ATTN EVERYBODY.... No more free software!!!!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

ATTN EVERYBODY.... No more free software!!!! (edited OP)

Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free labor to the customer for software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but its doubtful because Nobody works for free

NOTE: The software is still free as Volvo promises to its customers, but how do customers plan to get it to their vehicle? Tech's time and VIDA is not free.

Volvo’s Service 2.0 is the package that we offer to our customers as a complimentary enhancement when they service their Volvo. Service 2.0 consists of the same software that can be found in our PDS or Total Upgrade software. This was developed as a no cost tool to create a differentiator from the independent workshops. Due to low installation of Service 2.0 it was determined in March 2018 Customer Service would compensate dealers in the U.S. for their labor to grow installation rates in an effort to increase customer retention and lower warranty expense for Volvo Cars USA.

However, after careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

I have no more specifics, just personal opinions/disappointment/anger!!!!

Email VCUSA with your displeasure of broken promises and poor customer support
      Last edited by gunshow; 08-02-2019 at 07:44 AM.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This won't go over well here. This should just be locked before the unnecessary debate can begin.

If this means we will get PA with curve map data, Android UI for a fee, I am with it.

If just for bug fix, then...

So warranty should still cover software issues right?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

This is very disappointing. Too bad Volvo does not update over the air. If volvo wants to play in the big boy market, this is not really supporting that. By contrast, our 2013 Tesla is constantly updated with all the latest features it can support over the air and for free.

We will pay for the updates for our 2017 XC90 T8 when we have it serviced if the dealer does charge for it, but won't necessarily be excited about it.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription: Ice White, Black with black headliner, Air suspension, Convenience, Vision, HUD, 21 inch wheels

I also don't understand the logic here. Less than half of cars got updates. So people are not very interested, then why charge a fee for it? Fewer people will want it and VCUSA won't get much from this.

The logical thing is you sell at higher price when it is hot sale.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free Feel free to write Volvo and complain. I encourage it as a customer and technician.

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

I have no more specifics, dont ask!!!!
      This is crap move by Volvo. They are not leading the premium brand in their market space. You have to do things to retain your customer base and this is not one of them. Why are they nickel and diming us to death? They are now pushing this cost down to the consumer. It cost next to nothing to keep this benefit to the customer and they are now grabbing dimes off the freeway? This is stupid. Makes me a long time brand loyalist reconsider my options. Greed is what this is. They are trying to bring the brand back after years of suppression from Ford and now they think they have arrived? Moronic!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus-Osmium Gray/Amber (OSD-June 2017): Climate |Convenience| Vision| Polestar| 20" Wheel Package| Lighted Running Boards
      2017 GMC Yukon XL-Champagne: Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot, Cross Traffic Alert, Blu-Ray DVD, 20" Aluminum Wheels, (DW's car)

Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
      This is very disappointing. Too bad Volvo does not update over the air. If volvo wants to play in the big boy market, this is not really supporting that. By contrast, our 2013 Tesla is constantly updated with all the latest features it can support over the air and for free.

We will pay for the updates for our 2017 XC90 T8 when we have it serviced if the dealer does charge for it, but won't necessarily be excited about it.
      I will not pay my dealer for this, unless my dealer provide loaner car. I'd pay $75 for 3 day VIDA instead.

and labor rate at dealer is much higher. I see this is good chance for other Volvo shops with reasonable $75 hour rate.

Last edited by Paradox; 07-31-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts, back to back. Just edit your original post to include the new text in the future...

I find it very hard to believe that less than half of the cars eligible for service 2.0 are taking advantage of it. The first three maintenance services are covered under warranty. I would expect there might be some 2016 and 2017 model years that may have a service or two left. Many more 2018 and 2019 have services left. That would mean that more than half of new owners are taking their cars elsewhere for service at their own expense. I don't think so!

I expect lots of kickback about this new policy. It isn't going to go over well. I hope customer care is ready for some very unhappy customer complaints.
      Current:
      2019 XC90 T6 R-Design

Past:
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription
      2013 XC60 T6 R-Design
      2012 C70 T5 Inscription
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2005 XC90 T6
      1999 V70R T5

Don't know what VCUSA is smoking this time. It is equivalent to say less than half cars got free service so far, so let's stop offering the three free services. Would be nice cost cut.

If less than half the cars are updated, I suspect this is a failure on VCUSA to push this down the pipe toward dealers.

Again, the VCUSA dealer network seems ... at best ... half-arsed. (No offense to the good techs posting or reading here). I've got like 5 dealers in my area. Every single one of them suck for various reasons and I'm left with opting for the best of the worst.

However, I am seeing one of them start to shine again.

That said, the issue is this is a failure on the part of VCUSA to make the Volvo brand better.

I don't know what the software was like prior to the recent major update (on my 2019 XC60) but I can say that it isn't bad at all. We've seen Doug Demuro comment about the software being really good recently (S60 Pole* review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQzEKHI2Tw ).

Did this go to their head and give them pause about software updates?

The logic seems... to be lost here.

Color me confused.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      This won't go over well here. This should just be locked before the unnecessary debate can begin.
      This is not going to look good \or end well for Volvo. Backtracking on a 5 year long "service 2.0" promise is bad. Frankly, I am pissed off.

Between the high level of warranty audits nationwide, poor quality on a few things (nappa leather on R-design cracking on every car I see) and cutting back on this service promise, I'd say China is pinching pennies I blame China (Geely) before Sweden (Volvo).

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      So warranty should still cover software issues right?

YES, if SW is the appropriate repair, we will update the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by jjd416 View Post
      I find it very hard to believe that less than half of the cars eligible for service 2.0 are taking advantage of it.
      More than likely dealerships and/or techs are too lazy to do it OR not smart enough to know they can do it and be reimbursed.
      Last edited by gunshow; 07-31-2019 at 09:42 AM.

I appreciated it while it lasted but no one carefully analyzed my opinion
      In the spirit of light comedy / satire I will paraphrase the corporate statement or "corporate-speak" based on my work experience in large corporations. Corporate-speak never ceases to amaze me . . .

>After careful analysis VCUSA has determined
      During this automotive down cycle some business executive needed to demonstrate some cost savings or justify a bonus
      >there has not been adequate upside to service retention
      because expected revenue from additional work generated during service visits was not what I, the Volvo executive in charge of service revenue, erroneously forecasted.
      >or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill.
      To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are getting it
      Nor did Volvo customers, a high earning demographic which is potentially skewed to less computer-savvy folks who might not understand the significance of software updates in essentially a computer on wheels (as compared to the Tesla demographic), fully appreciate this free service and/or were either too lazy or too inconvenienced to drive in and drop-off their car for several hours or several days (thereby losing use of their beloved vehicle) just for the software service. There is no guarantee that Volvo dealers would provide loaner cars or comparable loaner cars in the interim their car is being serviced - that would require some organized effort either by each dealer or a VCUSA-led initiative much like what our competitors do. We won't get here into why over-the-air updates are not being used (like Tesla) despite every new Volvo having full internet/WiFi capability (like our current complimentary map downloads) - we're looking into monetizing that too BTW.
      >
      In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates
      We're currently researching how we can monetize software (and any) updates to further boost my bonus, I mean, Volvo's revenue stream especially during this down cycle.
      >from our suite of customer promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella.
      Every normal corporation makes promises and breaks them, so why should we be different especially since my bonus, I mean Volvo's profits are at risk? Remember, corporate normality is taking away benefits, not giving more free benefits. We've got a large enough customer base with our early "we're different" / "follow no one" approach so now is the time to monetize this base - we're a business, not a charity!
      >Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.
      We'll let the frontline dealers handle the customer blowback and charge whatever the dealer thinks is appropriate. After all, I'm over here in corporate and got spreadsheets to analyze and beans to count!
      Last edited by likeXC90; 07-31-2019 at 09:48 AM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

I also don't understand the logic here. Less than half of cars got updates. So people are not very interested, then why charge a fee for it? Fewer people will want it and VCUSA won't get much from this.

Yup, the logic is messed up and someone in the management chain took a very bad decision. If not many are getting the update and Volvo is very safety minded with vision 2020 of no accidental deaths in Volvo Cars, they should be doing more customer education and campaigns to promote the free updates and reach out to people who didn't get the update and make them get it or find out the reason why they are not getting it and fix the root cause. Without doing all this, just canceling the existing benefit is the most ridiculous thing they are doing. As suggested by OP, let's all write to VCUSA and ask them an explanation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
      Our first Volvo - Optimus Prime - 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Onyx Black, HUD, Momentum+, Convenience, Vision, Climate, Pilot Assist II + Mitigation Upgrades + May 2019 Update

My Fuel Log for real life Optimus Prime fuel efficiency - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90...wdarygm/910536

But VCUSA is not part of Volvo financially.

More than likely dealerships and/or techs are too lazy to do it OR not smart enough to know they can do it and be reimbursed.
      Which is another example of VCUSA needing to better train dealers. It seems to me that the dealer experience is all over the place, from great to bad. Luckily my dealer is very good, but I have to drive right past my local dealer that is minutes from home and work because of bad experiences, and drive over 45 minutes to a dealer that has very good techs.

VCUSA should use this as a learning experience and fix its dealer network.
      Current:
      2019 XC90 T6 R-Design

Past:
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription
      2013 XC60 T6 R-Design
      2012 C70 T5 Inscription
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2005 XC90 T6
      1999 V70R T5

Volvo's flawed logic. If a customer is bringing their vehicle in for service, it's up to the dealer to install and push all updates at that time. So if only 50% of customers coming in get the update, that's not the customer's fault. The dealership either didn't inform the customer that an update was available, or simply didn't bother installing it.

I highly doubt 50% of customers are turning down a software upgrade.....

Similar to Geely / Volvo's stupid move of rebranding the CPO from 7 years (4 factory + 3 additional) to a 4 Year Factory + 1 with unlimited miles and calling it customer centric. Few customers drive 20,000 plus miles a year to ever see a benefit.

Not thrilled about the direction Geely is taking Volvo....

Quote Originally Posted by jjd416 View Post
      Which is another example of VCUSA needing to better train dealers. It seems to me that the dealer experience is all over the place, from great to bad. Luckily my dealer is very good, but I have to drive right past my local dealer that is minutes from home and work because of bad experiences, and drive over 45 minutes to a dealer that has very good techs.

VCUSA should use this as a learning experience and fix its dealer network.
      Volvo has requirements on what training the techs need. BUT it depends on the people the dealer hires too. Cheap paying dealers will get cheap (aka bad) techs.

My dealer pays the premium for techs with my skill/training thus the customers get a premium experience from techs that actually care about their work/job.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Not thrilled about the direction Geely is taking Volvo....
      People who read about the world economy know China is hurting economically.

My GUESS is that Geely is pinching pennies everywhere it can to make up the money it used to acquire manufacturers like Volvo and build the factory in SC that has the locals pissed.The quality is less than stellar from SC too but this could be due to its newness.

Also, as Tech would know, Volvo has been screwing us over on warranty times pretty hard. 11 hours for piston replacement is damn laughable and irritates the sh*t out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      I appreciated it while it lasted but no one carefully analyzed my opinion
      In the spirit of light comedy / satire I will paraphrase the corporate statement or "corporate-speak" based on my work experience in large corporations. Corporate-speak never ceases to amaze me . . .

>After careful analysis VCUSA has determined
      During this automotive down cycle some business executive needed to demonstrate some cost savings or justify a bonus
      >there has not been adequate upside to service retention
      because expected revenue from additional work generated during service visits was not what I, the Volvo executive in charge of service revenue, erroneously forecasted.
      >or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill.
      To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are getting it
      Nor did Volvo customers, a high earning demographic which is potentially skewed to less computer-savvy folks who might not understand the significance of software updates in essentially a computer on wheels (as compared to the Tesla demographic), fully appreciate this free service and/or were either too lazy or too inconvenienced to drive in and drop-off their car for several hours or several days (thereby losing use of their beloved vehicle) just for the software service. There is no guarantee that Volvo dealers would provide loaner cars or comparable loaner cars in the interim their car is being serviced - that would require some organized effort either by each dealer or a VCUSA-led initiative much like what our competitors do. We won't get here into why over-the-air updates are not being used (like Tesla) despite every new Volvo having full internet/WiFi capability (like our current complimentary map downloads) - we're looking into monetizing that too BTW.
      >
      In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates
      We're currently researching how we can monetize software (and any) updates to further boost my bonus, I mean, Volvo's revenue stream especially during this down cycle.
      >from our suite of customer promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella.
      Every normal corporation makes promises and breaks them, so why should we be different especially since my bonus, I mean Volvo's profits are at risk? Remember, corporate normality is taking away benefits, not giving more free benefits. We've got a large enough customer base with our early "we're different" / "follow no one" approach so now is the time to monetize this base - we're a business, not a charity!
      >Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.
      We'll let the frontline dealers handle the customer blowback and charge whatever the dealer thinks is appropriate. After all, I'm over here in corporate and got spreadsheets to analyze and beans to count!
      For VCUSA it is just like, still almost half of cars are taking 1 hr or more in service and we are paying for it? Let's stop this blood bleeding.

Is this VCUSA's decision or Volvo Sweden? It is always confusing to me which one is paying dealers for labor in warranty work.

I recently had a 40K service (XC90) at my dealership and they updated my software at no charge......
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

I think this percentage would go up if there were notifications from Dealers or Volvo that new software is available. I never been informed that there are. Seems like a good revenue stream to the bottom line for dealers for a little proactive notification.
      2018 XC90 T5 R-Design

People who read about the world economy know China is hurting economically.

My GUESS is that Geely is pinching pennies everywhere it can to make up the money it used to acquire manufacturers like Volvo and build the factory in SC that has the locals pissed.The quality is less than stellar from SC too but this could be due to its newness.

Also, as Tech would know, Volvo has been screwing us over on warranty times pretty hard. 11 hours for piston replacement is damn laughable and irritates the sh*t out of me.
      Sadly, companies that are struggling are often very short sided. Think of a retail giant shuttering 100s of stores to save money. Yes, it will cut down on costs, but also lessons one's footprint. It would make more sense to evaluate how to turn around struggling stores rather than closing their doors. As every store closed, means fewer customers utilize your brand. Pushing customers onto competitors.

Geely is making the same mistake. To cut costs, Geely should be pushing better training for techs and assembly line workers. Which would improve customer satisfaction and increase revenue. If preventing a customer from coming in 2 or 3 times for the same issue, said customer is far happier. Likewise, correcting any quality control problems at the assembly plant, would lessen the number of issues reaching techs in the first place.

Yet, Geely seems to think:

1. Customers spending $30-70,000 aren't ignorant and can do math on the new CPO. Repackaging dog poop and call it fertilizer at this price point won't fly. Volvo isn't selling Kias.

2. Screwing over techs on labor costs will a higher turn over. Meaning more and more experienced techs jump ship for other brands. Only adding to the bleeding of funds.

A corporate culture of failings where CEOS simply look at the numbers, and instead of long term solutions, shoot for short gains.

Some back story is needed here.

Volvo started the Service 2.0 program before the SPA platform. Software updates on the older cars were much smaller and much less often. They also didn't crash. So some dealers would do them, some wouldn't. It didn't really matter, as those updates wouldn't really be fixes for many known issues. We were not paid for these.

Then the SPA cars came out. This involved a whole new network and communication protocol. Updates were large and would take a long time. Time we were not paid for. So, at least my dealer and a lot of guys I talked to from around the US, stopped doing them. I'm not spending 90 minutes on a download for free. Not to mention, sometimes they would crash cars.

So then Volvo announced they would pay us. In many cases it still took longer than we were paid. So some dealers did them, some didn't. They would still crash so there was a risk there that a free download would lead to a very expensive waranty claim. Enough of those and the dealer gets audited. So some didn't take the risk. That's why half of eligible cars didn't get them, I suspect.
      Last edited by Tech; 08-01-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Posted from the V90 forum:

So are they retro-actively revising the service agreements then, or it's effective starting 8/1 for new car sales and service agreements going forward?

Their reasoning makes no sense to me. They're saying it's under-utilized (so it costs them LESS than anticipated) so they're going to remove it from the service agreement when it sounds good as a sales tool?

Volvo started the Service 2.0 program before the SPA platform. Software updates on the older cars were much smaller and much less often. They also didn't crash. So some dealers would do them, some wouldn't. It didn't really matter, as those updates wouldn't really be fixes for many known issues. We We're not paid for these.

Then the SPA cars came out. This involved a whole new network and communication protocol. Updates were large and would take a long time. Time we were not paid for. So, at least my dealer and a lot of guys I talked to from around the US, stopped doing them. I'm not spending 90 minutes on a download for free. Not to mention, sometimes they would crash cars.

So then Volvo announced they would pay us. In many cases it still took longer than we were paid. So some dealers did them, some didn't. They would still crash so there was a risk there that a free download would lead to a very expensive waranty claim. Enough of those and the dealer gets audited. So some didn't take the risk. That's why half of eligible cars didn't get them, I suspect.
      This also makes sense.

A stray memory hits me but I don't recall where it is from. Something about each dealership needing a new internal (read: higher throughput/bandwidth/speed) network capable of these types of downloads.

I've often wondered what kind of pushback that recommendation got and what kind of actual buildout in each dealership that got.

Putting a Netgear AP near the service bay in a place and calling it a day is absolutely not going to cut it.

Again, that curious memory hits me but I can't recall where I saw this in the past.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Posted from the V90 forum:

So are they retro-actively revising the service agreements then, or it's effective starting 8/1 for new car sales and service agreements going forward?

Their reasoning makes no sense to me. They're saying it's under-utilized (so it costs them LESS than anticipated) so they're going to remove it from the service agreement when it sounds good as a sales tool?
      They are renigging. Canceling what was promised for years.

BTW, I think we should thank Tech and gunshow for their communication here.

Regardless of the message, many of us appreciate the communication that's happening.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Volvo started the Service 2.0 program before the SPA platform. Software updates on the older cars were much smaller and much less often. They also didn't crash. So some dealers would do them, some wouldn't. It didn't really matter, as those updates wouldn't really be fixes for many known issues. We We're not paid for these.

This is worth repeating, quoting, and highlighting.

Volvo is wide scale auditing dealerships for fixing what they screwed up. I am not longer going to sit back silently about it. Us dealers/techs didnt put crap metal rotors on the cars. We didnt put crappy pistons in the cars. We are merely fixing what the engineers and factories screwed up and then Volvo comes knocking on our door wondering why we have high warranty repair numbers.

I dont look for a car to replace pistons in. I dont tell customers to come in complaining of their car burning 2 quarts in 3,000 miles.
      NOT FOR 11 HOURS of pay that takes about 16-18 hours of real time work!!!!!!!!!!!!! So the question is.... is Volvo encouraging cutting corners or encouraging working for free??

They are renigging. Canceling what was promised for years.
      I find that hard to believe as there's been no notification and the action takes place effective tomorrow? There is no way that would pass muster with whomever VCUSA's GC is.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      I find that hard to believe as there's been no notification and the action takes place effective tomorrow? There is no way that would pass muster with whomever VCUSA's GC is.
      Its done. Its at the top of the website portal under announcements for us. As much disbelief you have, I have double, as a customer and tech.

I think this may be a change facing dealerships, and wonder if it's because they're about to announce switching to OTA updates (for Sensus not PA), and are cutting dealers out entirely.

Would make sense as they plan to release the revised Sensus software that's fully Android based (which already does OTA updates for millions of people). It cuts out the cost of paying dealers and increases the uptake of software updates among the fleet.

Another reason to think this is the case is that there's ZERO about this on any customer facing outlets. Nothing on VCUSA website, in press releases anywhere. Plus, they're cutting customer facing complimentary updates, but just added complementary towing?! It just doesn't add up.

Until I see a customer facing notification of a change in the terms of purchase, I'll stick with my theory that VCUSA (or Volvo Sweden) is cutting dealers out of the equation on this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      This also makes sense.

A stray memory hits me but I don't recall where it is from. Something about each dealership needing a new internal (read: higher throughput/bandwidth/speed) network capable of these types of downloads.

I've often wondered what kind of pushback that recommendation got and what kind of actual buildout in each dealership that got.

Putting a Netgear AP near the service bay in a place and calling it a day is absolutely not going to cut it.

Again, that curious memory hits me but I can't recall where I saw this in the past.
      The downloading time can be better organized so that the car doesn't need to stay at the work spot while downloading.
      Use laptop and VIDA, just scan the VIN and modules, then downloading could be done on the laptop with Ethernet without being attached to the car. After download is done, it can be hooked back to car to apply. Effectively the car doesn't need to go in work spot at all. Only time needed is the hook up and scanning time.

If they require VIDA to always be attached, then it is cumbersome for dealers.

One of the big shortcomings is that software updates can fix safety issues. I have an S60 (not an XC90), but one issue I experienced early on was my backup camera randomly failing to engage. It required hardware replacement + a software update to resolve. As hardware alone didn't correct the issue.

Imagine if Park Assist Pilot had a flaw where select randomly accelerated instead of slowing backing into a spot. Customers would definitely want software updates to resolve the issue. Even if the issue only affected 1% of cars.

So Geely failing to compensate dealers adequately means some techs won't even bother to keep up with the latest bulletins. Since you either won't get paid now, unless the customer purchased the update, or the risk of having to work for "free" is further offset by an update going awry.

The downloading time can be better organized so that the car doesn't need to stay at the work spot while downloading.
      Use laptop and VIDA, just scan the VIN and modules, then downloading could be done on the laptop with Ethernet without being attached to the car. After download is done, it can be hooked back to car to apply. Effectively the car doesn't need to go in work spot at all. Only time needed is the hook up and scanning time.

If they require VIDA to always be attached, then it is cumbersome for dealers.
      This is also why I think they're switching to OTA. It can quietly update in the background any time the car is on. Complete the full download, then notify the owner that the update is ready to be installed, and will do so during a pre-selected time (overnight, for example) that the owner selects. That's essentially what they've been doing for the map updates, and is how Android/Apple do their updates, so it's a natural transition for Volvo to make to cut costs and increase uptake.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast