LED replacement bulbs, 2008 S60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Lightbulb LED replacement bulbs, 2008 S60

As incandescent bulbs burn out, I'm trying to replace them with LED bulbs.
      My criteria: direct replacement, no modifications, no CAN bus issues.
      Thus far I can recommend:

Parking lights, front

Sylvania LED Mini Bulb 168
      O'Reilly Amazon
      Double the brightness (but not too bright), white light, direct replacement without modifications of any kind. Makes the car much easier to find in a parking lot with the remote.

Backup lights

iBrightstar Newest 9-30V Super Bright Low Power 1156 1141 1003 BA15S LED Bulbs white
      Amazon eBay
      My Amazon review: "Used a pair of these to replace the backup bulbs on my 2008 Volvo S60, and the result is outstanding. Double the brightness, white light, direct replacement without modifications of any kind. These are the ones to get, highly recommended!"

~~~ LOOKS GOOD ON PAPER BUT NOT TESTED ~~~

Turn signals

AMAZENAR 7507 Extremely Bright Amber / Yellow Non-Polarity Canbus Error Code Free LED
      (Claimed brightness is about 3X standard incandescent bulb, guessing it's more like 2X.)
      Last edited by JNavas; 01-30-2018 at 06:11 PM.
      Hope that helps,
      John
      2008 Volvo S60 2.5T (black with oak interior)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Are your front turn signals not the 7507 bulb type?
      Last edited by achb5; 01-25-2018 at 11:43 AM.

The backup lights are not attached to the CANBUS BOW system, nor are the puddle lights (under the mirrors). I've replaced both of mine with LEDs along with the tail side marker lights without issue. The running and brake bulbs however along with the turn signal bulbs are what will give issue and are connected to the CANBUS BOW system.
      2004 S60 2.5T - Stock for now...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by achb5 View Post
      Are your front turn signals not the 7507 bulb type?
      Thus far I've only done (a) front parking and (b) backup bulbs.

My turn signal bulbs are indeed 7507 (BAU15a).
      iBrightstar also has an LED replacement for that bulb: Amazon
      But it's probably not a direct replacement without modification --
      you would probably need to add load resisters; e.g., Amazon

Instead you may want to try CAN bus compatible LED replacements; e.g.,
      AMAZENAR 7507 Extremely Bright Amber / Yellow Non-Polarity Canbus Error Code Free LED
      (Claimed brightness is about 3X standard bulb brightness. I've not tried them, but guessing it's more like 2X.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phixion View Post
      The backup lights are not attached to the CANBUS BOW system, nor are the puddle lights (under the mirrors). I've replaced both of mine with LEDs along with the tail side marker lights without issue. The running and brake bulbs however along with the turn signal bulbs are what will give issue and are connected to the CANBUS BOW system.
      See above.
      Hope that helps,
      John

Thanks for the post John.I have been lurking and asked about this backup light thing before.I hate my backup lights!! I finally have a concise answer thanks to you!

Quote Originally Posted by chefricky View Post
      Thanks for the post John.I have been lurking and asked about this backup light thing before.I hate my backup lights!! I finally have a concise answer thanks to you!
      Back up lights you can throw in any bulb without BOW worry.

Quick new guy question. I have an 07 S60 and the link you have for the front parking light says it doesn't fit my car. Did they change from 07-08?
      07 S60 2.5T AWD Black Sap Metallic - The Daily ~ 125K!!
      Snabb Turbo Pipe
      ipd rear strut bar
      ipd solid strut mounts
      ipd top poly engine mount
      ipd bottom poly trans mount
      Drop in Filter
      18" Kumho's

Quote Originally Posted by Roadboy View Post
      Quick new guy question. I have an 07 S60 and the link you have for the front parking light says it doesn't fit my car. Did they change from 07-08?
      According to the Volvo Owner's Manual, front parking lights are the same for 2007 and 2008 S60: W2.1x9.5d
      Hope that helps,
      John

LED vanity mirror replacement bulbs, 2008 S60

I'm generally happy with the incandescent interior lights in my 2008 S60 -- I like soft lighting and gradual on/off -- except for the vanity mirror lights, which I find too wimpy to be useful. So my latest LED upgrade was to replace the incandescent vanity mirror bulbs with LED bulbs.

After determining the correct type and size (festoon base, length 29-30mm), the tricky part was finding good quality, bright bulbs, but not too bright, preferably non-polarity. I settled on Alla Lighting 3030 SMD 6614F ($13 for 4 on Amazon, also available on eBay).

They are quite bright, several times brighter than the stock incandescent bulbs. I find them good in the daytime, but a bit bright after dark. If you find them too bright, you can rotate the bulbs so they don't face directly outwards.

To replace your own vanity mirror bulbs, see YouTube video Volvo vanity mirror disassemble, LED conversion, but be careful to pry up the mirror evenly so you don't crack it like in the video. Best tools to use are plastic spudgers.

My 2008 S60 with stock bulbs on the left, Alla LED bulbs on the right, taken in daylight with my sun shield blocking the windshield. (For the difference in brightness, note the reflections on the flip up panels.)

p.s. No CAN Bus issue.
      Last edited by JNavas; 10-02-2018 at 11:42 PM.
      Hope that helps,
      John

I really like this one J.Thanks,

Did this with mine a while ago, a fun upgrade I think and yes, removing the cover is a PITA, but I managed to do it without and issues. Used some cheap eBay LED bulbs, Allas are high quality though, so you won't be disappointed. ALL of my interior lights are LED except for the two map lights in the front. The 2 front and two rear main interior lights are super bright though! I used Yorkim LED bulbs for all of those.

Only took 15 minutes to try and find this thread again!

Question: Is the rear fog light bulb attached to the CANBUS network? (trying to get Håkan ready for winter, he's already got his Nokian WR G4s on)
      2002 V70 2.4 N/A. 261k miles. Totaled for the second time November 16, 2016, RIP. - "Elin"
      2004 S60 2.5T AWD (crossword hints for the bold) - "Håkan"

Quote Originally Posted by metalbender View Post
      Only took 15 minutes to try and find this thread again!

Question: Is the rear fog light bulb attached to the CANBUS network? (trying to get Håkan ready for winter, he's already got his Nokian WR G4s on)
      No, I do not believe so. Only the parking lights, brake and turn blinkers. Also of course the headlights. Fog, high beam, reverse and rear for are not. Also the small rear side light is not either.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements