low tire pressure" warnings just from temperature swings. Other cars I had would always illuminate the light in the early mornings, and shut it off once it warmed up outside!

#13 · (Edited)
When the aluminum sensors go bad, you are looking at $110 EACH plus labor and programming.

This is why Volvo went to a basic alert system.

Want to know your actually pressure? CHECK IT!!!!! Otherwise just drive the car.

The sensor creates the need to have additional wheel weights installed from the factory.
Jesus I hope the idiot who told you this no longer works at Volvo. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

#4 ·
I prefer Volvo's approach rather than having to deal with individual sensors on the wheel, which in the past has made for a greater expense when getting a winter wheel and tire set, a pain in the butt to reset the onboard ECU to recognize those new sensors, and false signals from temperature fluctuations (as previously mentioned).

Volvo's approach is simple and serves the purpose. I don't necessarily need to know the exact pressure readings, as I'm not off-roading the car where I need to constantly adjust pressures.

#9 · (Edited)
Did not intend for it to come off as a way of getting rid of balancing weights altogether, rather, less of them overall. Additional mass in a central location creates a high point of specific mass within the rim. This in turn requires additional weights to counteract this point of heavily increased mass from a rotational standpoint. Again, this was from corporate, not my idea behind it.

Example used: Utilizing the exact same Rim and Tire, with and without a TPMS installed within the rim, the rim will require more balance weights to be installed with the presence of the TPMS as opposed to without.

#6 ·
Checking the pressure, tread, and overall state of the tire should be part of your individual maintenance plan. I wouldn’t leave it to some Joe Blow (sorry Tech) at the dealer or the sensors.

It only takes a few minutes to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
#27 ·
#8 ·
my 2006 BMW uses same system- pretty common.

#11 ·
The original SPA cars in 2016 and some in 2017 used the more advanced system with individual readings. Frankly, the first system was nice in terms of the specific information, but slow to reset and was prone to failure because of the reasons stated above. By 2018, I believe all SPA cars were fitted with the same system that most of the other competitors use.

#16 ·
Having an in-wheel sensor most certainly could require a higher amount of mass to adjust the CG of the wheel...

Not a significant amount, but definitely a non-zero amount.

Yah, there could be a special situation where the wheel just happens to be out of balance enough without the sensor that the TPMS sensor adequately balances it, but the likelihood of that is very low.

#21 ·
I personally prefer the iTPMS, it lets me know if there is an issue, and I don't need to buy and program sensors for spare tires. I don't need to know the pressure of the tires if it hasn't changed from the last time I checked.

If you're worried about it, measure it, write it down, reset the system. If for some reason you need to know the pressure at a later date: check for error, if no error refer to the note you took before resetting it. It should be within a couple PSI of that.

#23 ·
I had a horrible time with my 2017 XC90 T8 in NY. This system just does not like cold weather. Pressure drops in all wheels, and you will never know it. But I have posted about it in the past.

I have a 2016 XC90 D5 in Italy with actual readings, and it works like a charm.

Why would they think that compromising safety for the sake for a few hundred bucks on a car with a $80k+ list price makes sense, it is just beyond me. And it's Volvo, with a reputation for safety to uphold. It's just a bad call, all around. I wish they at least offered a choice, at extra cost. I would have paid for it.

#26 ·
You could just leave the sensors out. The light will be on the dash, big deal.
Check the tire pressure visually and with a gauge at certain intervals. Its weird,
but cars have run "ON TIRES" for years upon years without these sensors.

#28 ·
Tech was correct- this thread could go on for pages.
So I got a flat last week - tire place put in 45 lbs- gave me the tire. I of course checked the pressure after I put it on. Geez- what an idiot. And my wife said- how many people check the air in their tires. She was right- these systems are for the numbskulls that just drive the car_Period. You like me always check cold tires. Most people don't.
I personally will change my sensors on the next new tire change and buy the VDO OEM equiv. for the Volvo.These batts last only about 7 years. But yes I did not know my tire was low until the light came on the dash, checked the wheel-nail. So it was a benefit-Do I need it? Nah- but it is nice to have.
Oh and those people that complain about driving to reset the TPM- well yes it has to pair- it's bluetooth. Duh.
Weights- The tire is balanced - again-Period. It justifies automatically for any differential of weight change on the entire wheel, TPMS included. Even a new patch the tire might have to be re-balanced. (only if your obsessive though). If there was no TPMS the balance is different. I just find this baffling why people don't see this. Just think of the word "balance".

#29 ·
Simple. Remove the sensors and Check the tire pressure. Guess what? Sensors fail all of the time. To rely on them for your sole meals is idiotic. But you can keep replacing and bitching about it, that’s your right. “ I wish the people in this forum would stop bellyaching about these kind of frivolous issues and focus on more concerning issues.” Oh wait, that’s my honest opinion coming out. I need to be more sensitive, as not to offend....... I would take to the dealer and let them tell you it is imperative that these sensors be replaced as all of your tires that you drove here with are completely flat.

My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#30 · (Edited)
Today I had a problem with the right rear tire

In Owners Manual
Several minutes driving above 35 km/h (22 mph) may be required for the system to become active.
After repair, I followed the instructions and tried to store new data, and after 5km of driving nothing
The system provides information that it will automatically save new data

After noon I tried again and after the 6.5 km ride again the same

How long I need to drive, maybe 200km or 300km to save the new settings

What nonsense from Volvo engineers

#32 ·
I just switched over to winter tires. It took driving about 10-12 km before the TPMS was calibrated. Also I drove at 80 kmh for 7 km and then at 115 kmh for another 3-5 km.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.