ATTN EVERYBODY.... No more free software!!!! - Page 9
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
      The discussion about paying techs flat rate per job versus hourly led me to this video on autonews.com:

https://www.autonews.com/video/its-m...ice-techs-hour

Was very interesting, I learned a little more . . .
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BostonDynasty View Post
      I have the Polestar upgrade and I read that the new update would show "Polestar" as a drive mode option, but I still don't see that. I was told that I had the latest software when I picked up the car, so I don't know who to believe and if I can't check the version myself, then finding the answer isn't as easy as I had hoped.
      Had our 2018 T5p* serviced in July for 10k miles and, indeed, drive mode changed to "Polestar Engineered".
      ---
      2004 XC70
      2012 XC60 T6
      2018 XC90 T5 Polestar

Not sure if anyone noticed, but this page regarding free software updates had been revised as of 8/8/2019. It still indicates software updates are free of charge when not required for repair/accessory work: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9218

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MJEWETT View Post
      Not sure if anyone noticed, but this page regarding free software updates had been revised as of 8/8/2019. It still indicates software updates are free of charge when not required for repair/accessory work: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9218
      All they did was add this back

*Complimentary software updates are available at your participating Volvo dealer.*

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Yep, but it says they are available at participating dealers. That was the wording they used when they weren't paying us for them before as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Yep, but it says they are available at participating dealers. That was the wording they used when they weren't paying us for them before as well.
      Good to know. Thanks @Tech. Hopefully my dealers here that I use are some of the *participating* ones... For me - fortunately, for the techs - PITA...

Hah!

Well, the timing of that change to re-insert "at your participating Volvo dealer", follows immediately after my back and forth emails with Volvo corporate up to 8/8 asking for the digital or print language stating a disclaimer that they could remove that complimentary service to buyers prior to 8/1.

I'd been in conversations with them since 8/2. Looks like this was what they threw together as a CYA.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      All they did was add this back

*Complimentary software updates are available at your participating Volvo dealer.*

Legal Jargon for: Participating Dealers... I.E. Those that either will pay their techs to do it or rope them into working for free.... It's like when you have a coupon that says valid only at participating locations...

My guess on Participating Locations - Slim to none....Techs don't work for free.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Hah!

Well, the timing of that change to re-insert "at your participating Volvo dealer", follows immediately after my back and forth emails with Volvo corporate up to 8/8 asking for the digital or print language stating a disclaimer that they could remove that complimentary service to buyers prior to 8/1.

I'd been in conversations with them since 8/2. Looks like this was what they threw together as a CYA.
      Yep. So they aren't lying. Updates are still free. Just not available at most, if not all dealers, sincedealers aren't going to absorb the cost and techs don't work for free.

It's the Pepsi Defense: Back in 1995 Pepsi ran ads for Pepsi Point being redeemable for a Harriet Jet at the rate of 7,000,000 Points. Well some guy managed to collect 7,000,000 and Pepsi refused to honor the "advertisement". Pepsi won the lawsuit stating that this was an overexageration of every teen boy's fantasy to fly to school in a military plane, and that there had never been any clear intent to fulfill this promotion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_v._Pepsico,_Inc.

Volvo isn't lying now....They are still offering FREE SOFTWARE. It's now up to the franchises to decide whether to continue or charge. So Volvo hasn't lied in it's marketing. It's still free. Just Few if any dealers are going to Honor that... And so long as even ONE DEALER does, Volvo can argue that it never made guarantees this program would include every and all dealers....

That's my guess on how they wiggle out of things... Layman's guess.

Last edited by Paradox; 08-14-2019 at 06:45 AM. Reason: merged 2 consecutive posts, use multi quote

Few if any dealers participating is an assumption.

There's already been members who have posted that their dealer did it for free.

Few if any dealers participating is an assumption.

There's already been members who have posted that their dealer did it for free.
      The people who posted had services booked before this change went into effect, but the service date itself was after this change occurred.. And several had to argue and haggle with the dealer to get the free software honored. What happens going forward is anyone's guess.

But being that YOU DON'T work for free, I see very little likelihood most franchises are going to absorb the cost. Which means either you DO IT for no charge (work for free) or customer pays.

So we all know what that means... $$$$ Customer $$$$
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 08-12-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Those dealers were probably caught off guard like everyone else. Now that there's been some time and they know about it, dealers should have a policy in place. I still think it's unlikely that a dealer is going to argue much over it when someone is coming in and buying their overpriced service. Some might actually build it into the price of services.

Those dealers were probably caught off guard like everyone else. Now that there's been some time and they know about it, dealers should have a policy in place. I still think it's unlikely that a dealer is going to argue much over it when someone is coming in and buying their overpriced service. Some might actually build it into the price of services.
      I've yet to know a dealer or its staff that works for free....You reaffirmed my stance...
      Some might actually build it into the price of services.
      Meaning the customer will ultimately pay one way or another.

So that 40K service will have a few hundred bucks tacked on (price increase) and the dealer gets to call it free software. When in fact the service price was raised to compensate for the monetary difference and lack of Volvo reimbursement.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      So that 40K service will have a few hundred bucks tacked on (price increase) and the dealer gets to call it free software. When in fact the service price was raised to compensate for the monetary difference and lack of Volvo reimbursement.
      Which kinda gets back to my primary complaint and what I've been flagging to Volvo Cars USA, and that's that in that scenario we're paying twice for that software. NOTHING is free. Volvo Cars USA builds that software update cost into the price of the car. Whether a dealership outright charges for the software update in conjunction with the regular service intervals, or if they pad their overall prices to absorb it, it's the same outcome. The owner is paying twice for the software and labor.

I'm due for my 50k in 500 miles. I've got the prepaid maintenance plus wear and I'd hope my dealer who has gotten most of my business won't nickle and dime me for any softeare. Though I suspect there isnt much new out update wise for a 15.5 S60.

Being this thread is tailored to Xc90s

I'm due for my 50k in 500 miles. I've got the prepaid maintenance plus wear and I'd hope my dealer who has gotten most of my business won't nickle and dime me for any softeare. Though I suspect there isnt much new out update wise for a 15.5 S60.

Being this thread is tailored to Xc90s
      Oh that's wrong. Very recent TCM update within the last year or so. Some infotainment updates, which are a PITA to apply.

2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Most infotainment updates aren't in the Service 2.0 package anyway (for P3 cars)
      Last edited by Tech; 08-12-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Most infotainment updates aren't in the Service 2.0 package anyway (for P3 cars)
      I know that I'm just stating that to assume there are no updates for 2015 cars is wrong.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      Oh that's wrong. Very recent TCM update within the last year or so. Some infotainment updates, which are a PITA to apply.

Had my car in back in February for the 40K. This year I've been plowing on miles. So took me 6 months to do 10K. Still only at 50K and I highly doubt I'll even hit much above 90K in the next 34 months when prepaid + cpo expire.

Right now, I had a period where I had to do an unusual amount of driving due to car accident, health stuff, life, etc.

Any updates since February 2019 I might be missing? I am going to request dealer do any necessary software. See what they tell me. Seeing they've done the 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50K, I'd really hope they won't be pricks. As they'll get my Brake + Rotor Job when due and the 60-100K.

What's service 2.0 include on my 15.5 S60 (P3)? Or is this update not applicable?
      Last edited by Paradox; 08-14-2019 at 06:45 AM. Reason: merged 2 consecutive posts, please learn to use multi quote

What's service 2.0 include on my 15.5 S60 (P3)? Or is this update not applicable?
      Depends on the car. I'd need the VIN to see.

I just had my 4yr/40K done. I've used Volvo of Austin since 2013 with our 2013 XC60. Back then, there was always a line item "Complementary Total Software Upgrade, a $149 Value" or something to that effect. It's the same type of blurb about the free loaner, free car wash, etc. It appears as a service line item. I recall seeing that even last year at my 3yr service.

I just had my service done yesterday, and when I arrived, I had a couple other items (turn signal malfunction warnings), leaks in sunroof at the car wash, rear wiper not working right and I reported that when I have 6-7 people in the car, sometimes I get service air suspension warnings. After having that dialog, I did ask, "You guys update all the software to the latest most stable builds right?". The service clerk said, "yeah we always do that, the software is always improving." The actual service advisor then asked me about the suspension warnings, as that was the one issue not obvious to them. I explained, it only happens when I have my entire extended family in the car, which was last Thanksgiving. It happened twice, outside of that one time per year, we basically never use the rear seats. He basically seemed to dismiss it and said yeah we might not be able to reproduce it. I just threw that in at the last second off of memory, almost didn't even bring it up, but this plays out interestingly.

I just got my car back, and there was no Total Software Upgrade line item. However, every other item was itemized including the loaner, car wash, 40K service and multi-point. The other issues were also addressed, pay note to the suspension one:

Turn Signal Malfunction - Replaced Wheel Hub Assembly (apparently this is common and there's some wiring issues in the steering hub that controls the wiper stalks and turn signals, so they replace the entire unit)
      Leaky Sunroof - Replaced Seal
      Rear Wiper - Nut loose, tightened to spec
      Suspension Warnings/Error Messages - Performed Total Software Update

So I'm not sure if my dealer associated it with the suspension warning that rarely occurs to maybe be comped on it, or maybe that is the guidance for that issue. If I didn't have that, the other three things were well known and mechanical/electrical issues, not software. Had I not had that suspension comment, I wonder if I would've seen the free note or maybe not got the update?? I can confirm the software is updated because the Auto Start-Stop icon in the central dash has changed to the green circular "A" icon from the white "START" verbiage.

I intend to always ask for it, but I'm not sure I feel totally confident my dealer will keep doing it for free, but I feel if there's something they can justify as fixable via software/warranty, they'll bill the warranty company. My warranty expires in January, but I bought the extended from Steingold. It has a $100 deductible though, so I probably won't have little nuances like this fixed unless I'm already getting more serious work done, and this might limit my access to software updates unless my dealer is willing to do it as part of an annual maintenance.
      Last edited by BrianV; 08-13-2019 at 09:57 AM.
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      '18 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Tri-coat Red - Performance Upgrade Package, Enhanced AutoPilot
      SOLD - '13 XC60 R-Design - Ice White - Platinum, Climate Pkg w/ Boosters, BLIS

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
      I just had my 4yr/40K done. I've used Volvo of Austin since 2013 with our 2013 XC60. Back then, there was always a line item "Complementary Total Software Upgrade, a $149 Value" or something to that effect. It's the same type of blurb about the free loaner, free car wash, etc. It appears as a service line item. I recall seeing that even last year at my 3yr service.

I just had my service done yesterday, and when I arrived, I had a couple other items (turn signal malfunction warnings), leaks in sunroof at the car wash, rear wiper not working right and I reported that when I have 6-7 people in the car, sometimes I get service air suspension warnings. After having that dialog, I did ask, "You guys update all the software to the latest most stable builds right?". The service clerk said, "yeah we always do that, the software is always improving." The actual service advisor then asked me about the suspension warnings, as that was the one issue not obvious to them. I explained, it only happens when I have my entire extended family in the car, which was last Thanksgiving. It happened twice, outside of that one time per year, we basically never use the rear seats. He basically seemed to dismiss it and said yeah we might not be able to reproduce it. I just threw that in at the last second off of memory, almost didn't even bring it up, but this plays out interestingly.

I just got my car back, and there was no Total Software Upgrade line item. However, every other item was itemized including the loaner, car wash, 40K service and multi-point. The other issues were also addressed, pay note to the suspension one:

Turn Signal Malfunction - Replaced Wheel Hub Assembly (apparently this is common and there's some wiring issues in the steering hub that controls the wiper stalks and turn signals, so they replace the entire unit)
      Leaky Sunroof - Replaced Seal
      Rear Wiper - Nut loose, tightened to spec
      Suspension Warnings/Error Messages - Performed Total Software Update

So I'm not sure if my dealer associated it with the suspension warning that rarely occurs to maybe be comped on it, or maybe that is the guidance for that issue. If I didn't have that, the other three things were well known and mechanical/electrical issues, not software. Had I not had that suspension comment, I wonder if I would've seen the free note or maybe not got the update?? I can confirm the software is updated because the Auto Start-Stop icon in the central dash has changed to the green circular "A" icon from the white "START" verbiage.

I intend to always ask for it, but I'm not sure I feel totally confident my dealer will keep doing it for free, but I feel if there's something they can justify as fixable via software/warranty, they'll bill the warranty company. My warranty expires in January, but I bought the extended from Steingold. It has a $100 deductible though, so I probably won't have little nuances like this fixed unless I'm already getting more serious work done, and this might limit my access to software updates unless my dealer is willing to do it as part of an annual maintenance.
      What plan did you buy from Steingold?

Coming up on my 50 k service, and I plan on saying the backup camera display can be quite delayed at startup. Would this issue lead to a warranty covered software update?
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post
      Coming up on my 50 k service, and I plan on saying the backup camera display can be quite delayed at startup. Would this issue lead to a warranty covered software update?
      Yea mine too is very slow at startup. It’s frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post
      Nah, that's just a borderline quibble. Tell 'em that the backup camera display occasionally doesn't disappear when you shift from reverse to forward and that you have to pull over, shut the car down for a few minutes, and then restart, after which the backup camera finally disappears. Ask me how I know that this happens.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

Quote Originally Posted by BProperties View Post
      What plan did you buy from Steingold?
      3 extra services without wear and tear.
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      '18 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Tri-coat Red - Performance Upgrade Package, Enhanced AutoPilot
      SOLD - '13 XC60 R-Design - Ice White - Platinum, Climate Pkg w/ Boosters, BLIS

Check the link now. It has been removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/23 I called my local dealer and scheduled an appointment for my 20K regular maintenance for my 2018 XC60 T8. The appointment date was 8/2/19. I had a minor wiper issue I asked them to look at and also requested they do a software update. I read this post on 7/31 and was aware of the policy change on "free" updates. I asked the service adviser to do the software update and he said no problem.

When I picked the car up I asked if they had done the software up date. The response was they had not done it but would for a charge of $76. He explained about the policy change from Volvo Corp and there was nothing they could do about it. 2 days later I got a call from their survey folks asking if I had received "Truly Exceptional Service". I explained how dissatisfied I was about the software update policy. 2 days later I got a repeat call from another survey person and explained the same thing. I then sent an email to the Genera Manager and Service Manager about the issue and how I saw it as a breech of the service promise they sold with the car when I bought it and that another local Volvo dealer (Steingold) was still including the update free as part of the 10/20/30 maintenance. .

Following the email I got a call from the Service Manager who apologized for the confusion and that they were blindsided by the Volvo Corp directive. He explained that going forward they will be including the Update as part of the regular maintenance services. When I brought the vehicle in for the update, he had the shop manager do it becuase Volvo was not reimbursing them for the work as explained by TECH.

Problem solved but a dumb policy by Volvo Corp. I think having another local dealer who was providing complimentary updates when done in conjunction with a regular maintenance helped also.
      Current
      OSD 2018 XC60 T8 | Onyx Black | Blonde/Blonde Int | Heated Fr Seats & Steering Wheel | Convenience-Vision-Advanced Packages | Air Suspension | 20" Wheels
      OSD 2011 C70 | Flamenco Red

Quote Originally Posted by mrhobie View Post
      Check the link now. It has been removed.

Of course it has.

Volvo Corp reads this site.

Hi Volvo Corp. People are gonna be P1SSY about this. Please do the needful and fix your scheisse post haste.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Took our XC in for warped rotor sensation about two weeks ago. I requested they also update the software since there was a May and August release. When they called to say the car was finished they told me they were having internet issues and didn't want to chance bricking the car. I could leave it there overnight and they'd do the updates the next day. I needed it for a trip and didn't want to use the loaner so I picked up and scheduled for the updates to be applied on 8/28. Dropped the car off for the software update and they applied it without charge. I didn't ask and they didn't mention the changes to Volvo's statement about updates.
      '18 XC90 Inscription
      Crystal White, Maroon Brown, 4C, B&W, Convenience, 21" 8 Spoke Wheels, P*

I had my first servicing done on 08/30 and the dealer said the upgrade was free. This is a brand new dealership that opened in Durham, NC. They were just happy to see customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykaar View Post
      I had my first servicing done on 08/30 and the dealer said the upgrade was free. This is a brand new dealership that opened in Durham, NC. They were just happy to see customers.
      So Johnson Finally opened? I love competition, it will keep VOC on their toes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

I would certainly not do business with any dealer that isn't "participating". Sounds like some techs on this forum have beefs with their dealers. Maybe it's time to look elsewhere for better employers then.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      I would certainly not do business with any dealer that isn't "participating". Sounds like some techs on this forum have beefs with their dealers. Maybe it's time to look elsewhere for better employers then.
      That would usually require moving to another city, it isnt like volvo dealers are as plentiful as Ford shops.

2006 Passion Red S60R

I contacted Volvo Support and verified software upgrades are no longer free. I’m very disappointed. They are offering toe for life.

Hello Marcel,

In this instance Volvo has made a decision to discontinue the complimentary software upgrade. However we most recently initiated tow for life. Our complimentary services are continually being revaluated and from time to time you may see changes in services. This can change at any time and are sorry for any inconvenience.

We value your feedback and will forward this to the appropriate management for future consideration.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Maggie
      Volvo Car USA
      Announcing 'Tow for Life' Learn More

Quote Originally Posted by mrhobie View Post
      I contacted Volvo Support and verified software upgrades are no longer free. I’m very disappointed. They are offering toe for life.

Hello Marcel,

In this instance Volvo has made a decision to discontinue the complimentary software upgrade. However we most recently initiated tow for life. Our complimentary services are continually being revaluated and from time to time you may see changes in services. This can change at any time and are sorry for any inconvenience.

We value your feedback and will forward this to the appropriate management for future consideration.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Maggie
      Volvo Car USA
      Announcing 'Tow for Life' Learn More

The simplest of questions is... without a discretionary statement, and promised to prior owners, how are they legally allowed to revoke such services to owners of vehicles sold prior to the removal of this...? This, if we feel like doing so, sounds like an extremely simple lawsuit.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast