ATTN EVERYBODY.... No more free software!!!! - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      When you say profit, you mean to say we dont work for free so somebody has to pay us to do the work.
      I mean the dealer could charge the customer for updates when the car is sitting in the shop for something else whereas some dealers would offer the upgrade for free as part of their policy. Dealers choice. No-one is saying not to pay the techs. This has nothing to do with the techs. They work, they should get paid period by the dealer. Dealers that treat customers right get lots of business.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      I mean the dealer could charge the customer for updates when the car is sitting in the shop for something else whereas some dealers would offer the upgrade for free as part of their policy. Dealers choice. No-one is saying not to pay the techs. Dealers that treat customers right get lots of business.
      You are 100% correct and I agree with you BUT.... Dealers across America do not pay technicians unless they are reimbursed by Volvo (warranty) or customers.

So... starting today I just lost 5 hours (at a minimum) of paid work A WEEK!!

Highly doubtful dealerships will pay us internally and Volvo is not paying us now so who will pick up the 1/2 hour of labor per SW update that we techs just lost?

SW costs nothing. It is the labor to install and the risks of the download that we must be aware of.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

You are 100% correct and I agree with you BUT.... Dealers across America do not pay technicians unless they are reimbursed by Volvo (warranty) or customers.
      of.

Not true where I go, and no disrespect, but your unfortunate situation (which I wouldn't put up with if I were you) is of no consequence to my issue with how Volvo and dealers handle this. Obviously it affects you, but that is another matter.

And if I were you, I'd be more upset with Volvo for your situation than us customers.

(by the way, sorry for two thread going on this conversation)
      Last edited by xgman; 08-01-2019 at 09:52 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

So... starting today I just lost 5 hours (at a minimum) of paid work A WEEK!!

Highly doubtful dealerships will pay us internally and Volvo is not paying us now so who will pick up the 1/2 hour of labor per SW update that we techs just lost?

SW costs nothing. It is the labor to install and the risks of the download that we must be aware of.
      How were you paid for SW updates pre-2018? They were still complimentary to the customer, but Volvo was not reimbursing for the time.

Not true where I go, and no disrespect, but your unfortunate situation (which I wouldn't put up with if I were you) is of no consequence to my issue with how Volvo and dealers handle this. Obviously it affects you, but that is another matter.

And if I were you, I'd be more upset with Volvo for your situation than us customers.

(by the way, sorry for two thread going on this conversation)
      I was never mad at the customer and I apologize if it seems that way. I am/will be agitated if anybody thinks I will work for free and accept the risk of SW downloads all for free.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      How were you paid for SW updates pre-2018? They were still complimentary to the customer, but Volvo was not reimbursing for the time.
      As far as I remember, Volvo paid us in some form or fashion for SPA SW updates since the car was released. We never did free SW downloads prior to SPA and after SPA.

NOTE: free is talking about labor, not SW itself.

How much labor could possibly be involved in a "total update"? I get the stall is taken for a while, but the tech pulls the car in the lane, hooks up the interface and lets it fly. You don't have to sit there and baby sit it. The real time is the bay being busy for however long that takes.

Anyway, my take on this is that eventually most volvo dealers will continue to offer this during routine scheduled service appointments, and those that don't may try to rip people off, and hopefully then would see business drop off. Maybe volvo will then reconsider. Either way, it was an ugly thing for volvousa to do in the first place.
      Last edited by xgman; 08-01-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Tesla is not flat rate. Flat rate is what gunshow and myself work on. Tesla is straight hourly.

Time for a revolution and revolt my friend.

I will actively tell future techs and kids looking to go to automotive school to steer clear of Volvo and flat rate shops. Once the industry has more of a shortage than it does now, things will change. Dont get me wrong, I am very efficient and make a great living but every year is a new cut into my flat rate hours.
      I don't mind flat rate. But I'm very efficient so it increases my effective hourly rate. In my area, Tesla's max hourly rate is much less than my effective hourly rate. Factoring in cheaper insurance closes the gap slightly but not enough for me to make the jump.

But it isn't just Volvo. I work at a multiline store. Warranty pay is bad everywhere. Worse even at some of the other brands.

We were not paid by Volvo prior to that. See post 24 in this thread giving some back story on the whole free update idea.
      Last edited by Tech; 08-01-2019 at 10:19 AM.

We were not paid by Volvo prior to that. See my post elsewhere in this thread giving some back story on the whole free update idea.
      Thank you, yes, I saw your earlier post. Based on the service bulletin, it was clear to me that they were not paying prior to 2018, which is why I was asking gunshow what he (his dealership) did prior to that.

Was he getting paid then, was he not getting paid then....

Gotcha. Maybe his dealership was absorbing the cost. Mine was not, so we didn't do them. I assume mine will not absorb it now either.

Even if they internal me the time, it still raises their costs which leaves less money for pay raises,profit sharing, etc. It isn't a cost they should have to absorb either.

Does this apply to prepaid maintenance packages after 3 factory services? Not sure how dealers claim prepaid maintenance from Volvo that customers already paid. If the price is fixed for each visit, it will be better for dealers in this case.
      Last edited by tanXC90; 08-01-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      Volvo is not the only large corporation pinching pennies. I deal with several large corporations and they are all cost conscious and stock price conscious. Free spending is not like it once was.
      Except on CEO and Executive salaries...Where companies that are going under will still pay out $100 million while the employees are told "Good Luck" and we don't have anything to give you.

Gotcha. Maybe his dealership was absorbing the cost. Mine was not, so we didn't do them. I assume mine will not absorb it now either.

Even if they internal me the time, it still raises their costs which leaves less money for pay raises,profit sharing, etc. It isn't a cost they should have to absorb either.
      Question for you. How are the regular servicings (10k, 20k, etc.) billed and paid? Assuming no other issues with the car are found or need to be addressed and it's just explicitly what's on the 10k mile service list, for example. Is that service as a whole paid as X number of hours to complete, or is each component of the servicing paid individually (X hours for oil change, X hours for wiping the windshield, etc.)

Question for you. How are the regular servicings (10k, 20k, etc.) billed and paid? Assuming no other issues with the car are found or need to be addressed and it's just explicitly what's on the 10k mile service list, for example. Is that service as a whole paid as X number of hours to complete, or is each component of the servicing paid individually (X hours for oil change, X hours for wiping the windshield, etc.)
      Software 2.0 was a seperate job on the work order with a separate op code that paid us 1/2 hour.

For people asking, i think the dealer (highly unlikely) should pay us the 1/2 hour or charge the customer a reduced rate ($40 or something) for labor to do it.

Otherwise myself and other techs I know are not doing it. We stand firm on not working for free.

FOR EXAMPLE, Volvo pays 11 hours to replace pistons. Audi pays 20 hours for damn near the same type of 2.0 turbo engine. WHY? Audi pays the tech to remove the engine and put it on an engine stand to do a proper real rebuild. Volvo wants us to do it in the car which is doable but not as easily as an engine stand. The 11 hours we get for pistons is 2/3 the time it actually takes. I have almost 20 years and it still takes me 16 hours to do a proper piston job. The closest tech in my shop is 18-20 hours to do the piston replacement on the 4 cylinder. I have asked every corporate person I meet that works for Volvo, who and where do i meet the guy that can do this job in 11 hours.

So the question for Volvo warranty is, do you want us to work for free or cut corners due to your stupid and incredibly low pay rate for the job?

I know numerous dealers under the threat of audits or being audited because of such jobs too. Do too many pistons and Volvo comes in with a microscope auditing dealers to find every T not crossed to debit back the whole warranty claim. This adds up to nearly hundred thousand dollars depending on the dealers volume. We deal with much more BS than the general public knows. We no longer just fix cars and turn wrenches.
      Last edited by gunshow; 08-01-2019 at 11:02 AM.

The warranty services are paid by Volvo. The 10k pays .4 for the oil change and inspection and .2 for the glass cleaning.

Prior to this, there would need to be an additional line on the repair order so it can be billed to Volvo with an op code for it that paid .5. This announcement states that op code will no longer be paid.

The warranty services are paid by Volvo. The 10k pays .4 for the oil change and inspection and .2 for the glass cleaning.

Prior to this, there would need to be an additional line on the repair order so it can be billed to Volvo with an op code for it that paid .5. This announcement states that op code will no longer be paid.
      Okay, thank you, that answers my question on how they approach those.

Love your writing. Thanks!
      2016 XC90 Momentum Plus T6, Convenience, Vision, Climate, HUD

For people asking, i think the dealer (highly unlikely) should pay us the 1/2 hour or charge the customer a reduced rate ($40 or something) for labor to do it.

Otherwise myself and other techs I know are not doing it. We stand firm on not working for free.
      I feel nobody should work for free or be asked to do so. If my dealer would ask a reasonable
      price such as the one suggested above, I would certainly pay it to keep my car updated.
      The possibility of having the software of a car up to date is an important advantage.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Volvo needs to publish the Service 2.0 part numbers to all VIDA subscribers. Let the free market figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      I feel nobody should work for free or be asked to do so. If my dealer would ask a reasonable
      price such as the one suggested above, I would certainly pay it to keep my car updated.
      The possibility of having the software of a car up to date is an important advantage.
      On the customer side, I think the issue is that we already paid for it.

Nothing is "free". Anything promised as complimentary just means it was built into the original sales cost. Volvo corporate is not doing any "free" work either. So those of us that purchased cars with "lifetime complimentary software updates" are being stripped of something.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Except on CEO and Executive salaries...Where companies that are going under will still pay out $100 million while the employees are told "Good Luck" and we don't have anything to give you.
      Exactly!!!
      2019 XC90 T6 Bursting Blue R-Design - Adv. package - 4C air - Polestar - XPEL full hood/fenders/bumper ppf - XPEL XR Plus 30 tint - Cravenspeed plate mount - Rohana RF2 20x10 with 295s.

Updates in warranty that are not to fix a problem or updates out of warranty for any reason won't be paid for by Volvo.

Tesla is not flat rate. Flat rate is what gunshow and myself work on. Tesla is straight hourly.
      Grrr ya sorry I brain farted and mixed it up. Tesla is Hourly / Salary and you're flat rate... But glad you knew what I mean.

Time for a revolution and revolt my friend.

I will actively tell future techs and kids looking to go to automotive school to steer clear of Volvo and flat rate shops. Once the industry has more of a shortage than it does now, things will change. Dont get me wrong, I am very efficient and make a great living but every year is a new cut into my flat rate hours.
      I imagine it's a trade off. You could make more on flat rate at a very busy shop. On the flip side, working at Tesla Guarantees you a paycheck that isn't based upon workload.

How much labor could possibly be involved in a "total update"? I get the stall is taken for a while, but the tech pulls the car in the lane, hooks up the interface and lets it fly. You don't have to sit there and baby sit it. The real time is the bay being busy for however long that takes.

Anyway, my take on this is that eventually most volvo dealers will continue to offer this during routine scheduled service appointments, and those that don't may try to rip people off, and hopefully then would see business drop off. Maybe volvo will then reconsider. Either way, it was an ugly thing for volvousa to do in the first place.
      If you read gunshow's post, it isn't the update that's necessary problematic. It's when an update gets borked and the tech now has to remote into the car to try and correct the problem. And I imagine that some modules just end up getting replaced if the issue cannot be recovered from. But that's my guess. Either way, you are paying the tech for his time since these things don't always go smooth.
      Last edited by Paradox; 08-02-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: merged 3 consecutive posts, use multi quote

I wish there was only one thread about this.

As I said in the other thread:

It's about time, not effort. Minimal effort is needed if all goes smoothly. But the car is tying up my work bay, so I can't use that bay to make money if I'm downloading free software. I also can't use my VIDA to diagnose another car of someone who is paying for my time.

I understand VIDA is unreliable, I use it every day. But it isnt THAT unreliable and a lot of the complaining about time taken due to failed downloads is slightly exaggerated, or someone doesnt know what they are doing.

The most common failure I see is with programming P2 keys, never had much of a problem with anything else.

The biggest issue is the basically non existent helpdesk. There is no knowledge base you can readily pull from if something goes wrong.

Last edited by inteller; 08-01-2019 at 03:55 PM.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Bit off topic to the XC90. But is Volvo eliminating all software updates for free across all product lines. Or is this just a nixing of the 2.0 Update on the XC90?

How does it work when one has the prepaid maintenance plan? Will updates still be rolled together with service or is that stopping too?

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      I understand VIDA is unreliable, I use it every day. But it isnt THAT unreliable and a lot of the complaining about time taken due to failed downloads is slightly exaggerated, or someone doesnt know what they are doing.

The most common failure I see is with programming P2 keys, never had much of a problem with anything else.

The biggest issue is the basically non existent helpdesk. There is no knowledge base you can readily pull from if something goes wrong.

Not exaggerated at all. I've had some cars where I've gone back and forth with Help Desk for multiple days before we got the car back up. I've had some where they had to remotely take over and then it took them 5 hours. I've never had an issue getting a reply from THD either. Not sure what their support for indy shops is though.

I've also never had a single problem programming a P2 key.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post

Bit off topic to the XC90. But is Volvo eliminating all software updates for free across all product lines. Or is this just a nixing of the 2.0 Update on the XC90?

How does it work when one has the prepaid maintenance plan? Will updates still be rolled together with service or is that stopping too?
      There will be no reimbursement from Volvo for any software updates that are just for the sake of updating software. This does not have anything to do with prepaid maintenance. Software updates are not part of that.
      Last edited by Tech; 08-01-2019 at 04:07 PM.

I get the impression the VIDA dealers have is slightly different than what everyone gets. We've had issues where a necessary dialog box would not appear on the first attempt then appear and program on the second attempt. I know it is different in the fact that we cant see and apply all the software part numbers like Service 2.0

2006 Passion Red S60R

Could be, I couldn't say for sure though. I know Service 2.0 won't appear for anyone but dealers though.

And let the record show that Complimentary Software Upgrades have been available off and on for the past ten years, ever since VCNA chief Doug Speck in 2009 got up on a soapbox in the parking lot at VCNA and announced that henceforth all software updates would be provided free of charge to all Volvo owners whenever they brought their cars into a dealership. I know this was true, because I was there in Rockleigh when that announcement was made. Needless to say, these words were written on the wind and this promise, like Doug Speck's incumbency, is now history.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

I posted the following on the V90 forum where gunshow posted same announcement:

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...ftware-updates

"Complimentary Software Updates

There are many small computers in today's cars. As it is with most computers, the software might need an update from time to time. These updates may involve things like optimizing the engine management system for increased efficiency, optimizing the climate control for airflow and temperature management or improving infotainment quality. Volvo is continually developing new software and providing updates as a way to ensure that your car is operating at its best. It is difficult to specify exactly what an update will mean for your particular Volvo, however, if your vehicle was in good repair to begin with, there may not be anything you notice in normal day-to-day driving once an update has been performed.

Software updates apply to all Volvos from model year 2000 onward, with the exception of the Volvo C70 up to model year 2005 and S/V40 up to model year 2003. The complimentary software updates are for enhancements for your car only. Charges apply for new software required as part of a repair or accessory installation. "

Also, every US dealership's website uses a standard template. Go to yours and find the 'Service by Volvo' page. Probably good to take a screen shot in the event they intend to change it. Here's one for a dealership I picked at random:

https://www.volvocarswalnutcreek.com...nd-service.htm

They all make the same representation:

"Our promises to you
      With Service by Volvo, our mission is to make life less complicated for you and meet all your unique needs: Lifetime Parts & Labor Warranty, Complimentary Software Updates, Complimentary Diagnostics, Car Wash and Alternative Transportation.

Complimentary Software Updates
      We're constantly improving the software for our cars. That means every time you come in for service, we'll make sure your vehicle's operating systems are up-to-date with the latest software."

Frankly, I don't see how Volvo can extricate themselves from an obligation which many can say was a determining factor when electing to purchase their product without facing penalty and consequences.

If your dealership and the manufacturer represented that complimentary software updates would be provided, as they did, and you considered this as a factor when deciding to buy a Volvo from a dealership, which you did -- every state's Attorney General will see that you get complimentary software updates. Consumers should not be concerned about compensation agreements between a manufacturer, a dealership and a service tech.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Yeah, we are definitely talking reliance based estoppel at this point.

Lawyers sharpen your pencils!

Last edited by inteller; 08-01-2019 at 09:22 PM.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Not exaggerated at all. I've had some cars where I've gone back and forth with Help Desk for multiple days before we got the car back up. I've had some where they had to remotely take over and then it took them 5 hours. I've never had an issue getting a reply from THD either. Not sure what their support for indy shops is though.

I've also never had a single problem programming a P2 key.

There will be no reimbursement from Volvo for any software updates that are just for the sake of updating software. This does not have anything to do with prepaid maintenance. Software updates are not part of that.
      The reason I asked is dealers often rolled software updates along with service. Presumably because Volvo offered "free software updates". Well total bummer. Hope there's nothing for my 15.5 S60. In all likelihood there probably won't be much in the way of changes since the vehicle is 4 years old at this point.

This does not have anything to do with prepaid maintenance. Software updates are not part of that.
      You might want to coordinate with the sales people on that. Software updates were definitely represented as a key part of prepaid maintenance by my dealer. If past experience with the coordination between sales and service is any guide I am willing to bet that if I went in next week to purchase a new vehicle they might still say this is the case. This is were the rub is going to come in between Volvo and it's customers.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Tibits View Post
      You might want to coordinate with the sales people on that. Software updates were definitely represented as a key part of prepaid maintenance by my dealer. If past experience with the coordination between sales and service is any guide I am willing to bet that if I went in next week to purchase a new vehicle they might still say this is the case. This is were the rub is going to come in between Volvo and it's customers.

This is pretty much what I was told, as well. No documentation, of course. I won't find out until my next service, which is still a ways off, but we will have a civil conversation if the bill suddenly goes from $0 to $200+. I will keep in mind what gunshow and Tech have said: that it is not necessarily the dealer making the call, but a policy change at the corporate level. That is actually good to know beforehand.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Worst case, I will not accept non-free software update in future, unless they update to PA3 with curve map data, or selling us Android UI (with voice nav).
      Hope the new policy is a better incentive to their R&D team to release new software features.

So far the updates in past don't seem to impress me. Maybe Sensus boots faster, maybe PA2 works better but I don't feel much difference.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 08-01-2019 at 08:30 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      So far the updates in past don't seem to impress me. Maybe Sensus boots faster, maybe PA2 works better but I don't feel much difference.
      I think you are confusing terms here.

Software updates are not necessarily "upgrades". The updates often fix bugs that may bite you when you least expect.
      You wouldn't feel much difference, just like you don't feel much difference with each weekly update from Windows.

Upgrades, on the other hand, add new features, like upgrading to PA3 or adding some newfangled feature.
      This is what you observe when you upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10: functionality changes are visible.

Free upgrades have happened with the SPA platform at least once in the past but it was probably because we were all acting as unpaid Volvo's SQA team.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast