How do you feel about the safety driver aid systems
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you feel about the safety driver aid systems

So driving a car with all these safety systems is new to me. My old Lexus had ABS and a few air bags. Wife's Mazda has blind-spot and low speed collision braking and cross traffic alert but not the full safety package.

My S60 has no advanced package or park pilot. But that leaves plenty of the standard stuff. So far its unobtrusive. The BLIS is great. A couple systems do kick in a bit and I am getting used to them but wonder if I was better off without:

Lane keep - This kicks in a lot. I live in a suburban bedroom town, small new england backroads, and its summer. That means landscaping trucks parked up against the side of the road, walkers and cyclists out in the roads that have no sidewalk. Just steering around these obstacles, I have to fight the wheel as I cross the center line. Ovepowering it is easy enough, then you endure the rumbling of the wheel in protest. I guess it would be useful that time I am not paying attention, but it fights more than it helps. I also have had the steering nudge a little here and there while sort of hustling down a back road, its real hard to stay in the center of the lane on little windy backroads.

Rear Collision braking - I'll be honest I don't know what this is about. The owner's manual says City Safety doesn't function in reverse, and that the cross traffic and park assist does nothing other than beep and warn you. But twice now, in the same tight Starbucks parking lot in town, the car jammed on the brakes on me while backing out of a spot. The first time a car was turning into a spot 2 down from me while I backed out. The second time a pedestrian was approaching the rear quarter of the car, as I backed out. I confirmed she cleared the corner and was heading toward the front of the car parked beside me. Knowing it was safe I proceeded to backed up BOOM jammed brakes and splashed my coffee all over the center console. Umm...thanks I guess, Volvo?

City Safety - I'm sure this is just my fault taking too much liberties I guess, sometimes when a car you are following is turning off in front of you and you know you will clear it the steering/braking collision avoidance kicks in if you cut it too close. Have had this happen in our Mazda as well. Guess I just need to leave more room ;-)

I don't have a problem otherwise, the park sensors are useful and alert on even low down stuff like parking curbs. I don't really want to just turn the systems off, I might need them someday and I'd like to get used to them. Just seems they can be something to get used to if you are not used to a car putting the smack down on your driving style ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I turn off the collision warning as it was too sensitive and alarmist for my liking. If you tap on the turning signal, and cross the line marking, the wheel will not rumble

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      So driving a car with all these safety systems is new to me. My old Lexus had ABS and a few air bags. Wife's Mazda has blind-spot and low speed collision braking and cross traffic alert but not the full safety package.

Rear Collision braking - I'll be honest I don't know what this is about. The owner's manual says City Safety doesn't function in reverse, and that the cross traffic and park assist does nothing other than beep and warn you. But twice now, in the same tight Starbucks parking lot in town, the car jammed on the brakes on me while backing out of a spot. The first time a car was turning into a spot 2 down from me while I backed out. The second time a pedestrian was approaching the rear quarter of the car, as I backed out. I confirmed she cleared the corner and was heading toward the front of the car parked beside me. Knowing it was safe I proceeded to backed up BOOM jammed brakes and splashed my coffee all over the center console. Umm...thanks I guess, Volvo?

I don't have a problem otherwise, the park sensors are useful and alert on even low down stuff like parking curbs. I don't really want to just turn the systems off, I might need them someday and I'd like to get used to them. Just seems they can be something to get used to if you are not used to a car putting the smack down on your driving style ;-)
      I was just about to post and/or call my dealer about this exact issue! In fact, I'd just spent an hour or so trying to find any reference in the manual and came up with the same "...doesn't operate in reverse..." language that you found. Like you, the system (I don't even know what acronym to use for it!) has slammed on the brakes several times, usually when a pedestrian is crossing behind me, but in all cases, car or person, I was aware of them and either rolling slowly or lightly tapping the brakes when BOOM! My S60 Inscription has ALL the safety packages and I don't really want to turn any of them off, especially the collision braking that will warn me and then stop the car before slamming into the car or other object stopped in front of my car.

Does anyone have any idea how this can be adjusted or mitigated without turning off the entire collision system? In addition, the manual indicates that City Safety cannot be deactivated although you can set it for early, normal or late warning distance so if this issue is in the City Safety system we can't turn it off. I think "Rear Collision Warning" in the manual actually refers to the adjustments the car makes when it thinks another vehicle is going to crash into you from the rear.

I was starting to think I was the only one since I couldn't find anything in the forum on this issue when I searched. Thanks for posting.
      Last edited by bigtree; 07-30-2019 at 07:33 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Cross traffic is important but a bit intrusive. A few times I was straightening my car in a spot and the car slammed on the brakes even though I was aware and nowhere near the traffic flow. But i'd rather be safe than sorry.

Personally these things I plan on turning off as much as I can when I take delivery. Sorry, don't need the car to second guess me.

City Safety is the front emergency braking part. There is no option to change or disable it. But it acts really at the last second. So it doesn't bother me at all.
      I think Rear Collision Warning is the part that tighten seat belt when you stopped but car behind you may rear end your car. It may also hold harder on brake of your car to be better prepared. Have not experienced this one.

Lane keep is not strong at all on my XC60. It is like some nudge on steering for me. I can easily insist on my turning. Of course turn on signal and it will do nothing. Maybe implemetation is slightly different on S60.

Cross traffic alarm at rear end is really helpful and helped me a few times already.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 07-30-2019 at 11:37 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237344 miles [2020-10-13]

I love it when customers complain about "the steering vibrates when I change lanes".

USE YOUR DAMN TURN SIGNAL LIKE TRAFFIC LAWS DICTATE!!!!!! Pick up a drivers handbook or go back to school (not directed at anyone particularly here)

Personally, I wish a hand would come out the steering wheel and punch you in the face if you turn or change lanes without a turn signal.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      I love it when customers complain about "the steering vibrates when I change lanes".

USE YOUR DAMN TURN SIGNAL LIKE TRAFFIC LAWS DICTATE!!!!!! Pick up a drivers handbook or go back to school (not directed at anyone particularly here)

Personally, I wish a hand would come out the steering wheel and punch you in the face if you turn or change lanes without a turn signal.
      DO they have this feature on BMW?? Haha that would never fly.

Anyways I'm sure you are just talking in general and not about me, I always use my turn signal, I have no problems on the highway, I can see how that would be annoying to those people who just drift across lanes slowly instead of signaling the change. I mean its their own damn fault but they have to re-learn to use their signals!

What I was referring to is when you have to cross the center line a bit to go around an obstacle which around here, is a lot. Guess I could flip the signal but that might confuse the heck out of others. You solve one problem you cause another. Nothing against the system, it works like a champ. Just a reminder of how complex life is and what these safety systems need to deal with. The car can't figure out, hey that cyclist is in the road, he probably needs to cross the center line to go around him.

“Cross traffic alarm at rear end is really helpful and helped me a few times already.”

I like the alarm and had it on my last car (G80) but we’re talking about alarm PLUS the slamming of the brakes when it deems the cross traffic too close when you’re backing up. I had passengers including my wife last time and she actually felt some whiplash! If you haven’t had this happen yet you don’t know what we are describing. I’m all for safety and LOVE the safety equipment in our cars however this is way too sensitive and over - reactive.

Can anyone find any reference to this “safety feature” in the manual? Has anyone else besides the 2 of us in the thread had the same experience? Wondering whether it’s a feature or a software glitch at this point.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription. Denim Blue, Blonde, Driftwood. Advanced, Heated rear seats/steering wheel, 19" Inscript. wheels.

The Cross Traffic Alert with Rear Collision Avoidance is definitely helpful (at times when needed) and terrifyingly over-sensitive when you don't. I have experienced the same situations time and time again. My driveway is a pain to back out of and tends to be pretty busy during the morning. I have an obstructive view on both sides and there is an adequate amount of space on the side of the road past the solid marked line left for exactly this, yet at least every other morning, my car will slam on the brakes. Meanwhile, i'm creeping and almost stationary with my foot already on the brake. I feel, as most of the other systems the car has, the vehicle should not activate the brake feature unless deemed absolutely necessary when your foot is on the brake to a certain degree, while also factoring in speed.

CTA and RCA are 2 entirely different features aren't they? CTA just beeps to warn the driver if there is cross traffic behind the car when in reverse. There is no mention in the manual of it applying the brakes to avoid hitting the cross traffic. It can be disengaged with Sensus. RCA is designed to help the driver avoid rear end collisions from vehicles approaching from behind. It only activates the foot brake in order to reduce the forward acceleration of the car during the collision. The car must be stationary for the brake to be engaged. I don't think it can be disabled. From the manual, I can't even determine whether the sudden braking when in Reverse will be disabled if I deactivate CTA. Again, I like the warning...and even the braking if the system is "tuned" to an appropriate sensitivity, but what we're describing can't be how Volvo engineers expected the system to perform, can it?

Yeah I understand RCA to be collision preparation when you are about to get rear ended. Can't figure out which feature is the reversing one. I need to pay more attention to the display when it happens, I think it says "collision avoidance activated" but I don't recall. It holds on to those brakes for what seems like forever when you are trying to move away, looking like the idiot that slammed on the brakes for no reason ha.

There was a pretty damning article on Jalopnik slamming (no pun intended) the overly aggressive safety systems. It does seem like some can be attributed to laziness on the reviewer's part to customize the settings, but the RCA feature was especially troublesome for him.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-volvo-...see-1836540579
      Current Fleet: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport (Titanium Gray); 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E Premier Polestar (Black Stone, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, BLIS, Tech Pkg)
      Previously Owned: 2005 S60 2.5T AWD (Ice White)

Quote Originally Posted by Sven787 View Post
      There was a pretty damning article on Jalopnik slamming (no pun intended) the overly aggressive safety systems. It does seem like some can be attributed to laziness on the reviewer's part to customize the settings, but the RCA feature was especially troublesome for him.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-volvo-...see-1836540579
      Nice find and interesting that other reviewers haven't commented on this issue (and I've read and watched countless reviews of the S/V60). Again, I don't think this is the RCA but some combination of CTA and auto braking. Also interested that Volvo support emailed him instructions (which he didn't bother with) on how to adjust the sensitivity of the system. I'll be doing that as well as calling the Service Manager at my dealer and ask him to research it. I'm betting it is in a TSB somewhere. I'm also wondering if other Volvo models with the same software/sensors have the same.....defect. The part he mentioned about hard braking followed by a shift into N is particularly troubling. This may require a note to the NHTSA at some point.

Happened again today in a parking lot. There was a shopper behind at to the right of me that was at least 15 and I was barely moving. I'm going to write to Volvo support as well as check with the Service Manager as to how to disable or at least moderate the sensitivity of "feature". Btw, the message in the driver display read: "Cross Traffic Alert Intervention" (I think!). For now, even though I like the "Alert" part (beeps), I'm going to disable CTA in Sensus and see if that stops the braking "intervention".
      Last edited by bigtree; 08-01-2019 at 03:17 PM.

So, I spoke with the Service manager at my dealer who check with his tech guy. He checked the S60 manual on the Volvo manual app (which I hadn't yet downloaded) and we found an interesting discrepancy between the version of the manual found online and the version in the Sensus system of the car (and app). The app/car version includes language regarding the auto brake intervention during a CTA while the online manual does not mention it once in its 647 pages. Unfortunately the "correct" version in the car also says that while you can deactivate the CTA, the auto brake intervention cannot be disabled! The tech confirmed this while also saying that they've not had any customer complaints about it yet. He also said that, as far as he knows, there is no way to regulate the sensitivity of the auto brake. So there's that.

Havent had the cross traffic/braking or city safety used yet. But the alerts while driving, blis, camera while driving indicating close car/object, especially the lane assist even in standard sensitivity setting is really good.
      Last edited by Con_The_Don; 08-02-2019 at 06:22 PM.
      2019 Volvo S60 T6 Rdesign AWD with Polestar, Crystal White Pearl, 19' R design wheela
      2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire metallic, Eurosport tuning Stage II, Eurosport air intake filter/downpipe/catback (retired)

It brakes for rear cross traffic but why it doesn't brake when using Park Assist. Em weird decision.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

The only thing that ever bothered me was the "assist" part in the LKA. I switched it to just "vibrate". The reason for it was - I go to Philly a lot, and there are lots of road work there with lane lines painted all over, and the vehicle was getting confused as to where the lane was. So it just vibrates now, which is fine.
      Other than that - love all the aids, they're all extremely useful. CTA auto-brake kicked in once when I was backing out of convenience store parking lot (very slowly) and a freaking kid came flying around the corner on a skateboard. Car stopped. I wouldn't have because I couldn't see him.
      Over the years I've seen constant moaning about the driver aids, and it always amazes me that no matter how much technology progresses, you can't replace the stupid in people.
      Last edited by rumyn; 08-04-2019 at 07:49 PM.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

My S60 has no advanced package or park pilot. But that leaves plenty of the standard stuff. So far its unobtrusive. The BLIS is great. A couple systems do kick in a bit and I am getting used to them but wonder if I was better off without:

Lane keep - This kicks in a lot. I live in a suburban bedroom town, small new england backroads, and its summer. That means landscaping trucks parked up against the side of the road, walkers and cyclists out in the roads that have no sidewalk. Just steering around these obstacles, I have to fight the wheel as I cross the center line. Ovepowering it is easy enough, then you endure the rumbling of the wheel in protest. I guess it would be useful that time I am not paying attention, but it fights more than it helps. I also have had the steering nudge a little here and there while sort of hustling down a back road, its real hard to stay in the center of the lane on little windy backroads.

City Safety - I'm sure this is just my fault taking too much liberties I guess, sometimes when a car you are following is turning off in front of you and you know you will clear it the steering/braking collision avoidance kicks in if you cut it too close. Have had this happen in our Mazda as well. Guess I just need to leave more room ;-)

I had a 2019 S60 T6 AWD loaner for a day. I found the lane keeping aid to be overly annoying and aggressive.

Wait what...I can switch the LKA to warning/vibrate only? I'll do that, appreciate the help Volvo but steering me into that pedestrian is not the right move.

Wait what...I can switch the LKA to warning/vibrate only? I'll do that, appreciate the help Volvo but steering me into that pedestrian is not the right move.
      Yes LKA has those two options.

Final (hopefully) update to my issues with the CTA and auto brake system (when in R): I brought the car back because the Auto Hold and SRS Airbag lights had come on. That was "cured" with a software update. The Service Manager checked with senior level Volvo Field Techs regarding the auto brake/CTA issue. Confirmed it is operating as designed which is the CTA beeps when detecting cross traffic and, if you don't stop the car, the auto brake slams the brake pedal to the floor to avoid a "collision". The CTA can be deactivated but auto brake remains active (and can't be disabled)! That seems the worst of all worlds since the CTA at least warns the driver of the traffic. Without that you'd have no warning at all of the impending auto brake BOOM.

Essentially, if the driver doesn't stop the car the instant after the CTA warning the auto brake will activate assuming the cross traffic is still moving behind you. This is, in my view, very poor design and someday soon (if not already) someone will be hurt inside the car with the unexpected whiplash of the emergency stop while in Reverse. My wife has a spinal fusion of C5-C7. Last week, we were slowly (no accelerator applied, just creeping in gear) backing out of the garage, not even fully clear of the door, so she was still in the process of getting settled in the seat, hadn't buckled her seat belt and the auto brake "saved" us from a collision with a car going maybe 5 mph and still at least 25 feet from us. Her head snapped forward then back; impacting against the headrest. If that had happened before her surgery she could have been seriously injured. I'll be writing Volvo to mention my concern and to find out if there is any way to adjust sensitivity or disable the function. Dealer and field tech says no, but if you can code something to happen, you can code it to NOT happen (I get that there may be legal and other reasons that Volvo can't/won't do this for an owner). End of rant...& still love my S60!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtree View Post
      Final (hopefully) update to my issues with the CTA and auto brake system (when in R): I brought the car back because the Auto Hold and SRS Airbag lights had come on. That was "cured" with a software update. The Service Manager checked with senior level Volvo Field Techs regarding the auto brake/CTA issue. Confirmed it is operating as designed which is the CTA beeps when detecting cross traffic and, if you don't stop the car, the auto brake slams the brake pedal to the floor to avoid a "collision". The CTA can be deactivated but auto brake remains active (and can't be disabled)! That seems the worst of all worlds since the CTA at least warns the driver of the traffic. Without that you'd have no warning at all of the impending auto brake BOOM.

Essentially, if the driver doesn't stop the car the instant after the CTA warning the auto brake will activate assuming the cross traffic is still moving behind you. This is, in my view, very poor design and someday soon (if not already) someone will be hurt inside the car with the unexpected whiplash of the emergency stop while in Reverse. My wife has a spinal fusion of C5-C7. Last week, we were slowly (no accelerator applied, just creeping in gear) backing out of the garage, not even fully clear of the door, so she was still in the process of getting settled in the seat, hadn't buckled her seat belt and the auto brake "saved" us from a collision with a car going maybe 5 mph and still at least 25 feet from us. Her head snapped forward then back; impacting against the headrest. If that had happened before her surgery she could have been seriously injured. I'll be writing Volvo to mention my concern and to find out if there is any way to adjust sensitivity or disable the function. Dealer and field tech says no, but if you can code something to happen, you can code it to NOT happen (I get that there may be legal and other reasons that Volvo can't/won't do this for an owner). End of rant...& still love my S60!
      Seriously, not once did the CTA break for me when I was backing out and it was beeping. You know why? Because my foot was on the brake pedal; because I look where I'm going.
      The only time it did brake was for a reason, as I was rolling at about 2 mph and a kid on a skateboard came flying around the corner. I.e. = working as intended.
      Over the years I keep reading same complaints of different flavor about the safety features, because people think they "know better than the car" and keep their bad driving habits. Yet, new cars get smarter and keep resisting those habits, thus, all the anguish.

No one is getting hurt inside the car unless people floor it in Reverse and hope for the best.

In any case, you do you.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      Seriously, not once did the CTA break for me when I was backing out and it was beeping.
      Cuz if it didn't happen to Rumyn, it could not possibly have happened to anyone else. I bet you are fun at parties!

Cuz if it didn't happen to Rumyn, it could not possibly have happened to anyone else. I bet you are fun at parties!
      It only seems to happen to people who are too upset that safety features affect their great driving habits.
      With the introduction of SPA and CMA platforms, and influx of new-to-Volvo people this seems to have become an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      It only seems to happen to people who are too upset that safety features affect their great driving habits.
      With the introduction of SPA and CMA platforms, and influx of new-to-Volvo people this seems to have become an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Really? I've had most of these safety features (BLIS, LKA, CTA, etc.) in every car I've had since a 2011 E350. If you had taken the time to read my earlier posts in this thread you'd know that I like them and appreciate the additional level of protection they provide against human imperfection. The safety features, including CTA with brake assist, was a reason I was interested in Volvos in the first place. The features don't "affect" my driving habits, they enhance them. I haven't had an accident of any kind in 35 years so while I consider myself a good & safe driver, I understand how technology can help and am happy to let it operate on my behalf.

Every time the CTA did "break" {sic} for me, my foot was on the brake and the car was moving at 1-3 mph. Every time. I'm glad the cars keep getting smarter, but that sure doesn't mean each improvement is perfect in its initial iteration. It can always get better and I'm sure it will. I posted because I believe the system isn't as good as it can and will be. I wanted to find out if others have had similar experiences which is why I responded to the OP's post. The service manager at my dealer has had other customers make the same complaint. It will get better I'm sure.

So, you be you. Stupid is as stupid does.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription. Denim Blue, Blonde, Driftwood. Advanced, Heated rear seats/steering wheel, 19" Inscript. wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
      Cross traffic is important but a bit intrusive. A few times I was straightening my car in a spot and the car slammed on the brakes even though I was aware and nowhere near the traffic flow. But i'd rather be safe than sorry.
      I used to feel like it was intrusive until this evening when it slammed on the brakes for me as a car was coming through the parking lot with its lights off behind me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Current: 2020 V60CC, Osmium Grey, Amber
      Past: 2015.5 V60 T5 AWD, Savile Grey, Beechwood.
      Past: 2011 V50 AWD, Savile Grey
      First: 1978 245DL - Orange, Tan

It saved my ass as well recently. it was so abrupt I thought I had hit something. after figuring out what happened, I couldn't figure out that the car was now in park with the parking brake on.
      2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered

Quote Originally Posted by MDicnMan View Post
      I used to feel like it was intrusive until this evening when it slammed on the brakes for me as a car was coming through the parking lot with its lights off behind me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Saved my butt in my wife’s new S60. Wish my V90 had that.

@Tech — Is this available as an accessory that can be added to my V90?
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtree View Post
      Really? I've had most of these safety features (BLIS, LKA, CTA, etc.) in every car I've had since a 2011 E350. If you had taken the time to read my earlier posts in this thread you'd know that I like them and appreciate the additional level of protection they provide against human imperfection. The safety features, including CTA with brake assist, was a reason I was interested in Volvos in the first place. The features don't "affect" my driving habits, they enhance them. I haven't had an accident of any kind in 35 years so while I consider myself a good & safe driver, I understand how technology can help and am happy to let it operate on my behalf.

Every time the CTA did "break" {sic} for me, my foot was on the brake and the car was moving at 1-3 mph. Every time. I'm glad the cars keep getting smarter, but that sure doesn't mean each improvement is perfect in its initial iteration. It can always get better and I'm sure it will. I posted because I believe the system isn't as good as it can and will be. I wanted to find out if others have had similar experiences which is why I responded to the OP's post. The service manager at my dealer has had other customers make the same complaint. It will get better I'm sure.

So, you be you. Stupid is as stupid does.
      Yeah probably it's a bit aggressive. I think they should delay the intervention
      A bit until it's a 99% gonna hit. The 1% should be your saver hhhhhh

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      Yeah probably it's a bit aggressive. I think they should delay the intervention
      A bit until it's a 99% gonna hit. The 1% should be your saver hhhhhh
      I experienced it the other week too. Little Suzuki Swift shooting past. Visibility was poor due to the big-ass vehicle next to me. "Probably" would have seen it in time, but would have been no way to treat my new V60 if I didn't.

My hand was just in front of the shifter and the braking was so abrupt my thumb smacked on the shifter button pretty bloody hard. Hurt like hell... but less than a smashed in rear quarter on a wagon.
      2020 V60 T5 AWD Inscription- Denim Blue, Blond
      2015 B180 AMG Line - White, Black

Nice to see some updates to this thread. I do think the cross traffic brake slam may have saved me from at least a close call once. I understand the sentiment of being thankful it's there, my problems have only ever been with the false positives! I have adjusted my driving to match the machine it seems, I'm very careful backing out and always let others go or pedestrians clear due to my fear of the brake slam. Successfully avoided any false positives since.

I turned off the lane keeping steering nudge, too many cases where you need to depart from the lane. Eventually I turned it totally off so I don't even get the buzz. I've been able to successfully steer the car all by myself through many challenging situations so far, wish me continued luck on that ;-)

I've also adjusted the city safety to whatever the "last possible second" setting is. I've got it all to a place where I have no intrusions but the stuff is there in case I need it! Except on the track, even with everything turned off the collision safety has kicked a couple times, it really cranks down that seatbelt.

Awaiting Approval
      Nice to see some updates to this thread. I do think the cross traffic brake slam may have saved me from at least a close call once. I understand the sentiment of being thankful it's there, my problems have only ever been with the false positives! I have adjusted my driving to match the machine it seems, I'm very careful backing out and always let others go or pedestrians clear due to my fear of the brake slam. Successfully avoided any false positives since.

I turned off the lane keeping steering nudge, too many cases where you need to depart from the lane. Eventually I turned it totally off so I don't even get the buzz. I've been able to successfully steer the car all by myself through many challenging situations so far, wish me continued luck on that ;-)

I've also adjusted the city safety to whatever the "last possible second" setting is. I've got it all to a place where I have no intrusions but the stuff is there in case I need it! Except on the track, even with everything turned off the collision safety has kicked a couple times, it really cranks down that seatbelt.

I've had my S60 for almost a week now. Just today, received my first "false positive" or overly sensitive cross traffic brake slam. I was backing out slowly into the 3 lane road and I was aware of an approaching car. The car was 2 lanes over, but was behind my vehicle when I experienced the brake slam. It lasted maybe 2-3 seconds. Frustrating because I needed to get onto the road before more oncoming traffic arrived. The car waiting for me to leave was probably like wtf drive out already! My previous Lexus had the cross traffic alert, but not have the auto brake feature. I wish I could turn down the sensitivity of this feature, or disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by wcheee View Post
      I've had my S60 for almost a week now. Just today, received my first "false positive" or overly sensitive cross traffic brake slam. I was backing out slowly into the 3 lane road and I was aware of an approaching car. The car was 2 lanes over, but was behind my vehicle when I experienced the brake slam. It lasted maybe 2-3 seconds. Frustrating because I needed to get onto the road before more oncoming traffic arrived. The car waiting for me to leave was probably like wtf drive out already! My previous Lexus had the cross traffic alert, but not have the auto brake feature. I wish I could turn down the sensitivity of this feature, or disable it.
      On my 2018 S90, it's only alert with no auto brake feature. They added this on 2020. So, probably with a VDash or with the dealer you will be able to disable the auto brake feature if it bothers you.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast