Buyers beware of Kumho Solus TA71 Tires
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Junior Member eastsidegeorgiaboy's Avatar

Buyers beware of Kumho Solus TA71 Tires

Beware of Kumho Solus TA71 tires. I have had a not so good experience with them. I have had 3 tires from two different sets go out of round. The belts in the tires broke and the tires rode awful. These were on my 2005 s60r. I purchased the tires brand new right after I replaced the entire suspension, 4c and bushings included. I also got an alignment that day. Not even 2,000 miles before two belts broke. The third just broke after replacing the other two. Got them from Dekalb Tire which is now Mavis Discount tire. They gave me a hard time trying to replace under warranty, but they eventually did, at no cost to me. When the tires were good, they worked really well in the wet and dry and had lots of grip. They were also very smooth when riding. If you look up reviews of the tires you will see that this is actually a common problem across all of the Kumho Solus line. I will be getting either some Nittos, Michelins, Bridgestones, or Uniroyal(Made by Michelin), as I have never had issues with these brands.
      If it looks like it and smells like it, then it probably is!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have had 2 sets of Kumhos in the past and hated every second of both of them. Will never buy them again!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former) | 1995 Yellow 850 T-5R (former)

A/S Nokian ZLines...very worth considering.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

These are the second set of Kumhos I have ever bought. They will be the last. The first set I ever owned was for my 93 850glt. Great grip, but the tread wore out in about 12,000 miles. They were super expensive, too, at over $900. Never again.

Thanks. I live in GA, so all season tires will work.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidegeorgiaboy View Post
      These are the second set of Kumhos I have ever bought. They will be the last. The first set I ever owned was for my 93 850glt. Great grip, but the tread wore out in about 12,000 miles. They were super expensive, too, at over $900. Never again.
      Great grip means softer rubber = lower tread wear rating which means they will wear out quicker. So that's not really the tires fault, it's user ignorance to tread wear ratings. The lower the number/rating the quicker a tires wears because the rubber is a softer compound, and on the flip side the higher the number the harder the compound thus the tire will last longer. However, the tire with the higher rating or the harder compound will also have more harsh of a ride and be louder. Likewise the softer compound, or the lower rating number, will ride more quiet and softer, unless low profile of course which you will feel more bumps. But over smooth rubberized road like in Phoenix AZ for example even the low profile tire will ride quiet if it it is a low tread rating or also a soft compound.

Kuhmo tires..... I never felt like trying them since there are name brands that were long established as making a reliable tire, such as Bridegstone which come factory on some Porsche models (911/993 Turbo - Pole Position SO2) and Lexus models, for example. Or Goodyear who were commissioned by Bugatti to make a tire specifically for the Veyron which would reach in excess of 200 mph. Or Pirelli P Zero which came standard on the 1995 850 T5R.

No reason to try kuhmo other than to save money and in that case the old saying applies, you get what you pay for.
      Geo-political oracle sent to fight Satan and his minions. Keep calm and boycott the NWO. "We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false". - william casey CIA Director 1981

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements