T8 - setting charging time
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I saw a post from 2017 on this topic, just checking if anyone knows if you still can only set a charging time for the T8 based on having the VOC app? I didn't find the VOC app useful so I no longer have it, would hate to go back and pay essentially for this feature alone when other vehicles seem to have it inherent in the car software. BTW - the charger itself doesn't have a timer, it was installed before there were very many options out there on the market.

I have a MY2019 T8 and VOC (in the USA) doesn't have the option to set charging times. What I do like about the VOC app is the ability to remotely start the climate controls and lock the car. The estimated charge completion time is great for managing the shared chargers at work as well as at home. The driving journal is nice also.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 07-24-2019 at 09:52 AM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      I have a MY2019 T8 and VOC (in the USA) doesn't have the option to set charging times. What I do like about the VOC app is the ability to remotely start the climate controls and lock the car. The estimated charge completion time is great for managing the shared chargers at work as well as at home. The driving journal is nice also.
      Yeah, but I live in a pretty temperate climate, so preconditioning was never really necessary and our chargers at work email us when our cars are done charging. Estimated charge completion also shows up on the car if you peek in the window before walking away. Driving journal is interesting, but isn't really necessary for me because I don't need to track miles driven for work, etc.

But interesting that you're saying you DON'T have the option in VOC for a MY2019... as in 2017 it seemed some US owners had the option? This seems like basic feature that should be available to all T8 owners?? My husband is going to be getting a Jaguar I-Pace in ~6 mo and it seems to be able to be controlled via the dash?

4. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bren213 View Post
      But interesting that you're saying you DON'T have the option in VOC for a MY2019... as in 2017 it seemed some US owners had the option? This seems like basic feature that should be available to all T8 owners??
      You've got me curious about this 2017 post - can you please repost a link here? I don't ever recall reading about setting a charging time via VOC. Delving into the VOC battery section one can set a location and reminder to notify you within 30 minutes if you haven't plugged in when close to a charger. Not particularly useful for me (or anyone?) . . .
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

You've got me curious about this 2017 post - can you please repost a link here? I don't ever recall reading about setting a charging time via VOC. Delving into the VOC battery section one can set a location and reminder to notify you within 30 minutes if you haven't plugged in when close to a charger. Not particularly useful for me (or anyone?) . . .
      The image says "Select a location to start using it for timers and reminders." So maybe that's it.
      I remember tried once last year but the timer is not respected. Not sure about now.

Just checked and there is no option to set timer now. Maybe they removed it after found out it not working.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 07-24-2019 at 12:35 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Not sure how to link to another thread, but here's the title of it
      Thread: Does your T8 VOC app have start/stop time settings for charging?

Seemed Norway and ex-US had it readily available, and some in US, I would have thought there'd be substantial improvement of availability in 2 years. Instead, my software updates just seem to cause more problems!

but here's the title of it
      Thread: Does your T8 VOC app have start/stop time settings for charging?

Seemed Norway and ex-US had it readily available, and some in US, I would have thought there'd be substantial improvement of availability in 2 years. Instead, my software updates just seem to cause more problems!
      I read thru all the links and indeed some but not all in the USA were able to set charging timers via VOC - the root cause in variation was never found. I also checked my owners manual and nothing's mentioned about setting timers for charging. I recommend calling Volvo Owner Support 800.458.1552 for further help. Please let us know what you find!

I have an Apple / iOS which does not have the ability to pre-set time intervals T8 Hybrid charging!- at least not in US.

However, some owners with Androids indicated that they do have the ability to preset time intervals for charging. I will update this if I find the info.

It would be nice to have for the OEM-provided charger and other third party versions of EVSEs that do not have TOU to minimize charging costs.

My eMotorwerk’s Pro 40 has time of use (TOU) capability where I can set the charging times. Unfortunately, I cannot take advantage of it until my utility company implements TOU pricing (v. the off peak 11 pm to 7 am charging window).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 07-28-2019 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Tweaked last para
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I saw a post from 2017 on this topic, just checking if anyone knows if you still can only set a charging time for the T8 based on having the VOC app? I didn't find the VOC app useful so I no longer have it, would hate to go back and pay essentially for this feature alone when other vehicles seem to have it inherent in the car software. BTW - the charger itself doesn't have a timer, it was installed before there were very many options out there on the market.
      If charging time can be set, it should also be available via Sensus much like the scheduled warmup/conditioning that is also available in Sensus. The bigger question is, is charge scheduling available in all markets. I’ve not seen it as an option in VOC although it seems to be in other markets.

Do you not have the option to get an EVSE that supports scheduling, like ChargePoint or JuiceBox? I’m sure others also support it and it may be better in that they often have the ability to «read» when the optimal charge times are based on your utility’s rate schedule.

I had played briefly with scheduling and I don’t see the value in it. One, our utility doesn’t offer TOU rates and two, with a small battery, I find it far more beneficial and cost offsetting, to start charging my T8 as soon as I get home to have it ready just in case I need to go back out. Why delay charging, only to wish you had enough battery for the next errand? Perhaps if it were a higher capacity battery with 50+ mile range where it offered enough reserve to benefit from delayed charging.
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 07-28-2019 at 03:13 AM.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      If charging time can be set, it should also be available via Sensus much like the scheduled warmup/conditioning that is also available in Sensus. The bigger question is, is charge scheduling available in all markets. I’ve not seen it as an option in VOC although it seems to be in other markets.

Do you not have the option to get an EVSE that supports scheduling, like ChargePoint or JuiceBox? I’m sure others also support it and it may be better in that they often have the ability to «read» when the optimal charge times are based on your utility’s rate schedule.

I had played briefly with scheduling and I don’t see the value in it. One, our utility doesn’t offer TOU rates and two, with a small battery, I find it far more beneficial and cost offsetting, to start charging my T8 as soon as I get home to have it ready just in case I need to go back out. Why delay charging, only to wish you had enough battery for the next errand? Perhaps if it were a higher capacity battery with 50+ mile range where it offered enough reserve to benefit from delayed charging.
      My original T8 was MY2016 so my charger at home seemed to be one of the few available for home install - and doesn't support TOU. My utility company does have TOU, but I was also curious because my husband is looking to get a fully electric car in the next 6 months. Granted, we'll need to physically move the charger from one car to the other anyway, but if we can delay the 2nd car to not charge until middle of the night that would be ideal.

I have off-peak charging between 11 pm and 7 which is really nice when I (expect to) stay home. Once hom3 and I expect to go out again that day, I definitely plug it in, and 240v is the only practical solution (2.5 hours v. 7 hrs at 110v).

I wish TOU pricing would be available on all markets. Some EVSEs with TOU only project a limited (but big) market. Juice 40 Pro TOU price forecasting, for instance, is limited to California.

Anyway, back to the original post, it would be beneficial to have scheduled charging in Sensus and VOC to minimize the higher cost of and need for costlier peak energy generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

MY20 XC90 T8 does not have the schedule option and the only reference of it is in the XC90 Twin Engine Quick Guide. In section 2 it says if you plug in the Volvo charger and the car charging light stays solid blue it's because the "timer is set." Unfortunately, I can't find a "timer" anywhere....

It is not available in US. In very early version of the VOC app, timer can be set under a saved charging station (home, for example) but I tried it and didn't work. So you can forget about it.

You can either install a charge station with timer, or use a simple NEMA 6-20 plug with timer (for 240V).

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      It is not available in US. In very early version of the VOC app, timer can be set under a saved charging station (home, for example) but I tried it and didn't work. So you can forget about it.

You can either install a charge station with timer, or use a simple NEMA 6-20 plug with timer (for 240V).

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      works here. use it all the time.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

I recently confirmed with US Volvo Customer Service via email, pointing-out another of the 2020 owners manual pages where a charging schedule is mentioned being available via VoC. As @FusionRedXC60 said, I was told the feature is only available in Europe, not the US. I would suggest that other US owners that want this feature, do the same and make their disappointment in this missing feature known directly to Volvo as well. Perhaps more cards and letters from true owners will light a fire under Volvo US.

I still think Volvo has some problem unique to them and the US why this is not enabled, or their manual would have notations it is not available in all markets (other things in the manual do that). For now, I let my ChargePoint wall charger turn power on to align with my lower TOU rates (timeframes vary Sat-Sun vs. Mon-Fri, and it deals with that for me). My 2020 T8 then charges when needed, while it is given power.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...