No more free software updates
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

No more free software updates

Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

Do NOT ASK ME WHY.... I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ELSE!!

I recommend writing Volvo Cars USA and express your concern/anger/disappointment as I feel the same as you
      Last edited by gunshow; 07-31-2019 at 09:44 AM.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hopefully this does not apply to Volvo Canada.

I know at my local dealership, there are a few large poster in the Service Department listing services offered during the annual maintenance visits - and Free Software Updates is listed there. If it does apply to Canada - looks like they will need to redo all of their marketing material and these posters.....

Wow, just wow. Not a customer first move by breaking promises.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My response from the XC90 post about this, before I saw it in several areas...

If less than half the cars are updated, I suspect this is a failure on VCUSA to push this down the pipe toward dealers.

Again, the VCUSA dealer network seems ... at best ... half-arsed. (No offense to the good techs posting or reading here). I've got like 5 dealers in my area. Every single one of them suck for various reasons and I'm left with opting for the best of the worst.

However, I am seeing one of them start to shine again.

That said, the issue is this is a failure on the part of VCUSA to make the Volvo brand better.

I don't know what the software was like prior to the recent major update (on my 2019 XC60) but I can say that it isn't bad at all. We've seen Doug Demuro comment about the software being really good recently (S60 Pole* review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQzEKHI2Tw ).

Did this go to their head and give them pause about software updates?

The logic seems... to be lost here.

Color me confused.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Quote Originally Posted by spas1 View Post
      Hopefully this does not apply to Volvo Canada.

I know at my local dealership, there are a few large poster in the Service Department listing services offered during the annual maintenance visits - and Free Software Updates is listed there. If it does apply to Canada - looks like they will need to redo all of their marketing material and these posters.....
      This applies to Volvo North America... I assume entire world/company worldwide.

Idiotic move by Volvo.

Good companies are able to understand that there is real value in customers being happier with better performing (and safer) vehicles.

The logic seems... to be lost here.
      I imagine the only attempt at logic here is "saving" money.

I recommend writing Volvo Cars USA and express your concern/anger/disappointment as I feel the same as you
      Precisely what I have done.
      Last edited by ssskelton; 07-31-2019 at 09:47 AM.

I don’t understand, so how am I supposed to get software upgrades going forward? Pay for them as an entirely separate item?
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum

As far as I'm concerned this was part of what I purchased and isn't an optional 'complementary service'. It's like the 10k services. I for one will fight to continue to get what was part of my purchase. Is there a place that it is documented that this was part of the previous policy. If it's online we need to save it so it doesn't just disappear and we have nothing to point to in writing.

If Volvo chooses to eliminate free updates for new purchases moving forward that's their prerogative but is very short sighted and would have made me about twice about my purchase. Service revenue over customer satisfaction and safety is a losing business model in the long term in my book.

Also, I would have thought that having the Volvo fleet on the same software version would save Volvo time and money for under warranty fixes but I guess the idea is they plan on trying to pass these costs on to their loyal customers.

Also, the fundemental business model between Volvo corporate, dealers and service techs needs revamping. That's partly what Tesla has/is doing.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      If Volvo chooses to eliminate free updates for new purchases moving forward that's their prerogative but is very short sighted and would have made me about twice about my purchase.
      I agree. Do not break/remove a 5 year promise for current customers.

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill.
      There may not be that much upside, but I can guarantee that there will be a substantial downside to this move.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      There may not be that much upside, but I can guarantee that there will be a substantial downside to this move.
      What I would like to know from Volvo is what research went into this decision. We own an 18 and and a 19 Volvo and I have never received a questionnaire, phone call, email or text asking me if I was either satisfied or not satisfied with any related software updates. How can they make a statement that there is no upside if they don't ask their customers. As other have said this is backward logic. If they think there is no upside just wait until Volvo dealers start telling customers they have to pay for software updates to fix problems. A firestorm will ensue and as typical Volvo they will back track. We are on our 10th Volvo since 2001. Crap like this is what makes me think our next purchase may be something else. ARGH!
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      No mention of it on Volvo Canada's webpage or in press releases... yet.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
      01 v70 2.4T

This like Apple telling you no more free OS updates. If this is true I'm cancelling my order and not buying any more Volvos. BAD idiotic move! This tells you all you need to know about this company.
      Last edited by xgman; 07-31-2019 at 10:56 AM.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

somewhere in vt, at the end of very dirt roads
      this is not the company i've bought my several volvos from.
      when companies like tesla upgrade the firmware for free and wherever the car finds a secure network connection, for volvo corporate to blindly say their dealers haven't been doing their job in keeping our cars up to date and safe so the answer is to start charging for it. that just means fewer owners will have the updates.
      it's corporate think.
      2018 "polestarred"® XC60 T6 "R" design in electric silver with volvo's 21" summer wheels/tires, 19" BBS winter wheels with relatively quiet Michelin X-Ice
      2007 honda s2000

BTW, I think we should thank Tech and gunshow for their communication here.

Regardless of the message, many of us appreciate the communication that's happening.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Quote Originally Posted by The Director View Post

I cant make it more clear.... its released on our internal website portal. You can be skeptical but its fact.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      This like Apple telling you no more free OS updates. If this is true I'm cancelling my order and not buying any more Volvos. BAD idiotic move! This tells you all you need to know about this company.
      I recommend emailing Volvo and telling them this. You will be cancelling your order if you are serious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Director View Post

Volvo’s Service 2.0 is the package that we offer to our customers as a complimentary enhancement when they service their Volvo. Service 2.0 consists of the same software that can be found in our PDS or Total Upgrade software. This was developed as a no cost tool to create a differentiator from the independent workshops. Due to low installation of Service 2.0 it was determined in March 2018 Customer Service would compensate dealers in the U.S. for their labor to grow installation rates in an effort to increase customer retention and lower warranty expense for Volvo Cars USA.

However, after careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

I'm sure the fundamental logic here and the bigger upside for dealers is that the fewer cars that have the latest software the greater the apportunity for dealers to scam their customers not just for the software updates but for other services. If a customer has a problem they have to come in and get upsold vs having things proactively addressed thru regular updates. Definitely a dinosaur business model and not one to promote custom satisfaction and loyalty.

Volvo is undermining its fundamental company reputation for safety, quality and loyal customers. Well done Volvo!

2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

My dealer just did the right thing and just told me they will be offering free updates to their customers when in for service. Only problem is if I move out of that area...

"after careful analysis VCUSA", ... whoever did that analysis should be run out of the auto industry entirely!

My dealer just did the right thing and just told me they will be offering free updates to their customers when in for service. Only problem is if I move out of that area...

"after careful analysis VCUSA", ... whoever did that analysis should be run out of the auto industry entirely!
      That is a good dealer and may be paying their techs internally to perform the updates.

Due to the gamble of SW crashes and cars going "upside" down, I/we will not be doing anything for free.

Due to the gamble of SW crashes and cars going "upside" down, I/we will not be doing anything for free.
      "upside down"? huh?

"upside down"? huh?
      When the SW crashes, usually for no reason at all, it turns the car into what we call "upside down" mode. Many modules crash and stop talking. This requires individual sw reloads to each dead module and sometimes requires Volvo corporate to remote into our cars and get them back online/running.

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      BTW, I think we should thank Tech and gunshow for their communication here.

Regardless of the message, many of us appreciate the communication that's happening.
      Yep. Thanks Fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

I guess we will have to come up with fake software-related problems ("Sensus is running slow", etc) when we bring our cars in for service, to trigger software updates (at least under warranty).
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      past:
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      I guess we will have to come up with fake software-related problems ("Sensus is running slow", etc) when we bring our cars in for service, to trigger software updates (at least under warranty).
      Luckily there are enough bugs to not need fake problems! I'm saving some of mine for the next service.

As far as I can remember, 4-5 months ago you wrote that Volvo, in contrast to others, has free upgrades

It depends on the market:

10 years / 150 000 KM free service

5 years / 150 000 KM full warranty

Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by BigBang; 07-31-2019 at 01:28 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Interesting, tried doing a google search for related information and not seeing anything, so it seems to be a quiet thing so far.
      Current - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription - Bright Silver - Amber Interior
      Previous - 2013 XC60 T6 R-Design - Passion Red - Black/Beige Sport Interior

I wouldn't expect a major press release bragging about taking this away. The announcement dealers see is so we are aware not to make any warranty claims for the Service 2.0 update because they will not be paid.

No, I wouldn't expect a press announcement either, but I would expect this to be picked up by the trade press. Could be that they haven't wrote anything about it as yet, but I would be pretty sure that it would appear with the appropriate commentary.

Well so far it is (or was) an internal document shared only with retailers. So someone would have to notice the free software update mention is missing (presumably tomorrow) or someone would have to leak it for anyone else to have any idea.

Quote Originally Posted by pvoveris View Post
      No, I wouldn't expect a press announcement either, but I would expect this to be picked up by the trade press. Could be that they haven't wrote anything about it as yet, but I would be pretty sure that it would appear with the appropriate commentary.
      This is silly, nobody will report on it. Volvo tells us, the dealer, so then we are forced to break the news to customers (absorbing the anger). OR Volvo expects us techs to do more work for free.

Interesting, I sent an email to Customer Care this morning and this is the response I got, of course the statement is true, if it doesn't apply until the 1st of August, also customer care is probably the last to find out anything as well.

"Volvo has not announced that we are no longer providing complimentary software updates at the time of service. Charges apply for new software required as part of a repair or accessory installation."

I just got off the phone with Volvo Cars/Customer service1 (800) 550-5658. Who swears only 1 person is working right now, lol. They say they spoke with a supervisor who says they have no record of Volvo recalling this feature....

So take that with a grain of salt.

So what is the price of a software upgrade? If it is like the price of a cup of coffee, maybe it’s not that bad.

Keep this is mind, BMW charges its customers a monthly fee so they can use Apple CarPlay, a service that many manufacturers give out for free.

I've lost track of the amount of times people have called Customer Care to fact check and gotten the wrong information.

The information posted is from a portal that I very much doubt Customer Care workers have access to. As of now, whether anyone wants to believe it it is true.

Cost for the software is $0.01 plus labor. Expect to pay .5 to 1.0 labor unless dealers start menu pricing them.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast