Is info from FDC to be relied upon?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I dropped my car off on July 12 at the FDC. I was told that day that my car would be on the July 17 ship and will arrive at my dealer in St. Paul on August 27. Since then I’ve been trying to get some tracking information on the car. Today after patiently waiting and trying to find out some details about where the car was in the process, I received some news. It is going to be placed on a ship on August 17! It is still in Gothenburg. Now I will be lucky to get it before October. Anyone else have this issue? I know about the midsommar vacation time, but I also thought I could rely on the info I received when I turned my car in. Missing my V60...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wondering if this is a summer thing as the same thing happened last year (2018) but back then there were multiple factors at play (key Volvo car ship scheduling person on extended summer vacation, factory summer break, logistics system change, what else did I forget?). It was all 1st-world waiting agony . . . It's all documented at the thread below. Hope I'm wrong . . .

EDIT: Not everyone was hugely delayed, it was just a subset of folks. Those of us affected never did determine what the root was, and none of us really got a full explanation why us instead of others. Oh well!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t
      Last edited by likeXC90; 08-07-2019 at 12:48 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Mine missed the first two schedule date. Still came within the 8-10 weeks they quoted me upfront. Once your car ships you get to watch it cross the pond. Fun fun.
      Sid
      2019 Volvo XC90 T6 OSD
      2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
      2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10
      2012 Ducati Diavel

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I dropped mine off at Volvo, 1 July and it shipped the day promised, 10th July. I tracked the boat when it arrived the 25th July. It's been sitting in NJ. My arrival date is 22nd Aug. I expect that to be the date, manifesting Volvo bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by pkitundu View Post
      I dropped my car off on July 12 at the FDC. I was told that day that my car would be on the July 17 ship and will arrive at my dealer in St. Paul on August 27. Since then I’ve been trying to get some tracking information on the car. Today after patiently waiting and trying to find out some details about where the car was in the process, I received some news. It is going to be placed on a ship on August 17! It is still in Gothenburg. Now I will be lucky to get it before October. Anyone else have this issue? I know about the midsommar vacation time, but I also thought I could rely on the info I received when I turned my car in. Missing my V60...
      Same here, first I was informed that it would ship July 17, and later, that it won’t depart until August 17 supposedly because of the summer shutdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ours was pretty much shipped as predicted by the FDC in June last year, and tracking it online looked like we might get an early delivery based on the progress of the ship. It got to port in California, sat for a couple of days, then the car disappeared within the Customs process for just about four weeks. During the Customs inspection there was no way to know what was happening. In the end, it arrived within a couple of days of the FDC estimate. Our Seattle dealer was top notch in getting the final delivery accomplished with great haste.

We were lucky in avoiding the glitch last summer that affected some customers.

Good luck!

Thanks for al of the responses. I am just going to wait until the week of the 17th to see if I can get the shipping details. Then I should be able to track it across the ocean. Can’t wait.

Quote Originally Posted by pkitundu View Post
      Thanks for al of the responses. I am just going to wait until the week of the 17th to see if I can get the shipping details. Then I should be able to track it across the ocean. Can’t wait.
      Be aware that once the ship leaves near shore areas, the “free” tracking doesn’t work crossing the Atlantic. So don’t be surprised when the ship “disappears” for a few days.

Enjoy!

We dropped our XC40 off in Gothenburg on July 17th 2018 and is stayed in Sweden for 63 days before it made it to CT. We picked it up the first week in October.

Keep on top of Volvo about the shipping of your car and don’t rely on getting email updates from Volvo. The emails I received about shipping were received after I took possession of our XC40 at my delership.

Best of luck!
      My bride’s - 2019 XC40 (July 2019 OSD), Momentum Mine - 2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition and 1996 VW GTI VR6 (bought new and still love it) Ours - 2008 Jeep GC Limited with a Hemi.

Seems like the summer is the worst time for scheduling, and the colder it is the more expeditious the whole process is.
      Mine was 41 days from dropping it off at the FDC until arrival in Cincinnati, which I thought was great. But that was in the March/April timeframe.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

How long could my XC40 sit in NJ? I wish I could go down and get her, myself.

My V90 waited in NJ for a little over 3 weeks before it was loaded on a truck and transported to Hyannis. They way it was explained to me is they put out a call to 3rd party car haulers coming this way and when one of them has a spot on a truck they take up the offer and move the car. So it's a bit unpredictable.
      Future: 2020 V60 T8 P*
      Current: 2018 V90 T6
      Previous: 1972 1800E | 1983 240 DL | 2005 V70R | 2007 C70 T5

Quote Originally Posted by jedj View Post
      My V90 waited in NJ for a little over 3 weeks before it was loaded on a truck and transported to Hyannis. They way it was explained to me is they put out a call to 3rd party car haulers coming this way and when one of them has a spot on a truck they take up the offer and move the car. So it's a bit unpredictable.

Well, I am a casualty of this mess. Mine did NOT leave July 10 as I was told and was NOT on the Toledo as I was also told. It will ship the 17th and arrive the 31st. My anger is great, mostly because I have been given misinformation from both Rhonda in Alabama and Barbara, in the NJ office.

My car arrived at the dealer in St Paul, MN on Friday. I had initially dropped it off on July 12 but it did not ship out until Aug 17. I believe the ship landed in Baltimore on Sept 9 and I received a release for truck transport on Tuesday. After a long wait I will pick it up next Saturday.

My XC40 turned in on July 15 is finally sitting at the dealer, awaiting my pickup. Pretty much right on the 8 week time as predicted.
      July 2019 OSD XC40 T5 R-Design Black Stone

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements