Removing Polestar Tune from T6
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Removing Polestar Tune from T6

I am wondering if I am the only person to consider removing a polestar tune? I would probably get better fuel economy since I have to try very hard to get 19mpg in suburban driving as it is. I am curious if you all know if Volvo would do this for me, and more importantly, if they could load the tune back on for labor rate only when I sell the car? Do I technically own a license for the polestar tune now? Can I take it off or put it back on at my discretion?
      2017 S90 T5 Momentum - Magic Blue over Amber (Wife's)
      2015 V60 T6 R-Design Polestar - Savile Grey Metallic over Nubuck (Mine)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by event View Post
      I am wondering if I am the only person to consider removing a polestar tune? I would probably get better fuel economy since I have to try very hard to get 19mpg in suburban driving as it is. I am curious if you all know if Volvo would do this for me, and more importantly, if they could load the tune back on for labor rate only when I sell the car? Do I technically own a license for the polestar tune now? Can I take it off or put it back on at my discretion?
      Want to trade? I have a T5 that gets great mileage with a brand new engine!
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Want to trade? I have a T5 that gets great mileage with a brand new engine!
      Maybe if there's a briefcase full of cash in the trunk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I think it is wishful thinking to assume that going back to the original tune will improve your fuel economy.

Unless you spend a lot of time at full throttle, that is.

According to EPA numbers there is no difference in mileage between the Polestar tune and the regular T6 tune.

The only way to get better mileage would be to trade your car for either a 5-cylinder T5 it for one of the newer 4-cylinder cars.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

The tune doesn't degrade MPGs which is one of Polestar's selling points: https://engineered.polestar.com/intl.../optimisation/
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T-5R

I drive a S60 R Design and I’m getting 28.4 mpg on mostly highway driving. I’m happy with that mileage even 22 in heavy traffic is okay. I feel the gearing is what causes a decrease in mileage but that is what makes the car so enjoyable to drive.

While I can turn on eco for better mileage and coasting downhill the trade off is I have to brake more and the car doesn’t accelerate the same. I bought the car because it’s a rocket when I need to step on it and feels nimble for a heavy car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      The tune doesn't degrade MPGs which is one of Polestar's selling points
      Agreed, I have the Polestar tuning on the 2016 4cyl T6 and found that if anything my fuel economy improved after I got the polestar tuning. I had the car for about 6 months before getting the tune and so got used to the throttle inputs required to achieve the acceleration I was expecting, with the Polestar tuning the engine develops more torque so instinctively now I feel like I use less throttle input to achieve the same acceleration.

I've also found Eco+ mode quite valuable in improving fuel consumption, my butt dyno suggests that the original 3 modes of Eco+/Standard/Sport were bumped up a level with Polestar tuning so now Eco+ feels like Standard, Standard feels like Sport and Sport feels like... Sport+ ...? I find myself using Eco+ mode more often now as it feels as responsive as the car was before in Standard mode and I would estimate I get about an extra 1-2mpg using it.

Obviously YMMV, but based on my experience be careful what you wish for, you might find you actually get worse economy without Polestar.
      2016 V60 T6 AWD R-Design POLESTAR

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPat View Post
      Agreed, I have the Polestar tuning on the 2016 4cyl T6 and found that if anything my fuel economy improved after I got the polestar tuning. I had the car for about 6 months before getting the tune and so got used to the throttle inputs required to achieve the acceleration I was expecting, with the Polestar tuning the engine develops more torque so instinctively now I feel like I use less throttle input to achieve the same acceleration.

I've also found Eco+ mode quite valuable in improving fuel consumption, my butt dyno suggests that the original 3 modes of Eco+/Standard/Sport were bumped up a level with Polestar tuning so now Eco+ feels like Standard, Standard feels like Sport and Sport feels like... Sport+ ...? I find myself using Eco+ mode more often now as it feels as responsive as the car was before in Standard mode and I would estimate I get about an extra 1-2mpg using it.

Obviously YMMV, but based on my experience be careful what you wish for, you might find you actually get worse economy without Polestar.
      Are saying the ECO mode changes the vehicle performance? Pretty sure the three dash themes are simply visual themes and have nothing to do with how the car performs. Maybe I'm wrong? I only use the Sport theme...
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T-5R

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      Are saying the ECO mode changes the vehicle performance? Pretty sure the three dash themes are simply visual themes and have nothing to do with how the car performs. Maybe I'm wrong? I only use the Sport theme...
      Drive-E motors has an ECO button that they can activate to improve fuel efficiency.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

Quote Originally Posted by PureDrive07 View Post
      Drive-E motors has an ECO button that they can activate to improve fuel efficiency.
      Ah, I didn't realize that was Drive-E only... I assume that means OP's I6 won't have it? I don't think it changes the situation though.

I think the removal of Polestar is still likely to reduce fuel consumption given the same driving style, if OP is used to having P* tuning performance they're likely to be more lead-footed once its removed to get the same engine response.
      2016 V60 T6 AWD R-Design POLESTAR

Seems like a step in the wrong direction, although it would save money if you were able to use 87 octane fuel instead of premium. But still, what a downgrade in driving enjoyment.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      Seems like a step in the wrong direction, although it would save money if you were able to use 87 octane fuel instead of premium. But still, what a downgrade in driving enjoyment.
      Even with the Polestar tune it is still safe to run 87 octane (US rating system, equivalent to Euro 90 octane) in an I6 car. Doing so will reduce power, but it will be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      Even with the Polestar tune it is still safe to run 87 octane (US rating system, equivalent to Euro 90 octane) in an I6 car. Doing so will reduce power, but it will be safe.
      Source? I know knock protection is pretty good these days... but I wasn't sure. The Volvo website says 91 minimum for all T6 cars.

Source? I know knock protection is pretty good these days... but I wasn't sure. The Volvo website says 91 minimum for all T6 cars.
      Source is the owners manual for my 2012 S60 T6 R-Design with the Polestar tune and the Polestar sticker on my fuel door which merely "recommends" but does not "require" premium.

Note that I am talking about the INLINE SIX CYLINDER cars and NOT the new twincharged 4-cylinder "T6" cars. The I6 cars can all safely run 87 octane. The I4 T6 cars cannot, but that is why I specified the I6 cars in my post.

Source is the owners manual for my 2012 S60 T6 R-Design with the Polestar tune and the Polestar sticker on my fuel door which merely "recommends" but does not "require" premium.

Note that I am talking about the INLINE SIX CYLINDER cars and NOT the new twincharged 4-cylinder "T6" cars. The I6 cars can all safely run 87 octane. The I4 T6 cars cannot, but that is why I specified the I6 cars in my post.
      Well, my owners manual does say:
      Vehicles equipped with the high performance 4-cylinder engines (B4204T9 and
      B4204T10) require premium fuel.

My car definitely has 6 cylinders. The text on the sticker on the inside of fuel door has disappeared. Maybe I'll try running some 87 top tier gas through and see how it does.

The manual states 87 minimum for all T5s and T6s (non turbo/supercharged I4s).

EDIT: I see this was already answered.
      Last edited by p.rico; 08-08-2019 at 06:19 PM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Well, my owners manual does say:
      Vehicles equipped with the high performance 4-cylinder engines (B4204T9 and
      B4204T10) require premium fuel.

My car definitely has 6 cylinders. The text on the sticker on the inside of fuel door has disappeared. Maybe I'll try running some 87 top tier gas through and see how it does.
      The fuel door sticker was part of the Polestar tuning, but may not have always been applied if the tune was dealer added as opposed to factory applied as with the US market R-Design cars.

Yeah, using 87 octane on a P* tuned I6 just means you will be down 30-40 hp, which should be almost undetectable in a daily commute.

Am more interested in whether there is a significant change in fuel consumption. I know putting 94 octane in my ‘16 V60RD (3.0 T6) is a bit of a vanity thing, but like to think I offset the ridiculous Canadian ‘premium’ (+$0.25/litre) is a little more justifiable if I also get better mileage.

KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

The fuel door sticker was part of the Polestar tuning, but may not have always been applied if the tune was dealer added as opposed to factory applied as with the US market R-Design cars.
      The sticker was there... but the text faded away! so now it's just a plain white sticker.

You know, in theory, you paid for it so you should be able to sell it / transfer it. Might want to check any docs you got when you had the tune done, if you can even find them. But in all likelihood you'd have to get a lawyer to make this happen.

Was just thinking because ... I'd buy it off you for a reasonable price TBH.
      Caspian Blue Metallic 2011 S60 T6 AWD

I think this is the wrong way to try to save money. Reducing the performance of the car and your driving enjoyment for what is likely to be a negligible change in fuel economy. Will you be wasting the $1,000+ you spent on the tune in order to save like $50-100 a year? Is it worth it?
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

I suggest doing some research on how to improve mileage without making changes to your car. Things like the speed you drive, how you coast, how you accelerate, tire pressure, etc., can have a big effect. It's a pretty deep subject, actually. Google "hypermiling".

And finally, if you are in an urban or suburban environment and like your A/C, consider lowering your expectations.

https://www.wikihow.com/Hypermile

When it comes to mpg, remember... Brakes are like lawyers. You pay every time you use them. Adjust your behavior to avoid them.
      Last edited by Dyno; 08-10-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Never had anyone want to remove it, but I'm sure it can be done. At one point, Volvo was promoting it with a money back guarantee. The buyer had some amount of days to try it and if they didn't like it and returned within those days we would remove it.

You can't add it back again without paying for it. And you can't transfer it to another car obviously.

Use eco mode. It will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
      Use eco mode. It will make a difference.
      The inline six cars do not have an eco mode. OP has an inline six model.

My guess is you will pay an hour of labor to remove.

I have it and it did not impact fuel economy.

Things that impacted my fuel economy are different tires and switching to a Penzoil Platinum oil. Combined I saw an appreciable mpg increase.

19 MPG is awesome on a 6 cylinder turbo. We get 16-17 on our 3.2l non turbo. I think we got like 25-26 on 70 mph long trips. Keep P*.
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed! Has anyone else noticed gear whir in 3rd and 4th? Or a "clunk" from the SPEC SMF and R clutch at startup?
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 80k.

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements