Little Red's Build Thread - 2007 V50 AWD M66
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar

Little Red's Build Thread - 2007 V50 AWD M66

Now that I have returned to my namesake with a little red V50, and am blessed to be the caretaker of a "unicorn", I figured it is time to create a build thread.

I bought this car sight unseen after speaking with its most recent owners (a professional couple in their late 50s) for $3,500. This car came out of Quebec, is in fairly rough shape (with the exception of the body, miraculously) and is at nearly 200,000 km (125,000 miles), so there will be plenty of little items that I can post about.

Options:

• Leather interior
      • Premium audio
      • Xenon headlights
      • Cold climate package
      • Zaurak wheels

These ticked all of my must haves, but alas I will always lament not having keyless drive. I couldn't see a single V50 for sale with that option, let alone a T5 AWD M66 with it. What kind of a new car buyer cheaps out on such a convenient option that's only $500???

To start with, here are some photos of the car. The previous owners towed the car on flatbed to my location, and apparently did some off-roading along the way, because it arrived covered in mud!

The car is arriving with a reasonably long list of issues (which surprised me a bit), however after living with it for a few days, the positives definitely outweigh the cons. Keep in mind that it's not registered yet, so I can only toodle slowly around my parking lot.

I hooked up VIDA/DICE and scanned the codes. Nearly 30 codes from just about every module on the car. Looked under the hood, and there's an indadequately sized low quality battery that's nearly 6 years old.. not a good sign! I promptly swapped it in for a new battery. Cleared codes and checked them again - only one code has persisted related to the calibration of the right xenon headlight. That's a relief!

Still a long list of items to address:

• Windshield is badly cracked - I have this on order from Volvo, and it was surprisingly inexpensive at just over $300 including shipping. Installation quoted at about $250.
      • Belts squeal until engine is warm, despite the belts having been changed
      • The exhaust blows - looks like the downpipe has been repaired at the flexpipe
      • Power steering pump whines even when sitting still and not turning the wheel
      • Coolant is overfull, and is yellow/orange (for some reason it bothers me that it's not Volvo blue...)
      • Interior is a bit rough, missing some little bits and some trim clips
      • Clutch pedal is missing the pad
      • Tires are completely bald
      • There's a bit of a grinding when the car moves - the owner said it was the tires, but I think it could be a front wheel bearing (they used a cheap bearing to fix one, and I'm sure the shop that did it didn't have the right tool) or a bearing on the AWD drive shaft
      • More, I'm sure...

The car will get all of the basics that a new car would get - fresh fluids, filters, fix common points of failures, etc.

I'm going to swap over the wheels and tires from my S40 - I like the Sagitta's better, and they have a fairly fresh set of 225/45R17 Continental DWS06's on them which have treated me very well.

I will also be swapping over all of the S40's performance parts and tuning the car once it is at stage 1 and has proven reliable.
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sweet! Excited to follow your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Welcome to the red wagon club. Nice ride. I'm jealous for the Premium sound and the a little for the wheels but I like mine too.
      All Clean 2.jpg
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedRidingHood View Post
      These ticked all of my must haves, but alas I will always lament not having keyless drive. I couldn't see a single V50 for sale with that option, let alone a T5 AWD M66 with it. What kind of a new car buyer cheaps out on such a convenient option that's only $500???

call me old fasion (or paranoid) but thats one of the options I would pay extra NOT to have. There is something principally wrong with this all "Im too bothered to open the car using the button" new trend that I will never understand but hey, everyone at their own!

Enjoy the unicorn, very nice! Jelous of winter pack but I suppose you need it more than me in your part of the world :P WOuldnt worry TOO much about all those errors, could have been stored there for years if its one of those owners like "my car drives and I dont care", rather than us, paranoid about every single EML trigerring off.
      btw- totally get you ref coolant. I dont care orange/pink can be up to spec etc, I want to see VolvoBlue in the expansion tank!
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      Welcome to the red wagon club. Nice ride. I'm jealous for the Premium sound and the a little for the wheels but I like mine too.
      Thanks - I like your 'mini-pegs' as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      call me old fasion (or paranoid) but thats one of the options I would pay extra NOT to have. There is something principally wrong with this all "Im too bothered to open the car using the button" new trend that I will never understand but hey, everyone at their own!

Enjoy the unicorn, very nice! Jelous of winter pack but I suppose you need it more than me in your part of the world :P WOuldnt worry TOO much about all those errors, could have been stored there for years if its one of those owners like "my car drives and I dont care", rather than us, paranoid about every single EML trigerring off.
      btw- totally get you ref coolant. I dont care orange/pink can be up to spec etc, I want to see VolvoBlue in the expansion tank!
      I definitely understand the paranoia, but it seems to be a feature that "just works", and the ignition barrel issue seems to affect cars regardless of this option. It's just that once you're spoiled by the feature it's tough to go back. Either way, not a big deal.

Thanks for the tips. It really was just a bad battery, and after battery replacement only one code returned!
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe

Placed an order for some parts through Volvo of Toronto today.

Some fun bits:

- Roof Rails (black): 30756938
      - Load Bars: 31454715

Some not-so-fun bits:

In addition to the broken windshield, an exhaust manifold gasket leak will prevent me from passing the Ontario safety test to register the car. On snugging up the nuts, I think one of the studs spun in the head. It still seems to have some resistance so I'm hoping to be able to re-tap the hole instead of having to drill it out and install a 'nut-cert'. I'll also swap the downpipe over from the S40 while I'm in there.

- 4 x Manifold Studs (just in case): 982667
      - 12 x Manifold Nuts (because they're affordable): 985868
      - Exhaust manifold gasket (surprisingly cheap - about the cost of two manifold studs!): 8699467
      - Turbo to downpipe gasket: 30677190
      - 3 x Turbo to downpipe bolts: 988939

The alternator belt is also screeching, so I ordered a new one. Just praying it's not the alternator itself or the tensioner.

- Alternator belt: 30777531

A few interior bits:

- Clutch pedal pad (not sure how the P.O. lost this): 30736649
      - Clips for the panel on the hatch (it's not really hanging on on one end): 8679426
      - Cover plate where the hatch latch engages (is missing): 39854373
      - Spring for the hatch latch cover plate: 8687427

General service:

- Spark plug kit: 31312691

You guys should trade wheels LOL
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      Showing up at the track in mommy's old station wagon will not make you cool.
      Now 2011 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD Executive, Luxury Package. Multimedia Package. Premium Electric Silver/Soft Beige. 112K. (2011-)
      2011 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD. Climate Package. Rear Park Assist Camera. Technology Package. Exterior Styling Kit. Premium Electric Silver/Sandsoft Beige. 100K. (2011-)

Then 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i. Sport Package. Climate Package. Convenience Package. Black/Dark Beige. (2005-2010)
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Premium Package. Versatility Package. Convenience Package. Climate Package. Titanium Gray Metallic/Light Taupe.(2005-2011)

My Photography Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lomaarts/

I'm counting my blessings, as yesterday I discovered that it was in fact the steel nut that had stripped out and not the stud that spun in the head. What a relief! I stripped the stud a bit trying to get the nut off, so I'll need to purchase a stud extractor to finish the job. Just hoping the gasket is fine and that I won't have to go through that whole process. We'll see once the new stud is in and things are tightened back up.

I have 2007 V50 T5 M66 AWD in black. I do have the keyless and my first Volvo to have this. I really like it. I do not have where I can roll the windows down with the fob which was surprising to me. My daughter has 2006 S40 2.4i which she can roll the windows down with the fob without keyless. It would be nice to have Red but buying used, I am not that picky on colour. Congrats on your new sled.
      Last edited by J5T; 09-05-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J5T View Post
      I have 2007 V50 T5 M66 AWD in black. I do have the keyless and my first Volvo to have this. I really like it. I do not have where I can roll the windows down with the fob which was surprising to me. My daughter has 2006 S40 2.4i which she can roll the windows down with the fob without keyless. I would be nice to have Red but buying used, I am not that picky on colour. Congrats on your new sled.
      Thanks very much. Black looks great, too - just have to keep it clean!

If you have a friend with VIDA, or ever take it to the dealership for something else they can enable rolling down the windows via the fob.

I have VIDA. Is this a setting in VIDA or a software dump. If software, do you know the software part number? I will fix this right up.

It's a setting in vida under the climate module I think. I successfully make it work on a 06 s40. Have to go through the programming steps. Won't do the roll up function, that was disabled in the us market
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 a tribute to Heico's ODIN HS4

Well, down the rabbit hole we go!

Replacement of one stud turned into more snapped studs and eventually the turbo coming off. Two studs snapped off flush with the head, and I couldn't recover from that. I had it towed to a shop and they spent all day trying to get those studs out - reportedly they couldn't get a nut solidly welded to them, and couldn't drill into it at all. I guess all those hot/cold cycles made the stud extremely hard and brittle.

Only thing left to do now is remove the head and take it to a machine shop. I think I am going to tackle it myself. Will be shimming the block while I'm at it. Only positive is that it will force me to tackle the leaking cam seal(s) sooner rather than later.

If anyone has any suggestions for worthwhile modifications while I'm in there, please speak now! If I hear people screaming "performance cams", "heavier valves springs", or "port it and polish it", I might just have to listen.

Jeez, I thought I could get this beauty on the road with just a few hours of work! Wish I could justify spending cash on a K16 right now - it might make all this feel worthwhile!

You mentioned a squealing power steering pump. Is that issue fixable with a fluid flush or do you have to replace the pump? I have the same noisy issue.
      2006 S40 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
      You mentioned a squealing power steering pump. Is that issue fixable with a fluid flush or do you have to replace the pump? I have the same noisy issue.
      I think it was the alternator serpentine belt - unconfirmed since the car hasn't run since I replaced it.

That being said, the power steering pump was making an odd lower pitch whining noise. Replacing the battery resolved the issue and it now makes the typical higher pitch noise only when the wheel is turned.

Gotcha. Mine squeals 24/7 with bonus increased volume when I turn the wheel.
      2006 S40 T5 AWD M66

Well, the head removal is well underway. Turbo is off, as it was before. Everything intake related is off. Wiring is out of the way., and mostly labelled. Most sensors and the coil packs are off. Accessory belts are off. VVT hubs are cracked loose.

Only a few more things to go:

• Remove the VVT solenoids - damn are they ever in there - they rotate freely but won't budge vertically
      • Remove the cam plugs on the driver's side of the car, and crack loose the screws at the end of the cams with a hand impact
      • Remove (cut?) timing belt - it will be replaced with a new one
      • Suspend engine, remove motor mount, and the few metal and plastic pieces from that side of the engine
      • Remove cam cover and cams
      • Remove head
      • Voila!

Progress shot:

So many temptations are arising, as what an opportunity to upgrade while everything's apart. I will absolutely be shimming the block using shims made by DeeWorks. Tempted by Newman stage 1 cams. Tempted by a hybrid K04 with K16 internals (would require new injectors, maybe a new MAF). Tempted by an aftermarket inlet manifold with ported/polished intake runners to match. This may be an exercise in self restraint.

Curious - why are you removing the VVT hubs, solenoids, cam covers, etc? Couldn't you have just marked them and left the head intact, since all you're doing is servicing the manifold studs, etc? I guess you do need to get to the head bolts under the cover, but it seems like you can leave a lot of stuff in place, or at least deal with them off the engine/car.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Well, the head removal is well underway. Turbo is off, as it was before. Everything intake related is off. Wiring is out of the way., and mostly labelled. Most sensors and the coil packs are off. Accessory belts are off. VVT hubs are cracked loose.

Only a few more things to go:

• Remove the VVT solenoids - damn are they ever in there - they rotate freely but won't budge vertically
      • Remove the cam plugs on the driver's side of the car, and crack loose the screws at the end of the cams with a hand impact
      • Remove (cut?) timing belt - it will be replaced with a new one
      • Suspend engine, remove motor mount, and the few metal and plastic pieces from that side of the engine
      • Remove cam cover and cams
      • Remove head
      • Voila!

Progress shot:

So many temptations are arising, as what an opportunity to upgrade while everything's apart. I will absolutely be shimming the block using shims made by DeeWorks. Tempted by Newman stage 1 cams. Tempted by a hybrid K04 with K16 internals (would require new injectors, maybe a new MAF). Tempted by an aftermarket inlet manifold with ported/polished intake runners to match. This may be an exercise in self restraint.
      I'm so keen to see what you do with this thing...You know you want to give in to some of those temptations right???

I'm interested in what gains you would see with the Newman Stage 1 cams.... I've seen their specs/performance but haven't seen a side by side comparison against the stock cam. Have you?

Also interested to see that difference again on a car with common mods...i.e. DP, exhaust, intake and intercooler. Very interesting.
      My unicorn - 2008 V50 AWD T5 - 6 speed manual
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...l-build-thread

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      Curious - why are you removing the VVT hubs, solenoids, cam covers, etc? Couldn't you have just marked them and left the head intact, since all you're doing is servicing the manifold studs, etc? I guess you do need to get to the head bolts under the cover, but it seems like you can leave a lot of stuff in place, or at least deal with them off the engine/car.
      I am thinking about upgrading the cams, and would need to transfer the VVT hubs, etc. to the new cams. Easiest place to remove these seems to be on the engine with it in gear to provide resistance. Wouldn't want to damage them in a vice, etc (and I don't have a real impact wrench).

All of the instructionals I've seen (including VIDA) include removing the VVT solenoids and I don't wan to bend them or mar anything when lifting the cover off because I didn't remove something. I'd also like to replace all of the seals I possibly can while I'm at it.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_50 View Post
      I'm so keen to see what you do with this thing...You know you want to give in to some of those temptations right???

I'm interested in what gains you would see with the Newman Stage 1 cams.... I've seen their specs/performance but haven't seen a side by side comparison against the stock cam. Have you?

Also interested to see that difference again on a car with common mods...i.e. DP, exhaust, intake and intercooler. Very interesting.
      I think I'm pretty set on the cams. It's the only thing that I really wouldn't want to have to do after sealing everything back up. The primary reason I'm interested is because MNIWT has reported that the car will pull hard to redline instead of running out of puff. A member on C30Crew.com reported ~25 hp increase without even getting a tune. If you have an account you can see the dyno sheet and info here: http://www.c30crew.com/forum/showthr...sses-Car/page7

And the head is off! Honestly not as bad of a job as I had imagined. I didn't really need the cam cover hold-down tool as the cam cover was really stuck down by the old anaerobic sealant, and it really only got in the way of undoing 8 of the cam cover bolts.

Here's what the engine bay looks like now:

Here's my system for keeping track of the solid lifters:

Here are the valves (intake on top, exhaust on the bottom). Looks reasonably clean in my inexperienced opinion:

And, the two young offenders causing all this trouble at the age of only 12 years old:

Here's my parts list to order (plus the one exciting part, Newman cams!):

Head gasket - Volvo 31251501
      5 x Head o-rings (around spark plug wells) - Volvo 31401351
      Intake manifold to head gasket - Volvo 31430420
      5 x Intake plenum to manifold gasket - Volvo 31331885
      Throttle body gasket Volvo - Volvo 30637439
      2 x Cam seals (timing side) - Volvo 9458309
      2 x VVT solenoid sealing rings - Volvo 30612805
      2 x VVT solenoid o-rings - Volvo 30640846
      2 x Camshaft plugs - Volvo 1397381
      2 x Turbo oil feed line crush washers (engine side) - Volvo 947282
      4 x Turbo coolant line crush washers - Volvo 969011
      2 x Mount to engine bolts - Volvo 985299
      Engine mount (Passenger side ) - Volvo 31262676
      Oil filter housing - Volvo 31338685
      Timing belt - Volvo 8627484
      A/C belt - Volvo 30777530
      Anaerobic sealant - Permatex
      Head bolts - Beck Arnley
      DeeWorks shims (block mod)

I already have a number of other parts: alternator belt, exhaust manifold gasket, studs, and nuts, some of the turbo feed/drain gaskets, etc.

I'd like to get injector to intake runner o-rings, but it doesn't seem like Volvo sells them separately, just the top and bottom set which is absurdly expensive.

I also have a Gates upper radiator hose to swap in there as a precautionary measure.

I wanted to write this point in a separate post...

I noticed when I purchased the car, and it has become even more clear when taking it apart, that there is a ton of oil along the timing side of the engine. I initially suspected cam seals. It's even been flung out by the crank pulley by the looks of it and has coated all the plastic around it.

Is there anywhere else that the car might be leaking oil that would do that? Front crankshaft seal? I don't think any of the turbo oil lines would do that. Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      It's a setting in vida under the climate module I think. I successfully make it work on a 06 s40. Have to go through the programming steps. Won't do the roll up function, that was disabled in the us market
      I found the global open close setting in the CEM while in VIDA. VIDA stated that the moon roof function is disabled for American market. However, it did not say this for the global close. I set global open active and global close active. Only global open works. I tried the two different setting for global close active and neither worked. Thanks for the info that it can be set.

I think I'm pretty set on the cams. It's the only thing that I really wouldn't want to have to do after sealing everything back up. The primary reason I'm interested is because MNIWT has reported that the car will pull hard to redline instead of running out of puff. A member on C30Crew.com reported ~25 hp increase without even getting a tune. If you have an account you can see the dyno sheet and info here: http://www.c30crew.com/forum/showthr...sses-Car/page7
      Yeah MNIWT is where I first heard about the cams too.They sound appealing and with a hand full of other mods it sounds like a lot of fun. I'm keen to see what your thoughts are once you get them in and are up and running.
      My unicorn - 2008 V50 AWD T5 - 6 speed manual
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...l-build-thread

Got the oil filter housing off the car. It will be replaced with a new one.

Started the process of shimming the block using shims from www.deeworks.ca:

Two of the shims appeared to be the wrong size (different than what I ordered), so I need to wait for new ones.

On another note, I've completely shifted directions for this build. It's going to be a stock build. Looking for some 4 season, or light truck style mud+snow tires to make this our adventure vehicles. Something goo for gravel and dirt roads that doesn't sacrifice too much economy or road noise. Something like this: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires...-0044901p.html

The S40 will be sold as it stands. Cams are half way over from the UK and the restocking fee is too high to just return them. Wish I had thought this through a bit more! They will be posted in the classifieds shortly, so look out for that. I was very excited about it, but chasing performance is conflicting with my other goals...

Got the last two shims in there.

Looks like the engine had a "timing event" at some point in its life. Stock pistons have two pock marks for the valves, but mine have 4 (2 look nicely done, 2 were caused by interference). They were all covered by a reasonably thick layer of carbon build up, so I'm hoping this was addressed properly and new valves were put in long ago.

A question for everyone:

I was using the renound 'bump the starter' method to get the harmonic balancer bolt off, and a puff of smoke came up from the starter. Upon further inspection it looks like the thick braided copper wire going from the solenoid to the starter motor burnt up where it attaches to the starter motor. I can't tell whether it was soldered or crimped. Is it advised to re-solder this connection? I was trying to test the solenoid and the motor, but I don't have jumper cables, and I don't think my booster pack likes doing that - it's more of an 'assist the battery' kind of pack.

Anyways, cable in question is circled, and the solder/crimp point is indicated with the arrow. Note that this is a previous starter of mine - there is no break in the cable, it's just disconnected right where the point of the arrow is. It also seems to be a different design than to the one pictured below - it really looks more like a solder to me. Please advise - thanks!

A question for everyone:

I was using the renound 'bump the starter' method to get the harmonic balancer bolt off, and a puff of smoke came up from the starter. Upon further inspection it looks like the thick braided copper wire going from the solenoid to the starter motor burnt up where it attaches to the starter motor. I can't tell whether it was soldered or crimped. Is it advised to re-solder this connection? I was trying to test the solenoid and the motor, but I don't have jumper cables, and I don't think my booster pack likes doing that - it's more of an 'assist the battery' kind of pack.

Anyways, cable in question is circled, and the solder/crimp point is indicated with the arrow. Note that this is a previous starter of mine - there is no break in the cable, it's just disconnected right where the point of the arrow is. It also seems to be a different design than to the one pictured below - it really looks more like a solder to me. Please advise - thanks!

My .02 - you'd need to soap and water that whole area - then clean off all the oxidation from that wire - then flux it and solder it with a torch of somekind - while not getting too much everywhere else. Only way to prevent all that dirt and corrosion from causing you an issue again.

That being said - would I do it? No. I'd rip off the old one, tap open that clamp and remove and clean the mating points - $2.00 of wire from the local hardware store pop it in place after cleaning hte connections.

But honestly - I'd just get a new starter, I'm short on time for the time being -keep this one for spare parts.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      But honestly - I'd just get a new starter
      I'm with avenger - if the braided copper vaporized, something else took some serious current in there too. Who knows what shape it's in, or when it will go again.

Good news is, now that the starter's out, you can easily stick a pin punch into that little lineup hole to lock the crankshaft and get the nut off!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

It looks like there is a good amount of corrosion on that starter. The wire was likely also corroded which caused it to fuse open under high current. I think it would be a good idea to replace the starter considering the corrosion.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Not sure if you saw my note, but this is NOT the starter in question. Either way, I agree that there was clearly a surge of current so it's probably best to replace it. I'll post a photo of the actual starter once it's off the car just to confirm.

Made a huge amount of progress this weekend. Head is back on, timed everything "from scratch". Mostly just tidy up work, and a few tough tasks that tested my patience today. Waiting on a used starter motor found on car-part.com, and need new cam plugs for the drivers side of the block (I realized that I forgot to torque the screws connecting the cam position sensor rotors to the end of the cams and had to rip off the new ones I had just installed - that didn't feel good.

The turbo oil drain is being very stubborn, and I think that will be the hardest piece to complete. The TCV also broke, so need to replace that.

Aside from what's mentioned above, it's just the last bit of wiring, the turbo to intercooler hard pipe, and airbox. I'll crank the engine for a bit without the spark plugs installed to circulate oil around before firing it up.

Here are some photos from the process:

Great work! Thanks for posting the pictures too, I am not nearly this adventurous but hope to eventually be able to do something like this (well I hope nothing breaks, but that I have the confidence/skill to do it).

Did you do all of this work at home in a driveway, or with a lift? I suppose for the top of the engine you didn't need the car lifted, but some of the lower parts.

Thanks! All of the work was done in my apartment's parking spot, often when it had cars on either side of it. I've only needed a jack and two jack stands (although I have 4), and a number of basic hand tools (ratchets, wrenches, hammer for persuasion, pliers, torque wrench, etc). The Volvo camshaft and crankshaft locking tools, and cam cover hold down tool were the only special tools needed.

A note for all: I was able to replace the timing belt without removing the harmonic balancer/pulley. There is a plastic cover between the pulley and the block held on by two 10mm bolts which allows the timing belt to be threaded in there carefully. See details here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tljxoQFDe0&app=desktop - it's not as hard as he makes it sound - took about 5 minutes at most.

The car was driven on the open road for the first time today to drop it off at the glass shop for an OE glass replacement. Total will only be about $400 plus tax - feels like a steal!

It's definitely a bit rough - needs new plugs (it's misfiring and running a bit rough), some suspension work (feels a little sloppy), and some TLC. Tires will be put on on Monday which should make a big difference - the current ones are totally bald. Went for a mud+snow tire for some light 'XC' ability. It made the S40 feel like a Koenigsegg after driving it in its current state!

SRS message seems to have gone away after having driven a bit and charging back up the battery - knock on wood!

I am just glad it's not an expensive paperweight after the fear of having the timing off and bending valves. More details here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Smell-of-Fuel

Side note - it hasn't drank nearly as much coolant as I expected. The shop that briefly had it said drained the coolant. Coolant looks pretty blue in the tank (had yellow in it before), but it's only taken in about 5L and hasn't been dropping after 15 minutes of idling/reving at 2000rpm, and 20 minutes of driving. I was expecting it to take about 8.5L. There block was dry, and when I replaced the lower radiator hose none spilled. Could there have been another pool of coolant hiding out somewhere?
      Last edited by LittleRedRidingHood; 10-04-2019 at 10:29 AM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast