V60 Trailer hitch
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

V60 Trailer hitch

We have a 2019 V60 T6 (R-Design) and would like to add a trailer hitch. Is there an official volvo hitch? Do you recommend it or something else? Would welcome suggestions

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm not sure with the V60, but I do know the official XC90 hitch in North America requires that the bumper be cut. I would recommend Stealth Hitch (www.stealthhitches.com.
      (Hers) 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Convenience | Vision | Climate with Heated Windshield | Carbon Fiber | Nappa Leather | Black Headliner |
      (His) 2020 V60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Premium | Premium Plus (HUD) |

I too was looking for an official trailer hitch for a 2019 V60, but Volvo does not offer their power folding tow bar in the US. Stealthhitch looks like a great option, and my V60 already has an opening in the bottom on the bumper where the factory unit would have been. I considered ordering a Volvo genuine hitch from overseas but Volvo customer service they would not warrant it.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JSNY View Post
      We have a 2019 V60 T6 (R-Design) and would like to add a trailer hitch. Is there an official volvo hitch? Do you recommend it or something else? Would welcome suggestions

Thanks
      Look into the Stealth trailer hitch. It a top quality hitch and fully hidden when not in use. I put one on my Subaru Outback. Great product.
      Currently Volvo-less
      2004 V70 - 2.5 T Just totaled on 27 Sep 15
      2007 XC90 - gone
      2010 XC-90- gone
      1989 240 DL - gone but not forgotten

V60 Trailer hitch

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoConvert View Post
      I too was looking for an official trailer hitch for a 2019 V60, but Volvo does not offer their power folding tow bar in the US. Stealthhitch looks like a great option, and my V60 already has an opening in the bottom on the bumper where the factory unit would have been. I considered ordering a Volvo genuine hitch from overseas but Volvo customer service they would not warrant it.
      I have the InvisiHitch which is very very similar to the StealthHitch. Regardless of the hardware, I bought the OEM wiring harness through the dealer who installed it plus the software. The wiring IMO and software needs the warranty more so than the hitch itself. The OEM wiring, software and installation are covered by Volvo’s parts warranty and the dealer. I also had my dealer install the InvisiHitch hardware. Although not covered by Volvo’s warranty. 2.5 years and going strong.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 08-04-2019 at 09:27 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I am wondering the same thing if the fold away dealer installed trailer hitch is worth buying. It comes with 1.25 receiver which limits the type of trailer hitches if you are wanting to tow a trailer. Stealth Hitch is something to look at, but you will need to take it to the dealer to install the anti-sway software. LMK what you decide to do. Thanks

I have ordered the Stealth Hitch for my V60. I am only using it for my bike rack so don't need to take it to the dealer for the SW.
      (Hers) 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Convenience | Vision | Climate with Heated Windshield | Carbon Fiber | Nappa Leather | Black Headliner |

Quote Originally Posted by thorin33 View Post
      I have ordered the Stealth Hitch for my V60. I am only using it for my bike rack so don't need to take it to the dealer for the SW.
      Do you have BLIS? I know you can turn off BLIS from the left function panel on Sensus which may negate the need for the software.

Otherwise, you might receive false and annoying BLIS warnings with your bike rack and bike.

Others have more experience with just the bike rack than me. I tow a utility trailer. Without having hooked up the lights, et al, I know that I was getting the BLIS or similar warnings. Not sure about the other safety features in your case. Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I do have BLIS on my V60. I have the same issues with BLIS warnings on my wife's XC90 and the Invisihitch we have on her car. I just turn it off manually using Sensus.

NO bumper cutting

Quote Originally Posted by JSNY View Post

Thanks
      https://stealthhitches.com/?utm_camp...8aAnS7EALw_wcB

they have one! looks awesome. No bumper cutting

Volvo does offer a V60 folding trailer hitch. Are you going to use it for towing or just for bike racks. If not for towing, I would look at an aftermarket other than Volvo. If you are planning on using for towing you will need to decide if the 1.25 inch receiver hitch, which is what the Volvo hitch has, is large enough. Stealth hitch is a good product, but you will need to take it to a Volvo dealer after it is installed to do a software update so your anti-sway feature is working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonCs View Post
      Volvo does offer a V60 folding trailer hitch. Are you going to use it for towing or just for bike racks. If not for towing, I would look at an aftermarket other than Volvo. If you are planning on using for towing you will need to decide if the 1.25 inch receiver hitch, which is what the Volvo hitch has, is large enough. Stealth hitch is a good product, but you will need to take it to a Volvo dealer after it is installed to do a software update so your anti-sway feature is working correctly.
      The foldable hitch, by VOLVO, will offer a 2” ball; it’s not the old style where it has a fixed 1.25”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

I’ve got the stealth hitch on my 2019 non-cc V60. Fits nice with minimum cutting (nothing visible). The only problem I’m having is that I can’t find a dealership that will update the software as they don’t offer a hitch with the non-cc V60. Any suggestions? Lights work with the harness and all, would be nice to have it integrate with the car for stability control etc.

Volvo has a foldable hitch for the V60 CC North American market which has a removable ball, so can work with a bike rack. But there is very little info other than what’s on the Canadian website - I’ve talked to two dealers and neither had installed one yet.

I have a V90 CC and was about to pull the trigger on a stealthhitch, but now I’m going to wait until Spring to see if Volvo rolls this hitch out for the V90 CC. Stealth is a great product, so if Volvo doesn’t offer anything I’ll go that route in the Spring. I bike a lot so have a hitch rack, but also have to tow my boat occasionally.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-516544/2020

Quote Originally Posted by J_rod500 View Post
      I’ve got the stealth hitch on my 2019 non-cc V60. Fits nice with minimum cutting (nothing visible). The only problem I’m having is that I can’t find a dealership that will update the software as they don’t offer a hitch with the non-cc V60. Any suggestions? Lights work with the harness and all, would be nice to have it integrate with the car for stability control etc.
      Have you spoken with Stealth? With the V90, apparently you need to have the XC stability program loaded - so this might be the same case for the V60. Then you could just ask the dealer to load that. Stealth is really good at responding to questions.

I order my V60 CC with it from factory, still getting build will post more when I know.
      2020 V60 CC

I did talk to stealth, said should just be a software update. By dealership insist that a hitch is not an option for the non-cc so they can’t do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by J_rod500 View Post
      I did talk to stealth, said should just be a software update. By dealership insist that a hitch is not an option for the non-cc so they can’t do anything.
      It’s probably as the non CC was not certified / tested to receive a tow rating in NA. The car itself like many others is able to utilize a tow hitch design for a different model. The dealership won’t install it as it’s not allowed to.
      2020 V60 CC

Awaiting Approval
      Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      I have the InvisiHitch which is very very similar to the StealthHitch. Regardless of the hardware, I bought the OEM wiring harness through the dealer who installed it plus the software. The wiring IMO and software needs the warranty more so than the hitch itself. The OEM wiring, software and installation are covered by Volvo’s parts warranty and the dealer. I also had my dealer install the InvisiHitch hardware. Although not covered by Volvo’s warranty. 2.5 years and going strong.
      Just wondering how the module/updated software works:
      Once installed, how does the car know wether it's towing or in regular drive mode?

Do you have to set this via the menu ( from the driver console/radio unit)?

or does the module/car recognize this "automatically" by itself?

Also: when pulling a trailer with electrical brakes: how or where do you have a brake controller set up?

Seems like there are very few folks towing and I cannot find out from any local dealer nor the very uninformed US customer service guys... it'd be great to know how to pull my little popup trailer safely before investing in this rather expensive Volvo setup...

Cheers!
      monku

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Do you mind sharing how much the dealer charged to do the software?
      2015.5 V60 T5 AWD. Savile Grey, Beechwood. IPD Sway Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by MDicnMan View Post
      Do you mind sharing how much the dealer charged to do the software?
      The cost of the software and labor was all rolled into the total cost of installing the Invisihitch, the wiring harness, et al which was $500.

Since the majority of the cost was dissembling, re-assembling and physically installing hardware in terms of labor, I would guess the labor allocation for the software and testing would be maybe 10% (e.g., $50). However, that was part of a larger project.

The minimum shop labor rate (e.g., US $125) and a hour (e.g., one hr) would probably apply.

A reasonable guesstimate would probably be $250 total ($125 for labor + $125 for the software). Hopefully, that is on the high side but your local shop rates and minimum labor may vary.

My apologies for not having detailed info. Maybe someone else can validate my guesstimate or actual cost. Some DIYs may have suggestions but I am not DIY on my car.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements