Now that I have returned to my namesake with a little red V50, and am blessed to be the caretaker of a "unicorn", I figured it is time to create a build thread.
I bought this car sight unseen after speaking with its most recent owners (a professional couple in their late 50s) for $3,500. This car came out of Quebec, is in fairly rough shape (with the exception of the body, miraculously) and is at nearly 200,000 km (125,000 miles), so there will be plenty of little items that I can post about.
- Leather interior
- Premium audio
- Xenon headlights
- Cold climate package
- Zaurak wheels
These ticked all of my must haves, but alas I will always lament not having keyless drive. I couldn't see a single V50 for sale with that option, let alone a T5 AWD M66 with it. What kind of a new car buyer cheaps out on such a convenient option that's only $500???
To start with, here are some photos of the car. The previous owners towed the car on flatbed to my location, and apparently did some off-roading along the way, because it arrived covered in mud!
The car is arriving with a reasonably long list of issues (which surprised me a bit), however after living with it for a few days, the positives definitely outweigh the cons. Keep in mind that it's not registered yet, so I can only toodle slowly around my parking lot.
I hooked up VIDA/DICE and scanned the codes. Nearly 30 codes from just about every module on the car. Looked under the hood, and there's an indadequately sized low quality battery that's nearly 6 years old.. not a good sign! I promptly swapped it in for a new battery. Cleared codes and checked them again - only one code has persisted related to the calibration of the right xenon headlight. That's a relief!
Still a long list of items to address:
- Windshield is badly cracked - I have this on order from Volvo, and it was surprisingly inexpensive at just over $300 including shipping. Installation quoted at about $250.
- Belts squeal until engine is warm, despite the belts having been changed
- The exhaust blows - looks like the downpipe has been repaired at the flexpipe
- Power steering pump whines even when sitting still and not turning the wheel
- Coolant is overfull, and is yellow/orange (for some reason it bothers me that it's not Volvo blue...)
- Interior is a bit rough, missing some little bits and some trim clips
- Clutch pedal is missing the pad
- Tires are completely bald
- There's a bit of a grinding when the car moves - the owner said it was the tires, but I think it could be a front wheel bearing (they used a cheap bearing to fix one, and I'm sure the shop that did it didn't have the right tool) or a bearing on the AWD drive shaft
- More, I'm sure...
The car will get all of the basics that a new car would get - fresh fluids, filters, fix common points of failures, etc.
I'm going to swap over the wheels and tires from my S40 - I like the Sagitta's better, and they have a fairly fresh set of 225/45R17 Continental DWS06's on them which have treated me very well.
I will also be swapping over all of the S40's performance parts and tuning the car once it is at stage 1 and has proven reliable.