No more free software updates
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

No more free software updates

Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.
      Would you be able to comment on how much these updates would actually cost the dealership? If the charge for getting software updates is not ridiculously high, I wouldn't mind this. I'm assuming an hour's worth of labor every time I go in for my 10k mile service?
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

So are they retro-actively revising the service agreements then, or it's effective starting 8/1 for new car sales and service agreements going forward?

Their reasoning makes no sense to me. They're saying it's under-utilized (so it costs them LESS than anticipated) so they're going to remove it from the service agreement when it sounds good as a sales tool?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      So are they retro-actively revising the service agreements then, or it's effective starting 8/1 for new car sales and service agreements going forward?

Their reasoning makes no sense to me. They're saying it's under-utilized (so it costs them LESS than anticipated) so they're going to remove it from the service agreement when it sounds good as a sales tool?
      Penny pinching tactics! The Automotive Industry is on a cyclic downward slope of the Bell curve since a year now.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Would you be able to comment on how much these updates would actually cost the dealership? If the charge for getting software updates is not ridiculously high, I wouldn't mind this. I'm assuming an hour's worth of labor every time I go in for my 10k mile service?
      I can not speak for every dealer but I think it would be FAIR to ask customers to pay the 1/2 hour for software updates that Volvo use to pay us for. Its a gamble because things can go wrong and take software downloaded 1-5 hours but its also a way to serve our customers at a reduced cost.

Volvo has represented publicly on their website that software updates are to be included at no charge at each annual service during the warranty period. All purchases were made with this understanding.

If they are altering this, they are subjecting themselves to an onerous class action lawsuit, as well as substantial customer blow back that will only damage their reputation.

I don't understand their comment 'less than half of all cars eligible are getting it'. Are less than half of owners not getting their free preventive maintenance service?

They have every right to eliminate it as a covered service for sales going forward, but they are in deep trouble if they are altering warranty terms from those they represented to all previous customers.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
      Volvo has represented publicly on their website that software updates are to be included at no charge at each annual service during the warranty period. All purchases were made with this understanding.

If they are altering this, they are subjecting themselves to an onerous class action lawsuit, as well as substantial customer blow back that will only damage their reputation.

I don't understand their comment 'less than half of all cars eligible are getting it'. Are less than half of owners not getting their free preventive maintenance service?

They have every right to eliminate it as a covered service for sales going forward, but they are in deep trouble if they are altering warranty terms from those they represented to all previous customers.
      It isn't warranty terms. If your car is under warranty and there is a software update it needs to fix something, it will be done under warranty.

I was under the impression when I bought the car that updates would be included at no charge at the 10k/annual service. Now that is in danger of being taken away can anyone point to a document where that was stated in writing since it now seems that we will need that to get what we think we bought.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      I was under the impression when I bought the car that updates would be included at no charge at the 10k/annual service. Now that is in danger of being taken away can anyone point to a document where that was stated in writing since it now seems that we will need that to get what we think we bought.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
      It's still on their website. Google Service by Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      It isn't warranty terms. If your car is under warranty and there is a software update it needs to fix something, it will be done under warranty.
      Thank you, Tech, I stand corrected. Complimentary Software Updates are not associated with warranty work.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...ftware-updates

"Complimentary Software Updates

There are many small computers in today's cars. As it is with most computers, the software might need an update from time to time. These updates may involve things like optimizing the engine management system for increased efficiency, optimizing the climate control for airflow and temperature management or improving infotainment quality. Volvo is continually developing new software and providing updates as a way to ensure that your car is operating at its best. It is difficult to specify exactly what an update will mean for your particular Volvo, however, if your vehicle was in good repair to begin with, there may not be anything you notice in normal day-to-day driving once an update has been performed.

Software updates apply to all Volvos from model year 2000 onward, with the exception of the Volvo C70 up to model year 2005 and S/V40 up to model year 2003. The complimentary software updates are for enhancements for your car only. Charges apply for new software required as part of a repair or accessory installation. "

Also, every US dealership's website uses a standard template. Go to yours and find the 'Service by Volvo' page. Probably good to take a screen shot in the event they intend to change it. Here's one for a dealership I picked at random:

https://www.volvocarswalnutcreek.com...nd-service.htm

They all make the same representation:

"Our promises to you
      With Service by Volvo, our mission is to make life less complicated for you and meet all your unique needs: Lifetime Parts & Labor Warranty, Complimentary Software Updates, Complimentary Diagnostics, Car Wash and Alternative Transportation.

Complimentary Software Updates
      We're constantly improving the software for our cars. That means every time you come in for service, we'll make sure your vehicle's operating systems are up-to-date with the latest software."

Frankly, I don't see how Volvo can extricate themselves from an obligation which many can say was a determining factor when electing to purchase their product without facing penalty and consequences.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Frankly, I don't see how Volvo can extricate themselves from an obligation which many can say was a determining factor when electing to purchase their product without facing penalty and consequences.
      Volvo wants us techs to do more free work.... they have been screwing us for years and its getting worse now that they have to cut $219 million in spending as well as 750 layoffs.

Let's try to consolidate this conversation to the one larger thread in the XC90 forum. No reason to have this splintered across multiple forums.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-free-software!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      Volvo wants us techs to do more free work.... they have been screwing us for years and its getting worse now that they have to cut $219 million in spending as well as 750 layoffs.
      I am a happy Volvo customer. I like the dealership that does my service and I like the product.

You sound unhappy. If you're not happy, then leave and take your skills elsewhere. Unemployment is at record low level. Jobs are plentiful.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

I am a happy Volvo customer. I like the dealership that does my service and I like the product.

You sound unhappy. If you're not happy, then leave and take your skills elsewhere. Unemployment is at record low level. Jobs are plentiful.
      I think you're missing his point. It is not about having to change jobs, it is about a company treating their technicians well.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

After paying an extra $150 yesterday for a tech to install a software update that costs $70-$100 in Europe solely because of differences in how techs are paid, I understand this somewhat.

Money doesn't grow on trees. Of course I want everyone to be paid for their work, but milking a software update for several hours of "labor" is complete bull****. Someone has to pay for that. When I'm paying for it, it pisses me off but I realize there's not much I can do about it. Volvo doesn't have to put up with it the same way.

The techs were benefiting from this reimbursement far more than the customers, the dealerships, or Volvo Cars US. The alternative is passing the cost on to the consumer without giving them the choice by subsidizing these through the purchase price of the vehicle. Volvo is making the right move here, sorry. I didn't get a free update yesterday and that was disappointing in some ways. But not $150 disappointing. We'll have to pick and choose which updates we want, and hopefully this will also improve communication about what is included and service techs will sell on it by saying "this update is available, here's what it costs." Hopefully, they will also say "have you been having any problems with your car such as random restarts of the infotainment system" and getting a warranty job done every time there's an opportunity. But this is, without a doubt, the right move.

Believe me, every industry deals with the same thing - some greedy or lazy people make us all have to actually work harder for less money these days. This is how markets are driven.

China and Sweden likely aren't reimbursing Volvo Cars US for this, either, so this has nothing to do with Sweden or China.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      After paying an extra $150 yesterday for a tech to install a software update that costs $70-$100 in Europe solely because of differences in how techs are paid, I understand this somewhat.

Money doesn't grow on trees. Of course I want everyone to be paid for their work, but milking a software update for several hours of "labor" is complete bull****. Someone has to pay for that. When I'm paying for it, it pisses me off but I realize there's not much I can do about it. Volvo doesn't have to put up with it the same way.

The techs were benefiting from this reimbursement far more than the customers, the dealerships, or Volvo Cars US. The alternative is passing the cost on to the consumer without giving them the choice by subsidizing these through the purchase price of the vehicle. Volvo is making the right move here, sorry. I didn't get a free update yesterday and that was disappointing in some ways. But not $150 disappointing. We'll have to pick and choose which updates we want, and hopefully this will also improve communication about what is included and service techs will sell on it by saying "this update is available, here's what it costs." Hopefully, they will also say "have you been having any problems with your car such as random restarts of the infotainment system" and getting a warranty job done every time there's an opportunity. But this is, without a doubt, the right move.

Believe me, every industry deals with the same thing - some greedy or lazy people make us all have to actually work harder for less money these days. This is how markets are driven.

China and Sweden likely aren't reimbursing Volvo Cars US for this, either, so this has nothing to do with Sweden or China.
      See my response in the XC90 thread on this.

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      I think you're missing his point. It is not about having to change jobs, it is about a company treating their technicians well.
      I'm not missing anything. He's an employee of a dealership, not Volvo. Volvo and dealerships made representations to potential customers that software updates would be complimentary. If they change that, that's a matter between owner/customers, their dealerships and Volvo. He just needs to get back to work. If he's unhappy where he works and if his employer (a dealership) is not treating him well, he should leave rather than rant on a forum. That's true for my employees and all working people.
      Last edited by aardvarkbark; 08-07-2019 at 12:22 PM.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

The thread about this in the XC90 forum was the most active, so if you have questions, check there. But I'll update this one as well.

As of today, Volvo has a new policy for the Service 2.0 software update.

Program Eligibility & Parameters

· Dealers must have VIDA Wi-Fi installed to be eligible for reimbursement.

· The program will be effective from November 1, 2019 – December 31, 2020.

· Service 2.0 must be performed with a scheduled maintenance service .

· Reimbursement is for labor only, software is delivered at no charge.

· Retailers will be reimbursed for ONE Service 2.0 software update per vehicle within a 12 month period.

· Punch time is not required for software downloads and Factory Scheduled Maintenance claims.

· Service 2.0 is only applicable to SPA and CMA vehicles. (P3 vehicles are excluded)

· Can be performed 1 time during the course of the program when performing a scheduled maintenance service.

· Vehicle inquiry must be checked prior to performing to confirm vehicle eligibility.

· Software 2.0 is not claimable with a workshop visit performed as a result of a customer complaint and/or when a total upgrade is claimed to address a customer concern.

· Service 2.0 does not replace PDS Software and cannot be claimed prior to the customer taking new car delivery.

· Service 2.0 can be installed during the reconditioning/inspection process outlined within the Certified by Volvo program guidelines.
      Last edited by Tech; 11-08-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Thank you
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

If you bought a Volvo in US while Volvo was representing free software upgrades, and Volvo denies such upgrades -- Volvo will not only be required to provide such upgrades, but will face hefty fines, as well.

If Volvo USA denies promised upgrades, they need to suffer economically. And they will.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

If you bought a Volvo in US while Volvo was representing free software upgrades, and Volvo denies such upgrades -- Volvo will not only be required to provide such upgrades, but will face hefty fines, as well.

If Volvo USA denies promised upgrades, they need to suffer economically. And they will.
      No, they won't. Because the updates are back. Relax.

Wife's S90 was in for service earlier this week. Dealer did the software update at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by rrohrbeck View Post
      Wife's S90 was in for service earlier this week. Dealer did the software update at no charge.
      Yes, several people reported here that even when Volvo stopped reimbursing them for the update, some dealers were still providing them. Some folks just like the drama.

Updates under warranty wouldn't have been affected. It's pretty obvious from the original text that Volvo was offering this beyond the warranty period for good will and customer retention. The updates are generally just tweaks, not something required for functionality of your vehicle. Right or wrong, the thinking is why give something away for free if it's not bringing in new business. It's not a matter of the cost being lower than expected... It's like a store offering buy one get one free but no new customers coming in, and the folks that used to pay for two now only pay for one.... As for the techs... always remember, you're paying for a person and facility able to replace engines and transmissions to do a software upgrade. The labor rate doesn't change because there is other work lined up that takes much more skill and it doesn't generally make sense to hire someone to just do software upgrades and set up a separate area for them. $150 is not hours and hours... it's probably a single hour.

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements