T8 not going back to electric power
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Wondering if anyone else is bumping into an issue Iíve been having for 6 months. Iíve spoken with Volvo here in NZ and theyíve had no reports of it.

Occasionally, no matter what the charge level is of the battery, if I push through the throttle out of electric drive into petrol, the electric refuses to come back until the following day. It doesnít matter if I switch the car off for one or two hours and then drive again, it stays in petrol mode. It doesnít matter if I change to pure mode, hybrid mode or an individual mode, still stays on petrol. Doesnít matter if I drive for 30 minutes to warm up the engine, it stays on petrol mode.

It doesnít happen every time, it happens once every couple of weeks, but sometimes two or three days in a row. Itís seemingly random. I canít replicate the problem when I want to.

Iím in the fortunate position to barely use the petrol engine on my daily routine so being stuck using petrol for 20 miles is frustrating.

Iíve taken it in for a check and there were no errors in the log, nothing showed up on tests. They updated the software but the problem repeated a week later.

Car is performing perfectly otherwise. Any ideas from anyone?
      2018 T8 R-Design Polestar XC60 Bursting Blue

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What is your outside air temperature and climate settings when it happens? The A/C compressor may require ICE to cool down the cabin. (Edited based on Lamarguyís posts below)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 07-11-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Deleted speculation that ICE may be cooling the hybrid battery
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I had something kind of similar. I took my 2018 T8 to the dealer for its first service visit. They let me know that there was a fleet campaign for the ERAD thermostat but that it would take a little while to fix. I didn't have time to wait for the ERAD so I just had them do the service, which included a software update. On the ride home, the car experienced symptoms similar to yours in that the electric worked for about two minutes and then went to the ICE for the rest of the drive. When I got it home, the car did not accept charging (even though the LED was flashing green).

I took it back into the dealer and they did the ERAD thermostat service bulletin and updated the software again. It has been running fine ever since.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gneissnz View Post
      Occasionally, no matter what the charge level is of the battery, if I push through the throttle out of electric drive into petrol, the electric refuses to come back until the following day. It doesnít matter if I switch the car off for one or two hours and then drive again, it stays in petrol mode. It doesnít matter if I change to pure mode, hybrid mode or an individual mode, still stays on petrol. Doesnít matter if I drive for 30 minutes to warm up the engine, it stays on petrol mode.

It doesnít happen every time, it happens once every couple of weeks, but sometimes two or three days in a row. Itís seemingly random. I canít replicate the problem when I want to.
      Definitely abnormal. Make a video of the problem the next time is happens and push your service manager for a resolution.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Somewhat off topic, but wouldnít the T8 use an electric air conditioning compressor? Seeing as you can drive them on 100% electric, I would hope you wouldnít have to sweat it out for the time youíre running on all electric?
      18 XC60 T6 Inscription- everything except lux seating
      12 VW Eos Executive
      Past Volvoís: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by LowlyOilBurner View Post
      Somewhat off topic, but wouldnít the T8 use an electric air conditioning compressor?
      Yes, 400v AC compressor. ICE is not required to cool the cabin or hybrid battery.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Yup, though not quite the heat of the summer here yet, weíve only gotten into the low 90s so far, most days I still run all electric after the car has been sitting in the sun all day (so is hot) and the AC is blasting.

On rare occasions the ICE kicks on for no reason that Iíve been able to discern, runs a few minutes, then kicks back off. This happened more often when it was colder so at a guess Iíd say the ICE was needed to heat something up, but I dunno. Nothing like the symptoms described here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies team.

I donít use AC at all. When itís warm I wind down the windows, when cold, I use the prewarm and additional heater for a couple of minutes. Luckily I donít live in a place that gets too hot or cold.

Iíve been thinking that the issue might have something to do with hybrid battery temperature. Since it refuses to go back to electric mode until the following day maybe it is waiting for the battery to cool right back to ambient temperature? I would have thought that an error would be thrown up if there was a thermometer issue though. Has anyone had experience with their battery thermometer being faulty? I know some here had replacements. The battery cooling fan definitely works, I can hear it come on when I park and plug in.

Iíve been thinking that the issue might have something to do with hybrid battery temperature. Since it refuses to go back to electric mode until the following day maybe it is waiting for the battery to cool right back to ambient temperature?
      I drive around in 100+F everyday. Has nothing to do with outside temperature.

Your hybrid powertrain is malfunctioning. Take it to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post

Thatís what I have done, and they could find nothing wrong so handed it back after a sortware update. They asked that I take note of when it happens each time so that they can inform Volvo HQ. What Iím trying to do is find answers to prove to them what is wrong.

Actually the internal ac comes on when very hot out to cool some components. that may be kicking in.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      Actually the internal ac comes on when very hot out to cool some components. that may be kicking in.
      The AC compressor is 400v and is powered by the hybrid battery (disconnected from ICE). ICE is not involved in cooling the hybrid system (battery or ERAD), Sensus, etc.

Same issue then got a check engine light

Wondering if anyone else is bumping into an issue Iíve been having for 6 months. Iíve spoken with Volvo here in NZ and theyíve had no reports of it.

Iím in the fortunate position to barely use the petrol engine on my daily routine so being stuck using petrol for 20 miles is frustrating.

Iíve taken it in for a check and there were no errors in the log, nothing showed up on tests. They updated the software but the problem repeated a week later.

Car is performing perfectly otherwise. Any ideas from anyone?
      I think I have the same issue for approx. 3 hours, the car won't shut down the ICE regardless what I do, then at the end of the drive the check engine light comes on, scan shows P0EA773 - Auxiliary cooling system performance, Mechanical faults, Actuator stuck OFF. Parked the car over night in garage and then the next day it will drive on HV battery again (still w/ the check engine light on).
      The dealer did the ERAD thermostat recall on the car a week ago, and it's going back again for the CEL.

I would suggest find someone with VIDA subscription or have a diag tool that supports SPA Volvos. If this is happening there has to be some pending code in there.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmon View Post
      I think I have the same issue for approx. 3 hours, the car won't shut down the ICE regardless what I do, then at the end of the drive the check engine light comes on, scan shows P0EA773 - Auxiliary cooling system performance, Mechanical faults, Actuator stuck OFF. Parked the car over night in garage and then the next day it will drive on HV battery again (still w/ the check engine light on).
      The dealer did the ERAD thermostat recall on the car a week ago, and it's going back again for the CEL.

I would suggest find someone with VIDA subscription or have a diag tool that supports SPA Volvos. If this is happening there has to be some pending code in there.
      Thanks for that info. Iíve taken it to the Volvo dealer who have found no error codes with their diagnosis tool. It seems they wonít do anything until a code pops up.

Please let me know if you get the problem again after the fixes, or if you even donít get errors.

Thanks for that info. Iíve taken it to the Volvo dealer who have found no error codes with their diagnosis tool. It seems they wonít do anything until a code pops up.

Please let me know if you get the problem again after the fixes, or if you even donít get errors.
      Ask the dealership for a printout of all the pending codes, SPA cars usually have a lot of them (they are refered to as "ghost" codes). Most of them won't trigger a customer-facing warning message. The status message would be something like "Long duration fault detected X times by the in-vehicle DTC test". They usually don't mean anything wrong with the car, a simple timing miss on some ECUs can set them. But if you see repeating codes even unconfirmed ones could give you some very helpful clues on what is going on with the car.

VIDA will also provide a HV battery health report, you should be able to ask the dealer for a print out.

I just dropped off my car at the dealer today, the check engine light is caused by P0EA773, Volvo have a technical journal for this particular issue. The printout I got from them last time does have code BECM-P0C4200 (Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Coolant Temp. Sensor A Circuit) pending, but not confirmed yet.

My dealership was telling me Volvo Cars in the US is giving them a hard time in terms of approving warranty claims . Not sure if this is the case in New Zealand, but I found that calling Volvo Customer Service and open a case to ask them to monitor the dealer repair on a specific issue helps quiet a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmon View Post
      Ask the dealership for a printout of all the pending codes, SPA cars usually have a lot of them (they are refered to as "ghost" codes). Most of them won't trigger a customer-facing warning message. The status message would be something like "Long duration fault detected X times by the in-vehicle DTC test". They usually don't mean anything wrong with the car, a simple timing miss on some ECUs can set them. But if you see repeating codes even unconfirmed ones could give you some very helpful clues on what is going on with the car.

VIDA will also provide a HV battery health report, you should be able to ask the dealer for a print out.

I just dropped off my car at the dealer today, the check engine light is caused by P0EA773, Volvo have a technical journal for this particular issue. The printout I got from them last time does have code BECM-P0C4200 (Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Coolant Temp. Sensor A Circuit) pending, but not confirmed yet.

My dealership was telling me Volvo Cars in the US is giving them a hard time in terms of approving warranty claims . Not sure if this is the case in New Zealand, but I found that calling Volvo Customer Service and open a case to ask them to monitor the dealer repair on a specific issue helps quiet a bit.
      Thanks so much for that, Iíll ask for the print out.

I had the issue again yesterday. Right from the first ignition start after charging all night. Battery was full, there was no reason for it to start in petrol mode. It stayed there for my entire drive. I ended up driving into the dealer and putting my keys on his desk and saying Iím almost ready to hand the car back to you as Iím so frustrated. He agreed to have the vehicle in overnight so that the techs in Sweden can hook up to it and do a deep dive into the codes. Hopefully that will show something up.

The dealer has been really good, really helpful, always gives me a replacement car.

Hi All,

Just posting an update.

After 5 weeks in the workshop troubleshooting and replacing parts that didnít need replacing, the fix suggested by Volvo HQ in Sweden seems to have worked. The tensioner pulley kept getting stuck and not releasing back to a Ďrelaxed stateí therefore it was holding onto petrol mode. This has no sensor on it and was not detected as being at fault, but it was throwing things further down the line into fault, i.e. the cam sensor and the crank sensor. It was also throwing the engine timing out.

Iíve been using it for about 4 weeks now with no issues. Volvo also came to the party with a free 12 month extension to the warranty.

So good news, and Iím a happy camper again.

Hi All,

Just posting an update.

After 5 weeks in the workshop troubleshooting and replacing parts that didnít need replacing, the fix suggested by Volvo HQ in Sweden seems to have worked. The tensioner pulley kept getting stuck and not releasing back to a Ďrelaxed stateí therefore it was holding onto petrol mode. This has no sensor on it and was not detected as being at fault, but it was throwing things further down the line into fault, i.e. the cam sensor and the crank sensor. It was also throwing the engine timing out.

Iíve been using it for about 4 weeks now with no issues. Volvo also came to the party with a free 12 month extension to the warranty.

So good news, and Iím a happy camper again.
      Great it is fixed! Is it the timing belt tensioner pulley?
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Great it is fixed! Is it the timing belt tensioner pulley?
      Iím not 100% sure sorry, but I think so. The service manager described it as a belt that tightens up when in petrol mode and then relaxes back to give power to the electric motors. This seems to be the thing that wasnít happening, it wasnít releasing the tension so the electric motor wasnít allowed to work again.

The service manager described it as a belt that tightens up when in petrol mode and then relaxes back to give power to the electric motors. This seems to be the thing that wasnít happening, it wasnít releasing the tension so the electric motor wasnít allowed to work again.
      That explanation doesn't make any sense to me.

Both ICE and ERAD can run simultaneously (e.g., Constant AWD mode) or operate independently (e.g., PURE mode). In PURE mode, the torque converter disconnects (same as "coasting" in ECO mode). ICE isn't involved in PURE mode because it's physically disconnected from the front axle.

That explanation doesn't make any sense to me.

Both ICE and ERAD can run simultaneously (e.g., Constant AWD mode) or operate independently (e.g., PURE mode). In PURE mode, the torque converter disconnects (same as "coasting" in ECO mode). ICE isn't involved in PURE mode because it's physically disconnected from the front axle.
      What about when youíre in pure mode and you push through into ICE because of a steep hill, or passing manoeuvre etc? Thatís what was mostly happening to me, while in pure mode, I needed ICE to get up a very steep hill on my daily drive so I would use the Hold button, and when at the top of the hill it wouldnít go back to electric when releasing the Hold button. Would that make sense? Iím not a mechanically minded person so Iíve no idea.

If it is timing belt tensioner pulley I understand it is possible to cause cam sensor, crank shaft sensor error etc as these are related. But timing belt issue could easily cause very noticeable ICE problem.

And what the service person told you about belts between ICE and e-motor doesn't make sense to me.

There is no belt between ICE and ERAD motor. ICE and ERAD are operated independently and instructed by software to run or not, depends on power/torque needed for requested acceleration. When you press gas pedal to make it move faster on uphill, ICE will kick in. No need to change to "hold" mode.

One thing maybe related is the CISG in front (coupled with ICE crank shaft maybe). It is needed for pure mode driving (and braking) I think. If for some reason (caused by timing belt tensioner, maybe) CISG is not operable, then software decide battery driving can't be used.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 11-12-2019 at 04:31 PM.

If it is timing belt tensioner pulley I understand it is possible to cause cam sensor, crank shaft sensor error etc as these are related. But timing belt issue could easily cause very noticeable ICE problem.

And what the service person told you about belts between ICE and e-motor doesn't make sense to me.

There is no belt between ICE and ERAD motor. ICE and ERAD are operated independently and instructed by software to run or not, depends on power/torque needed for requested acceleration. When you press gas pedal to make it move faster on uphill, ICE will kick in. No need to change to "hold" mode.

One thing maybe related is the CISG in front (coupled with ICE crank shaft maybe). It is needed for pure mode driving (and braking) I think. If for some reason (caused by timing belt tensioner, maybe) CISG is not operable, then software decide battery driving can't be used.
      What is CISG if you can excuse my ignorance?

As for using Hold, I just do that so that the ICE has a couple of hundred metres to get going on the flat before I hit the hill. I figure if the only time Iím going to engage the petrol engine is under high stress/load, it would be worse for the engine than a little low rev warmup.

What is CISG if you can excuse my ignorance?

As for using Hold, I just do that so that the ICE has a couple of hundred metres to get going on the flat before I hit the hill. I figure if the only time Iím going to engage the petrol engine is under high stress/load, it would be worse for the engine than a little low rev warmup.
      CISG is a small e-motor mounted on T8 ICE crankshaft that is used as starter, electricity regeneration, and also driving on front wheels at low speed.
      Integrated Starter and Generator.

CISG

The crankshaft-mounted starter generator (CISG), located between the engine and the gearbox, performs three important functions: it is a powerful, 34kW starter motor that allows the car to go from pure electric drive to combination combustion drive seamlessly, so drivers can experience the car's petrol engine and electric motor as one unit; it is also a powerful electric generator; and finally, it acts as an electric engine booster, working with the supercharger and turbocharger when extra power is needed, providing up to 150 Nm of extra torque.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 11-12-2019 at 06:28 PM.

CISG is a small e-motor mounted on T8 ICE crankshaft that is used as starter, electricity regeneration, and also driving on front wheels at low speed.
      Integrated Starter and Generator.

CISG

The crankshaft-mounted starter generator (CISG), located between the engine and the gearbox, performs three important functions: it is a powerful, 34kW starter motor that allows the car to go from pure electric drive to combination combustion drive seamlessly, so drivers can experience the car's petrol engine and electric motor as one unit; it is also a powerful electric generator; and finally, it acts as an electric engine booster, working with the supercharger and turbocharger when extra power is needed, providing up to 150 Nm of extra torque.
      Boy, that does sound like a thing that would be causing my issue if it wasnít working properly. No mention of it at all from the service guys however. Thanks, Iíll make sure to bring it up should my issue pop up again.

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements