No more free software updates during services...
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No more free software updates during services...

Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

Please DO NOT ASK WHY/HOW. I DO NOT KNOW ANYMORE SPECIFICS
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention

or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are

getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer

promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

So now we have two things to look forward to:

1. Our oil changes just got more expensive (now who knows how much they will charge for software updates)

2. We can tear up the Service by Volvo Umbrella, because they will change whatever they want at any time. I hope people are grandfathered in.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Where does it say oil change cost increase?

Quote Originally Posted by joebxr View Post
      Where does it say oil change cost increase?

LOL ..... it doesn't!

Right now the free software updates are done when you go in for regular maintenance service, such as an oil change. Apparently after Aug 1st, you can add the cost any software updates to the regular service.

Don't spread misinformation. It was never free with an oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      worth repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      worth repeating.
      Copied and pasted from other thread (May 2019 Software update notes ....)

I use CarPlay with my iPhone everyday in my xc40.
      Would it be appropriate to schedule a software update with the dealership based on this software update?

@Gunshow:- Software is ONLY updated during a regular service (10k-20k-30k-ect) or a repair that warrants the update.
      A dealership usually wont just update it because you ask.

Me:- Is it true that once the warranty has expired Volvo will charge you for updates?!
      @Tech:- Yes. Unless you are having your maintenance service performed (50k, 60k, 70k, etc).
      Last edited by Marco1; 07-31-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks for proving my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco1 View Post
      Copied and pasted from other thread (May 2019 Software update notes ....)

I use CarPlay with my iPhone everyday in my xc40.
      Would it be appropriate to schedule a software update with the dealership based on this software update?

@Gunshow:- Software is ONLY updated during a regular service (10k-20k-30k-ect) or a repair that warrants the update.
      A dealership usually wont just update it because you ask.

Me:- Is it true that once the warranty has expired Volvo will charge you for updates?!
      @Tech:- Yes. Unless you are having your maintenance service performed (50k, 60k, 70k, etc).
      I dont really need to respond to such stupidity but I will.

Oil changes does not equal service.

10k/20k/30k no equal oil change

oil change not same thing as a yearly maintenance.

really? are we playing with words now? Cuz every receipt from every car maintenance I EVER got, including a simple oil change says: "Service done" and then lists parts and labor for everything that was done.

If I misquoted or misunderstood something then just say so. You don't need to call people stupid.

I would imagine that newly purchased vehicles, as well as those that are still in factory warranty, would still receive the software updates upon factory scheduled services. If not I foresee numerous lawsuits in the future.
      Traded In: 06 S60R 6MT Sonicama Elevate Exhaust, Phmic, iPD Stg II,Custom DP w/race cat, EST Ultra Flow Intake, Elevate Sways, SNABB Intake Pipe, SS DEM mod, BT, NAV, Miv w/X1

2019 XC40 T5 Inscription: Denim Blue/Blond
      Wheels: 20" 5 Spoke Diamond Cut
      Packages: Premium, Vision, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel
      Options: Premium Sound, Polestar Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Marco1 View Post
      really? are we playing with words now? Cuz every receipt from every car maintenance I EVER got, including a simple oil change says: "Service done" and then lists parts and labor for everything that was done.

If I misquoted or misunderstood something then just say so. You don't need to call people stupid.
      Get a price for an oil change. And get a price for a service. They are not the same. Software was never free with oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Diesel View Post
      I would imagine that newly purchased vehicles, as well as those that are still in factory warranty, would still receive the software updates upon factory scheduled services. If not I foresee numerous lawsuits in the future.
      Nope. Because Volvo isn't paying us for them. I wish there wasn't 5 threads about this. I explain it in the one in the XC90 forum.

My XC40 works great right now, I’ve recieved software updates in the year I’ve owned it, but besides my Dynamic mode changing to Polestar, I haven’t noticed any changes.

If you don’t get software updates, what happens to the car?
      My bride’s - 2019 XC40 (July 2019 OSD), Momentum Mine - 2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition and 1996 VW GTI VR6 (bought new and still love it) Ours - 2008 Jeep GC Limited with a Hemi.

Quote Originally Posted by GTIGuy View Post
      My XC40 works great right now, I’ve recieved software updates in the year I’ve owned it, but besides my Dynamic mode changing to Polestar, I haven’t noticed any changes.

Did you get that last software update as a stand alone issue or along with a service call?
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Marker View Post
      Did you get that last software update as a stand alone issue or along with a service call?
      I thought the last update was part of a recall. My vehicle was in to replace the center armrest under warranty and they did the update.
      My bride’s - 2019 XC40 (July 2019 OSD), Momentum Mine - 2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition and 1996 VW GTI VR6 (bought new and still love it) Ours - 2008 Jeep GC Limited with a Hemi.

I thought the last update was part of a recall. My vehicle was in to replace the center armrest under warranty and they did the update.
      Was the Armrest due to noises?

Quote Originally Posted by madmoondog View Post
      Was the Armrest due to noises?

Yes, it creaked if I put my arm on it. It took a couple of tries to fix it, but the problem was that every time they adjusted it so the creaks went away the armrest would slowly go back out of alighnment. Replacing the armrest has worked perfectly.

The Polestar optimization upgrade is not the same as software updates.
      2019 XC40 T5 Inscription P*

Quote Originally Posted by Svartbörn View Post
      Correct, what he meant was that with the software update in May, the drive mode "dynamic" was renamed "Polestar" in the vehicle if you have the polestar optimization.
      Current:
      Mine- 2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription- Polestar, Advance, Premium, Vision packages, Harmon-Kardon, Heated seats/steering wheel, 19" wheels (OSD June '19)
      Wife- 2018 Volvo V90 Cross Country T5- Convenience package, Heated seats/steering wheel
      Past:
      2016 VW Golf 1.8T SEL
      2014 Kia Sorento SX V6
      2008 Volvo S60 2.5T
      2007 Scion tC

This wouldn’t be so bad if they let you do the updates yourself, similar to the maps. While their current main clientele may not find it valuable, I feel like the age group they would like to attract may find it valuable. ‘To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are getting it.’ This leads me believe the service departments are more to blame than the owner. I find it difficult to believe someone brings their car in for service, is told their is a free software update that is going to make something better, and says ‘no, I don’t want it’. I have taken my car to an out of the area dealership a few times for maintenance due to timing and they don’t tell me about updates. My local dealership does much better.

My XC40 is a little over one year old and has close to 30,000 miles. I have already had my 10, 20, and 30,000 mile services done. Software updates were performed each time with “no charge” on my invoice. I have my service done at a Volvo dealership that is closer to me than the dealership where I bought it.

This is off of my sticker and if it is free lifetime software updates I will make the longer drive if a major update comes out and I do not need service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by samplesdsg View Post
      My XC40 is a little over one year old and has close to 30,000 miles. I have already had my 10, 20, and 30,000 mile services done. Software updates were performed each time with “no charge” on my invoice. I have my service done at a Volvo dealership that is closer to me than the dealership where I bought it.

This is off of my sticker and if it is free lifetime software updates I will make the longer drive if a major update comes out and I do not need service.

Did you actually pay that additional $1500 for that?!!

Unfortunately, yes. I bought at the absolute peak of demand, just couldn't wait (after I had already waited with my order from Care by Volvo for 6 months and then getting pushed back until 2019). One XC40 in a 300 mile radius and I bit; hook, line, and sinker.
      Last edited by samplesdsg; 08-01-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by samplesdsg View Post
      Unfortunately, yes. I bought at the absolute peak of demand, just couldn't wait (after I had already waited with my order from Care by Volvo for 6 months and then getting pushed back until 2019). One XC40 in a 300 mile radius and I bit; hook, line, and sinker.
      oooppphhh....

I mean, if you got the car you wanted, and are happy with it, then I suppose that's all that really matters. But they were definitely ballsy putting those things as add-ons and charging $1500. It's one of those things, that 9 times out of 10, they "knock off" to make it seem like the person is getting a deal.

Let's try to consolidate this conversation to the one larger thread in the XC90 forum. No reason to have this splintered across multiple forums.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-free-software!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Svartbörn View Post
      I know. I bought Polestar last year and they updated my software last mo th. Two very different things.

I just got something in the mail from Service by Volvo, and it says "Complimentary Software Updates", see attached PDF.
      Attached Files Attached Files

Would the software updates be covered under the extended warranty? This truly seems like Volvo is "nickle and diming" us.
      2019 XC40 Momentum T5 + Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by Markdotnet View Post
      Would the software updates be covered under the extended warranty? This truly seems like Volvo is "nickle and diming" us.
      cpo does not pay for general software updates, but if you had a complaint that made sense to do software, it would be done under warranty. (backup camera slow to respond, sensus screen reboots, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by ayn View Post
      I just got something in the mail from Service by Volvo, and it says "Complimentary Software Updates", see attached PDF.
      Just got the exact same thing in the mail. Different dealer, but still says free software upgrades

The thread about this in the XC90 forum was the most active, so if you have questions, check there. But I'll update this one as well.

As of today, Volvo has a new policy for the Service 2.0 software update.

Program Eligibility & Parameters

· Dealers must have VIDA Wi-Fi installed to be eligible for reimbursement.

· The program will be effective from November 1, 2019 – December 31, 2020.

· Service 2.0 must be performed with a scheduled maintenance service .

· Reimbursement is for labor only, software is delivered at no charge.

· Retailers will be reimbursed for ONE Service 2.0 software update per vehicle within a 12 month period.

· Punch time is not required for software downloads and Factory Scheduled Maintenance claims.

· Service 2.0 is only applicable to SPA and CMA vehicles. (P3 vehicles are excluded)

· Can be performed 1 time during the course of the program when performing a scheduled maintenance service.

· Vehicle inquiry must be checked prior to performing to confirm vehicle eligibility.

· Software 2.0 is not claimable with a workshop visit performed as a result of a customer complaint and/or when a total upgrade is claimed to address a customer concern.

· Service 2.0 does not replace PDS Software and cannot be claimed prior to the customer taking new car delivery.

· Service 2.0 can be installed during the reconditioning/inspection process outlined within the Certified by Volvo program guidelines.
      Last edited by Tech; 11-08-2019 at 02:53 PM.

my dealership will only update the software when i bring it in for maintenance. even when i brought it in for the polestar optimization it was flashing software updated needed so i thought they would install polestar and update the software at the same time but they didnt

Quote Originally Posted by OsmiumG View Post
      my dealership will only update the software when i bring it in for maintenance. even when i brought it in for the polestar optimization it was flashing software updated needed so i thought they would install polestar and update the software at the same time but they didnt
      Right, that's how its supposed to be. See above.

BTW, my understanding is that a Total Software Update (i.e., due to a warrantable defect or error code) does not count against the qualified once-a-year Service 2.0 update. For me recently, a Check Engine light necessitated a TSU in attempt to clear the error codes; thus, it did not count against my once every 12 months Service 2.0 update.

My dealer suggested next time that I specifically request the "Software Update (Service 2.0) to make sure it gets applied - in case there is no error code or reported issue in which case the TSU would be applied. Volvo's policy is not to apply an update unless needed or requested. It may be free if warrantable or if a qualified maintenance update.

I wanted to confirm that my dealer is applying the new policy similarly as what I think Tech has mentioned before/above.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast