ATTN EVERYBODY.... No more free software!!!! - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
      getting the 2.0 upgrade done for free from my dealer:

called my dealer today to schedule my 20k service for my 2018 v90cc ocean race...and asked about the free software 2.0 upgrade...the service agent was aware of the VCUSA's direction on free software upgrades...he said that their policy is that if someone's car does not need the upgrade they won't apply it...however, if a customer wants it - they will do it...and do it for free...so my appointment includes both the 20k service and 2.0 upgrade - i confirmed "no charge" with the service manager...so all in all - i think this will be a dealership decision...R

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post
      This is pretty much what I was told, as well. No documentation, of course. I won't find out until my next service, which is still a ways off, but we will have a civil conversation if the bill suddenly goes from $0 to $200+. I will keep in mind what gunshow and Tech have said: that it is not necessarily the dealer making the call, but a policy change at the corporate level. That is actually good to know beforehand.
      I had to break out my prepaid maintenance plan on a few occasions when even my Preferred Dealer was ill informed. My plan includes unlimited brakes / rotors / wipers for MY 15.5 year. Volvo at some point limited it to 2 sets of brakes / rotors + either 1 or 2 wipers a year. I believe 1....And so I've had to whip out the plan to get more than 1 set of wipers.

Now, I drive 80% highway, am at 48,700 miles and have yet to use break / rotors. But I'll be sure to get a set before maintenance plan terminates in 3 yrs. I got m car as a loaner / demo with 2000 miles and 1 yr in service. So I'm playing bit of catch up on that lost year. I surmise I'll hit the 90K but will have dealer roll everything up to the 100K.

Either way, I was also given impression by dealer that software updates are done alongside service visits. Be interesting to see if this changes.

Quote Originally Posted by hackR View Post
      getting the 2.0 upgrade done for free from my dealer:

called my dealer today to schedule my 20k service for my 2018 v90cc ocean race...and asked about the free software 2.0 upgrade...the service agent was aware of the VCUSA's direction on free software upgrades...he said that their policy is that if someone's car does not need the upgrade they won't apply it...however, if a customer wants it - they will do it...and do it for free...so my appointment includes both the 20k service and 2.0 upgrade - i confirmed "no charge" with the service manager...so all in all - i think this will be a dealership decision...R
      lol, I know which way my local dealer will go.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post
      I hope they crap on you
      pyramid-of-****-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      This one's a keeper - HILARIOUS Gotta recycle this for work . . .
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      lol, I know which way my local dealer will go.
      my advice: pay for the 2.0 software update...less expensive than driving your V fleet from Tulsa to Syracuse...

nah I'll just be doing them at my place from here on out. The $20 tire rotation plus Service 2.0 was a good gig while it lasted.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

nah I'll just be doing them at my place from here on out. The $20 tire rotation plus Service 2.0 was a good gig while it lasted.
      Yeah, lol, x2.
      18 XC60 T6 Inscription- everything except lux seating
      12 VW Eos Executive
      Past Volvo’s: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Tibits View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      This does not have anything to do with prepaid maintenance. Software updates are not part of that.
      You might want to coordinate with the sales people on that. Software updates were definitely represented as a key part of prepaid maintenance by my dealer. If past experience with the coordination between sales and service is any guide I am willing to bet that if I went in next week to purchase a new vehicle they might still say this is the case. This is were the rub is going to come in between Volvo and it's customers.
      Sales being wrong is nothing new.

The prepaid maintenance includes items that are all outlined in your Owner's Manual. Items we are paid for have op codes that are submitted for payment. Like the 10k example above. The service pays me .6 overall. This is entered as two op codes, one for .4 and one for .2. There is no othwr op code that will be paid for a line for a 10k service. So if a car was written up with just one line on the repair order for a 10k, there is no way for me to be paid more than .6.

Prior to this announcement, the advisor would add a line for the Service 2.0 update. Then I would be paid .6 for the 10k line and .5 for the Service 2.0 line. The Service 2.0 update is not in your maintenance schedule and there was never an op code we could use to be paid for it on the same line as a service.

If your car was out of warranty and didn't have prepaid maintenance and you came in for a 50k service, then you would be charged whatever the dealer charges for a 50k on that line and there would need to be another line to submit for the .5 op code for the update to be paid by Volvo.

So the sales person probably didn't understand how these are booked and didn't understand that the service and update are two different things.
      Last edited by Tech; 08-09-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
      I posted the following on the V90 forum where gunshow posted same announcement:

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...ftware-updates

"Complimentary Software Updates

There are many small computers in today's cars. As it is with most computers, the software might need an update from time to time. These updates may involve things like optimizing the engine management system for increased efficiency, optimizing the climate control for airflow and temperature management or improving infotainment quality. Volvo is continually developing new software and providing updates as a way to ensure that your car is operating at its best. It is difficult to specify exactly what an update will mean for your particular Volvo, however, if your vehicle was in good repair to begin with, there may not be anything you notice in normal day-to-day driving once an update has been performed.

Software updates apply to all Volvos from model year 2000 onward, with the exception of the Volvo C70 up to model year 2005 and S/V40 up to model year 2003. The complimentary software updates are for enhancements for your car only. Charges apply for new software required as part of a repair or accessory installation. "

Also, every US dealership's website uses a standard template. Go to yours and find the 'Service by Volvo' page. Probably good to take a screen shot in the event they intend to change it. Here's one for a dealership I picked at random:

https://www.volvocarswalnutcreek.com...nd-service.htm

They all make the same representation:

"Our promises to you
      With Service by Volvo, our mission is to make life less complicated for you and meet all your unique needs: Lifetime Parts & Labor Warranty, Complimentary Software Updates, Complimentary Diagnostics, Car Wash and Alternative Transportation.

Complimentary Software Updates
      We're constantly improving the software for our cars. That means every time you come in for service, we'll make sure your vehicle's operating systems are up-to-date with the latest software."

Frankly, I don't see how Volvo can extricate themselves from an obligation which many can say was a determining factor when electing to purchase their product without facing penalty and consequences.

If your dealership and the manufacturer represented that complimentary software updates would be provided, as they did, and you considered this as a factor when deciding to buy a Volvo from a dealership, which you did -- every state's Attorney General will see that you get complimentary software updates. Consumers should not be concerned about compensation agreements between a manufacturer, a dealership and a service tech.
      I bet buried in all those promises was legalese stating that this program could be terminated at any time with or without notice....Doubt this was open ended where Volvo Lawyers didn't give an out at will.

I think you guys are missing the fine print or not reading between the lines Volvo put out there....

Volvo says "we will provide your vehicle with Free software updates" BUT they do not say they will provide free labor to have it installed. They can say "the software is free, have at it as we promised" but then when you ask the dealer how to get it to your car, we will say we need a small labor charge because VIDA and tech's time is not free.

I bet you this is how those crooked f*cks at Volvo will spin it. But dont fall for it. Volvo needs to cut costs so they will screw us and in turn it rolls down hill to the customer ultimately getting less for their money or paying for what was promised to be "free".
      Last edited by gunshow; 08-02-2019 at 07:33 AM.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      I think you guys are missing the fine print or not reading between the lines Volvo put out there....

Volvo says "we will provide your vehicle with Free software updates" BUT they do not say they will provide free labor to have it installed. They can say "the software is free, have at it as we promised" but then when you ask the dealer how to get it to your car, we will say we need a small labor charge because VIDA and tech's time is not free.

I bet you this is how those crooked f*cks at Volvo will spin it. But dont fall for it. Volvo needs to cut costs so they will screw us and in turn it rolls down hill to the customer ultimately getting less for their money or paying for what was promised to be "free".
      They said in the email they are removing it from their "promise" so they aren't going to offer it for free and then not pay dealers.

Volvo is just trying to figure out right now if they want to be sued by the dealers, or if they want an estoppel class action brought on them by the customers.

They are best served in the short term by having all of this just sit in a strange limbo, but since they have done a CYA with the dealer email they can wait it out a bit.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

They said in the email they are removing it from their "promise" so they aren't going to offer it for free and then not pay dealers.

Volvo is just trying to figure out right now if they want to be sued by the dealers, or if they want an estoppel class action brought on them by the customers.

They are best served in the short term by having all of this just sit in a strange limbo, but since they have done a CYA with the dealer email they can wait it out a bit.
      Right now, the software is still .01 cents. TECHNICALLY it is free.

BUT how does Mr/Mrs Customer get it into their vehicle? Just trying to bring this to everybody's attention.

Volvo released a new note today explaining when to do what software package. Under Software 2.0 is says to do it during services but THE TECH/SHOP ARE NOT BEING REIMBURSED for it
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

Well there is your dealer class action then. Whoever is at the keyboard over there at Volvo needs to be fired. Obviously they are trolling the social boards and trying to define policy on the fly. Bunch of amateurs.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Well there is your dealer class action then. Whoever is at the keyboard over there at Volvo needs to be fired. Obviously they are trolling the social boards and trying to define policy on the fly. Bunch of amateurs.

I doubt the dealers can sue over this one....I guarantee you that Volvo's promise had an exclusionary clause where it was free to terminate the software arrangement at any time without reason. And what can dealers sue about here? Nothing. Volvo never promised to pay them for the time it took to install the software. Volvo merely said "Free Software". So if Volvo reimburses the dealer 1 cent, they are complying where the promise they made dealers. Assuming, they didn't have any other verbiage giving them a 100% out.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I doubt the dealers can sue over this one....I guarantee you that Volvo's promise had an exclusionary clause where it was free to terminate the software arrangement at any time without reason. And what can dealers sue about here? Nothing. Volvo never promised to pay them for the time it took to install the software. Volvo merely said "Free Software". So if Volvo reimburses the dealer 1 cent, they are complying where the promise they made dealers. Assuming, they didn't have any other verbiage giving them a 100% out.
      I guess we will find out soon enough.

2006 Passion Red S60R

Not sure how they can sue. When the program first came out, they were not paying for the labor. It was up to the dealer to pay the techs if they chose to. So now it is just back to the original program. Only this time, they are not advertising the free software any longer. So the people with a gripe will be the folks who bought a car with that in mind.

Not sure how they can sue. When the program first came out, they were not paying for the labor. It was up to the dealer to pay the techs if they chose to. So now it is just back to the original program. Only this time, they are not advertising the free software any longer. So the people with a gripe will be the folks who bought a car with that in mind.
      What is the actual impact of this? I'm just curious. I had my car in yesterday for the umpteenth time and asked for an update; they showed me the Volvo communication.

So I'm just wondering what it actually takes to install the $.01 update? Isn't the car connected to VIDA during normal services? Is this just a time-thing, in that it takes time to install when the car could have already been moved?
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Quote Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
      What is the actual impact of this? I'm just curious. I had my car in yesterday for the umpteenth time and asked for an update; they showed me the Volvo communication.

So I'm just wondering what it actually takes to install the $.01 update? Isn't the car connected to VIDA during normal services? Is this just a time-thing, in that it takes time to install when the car could have already been moved?
      Between this thread and one of the others, I've explained how the update works.

The update is an additional step. A step Volvo doesn't want to pay for. So it's a step I will not do.

Between this thread and one of the others, I've explained how the update works.

The update is an additional step. A step Volvo doesn't want to pay for. So it's a step I will not do.
      Just read it. Thanks
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Just brought my XC90 in for it's 30k mile service. When I booked two weeks ago I was told I would be getting the software update. I noticed the line item was missing on the invoice when I dropped it off today and so I asked. They got all quiet and said, 'yes, we just found out as well.' I asked them if I was getting it and she said she would have to talk to her manager for a decision. I told them I tried to get the car in last week and she thought it was reasonable to do it, but still the 'check with the manager' line. That line gives me the creeps like I'm buying a Honda, not getting the service from a premium auto retailer. I'll write an update when I hear back from Volvo of South Portland in Scarborough Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by fvultee View Post
      Just brought my XC90 in for it's 30k mile service. When I booked two weeks ago I was told I would be getting the software update. I noticed the line item was missing on the invoice when I dropped it off today and so I asked. They got all quiet and said, 'yes, we just found out as well.' I asked them if I was getting it and she said she would have to talk to her manager for a decision. I told them I tried to get the car in last week and she thought it was reasonable to do it, but still the 'check with the manager' line. That line gives me the creeps like I'm buying a Honda, not getting the service from a premium auto retailer. I'll write an update when I hear back from Volvo of South Portland in Scarborough Maine.
      Quick follow-up. My service manager at South Portland Volvo in Scarborough Maine honored the free software update. I asked about once this was no longer honored and it sounds like depending on what's updated that it could be between $70-150 to update it in the future, but that was just a guess based on labor and minimal software cost.

Just got a letter by mail from my dealer confirming continuing the free updates, warranty for life and everything.
      Business as usual no changes. And a 25% off any service, accessories and parts.

I’m getting a feeling that this is Volvo’s response to the new tariffs being imposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
      Just got a letter by mail from my dealer confirming continuing the free updates, warranty for life and everything.
      Business as usual no changes. And a 25% off any service, accessories and parts.

I’m getting a feeling that this is Volvo’s response to the new tariffs being imposed.

Is this in response to something you specifically spoke with your dealer or they might be sending it out to most soon?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
      Our first Volvo - Optimus Prime - 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Onyx Black, HUD, Momentum+, Convenience, Vision, Climate, Pilot Assist II + Mitigation Upgrades + Jan 2020 Update

My Fuel Log for real life Optimus Prime fuel efficiency - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90...wdarygm/910536

Quote Originally Posted by chowdarygm View Post
      Is this in response to something you specifically spoke with your dealer or they might be sending it out to most soon?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
      I asked the service manager as I was picking up my car from 10k service about the news and how is it effecting us as their customers.

He replied with confidence“Business as usual”.

I left it at that and went home with my vehicle.

That was Thursday August 1st.

Today I just got the letter.

I asked the service manager as I was picking up my car from 10k service about the news and how is it effecting us as their customers.

Can you take a picture of this letter (private info redacted) and post it for us?
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Officially heard back from Volvo Cars USA. Their response (and grammatical errors) are below:

"Your Volvo dealership will be able to still perform this Service 2.0 software on your vehicle. We are but it will no longer be complimentary which is how. This update in the program for Service by Volvo was announced yesterday to our dealerships to inform customers of the upgrades."

So basically, yes, they are reneging. Yes, they are putting it onto the dealerships to take the brunt of customer backlash. And yes, everyone that bought a Volvo from March 2018 until Jul 31, 2019 while these complimentary updates were packaged as part of "Service by Volvo", should be pissed.

Uh it goes back further than that, the promise of free updates and Service 2.0 have been around in some form since 2012, announced even longer than that. It's a huge promissory estoppel case for all the people that bought a Volvo factoring this into their purchase.

2006 Passion Red S60R

I literally just bought extended maintenance and really struggled at the cost Volvo wants to service these cars with nothing more than oil, filter and occasionally brake fluid. The only reason I opted to do this was because of the software updates. I'll definitely make some noise about this at my dealer and send an email to Volvo corporate. I do have a quote from late July about my 4-year/40K service and it does say free software update, but that's just a quote. That said, since 2012 and our XC60, my dealer has always included these in services and I recall early on the messaging was that is was provided by the dealer as courtesy. I hope my local dealer continues doing that.
      Last edited by BrianV; 08-04-2019 at 03:23 PM.
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      '18 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Tri-coat Red - Performance Upgrade Package, Enhanced AutoPilot
      SOLD - '13 XC60 R-Design - Ice White - Platinum, Climate Pkg w/ Boosters, BLIS

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post

Can you take a picture of this letter (private info redacted) and post it for us?

Keep in mind that this applies to his dealer only. It does not mean your dealer will perform them for free.

If we are at a point of software stability - which would be great - having software that is no longer “glitchy” is great. We are about there. I would be happy with steady state and no issues.....
      But many of the minor issues that I’ve presented when bringing my car in for service were “repaired” with the “universal” fix of —> ‘Installed Total Software Update’. Remember the dreaded VOC service required - been in and out of service a few times and been told it was fixed w/ total software update - only for the problem to persistently return.

If the dealers continue to us the “Universal Software Update” as a crutch for service repairs are we expected to pay for that now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      MY16 XC90 T8, Inscription, Onyx Black
      Vision, Conv, HUD, Climate, B&W, 4-Corner Susp., PAII

Quote Originally Posted by Kh0805 View Post
      I was waiting for "someone" to bring the politics into this. Good god.
      LMFTFY

You don't have to agree with anyone, but you do have to observe forum rules and personal insults/offensive language will not be tolerated. It's not hard to choose to speak respectfully with others. Please make this choice going forward.
      Last edited by R-Pow3R3d; 08-05-2019 at 12:02 AM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
      I literally just bought extended maintenance and really struggled at the cost Volvo wants to service these cars with nothing more than oil, filter and occasionally brake fluid. The only reason I opted to do this was because of the software updates. I'll definitely make some noise about this at my dealer and send an email to Volvo corporate. I do have a quote from late July about my 4-year/40K service and it does say free software update, but that's just a quote. That said, since 2012 and our XC60, my dealer has always included these in services and I recall early on the messaging was that is was provided by the dealer as courtesy. I hope my local dealer continues doing that.
      Politely ask to speak to the dealer service manager and bring along the quote. Ask if they intend to honor this agreement, because that was your basis for buying the factory prepaid maintenance. If he won't agree, speak to dealership general manager. Let him know that you intend to have all services done at this dealership, but only if software is included at no cost, as indicated upon sale. If he refuses, you have the option to cancel the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      LMFTFY

You don't have to agree with anyone, but you do have to observe forum rules and personal insults/offensive language will not be tolerated. It's not hard to choose to speak respectfully with others. Please make this choice going forward.
      55566ebf77914.image.jpg
      Last edited by Paradox; 08-07-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: merged 2 consecutive posts, please learn to use multi quote you're on here often enough to take the time to do so

How do we check what version of software we have? Had my XC90 serviced in April and not sure if the software was updated or not

It isnt since the update came out in may.

2006 Passion Red S60R

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast