No more free software updates - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      I just got from my 20K service from Volvo Cars Bellevue. When I dropped the car I said I wanted software update. The service adviser ignored that. When he took my keys I explicitly asked again about the software update. He said that "Volvo doesn't want us to do software updates any more". I said I still would like to get the software update but he said they "can't do software update unless there is something wrong with the car". I said I still want the software update. They charged me $100 for the update.

After that I went to Volvo web site and on page service by Volvo, they have video Volvo service advantage that lists five promises. One of them is that they will wash your car and another is that they will always update the car software for free. Bellevue Volvo charged me $100 for software update and they didn't wash my car!

Do people have the same experience elsewhere? If not, what is the best/recommended service in Seattle area in particular?
      2020 V60 Cross Country – Denim Blue/Charcoal, Advanced, Heated seats & steering wheel, 19'' wheels
      2018 XC60 T5 Inscription – Osmium Gray/Charcoal, Convenience, Vision, Heated front seats & steering wheel, 20'' wheels

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dpokluda View Post
      I just got from my 20K service from Volvo Cars Bellevue. When I dropped the car I said I wanted software update. The service adviser ignored that. When he took my keys I explicitly asked again about the software update. He said that "Volvo doesn't want us to do software updates any more". I said I still would like to get the software update but he said they "can't do software update unless there is something wrong with the car". I said I still want the software update. They charged me $100 for the update.

After that I went to Volvo web site and on page service by Volvo, they have video Volvo service advantage that lists five promises. One of them is that they will wash your car and another is that they will always update the car software for free. Bellevue Volvo charged me $100 for software update and they didn't wash my car!

Do people have the same experience elsewhere? If not, what is the best/recommended service in Seattle area in particular?
      It is purely dealer dependant. My Dealership installed the latest update for me without me even mentioning. My job sheet states "Performed Complimentary Software 2.0 update valued at $155.00" with no charge to me. Sorry, but I have no idea about the Seattle area dealerships!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Next time tell them Sensus rebooted multiple times... And see what they would do.

It is bad we have to play tricks to get software update and Volvo will get some bogus customer complains.

I didn't get update either for 20k service there but next day I tried preconditioning and the car showed message parking climate unavailable. Seems I have a reason to get update now.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      My response from the XC90 post about this, before I saw it in several areas...

If less than half the cars are updated, I suspect this is a failure on VCUSA to push this down the pipe toward dealers.

Again, the VCUSA dealer network seems ... at best ... half-arsed. (No offense to the good techs posting or reading here). I've got like 5 dealers in my area. Every single one of them suck for various reasons and I'm left with opting for the best of the worst.

However, I am seeing one of them start to shine again.

That said, the issue is this is a failure on the part of VCUSA to make the Volvo brand better.

I don't know what the software was like prior to the recent major update (on my 2019 XC60) but I can say that it isn't bad at all. We've seen Doug Demuro comment about the software being really good recently (S60 Pole* review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQzEKHI2Tw ).

Did this go to their head and give them pause about software updates?

The logic seems... to be lost here.

Color me confused.
      And which, pray tell, is the Detroit area Volvo dealer that is starting "to shine again"?

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      It is purely dealer dependant. My Dealership installed the latest update for me without me even mentioning. My job sheet states "Performed Complimentary Software 2.0 update valued at $155.00" with no charge to me. Sorry, but I have no idea about the Seattle area dealerships!
      OK... tell us in your area the dealership that did this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Next time tell them Sensus rebooted multiple times... And see what they would do.
      This should work for cars that didn't get the May update, but unless the bulletin changes, it may not work for future updates.

The bulletin says a fix was included in the May update. So if the car has that update and someone goes in with a made up complaint and a technician performs a Total Upgrade per the bulletin, Volvo could reject the claim and debit the dealer. Enough of those and dealers will be wise to this. Then if we can't duplicate the problem, we don't do anything.

The thread about this in the XC90 forum was the most active, so if you have questions, check there. But I'll update this one as well.

As of today, Volvo has a new policy for the Service 2.0 software update.

Program Eligibility & Parameters

· Dealers must have VIDA Wi-Fi installed to be eligible for reimbursement.

· The program will be effective from November 1, 2019 – December 31, 2020.

· Service 2.0 must be performed with a scheduled maintenance service .

· Reimbursement is for labor only, software is delivered at no charge.

· Retailers will be reimbursed for ONE Service 2.0 software update per vehicle within a 12 month period.

· Punch time is not required for software downloads and Factory Scheduled Maintenance claims.

· Service 2.0 is only applicable to SPA and CMA vehicles. (P3 vehicles are excluded)

· Can be performed 1 time during the course of the program when performing a scheduled maintenance service.

· Vehicle inquiry must be checked prior to performing to confirm vehicle eligibility.

· Software 2.0 is not claimable with a workshop visit performed as a result of a customer complaint and/or when a total upgrade is claimed to address a customer concern.

· Service 2.0 does not replace PDS Software and cannot be claimed prior to the customer taking new car delivery.

· Service 2.0 can be installed during the reconditioning/inspection process outlined within the Certified by Volvo program guidelines.
      Last edited by Tech; 11-08-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Interesting. I’m guessing that all these recently remodeled dealerships near me have Vida WiFi. Thanks for the update.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      This should work for cars that didn't get the May update, but unless the bulletin changes, it may not work for future updates.

The bulletin says a fix was included in the May update. So if the car has that update and someone goes in with a made up complaint and a technician performs a Total Upgrade per the bulletin, Volvo could reject the claim and debit the dealer. Enough of those and dealers will be wise to this. Then if we can't duplicate the problem, we don't do anything.
      I have the May update and the Sensus still reboots (especially when I have Android Auto running it seems )

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post

I have the May update and the Sensus still reboots (especially when I have Android Auto running it seems )

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
      Do you have any apps downloaded to the car? If so, try deleting them and reinstalling them.

Do you have any apps downloaded to the car? If so, try deleting them and reinstalling them.
      A word of caution. I have a XC60 T5 MY20 and when I delete an installed application, such as TuneIn, it will not re-appear in available apps. I have been discussing the issue with the dealership and it seems that Volvo needs to do some hands-on in order for the apps to re-appear again! So, try it out with an app that you don't getting lost...

It also happens to me and I only have TuneIn installed and nothing else
      Tried 2-3 times and gave up on it
      Especially since Android Auto is displayed in Volvo on less than half the screen
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Just had the 20k check done. “Full System Software Update” was on the menu...no charge.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Quote Originally Posted by XC888 View Post
      A word of caution. I have a XC60 T5 MY20 and when I delete an installed application, such as TuneIn, it will not re-appear in available apps. I have been discussing the issue with the dealership and it seems that Volvo needs to do some hands-on in order for the apps to re-appear again! So, try it out with an app that you don't getting lost...
      Try changing the source of your cars internet when checking updates, like wifi to in car to phone hot point etc. That may nudge it to re-appear.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      Just had the 20k check done. “Full System Software Update” was on the menu...no charge.
      As long as your car is under warranty Volvo will perform the software updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrhobie View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      As long as your car is under warranty Volvo will perform the software updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Not necessarily. See above.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4