No more free software updates - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 121
    1. #71
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,841
      If your car comes in under warranty for a problem that can be fixed with software, you get software and we get paid. So that is not an issue.

      I hope they re-evaluate it as well. But if they don't and my dealer doesn't pay me, then I'm not doing them.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #72
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Posts
      2
      My dealer did this for free despite the recent change. I have a choice of Volvo dealers, looks like I picked the right one.

    4. #73
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Northern California
      Posts
      561
      Rather than figure out why their goodwill attempt failed, Volvo USA executives decide its better to penalize those customers who A) never knew, B) were specifically told there was no free upgrade by their Volvo dealer, C) live too far from the sparse dealer locations around the country, or D) don’t feel they can trust their Volvo dealer that anything they do will actually be free.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #74
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      260
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      It's about time, not effort. Minimal effort is needed if all goes smoothly. But the car is tying up my work bay, so I can't use that bay to make money if I'm downloading free software. I also can't use my VIDA to diagnose another car of someone who is paying for my time.
      How long does it take to do a service? Can the download be done while the tech is doing the service? I know that some services are longer than others.

    7. #75
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,841
      See posts 66 and 67.

    8. #76
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      126
      Took my car in for its 20,000 mile service today at Galpin Volvo in Van Nuys and as expected did not receive a complimentary software update.

      Called Volvo Customer Care and they confirmed the change in policy, all that they said that they could do for me is send me the 30% off rebate form that has been mentioned in the past.

      My questions for the techs on this board is what happens when a customer purchases a software accessory such as Polestar or even just the trailer module software?

      Do these packages require the latest software update?

      If so, will the cost of these packages increase as well?
      2018 Volvo XC60 T6 Denim Blue
      2012 Fiat 500 Pop
      1965 Ford Mustang Coupe 289 A Code 4 speed
      1970 VW Beetle

    9. #77
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      708
      I wonder if Volvo will continue to issue upgrades every 2-4 months or if it will be less frequent now
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    10. #78
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,117
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      I wonder if Volvo will continue to issue upgrades every 2-4 months or if it will be less frequent now
      In the past, usually they announce updates twice a year, around May and November. Sometimes there was update fixing specific problem but it was not every 2-4 months.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

    11. #79
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      708
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      In the past, usually they announce updates twice a year, around May and November. Sometimes there was update fixing specific problem but it was not every 2-4 months.

      Really ??????

      Are you serious, for 16 months 7 upgrades

      - Updates from and including March 2018
      - Updates from and including May 2018
      - Updates from and including October 2018
      - Updates from and including November 2018
      - Updates from and including March 2019
      - Updates from and including April 2019
      - Updates from and including July 2019

      Maybe my math is bad, try to calculate it
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    12. #80
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,117
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Really ??????

      Are you serious, for 16 months 7 upgrades

      - Updates from and including March 2018
      - Updates from and including May 2018
      - Updates from and including October 2018
      - Updates from and including November 2018
      - Updates from and including March 2019
      - Updates from and including April 2019
      - Updates from and including July 2019

      Maybe my math is bad, try to calculate it
      http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...lable/search/1
      Only shows updates in May or Nov.

      For small updates, do you know what they were for? Do you need those or benefit from those?
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

    13. #81
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,841
      There are updates between the bi-annual ones. So far, the May and November ones have been there ones where customers will notice something different. But there have absolutely been updates between them.

      Accessories like Polestar can still be installed. It will update the appropriate modules.

    14. #82
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      708
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...lable/search/1
      Only shows updates in May or Nov.

      For small updates, do you know what they were for? Do you need those or benefit from those?
      Upgrades for engine & transmission system are not important , ok then explain why Volvo makes them

      In 10 months 5 upgrades October 2018-July 2019

      https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ftware-updates


      Updates including July 2019
      Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
      Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.
      Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.

      Updates including April 2019
      Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
      Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.

      Updates including March 2019
      Improvements of the engine control system's optimisation.

      Updates including November 2018
      Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.

      Updates including October 2018
      Improvements of the engine control system's optimisation.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    15. #83
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,117
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Upgrades for engine & transmission system are not important , ok then explain why Volvo makes them

      In 10 months 5 upgrades October 2018-July 2019

      https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ftware-updates


      Updates including July 2019
      Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
      Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.
      Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.

      Updates including April 2019
      Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
      Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.

      Updates including March 2019
      Improvements of the engine control system's optimisation.

      Updates including November 2018
      Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.

      Updates including October 2018
      Improvements of the engine control system's optimisation.
      If anything is important, it could be a service action, or even a recall.
      Optimisation is useful, but not critical to me. Without the optimisation maybe your car uses a little bit more fuel, but it doesn't mean transmission or engine is compromised.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

    16. #84
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      708
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      If anything is important, it could be a service action, or even a recall.
      Optimisation is useful, but not critical to me. Without the optimisation maybe your car uses a little bit more fuel, but it doesn't mean transmission or engine is compromised.
      Great news for you, you don't need upgrades. Question: if everything is perfect why 5 upgrades in 10 months for engine and transmission
      Neither of these upgrades has been flagged as critical for the last two years

      I've been waiting for over a year to upgrade my engine software. A problem that is known on all SPA models
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    17. #85
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,117
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Great news for you, you don't need upgrades. Question: if everything is perfect why 5 upgrades in 10 months for engine and transmission
      Neither of these upgrades has been flagged as critical for the last two years

      I've been waiting for over a year to upgrade my engine software. A problem that is known on all SPA models
      Things is not perfect means it is sub-optimal but it is still working.

      If an engine problem affects all SPA models why we don't see reports from others?
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

    18. #86
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      708
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Things is not perfect means it is sub-optimal but it is still working.

      If an engine problem affects all SPA models why we don't see reports from others?
      Read the same problem on the XC90, V90 .....
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7061721

      Let me know if you need links from German forums with the same problem

      Although you write 4500 posts in 19 months, you don't know much
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    19. #87
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,117
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Read the same problem on the XC90, V90 .....
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7061721

      Let me know if you need links from German forums with the same problem

      Although you write 4500 posts in 19 months, you don't know much
      How many reported, compared to how many people posted here ever?
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

    20. #88
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      708
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      How many reported, compared to how many people posted here ever?
      When you get the answer you go on with funny and silly questions. It doesn't matter how much, it matters that there is a problem that is very dangerous

      How many SPA car owners are in this forum, maybe 10-15%
      How many owners used hard acceleration

      FYI: this is a problem that exists on previous generations of Volvo cars as well
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    21. #89
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      394
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      How many reported, compared to how many people posted here ever?
      I'm curious as well.
      __________________________________________________ ____________

      Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

    22. #90
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      28
      My Volvo was in service yesterday, it was the 90k service, the software-updates are still free in Belgium.

      More info:
      It is Operation ID 17415

      https://www.volvocars.com/nl-be/nave...d-en-reparatie

      "The most worry-free way to own a car
      There are even more ways we want to make your life easier.

      Every time you bring in your Volvo for maintenance, we carry out a complete maintenance package, which we call Volvo Service 2.0.
      You can count on free software updates (which will make your Volvo a little better with every maintenance) and a health check with battery check for your car. After servicing, your Volvo Assistance breakdown assistance will be extended free of charge by one year.

      A personal contact person is always at your disposal, for questions or if, for example, you want to use replacement transport."
      Last edited by TomXC60; 08-07-2019 at 05:11 AM.
      Nov. 2017: Volvo XC60 MY18 R-Design T8 AWD

      Pack's: Sensus Navi / Light / IntelliSafe / Winter Pro / Versatility Pro
      Summer 265/35/R22 / Winter 235/55/R19

      In Bursting Blue Metallic

      Previous: 2011-2017 Volvo XC60 MY11 R-Design D5 AWD in Black Saphire Metalic

    23. #91
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Location
      Northern Colorado
      Posts
      63
      This is the first I've heard of this and it's very sad to hear. I saw the free software updates as a big plus and one that actually led to me keeping my Volvo (I had serious transmission shift issues) and adding another for my wife. Unfortunately, despite having only 54k on my XC60 that I bought new, I continue to have problems with the transmission and engine mounts. Volvo replaced the transmission around the 21k mark all but 1 engine mount at 45k miles and already the idle vibration is back with the A/C on. My car is out of warranty now and still has crappy shift quality (my wifes car is the same). My Volvo will be paid off in 2 months and my wife's soon after. We plan to keep our Volvos for a while but the cars are already starting to feel old despite only having 54k and 76k respectively. They feel about the same as my 135k mile Scion that I actually used for racing. The Volvos have been treated very well by comparison. Volvo quality seems to be going down hill and it's very sad to see. Unfortunately I will likely end up with a Lexus or Acura for my next purchase. Losing free software updates along with the crappy Volvo dealer experience in my area only solidify my decision.

      On a side note, as someone who worked as certified technician and has run a quality assurance program for over 10 years, I'm quite surprised that auto dealers still pay technicians by the book hour. Every other similar industry pays worker either by the clock hour or on salary. If auto techs got paid for every hour they were clocked in, or were on salary, this conversation about doing work "on my time" would cease to be an issue. Also, when I was a technician, I went above and beyond my responsibilities as a service to my customers and employer and it was one of main reasons I was able to rise quickly into management. Not taking shots at those auto techs that posted in this thread, it's just the idea of pay by book hours has upset me for years. It adds needless complication to accounting functions while doing little to enhance dealer performance. I know that small/slow dealers like book hours because they can have technicians on site for 12 hours and only pay them for 6 or 7. There seems to be no advantage to the larger dealers. IMO, technicians should be pushing for hourly or salary pay schedules.
      Last edited by Paradox; 08-08-2019 at 06:51 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts, just edit the original post to add commentary
      2014 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Sport: 255/45R-20 Nokian WRG3, Morimoto LED Headlamps, K&N filter panel.
      2014 Volvo XC70 T6 AWD: Stock, 235/55R-18 Nokian WRG3, Wife's car.
      2009 Scion tC 5M: True Ram-Air with K&N Filter, JVTR Header, Raceland Exhaust with AR25 Resonator, Morimoto HIDs, Seibon CF Hood and Hatch, Nokian eNtyre 2.0 235/45R-17.

    24. #92
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      919
      Quote Originally Posted by MalSled View Post
      Took my car in for its 20,000 mile service today at Galpin Volvo in Van Nuys and as expected did not receive a complimentary software update.
      At that point I'm looking for a dealer than will, or trading in my car for another brand! Seriously. This is 100% unacceptable to me for this brand as a consumer. I don't care what anyone else is doing or quite frankly what the techs situation is. For me this is where I would draw the line. Sometimes in life you have to take a stand. It is an idiotic move, period!
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

    25. #93
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,841
      Quote Originally Posted by 14XC606A View Post
      On a side note, as someone who worked as certified technician and has run a quality assurance program for over 10 years, I'm quite surprised that auto dealers still pay technicians by the book hour. Every other similar industry pays worker either by the clock hour or on salary. If auto techs got paid for every hour they were clocked in, or were on salary, this conversation about doing work "on my time" would cease to be an issue. Also, when I was a technician, I went above and beyond my responsibilities as a service to my customers and employer and it was one of main reasons I was able to rise quickly into management. Not taking shots at those auto techs that posted in this thread, it's just the idea of pay by book hours has upset me for years. It adds needless complication to accounting functions while doing little to enhance dealer performance. I know that small/slow dealers like book hours because they can have technicians on site for 12 hours and only pay them for 6 or 7. There seems to be no advantage to the larger dealers. IMO, technicians should be pushing for hourly or salary pay schedules.
      Dealers don't want us booking 7 hours in 12 hours of time.

      They want their service bays producing for them. They want us booking 12 in an 8 hour day. They may charge $150 an hour and pay the tech $25 of that. They want us to book as many hours as possible.

      I do not go above and beyond because if I give them an inch, they take a mile. They always try the "but it will just take a minute" excuse. Add 15 things that just take a minute and it adds up.

      Inspecting a car just takes a minute.
      Changing license plates just takes a minute.
      Replacing wipers just takes a minute.
      Free battery checks just take a minute (far from it).
      Replacing city stickers or inspection stickers just takes a minute.
      Checking and topping off fluids just takes a minute.
      Tire pressure checks just take a minute.
      Etc...

      These add up.

      I'm not asking for sympathy. But don't get mad at me for not doing a free update for free.

      I'm all for a fair salary. I would love to not have to worry about what I will book this week. But my idea of a fair salary is sure to differ from management. And their fear is if I am salary, I will work slower. For me personally, that is not true. But I know guys who absolutely would.
      Last edited by Tech; 08-07-2019 at 12:13 PM.

    26. #94
      Member chillg8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      Durham, NC
      Posts
      1,239
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Dealers don't want us booking 7 hours in 12 hours of time.

      They want their service bays producing for them. They want us booking 12 in an 8 hour day. They may charge $150 an hour and pay the tech $25 of that. They want us to book as many hours as possible.

      I do not go above and beyond because if I give them an inch, they take a mile. They always try the "but it will just take a minute" excuse. Add 15 things that just take a minute and it adds up.

      Inspecting a car just takes a minute.
      Changing license plates just takes a minute.
      Replacing wipers just takes a minute.
      Free battery checks just take a minute (far from it).
      Replacing city stickers or inspection stickers just takes a minute.
      Checking and topping off fluids just takes a minute.
      Tire pressure checks just take a minute.
      Etc...

      These add up.

      I'm not asking for sympathy. But don't get mad at me for not doing a free update for free.

      I'm all for a fair salary. I would love to not have to worry about what I will book this week. But my idea of a fair salary is sure to differ from management. And their fear is if I am salary, I will work slower. For me personally, that is not true. But I know guys who absolutely would.
      There are a lot of pay structures between straight commission and salary, I’ve dealt with that my entire career. They could give you a base salary with production incentives for example.

      The reason I say this is that fundamentally your dealership is a sales organization, even if most of the profits don’t come from sales. Very often in sales one must think of the long run customer satisfaction. I am a small business and work exclusively on commission. I do things for my customers ALL THE TIME that are “above and beyond” because I know that in the long run I will be more than compensated by increased sales from customer loyalty. A dealership that lets the service department dictate how the customer is treated without regard to the impact on customer satisfaction is a dealership that has lost its way, imo.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

    27. #95
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,841
      Right. But I'm not the owner of the dealer. Dealers can decide to update software for free. If mine decides that, given my pay structure, I expect to be paid. It's up to the dealer to go above and beyond. They are the ones who (through Volvo's marketing) made the free software promise.

    28. #96
      Junior Member gotart's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Freedom, CA
      Posts
      187
      I've been reading this post on and off today. Some members have made some great points on the lack of quality of the new Volvos, due to materials etc. Geely nickel & diming owners in lieu return customers.
      The whole software thing is disturbing considering all the problems I've read and what could go wrong. 14XC606A comments (post #91) just about put the nail in the coffin for me and another Volvo. I was thinking about and OSD for a new XC40 (RMD's kicking in now- throwing that in cause most of you folks use acronyms like everybody knows them-annoying) to replace the C70 next year. No way- I'm leaving Volvo- won't do it. My S40 is running perfect with 75k on it and always has. But from here on out- no Volvos for me and I have to admit the software thing helped me decide real quick. Although I have a great dealer who I know would probably work with me, I'm still calling it quits. They lost me and I'm just one. More will follow I am sure. And I am going to write Volvo telling them that.
      2011 S40 T5 Polestar-Barents-Convector Wheels/BLIS/R Type Spoiler
      2011- C70-T5 - Polestar--Electric Silver-Loaded- except Blis

      1987- Vanagon Westy Camper

    29. #97
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      919
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Dealers don't want us booking 7 hours in 12 hours of time.

      They want their service bays producing for them. They want us booking 12 in an 8 hour day. They may charge $150 an hour and pay the tech $25 of that. They want us to book as many hours as possible.

      I do not go above and beyond because if I give them an inch, they take a mile. They always try the "but it will just take a minute" excuse. Add 15 things that just take a minute and it adds up.

      Inspecting a car just takes a minute.
      Changing license plates just takes a minute.
      Replacing wipers just takes a minute.
      Free battery checks just take a minute (far from it).
      Replacing city stickers or inspection stickers just takes a minute.
      Checking and topping off fluids just takes a minute.
      Tire pressure checks just take a minute.
      Etc...

      These add up.

      I'm not asking for sympathy. But don't get mad at me for not doing a free update for free.

      I'm all for a fair salary. I would love to not have to worry about what I will book this week. But my idea of a fair salary is sure to differ from management. And their fear is if I am salary, I will work slower. For me personally, that is not true. But I know guys who absolutely would.
      With all due respect... NOT our problem. That is between you and the dealership or you and Volvo. For customers, this is between us and Volvo USA. Yes and Dealers can help somewhat as an incentive.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

    30. #98
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,841
      Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Dealers don't want us booking 7 hours in 12 hours of time.

      They want their service bays producing for them. They want us booking 12 in an 8 hour day. They may charge $150 an hour and pay the tech $25 of that. They want us to book as many hours as possible.

      I do not go above and beyond because if I give them an inch, they take a mile. They always try the "but it will just take a minute" excuse. Add 15 things that just take a minute and it adds up.

      Inspecting a car just takes a minute.
      Changing license plates just takes a minute.
      Replacing wipers just takes a minute.
      Free battery checks just take a minute (far from it).
      Replacing city stickers or inspection stickers just takes a minute.
      Checking and topping off fluids just takes a minute.
      Tire pressure checks just take a minute.
      Etc...

      These add up.

      I'm not asking for sympathy. But don't get mad at me for not doing a free update for free.

      I'm all for a fair salary. I would love to not have to worry about what I will book this week. But my idea of a fair salary is sure to differ from management. And their fear is if I am salary, I will work slower. For me personally, that is not true. But I know guys who absolutely would.
      With all due respect... NOT our problem. That is between you and the dealership or you and Volvo. For customers, this is between us and Volvo USA. Yes and Dealers can help somewhat as an incentive.

      We get it, it's not your problem. I've already explained I'm not saying it is and I'm not looking for sympathy.
      I am just offering perspective on why your software not being updated isn't my problem because a lot of people don't understand how techs are paid.
      Last edited by Tech; 08-08-2019 at 09:57 AM.

    31. #99
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Location
      Mississauga, ON Canada
      Posts
      143
      I was in my local Volvo dealer this week (Toronto area) and their sign is still up listing complimentary software updates with your annual maintenance. I asked to clarify given the recent announcement and they said they would continue to offer this service.

    32. #100
      Junior Member ndotym's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      L.A.
      Posts
      219
      No problems here
      in California, just had 10,000 service free updates, with warranty work for rear struts. My dealer is still offering them.

    33. #101
      Junior Member jre's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Location
      Cincinnati
      Posts
      89
      I just had my car in for service (engine lite on, o2 sensor) and they did a software update even though when I scheduled the service they told me there wasn't a new one out. I can tell because instead of sport mode (or whatever it used to be called) it's now called Polestar something or other.
      Joe
      '19 XC60 T5 P* AWD R-Design

    34. #102
      Junior Member coachlange's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      33
      Just returned from the dealership. There are only 2 in my state. The one near me said free updates ended 8/1/19. They charge $95 all in. Said it takes about an hour.

      Haven’t checked with the other dealership yet.

      The service advisor explained it to me this way: “It’s like your iPhone... you can choose to update to the latest version but your phone works fine the way it is. If you want the new features, there’s charge for that.”

      Either that explanation somehow made sense to him or he’s been coached. I replied... “Yea, I guess, except I don’t have to play to update my iPhone. Apple WANTS to provide new features as an incentive to stick with their offerings.”

      I got a shoulder shrug out of that.

      From the tech’s perspective, I totally get no wanting to do it for free and I wouldn’t ask that either. This is definitely a ball-drop by Volvo IMO.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension | 21" Wheels | Polestar

    35. #103
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      157
      The only issue is the fact that 'free updates' were part of what I bought (just like the first three oil changes) so so I for one will on principle be getting my updates for free and the dealer/Volvo and the techs can work out who gets to pay for that to happen.

      Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

    36. #104
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      64
      On 7/23 I called my local dealer and scheduled an appointment for my 20K regular maintenance for my 2018 XC60 T8. The appointment date was 8/2/19. I had a minor wiper issue I asked them to look at and also requested they do a software update. I read this post on 7/31 and was aware of the policy change on "free" updates. I asked the service adviser to do the software update and he said no problem.

      When I picked the car up I asked if they had done the software up date. The response was they had not done it but would for a charge of $76. He explained about the policy change from Volvo Corp and there was nothing they could do about it. 2 days later I got a call from their survey folks asking if I had received "Truly Exceptional Service". I explained how dissatisfied I was about the software update policy. 2 days later I got a repeat call from another survey person and explained the same thing. I then sent an email to the Genera Manager and Service Manager about the issue and how I saw it as a breech of the service promise they sold with the car when I bought it and that another local Volvo dealer (Steingold) was still including the update free as part of the 10/20/30 maintenance. .

      Following the email I got a call from the Service Manager who apologized for the confusion and that they were blindsided by the Volvo Corp directive. He explained that going forward they will be including the Update as part of the regular maintenance services. When I brought the vehicle in for the update, he had the shop manager do it becuase Volvo was not reimbursing them for the work as explained by TECH.

      Problem solved but a dumb policy by Volvo Corp. I think having another local dealer who was providing complimentary updates when done in conjunction with a regular maintenance helped also.
      Current
      OSD 2018 XC60 T8 | Onyx Black | Blonde/Blonde Int | Heated Fr Seats & Steering Wheel | Convenience-Vision-Advanced Packages | Air Suspension | 20" Wheels
      OSD 2011 C70 | Flamenco Red

    37. #105
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      SF Bay Area
      Posts
      108
      Thanks for sharing your experience mommere!

      I am also scheduled for a 20k service for my 2018 XC6 T6. Next Friday. Originally, the service appt was only for my non-functioning rear window wiper fluid spray and the rear hatch strut recall (and a little Polestar software upgrade). I added the 20k service after a couple of unexpected road trips has me at 20k already.

      So, next week, I WILL ASK FOR the latest software update. [I know there was an update during my 10k service, because of the ACC attention warning color change on dash display.] I must say that I am blown away that the owner cannot see what software version is installed via SENSUS.

      [FWIW, My 10k service was at the actual purchase dealer, 15 miles away. This 20k service is at a different dealer in the opposite direction, also 15 miles.]
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription - B & W

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. No more free software updates
      By gunshow in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 28
      Last Post: 11-25-2019, 01:40 PM
    2. ATTN EVERYBODY.... No more free software!!!!
      By gunshow in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 402
      Last Post: 11-13-2019, 11:41 PM
    3. Replies: 6
      Last Post: 05-20-2018, 01:11 PM
    4. Complimentary S60 Software Updates Vs. Pay Updates
      By Gmouse in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM
    5. Nov 2016 - Doing full Software Updates - Update to the Updates. LOL
      By eyeloveteeth in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 27
      Last Post: 11-09-2016, 11:20 AM