SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

ATTN EVERYBODY.... No more free software!!!!

42K views 405 replies 94 participants last post by  Mbarocker 
#1 · (Edited)
ATTN EVERYBODY.... No more free software!!!! (edited OP)

Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free labor to the customer for software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but its doubtful because Nobody works for free :thumbdown:

NOTE: The software is still free as Volvo promises to its customers, but how do customers plan to get it to their vehicle? Tech's time and VIDA is not free.

Volvo's Service 2.0 is the package that we offer to our customers as a complimentary enhancement when they service their Volvo. Service 2.0 consists of the same software that can be found in our PDS or Total Upgrade software. This was developed as a no cost tool to create a differentiator from the independent workshops. Due to low installation of Service 2.0 it was determined in March 2018 Customer Service would compensate dealers in the U.S. for their labor to grow installation rates in an effort to increase customer retention and lower warranty expense for Volvo Cars USA.

However, after careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

I have no more specifics, just personal opinions/disappointment/anger!!!!

Email VCUSA with your displeasure of broken promises and poor customer support

See less See more
#294 ·
I'm due for my 50k in 500 miles. I've got the prepaid maintenance plus wear and I'd hope my dealer who has gotten most of my business won't nickle and dime me for any softeare. Though I suspect there isnt much new out update wise for a 15.5 S60.

Being this thread is tailored to Xc90s

#295 ·
Oh that's wrong. Very recent TCM update within the last year or so. Some infotainment updates, which are a PITA to apply.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

#297 ·
I know that I'm just stating that to assume there are no updates for 2015 cars is wrong.

#300 · (Edited)
I just had my 4yr/40K done. I've used Volvo of Austin since 2013 with our 2013 XC60. Back then, there was always a line item "Complementary Total Software Upgrade, a $149 Value" or something to that effect. It's the same type of blurb about the free loaner, free car wash, etc. It appears as a service line item. I recall seeing that even last year at my 3yr service.

I just had my service done yesterday, and when I arrived, I had a couple other items (turn signal malfunction warnings), leaks in sunroof at the car wash, rear wiper not working right and I reported that when I have 6-7 people in the car, sometimes I get service air suspension warnings. After having that dialog, I did ask, "You guys update all the software to the latest most stable builds right?". The service clerk said, "yeah we always do that, the software is always improving." The actual service advisor then asked me about the suspension warnings, as that was the one issue not obvious to them. I explained, it only happens when I have my entire extended family in the car, which was last Thanksgiving. It happened twice, outside of that one time per year, we basically never use the rear seats. He basically seemed to dismiss it and said yeah we might not be able to reproduce it. I just threw that in at the last second off of memory, almost didn't even bring it up, but this plays out interestingly.

I just got my car back, and there was no Total Software Upgrade line item. However, every other item was itemized including the loaner, car wash, 40K service and multi-point. The other issues were also addressed, pay note to the suspension one:

Turn Signal Malfunction - Replaced Wheel Hub Assembly (apparently this is common and there's some wiring issues in the steering hub that controls the wiper stalks and turn signals, so they replace the entire unit)
Leaky Sunroof - Replaced Seal
Rear Wiper - Nut loose, tightened to spec
Suspension Warnings/Error Messages - Performed Total Software Update

So I'm not sure if my dealer associated it with the suspension warning that rarely occurs to maybe be comped on it, or maybe that is the guidance for that issue. If I didn't have that, the other three things were well known and mechanical/electrical issues, not software. Had I not had that suspension comment, I wonder if I would've seen the free note or maybe not got the update?? I can confirm the software is updated because the Auto Start-Stop icon in the central dash has changed to the green circular "A" icon from the white "START" verbiage.

I intend to always ask for it, but I'm not sure I feel totally confident my dealer will keep doing it for free, but I feel if there's something they can justify as fixable via software/warranty, they'll bill the warranty company. My warranty expires in January, but I bought the extended from Steingold. It has a $100 deductible though, so I probably won't have little nuances like this fixed unless I'm already getting more serious work done, and this might limit my access to software updates unless my dealer is willing to do it as part of an annual maintenance.

#307 ·
On 7/23 I called my local dealer and scheduled an appointment for my 20K regular maintenance for my 2018 XC60 T8. The appointment date was 8/2/19. I had a minor wiper issue I asked them to look at and also requested they do a software update. I read this post on 7/31 and was aware of the policy change on "free" updates. I asked the service adviser to do the software update and he said no problem.

When I picked the car up I asked if they had done the software up date. The response was they had not done it but would for a charge of $76. He explained about the policy change from Volvo Corp and there was nothing they could do about it. 2 days later I got a call from their survey folks asking if I had received "Truly Exceptional Service". I explained how dissatisfied I was about the software update policy. 2 days later I got a repeat call from another survey person and explained the same thing. I then sent an email to the Genera Manager and Service Manager about the issue and how I saw it as a breech of the service promise they sold with the car when I bought it and that another local Volvo dealer (Steingold) was still including the update free as part of the 10/20/30 maintenance. .

Following the email I got a call from the Service Manager who apologized for the confusion and that they were blindsided by the Volvo Corp directive. He explained that going forward they will be including the Update as part of the regular maintenance services. When I brought the vehicle in for the update, he had the shop manager do it becuase Volvo was not reimbursing them for the work as explained by TECH.

Problem solved but a dumb policy by Volvo Corp. I think having another local dealer who was providing complimentary updates when done in conjunction with a regular maintenance helped also.

#309 ·
Took our XC in for warped rotor sensation about two weeks ago. I requested they also update the software since there was a May and August release. When they called to say the car was finished they told me they were having internet issues and didn't want to chance bricking the car. I could leave it there overnight and they'd do the updates the next day. I needed it for a trip and didn't want to use the loaner so I picked up and scheduled for the updates to be applied on 8/28. Dropped the car off for the software update and they applied it without charge. I didn't ask and they didn't mention the changes to Volvo's statement about updates.

#312 ·
I would certainly not do business with any dealer that isn't "participating". Sounds like some techs on this forum have beefs with their dealers. Maybe it's time to look elsewhere for better employers then.

#313 ·
That would usually require moving to another city, it isnt like volvo dealers are as plentiful as Ford shops.

#314 ·
I contacted Volvo Support and verified software upgrades are no longer free. I’m very disappointed. They are offering toe for life.

Hello Marcel,

In this instance Volvo has made a decision to discontinue the complimentary software upgrade. However we most recently initiated tow for life. Our complimentary services are continually being revaluated and from time to time you may see changes in services. This can change at any time and are sorry for any inconvenience.

We value your feedback and will forward this to the appropriate management for future consideration.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Maggie
Volvo Car USA
Announcing 'Tow for Life' Learn More

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#315 ·
I contacted Volvo Support and verified software upgrades are no longer free. I'm very disappointed. They are offering toe for life.

Hello Marcel,

In this instance Volvo has made a decision to discontinue the complimentary software upgrade. However we most recently initiated tow for life. Our complimentary services are continually being revaluated and from time to time you may see changes in services. This can change at any time and are sorry for any inconvenience.

We value your feedback and will forward this to the appropriate management for future consideration.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Maggie
Volvo Car USA
Announcing 'Tow for Life' Learn More

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The simplest of questions is... without a discretionary statement, and promised to prior owners, how are they legally allowed to revoke such services to owners of vehicles sold prior to the removal of this...? This, if we feel like doing so, sounds like an extremely simple lawsuit.

#316 ·
brought my car in complained about the bluetooth toggling back and forth. requested they look at updating perhaps that could fix the issue. we'll see. has anyone tried to get the update via bug?

#331 ·
Lol, Volvo is really trying hard to differentiate themselves from Tesla by not providing OTA *and* not providing free software updates. This is pretty short-sighted and I'm pretty sure my next few cars will not be Volvos. Tesla is much better at this

#338 ·
I just recieved a Volvo service mailer, right in there, "Complimentary Software Updates **" There is a caviat that says, "** New software required as part of a repair or accessory installation not included." Sure seems to imply that a normal service visit software update is 'complimentary'. Very clear Volvo, very clear.

Text Photograph Font Black-and-white Document

#339 ·
It has ALWAYS been that way

#348 ·
So you don't have a dual persona? Volvo Tech during the day. Lamborghini owner with a beach house on the French Riviera for the days off?

Think some people underestimate that you don't earn the full book rate. Just cause the shop rate is $125-150/r doesn't mean you earn the entirety of that amount.

#347 ·
i think this issue isn't that big of a deal. while your car is under warranty, simply make a case where their is a bug/issue then the dealership will go ahead and perform the update for free. they did it for me. to be honest i probably wouldn't want to have them done more than once a year anyways.

#349 ·
I don't think he was implying I make the shop rate. I think his point was there is little effort involved. We don't look at it solely in terms of effort though. We look at it in terms of time and efficiency. There are other jobs I could be doing instead that are more efficient.

#350 ·
Yes, "a large amount given the amount of work."

They're not paying the guys who wash the car the same hourly rate, and if the software update goes as planned it's less work than washing the car.

Realistically, having the techs do every update is the problem. The basic hookup and starting of the update process is not worth the tech's time, at least not at the usual rate their paid for actual expert work.

OTA updates would be the obvious ideal solution here, but they could also have the valets do this kind of work if there was no red tape involved. They'd also ideally have an entire team of techs who work hard enough for a good salary and benefits, and those techs would never have to work too hard. But we don't live in fantasy land, so...

#351 ·
I get what you're saying, but like I said it isn't all about effort. Because of the flat rate system, we have to think about this from an efficiency point of view as well. There's a lot of factors, none of which matter to the customer.

Unfortunately dealers are afraid to offer us a fair salary, so flat rate isn't going anywhere.

#352 ·
I get what you're saying, but like I said it isn't all about effort. Because of the flat rate system, we have to think about this from an efficiency point of view as well. There's a lot of factors, none of which matter to the customer.

Unfortunately dealers are afraid to offer us a fair salary, so flat rate isn't going anywhere.
I don't want to misquote you, but I believe you have indicated that at your shop, you make more with flat rate than if you were salary? So it all depends on the shop's output. A busy shop will definitely benefit the tech if paid per job. A slow shop offers the owner no incentive for salary, because if business doesn't materialize, they're paying techs to sit around.

So I'm not sure if there's a one size fits all answer on whether salary or flat rate rules.

How does the salary of a Tesla Tech compare to your flat rate? Not apples to apples here, but an idea I guess.

#353 ·
It depends on the salary, of course. I never said I make more on flat rate than I would on salary because I don't know what my salary would be. However, I do know the salary of Tesla techs in my area and I did say I make more on flat rate than they do on salary.

Dealers are afraid guys will slow down if they are on salary. If I asked them to pay me on salary next year and match what I made this year, they would say no. They want me to hustle to earn every cent.

If they would match what I made this year, I'd be happy and I wouldn't slow down. But I work with guys who absolutely would slow down.

#354 ·
It depends on the salary, of course. I never said I make more on flat rate than I would on salary because I don't know what my salary would be. However, I do know the salary of Tesla techs in my area and I did say I make more on flat rate than they do on salary.

Dealers are afraid guys will slow down if they are on salary. If I asked them to pay me on salary next year and match what I made this year, they would say no. They want me to hustle to earn every cent.

If they would match what I made this year, I'd be happy and I wouldn't slow down. But I work with guys who absolutely would slow down.
As much as this sounds callous, Dealers view Techs are an input / output asset. If you were salaried, there's no incentive to get cars fixed and out the door ASAP. But if you are paid by the job, you have all the motivation in the world to get repair jobs done efficiently, so that the next customer can have their car worked upon. Sort of a symbiotic relationship since Dealers make money by Volume and so do you.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Tesla-Service-Technician-Salaries-E43129_D_KO6,24.htm

https://www.paysa.com/salaries/tesla-motors--service-technician

Seems Tesla Techs on average make around $60,000 with the upper cusp in the mid 70s? Sounds like quite a hefty salary for a mechanic position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.