Ordering a 2020 XC60 T8
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Ordering a 2020 XC60 T8

Had a discussion with a local Volvo dealer about ordering a new 2020 XC60 T8. Dealer was not wanting to talk price. Just wanted $1k deposit and then they would place my order.

Is this how itís done? Supposedly Iím not committed and can get my deposit back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've never had that happen. Usually they won't place an order until a price has been agreed on.

I'd walk away.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

It's a game of patience. Someone will have these cars in stock.
      The savings on gas and upfront price is so much greater. Being its a hybrid the Resell value is lower and getting a great deal is just a matter of time. Extra battery extra maintenance. Also less hold charge for next owner making the value drop so fast. I got a T6 for that reason.
      Locking the numbers down than a deposit makes more sense.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

OP, Iíd walk away too.

I ordered an XC60 T8 in early October. It should be being built literally right now, this week. There are many ways to go at this, and Iím sure some may say my approach left me paying more than I needed to, but everyone has an opinion. Iím happy with the transaction so far and thatís what counts for me. If it helps, here is how my order process went:

• I knew I had multiple Volvo dealers within an hour drive of me, and made casual mention to my sales person about my having options in our first meeting, including non-Volvoís that were being considered. (If your other Volvo dealers are much further away, YMMV in terms of ability to negotiate when a single dealer may have more of a lock on a geography ó if you get my drift).
      • After the test drive, I called my sales person back, made an appt saying I had a couple more questions, but wanted to proceed with pricing and an order if we could come to terms.
      • I went in with a complete configuration, list pricing with transportation on each line item, and did the work with the DMV website to identify taxes & license on a spreadsheet. I did a subtotal before tax & license, then put a line and percentage-off below it that said ďDealer Discount TBDĒ ... IOW, a percentage off by the dealer I felt was a little more than what I expected to receive based on numerous subjective websites and the like, but not a ridiculously low number as if it were a 2019 that had been sitting on the lot for weeks along with many others that needed a buyer yesterday.
      • I had already told the sales person I did not want to play games within the first few minutes meeting her, and reiterated the point again when I returned ó More politely and long, but something to the effect of ďOne back-and-forth, and I take it or leave it. We each need to be happy and fair with one another, or I will just go elsewhere. I donít have to buy a car today.Ē
      • As I requested, I had one bottom line price come back, that was a little less than what I had in my spreadsheet with the suggested discount. I was fine with it and felt good when I left, which has not always been the case. If the number had been too far off, I may have gone back one more time ó but otherwise, i would have said Thank You, and left.
        • FYI: Some may take exception with this, but I expect any special order will have less discount than a car sitting on the lot that is costing the dealer money every day it is unsold ó so when youíre trying to come up with whatís a good price for you, you have to be careful when comparing what some of the websites are saying others are paying for in your area ó IOW new (on-the-lot), isnít the same as special order, how those sites tend to gather and report pricing data. Itís been the same thing with the many special orders Iíve done with Lexus, MBZ and BMW over 30+ years ó I have only twice in my life taken a car that was in existing inventory ó because I am willing to wait to get exactly what I want, and special order is the only way I can generally do that.)
        • Youíre also gonna probably pay more for a vehicle that is in-demand, has just been refreshed, and at the beginning of the model year deliveries... itís just part of the game those of us that want exactly what we want, when we want it, have to play.

• Dealer unexpectedly included two caveats in my favor when the bottom line price came back:

1. Bottom line price they quoted and I agreed to will be the max Iíd pay upon delivery, no matter if trade wars or whatever else may increase their cost or MSRP prior to delivery. (Iíve had most prior deals do the same thing.)
      2. The dealer will pass along any additional rebates or promos that may be available at the time I take delivery (e.g. year-end promos, loyalty, etc.). IOW, my price could be lower, but Iím not holding my breath and will only be pleasantly surprised if it happens. (This is something unique to this dealership, although I had Lexus do it for me unexpectedly on day of delivery maybe twice over the years.)

• I gave them a $2K deposit on my AMEX. (Iíve had dealers over the years want everything from $500-$2500, but always made sure it was refundable at my discretion, not theirs. You need to be crisp in terms of if you can get your money back, or to what point in the cycle they will allow it (e.g. they have to firm up the order IIRC ~4 weeks after order to the factory, perhaps sooner if they are changing an in-flight build they already have that is about to go into production scheduling.) Itís possible too, that your dealer may be more strict on their deposit refund policy ó you need to decide if youíll walk based on what that is or not if itís not fully refundable (e.g. if itís the only dealer near you, and you really want that car, well, they donít have to play your game as much.)
      • Order was placed and my build is underway a few weeks later...

Good luck.
      Last edited by BertL; 11-12-2019 at 08:30 PM.
      Bert

In Transit: Ď20 XC60 T8 Inscription, Polestar Optimized - Est <12/31 Delivery
      Past: Ď15 Tesla S90D; Ď14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; Ď09 335i; Ď06 RX400h; Ď02 SC430; Ď99 RX300; Ď95 SC300; Ď91 Legend...

OP, I should add one more thing. While I don't have experience with multiple Volvo transactions, I do with other auto mfgrs across more than a dozen special orders, and suspect the situation is the same: Given a choice, not all sales people and dealers like to handle special orders, and both would rather complete a sale sooner than later whenever they can.

Special orders take more time and elongated customer interaction. I suspect some number of buyers change their mind over the months-long waiting process, want a refund for reasons beyond the dealership's control, and effectively waste their time. When a customer bails and the special order is already in-flight, the dealer may then feel stuck with an odd configuration that may not sell as well or fast to someone else when it eventually comes in and sits on their lot. Special orders also require an increased level of precision a sales person or dealership may just not prefer, or are expert-enough, to deal with. (Don't ask about one of my special-ordered cars, where I didn't have visibility to a more rare factory-only installed package that was inadvertently left out by the GM on their internal ordering system --and not double-checked by the newer sales person-- until nearly 6 months later on the morning I arrived for pick-up, when I found the discrepancy as I was sitting in the finance manager's office looking closely at the paperwork before signing on the dotted-lines, and had to start-over reordering another MBZ.)

Some sales people (and perhaps dealerships) care more about moving product and having cash in-hand, vs. establishing a long term relationship where the customer gets exactly what they want to be most satisfied and will hopefully return to buy another car one day, let alone use their dealership for ongoing service. FWIW, I may have struck gold with my present Volvo dealership that appears to be more of the latter, having been owned by the same family for IIRC 28+ years, with my sales person and to-be service advisor each having been employed there for more than 27.

I know it was very clear to my sales person from the first few minutes of our interaction that I have a history of buying only what I want, not what I can more immediately get -- even if I have to wait and go through more hoops; Pressure techniques will not get a sale from me, and I must have a deal that just feels right -- not one where I have to go into hard negotiation mode or will feel like I've been taken advantage of later on. In your case, with the dealer playing hard ball on special order price, it may be because they don't want to do your special order; they are not sure about your commitment to really take delivery several months from now; they think you really just want "a XC60" and may be more flexible to buy color/features they have to sell now; or they believe they've geographically gotcha with a hot model they can sell all they can obtain from the factory.

As has been said, if price is most important, timing of your purchase may make a difference, but even more so, your willingness to compromise on what you want and buy off-the-lot will likely cost you less. OTOH, if you're more passionate like me and care about each color, feature and option to be exactly what fits your desire, you're going to almost always pay more for that choice. How much that may be is anyone's guess, and why I almost never talk dollar figures or percentages with anyone else. It is a complex set of choices only you can make in the end. Out here, we can easily throw out anonymous opinions, but we're not in your exact same situation. Again, good luck with your decision.
      Last edited by BertL; 11-13-2019 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Minor clarification
      Bert

In Transit: Ď20 XC60 T8 Inscription, Polestar Optimized - Est <12/31 Delivery
      Past: Ď15 Tesla S90D; Ď14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; Ď09 335i; Ď06 RX400h; Ď02 SC430; Ď99 RX300; Ď95 SC300; Ď91 Legend...

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements