Loud Brake Squeal Only Turning Left/Right at Slow Speeds After Non-Spirited Driving (New pads/rotors)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Loud Brake Squeal Only Turning Left/Right at Slow Speeds After Non-Spirited Driving (New pads/rotors)

Hey guys - been reading some of the posts on brake noise/squeal but trying to determine if my situation is a normal SR quirk. Background: Replaced all four corners with new pads, rotors, springs with OEM a month ago from the dealer (convenience but of course overpaid) and past two weeks I've been hearing very loud squealing from the front only when turning left/right at say 5 mph - mainly turning into spots or reversing to parallel park after normal stop and go driving. Braking straight on at high or low speeds is fine with zero noise. I returned to the dealer and they said everything looks good and nothing is warped or rubbing. Am I crazy to assume this is just another normal sR quirk or perhaps a bed in issue? Not just a slight squeal - it is LOUD.

Thanks for any help!
      Adam
      '92 244GL: Silver metallic - 180k Enem V15 cam w/timing 6 degrees advanced, Unitek header to custom Magnaflow cat-back 2.5" SS exhaust, Bilstein HDs, IPD sways, upper/lower/Cherry-Turbo Strut-Strut brace, 240 OEM rear wing, E-codes w/side repeaters.
      '07 S60R: Ti/Gobi - Stock 60k miles...tasteful mods planned.
      '12 XC60RD: Cosmic white - Stock 68k...no mods planned

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My vr does exactly this. Started a few weeks after I redid my brakes 2 years ago. I've had them apart many times since, cleaning out build up, trying different antiseize or brake grease between the pads and pistons, anything to reduce vibe transmission of brake chatter. Nothing has worked. So I'm also interested in the outcome on this if there's a silver bullet.

My wife's Honda Accord exhibited symptoms a few years back. To be clear, the noise would happen even if you weren't touching the brake pedal. In that case the culprit was the stamped stainless steel shim that clipped into the caliper bracket. I'm talking about the piece that the tabs on the ends of the brake pad slot into and slide along. The problem was that the edge of the stamped shim piece was so close to touching the rotor that, when turning at extreme angles, things would flex just enough to make it rub on the rotor causing it to emit a loud squeal. Just something to look into.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

When a brake job is done it is paramount that "all" contact as well as sliding parts are lubed
      with a high temp grease.
      1. Slides
      2. End of pad contacts where they meet the caliper
      3. Back of pad where they meet the caliper etc. Any contact points.

Also, cheaper pads can have larger bits of metal in them that can cause a squeal that will wear away.
      But there will be another "bit" right behind it.

A low dusting ceramic pad would be a better choice if you are using bi-metal pads.

I'm assuming that you are not using super aggressive pads (ie racing, or there about)

Also, squealing can be caused by a thin layer of oxidation on the rotors, ie rained last night parked the car.
      Washed the car and then let it sit. These instances would correct themselves after a few stop and go cycles.

Another but also over looked possibility is the rotor shield. Make sure it is free of stones between the shield
      and rotor and that there is enough clearance there as well.

Hope this helps.

It may not be related solely to Rs. I did a full four corner brake job about a month ago maybe on the 2.5T and have the same issue, primarily on a right turn. My wife thinks I’ve buggered something up but the XC does not have the same issue and I did it the same weekend. All OEM parts and followed the FCP vids religiously. Anything to check will be appreciated. Supposed to be dry and nice here this weekend so I will give things a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

I'm thinking brake shield if it's only making the sound when turning. It probably is flexing just enough to touch the rotor. Or possibly a stone or some debris caught that needs to be cleaned out. If it made this sound all the time then I'd probably lean more towards the pad compound. Pretty crummy that the dealer was so lazy that I could not double check all the brake shields to fix this...
      2016 V60 Polestar - rebel blue
      2002 Sierra Denali

Yeah thanks guys - just got home from work and the squeal seems to be worse and noticed while driving straight at low speeds I'm also hearing some noise now. There was a ton of Boston traffic so the brakes no doubt really heated up but this is unacceptable - ear piercing metallic squeals. I may be able to pop the front wheels off this weekend to take a look at the dust shields, etc. but otherwise going back to Boston Volvo as the noise is extremely annoying and not happy with their explanation.
      Last edited by VinnyBayview; 07-25-2019 at 06:37 PM.
      '92 244GL: Silver metallic - 180k Enem V15 cam w/timing 6 degrees advanced, Unitek header to custom Magnaflow cat-back 2.5" SS exhaust, Bilstein HDs, IPD sways, upper/lower/Cherry-Turbo Strut-Strut brace, 240 OEM rear wing, E-codes w/side repeaters.

Definitely look at the metal shield.
      2008 Volvo C30:
      Darton wet sleeves|CP Carrillo pistons&rods|Upgraded injectors|K16 turbo|3"downpipe|ELEVATE:cat back|custom intake|turbo intercooler hard pipe|lower motor mount|turbo blanket|intake plenum|downpipe wrap|dual bypass valve|lowering springs|rear camber arms|do88 FMIC|Porche 70mm TB|BMC air filter|MAF upgrade|Turbosmart waste gate|meth injection|IPD brake lines|NGK iridium 1 step colder|APR head studs|AEM AFR/Boost Gauge|Hilton Tuning

I got similar issues that were caused by rocks caught in between the brake shield and rotor. I mostly fix them by bending the bottom part of the brake shield away from the rotor, and sometimes a rock falls out.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD automatic - Hilton stage 2+ with torque limit removal. Some mods: 3" DP & 2.5" catback, Do88 FMIC, Pumaspeed inlet plenum, ECU spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by demonte1997 View Post
      I'm thinking brake shield if it's only making the sound when turning. It probably is flexing just enough to touch the rotor. Or possibly a stone or some debris caught that needs to be cleaned out. If it made this sound all the time then I'd probably lean more towards the pad compound. Pretty crummy that the dealer was so lazy that I could not double check all the brake shields to fix this...
      Yeah I agree... dust shields do weird things. Could also be hitting a steering stop...
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Happy 2020 all! Revisiting this thread as the front brake squeal alas has returned. Boston Volvo has replaced the front pads three times; rear pads twice and also the rotors on all four corners twice under the parts warranty since July for the persistent squeal. It's been about a month since hearing the squeal (when they replaced all four corners with the pads/rotors) and again seems to occur when it is warmer outside (today was 45) and I'm in stop and go traffic and mainly turning slowly to the right. Perhaps some crud got caught this evening so will try to get a wash in tomorrow) but at loss and about to just give up and live with it.

Aside from checking the dust shields again for pebbles and crud could the pads be directionally installed incorrectly? Seems weird that the squeal takes about a month each time to return with normal driving 60 miles a week. Dealer said next step would be to replace the caliper(s). Steering stops are clear. Will do some aggressive braking tomorrow and maybe that will help.

Thanks all,
      Adam

I’d forgotten about this. Ours just... went away. I just asked my wife. I did remove the wheels and play with the shields but it did nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by VinnyBayview View Post
      Happy 2020 all! Revisiting this thread as the front brake squeal alas has returned. Boston Volvo has replaced the front pads three times; rear pads twice and also the rotors on all four corners twice under the parts warranty since July for the persistent squeal. It's been about a month since hearing the squeal (when they replaced all four corners with the pads/rotors) and again seems to occur when it is warmer outside (today was 45) and I'm in stop and go traffic and mainly turning slowly to the right. Perhaps some crud got caught this evening so will try to get a wash in tomorrow) but at loss and about to just give up and live with it.

Aside from checking the dust shields again for pebbles and crud could the pads be directionally installed incorrectly? Seems weird that the squeal takes about a month each time to return with normal driving 60 miles a week. Dealer said next step would be to replace the caliper(s). Steering stops are clear. Will do some aggressive braking tomorrow and maybe that will help.

Thanks all,
      Adam

"The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      I’d forgotten about this. Ours just... went away. I just asked my wife. I did remove the wheels and play with the shields but it did nothing.

Hahaha no worries and glad yours with a wave of the wand disappeared!! Perhaps some really spirited/aggressive hard stopping will burn off whatever may be causing this first world annoying problem.

Are your guide plates clean? The ones that the pads ride in inside the caliper?
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Wheel bearing. Lets the rotor lean under side load turning. Look at that.. eventually can wear the pad away and stop for a while then come back as it gets looser.

I would get a second opinion if they haven't found the issue yet!

Some clowns replace pads 3 times to get paid under warranty claims, I'd say they're lost! Seems they keep masking the issue with new pads imo
      Last edited by JeremyR; 01-06-2020 at 09:42 AM.
      2005 S60R | DRag 18" DR34, ET40 (838) | 235 Thunderer Mach IV 302 | Delrin | PowerStop | Eibach | Fixed/replaced everything at my shop, just rolled 185k, like new. Original engine, trans, & drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Are your guide plates clean? The ones that the pads ride in inside the caliper?
      Quote Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
      Wheel bearing. Lets the rotor lean under side load turning. Look at that.. eventually can wear the pad away and stop for a while then come back as it gets looser.

I would get a second opinion if they haven't found the issue yet!

Some clowns replace pads 3 times to get paid under warranty claims, I'd say they're lost! Seems they keep masking the issue with new pads imo
      Thanks guys! Yeah it's crazy. Going to take the R to my indy guy and have him look at it as he knows R's really well - seems like the dealers can't spent the time to diagnose the systemic issue as it is clearly not the pads/rotors at this stage. I'm hoping it is a wheel bearing/guide plates/warped dust shields. No issues hard braking and pads are gripping and stopping well. Can't imagine the caliper(s) are sticking or the pins are shot (also replaced) since no vibrations or irregular stopping. I'd also think if the pads were directionally installed incorrectly I'd hear squealing immediately after the job was done. I'd try to redo myself but don't have the space or the proper tools anymore - used to do the brakes on my 244 many moons ago.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements