And Now The Shifter Is Broken! Stuck in Manual Mode - Near Impossible To Go Back to PRNDL
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

And Now The Shifter Is Floppy! Only Stays In Geartronic Mode - Near Impossible To Get Into PRNDL

Honestly guys, lately I'm beginning to feel that tense, slight anxiety filled twinge every time I start my XC90. The brief, "Oh lord, what next. When's the big one coming?" thought that ruminates a bit in your head as you're driving when you have a vehicle has developed a consecutive series of unrelated issues in short order.

My first 6 months were relatively drama free.

Now, in the last 4 months:
      - PCV valve failure.
      - Radio head unit dies (I lose my rear back-up audible beeps and navigation along with).
      - Left turn signal randomly starts flashing at triple speed & bulb failure message appears.
      - Stop lamp failure message randomly appears.
      - Throttle sometimes touchy and very slightly surgey acceleration from a cold start.

and now today, as I'm returning from the VA Center, the shifter slams over into Manual mode and refuses to allow me to throw it back into the PRND pathway. After two minutes of struggling and cursing, I'm able to muscle it over (I'm sure that did more damage) and with a more than necessary amount of effort, push it back through the steps into Park so I can turn the truck off.

All signs on this forum point to a shifter claw. Has anyone else had this occur but it was not the claw? I'm going to order the part tonight on faith that this is what it is, but want to know if there are any other possible causes.
      Last edited by ShadowDancer; 08-08-2019 at 03:28 PM.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

According to FCP's site filter, this is the correct kit for our XC90s:
      https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-volvo-8675629

Anyone ever do this before? Tips and tricks? How many labor hours should I expect?
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

You participated in a related post on 07-15-2018 https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7072093 , is this a different problem ?
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The bulb failure warnings are simply bulb failure or contact issues on the bulbs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      You participated in a related post on 07-15-2018 https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7072093 , is this a different problem ?
      Yes.
      Sorry, my point was at the moment I suspect it is the claw. I won’t have time to disassemble the console and shifter to confirm until this weekend. When out of the PRND gate and not quite in the +/- gate, the amount of play in the shifter is disconcerting. Almost as if I have a manual with the stick in neutral.

So, in my ramble vent I was trying to confirm if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, was it something other than the claw?

Fun times though. I took it for a quick test drive about a half hour ago to see how I would be able to fare tomorrow, and my shifting is buggered up in my new default manual mode. Sometimes it will respond to upshift inputs and change the gear and at times it won’t.

Attempting to summon a gear after 3rd, and 90% of the time it’ll do nothing. A few times I manually rowed down to a stop, put it in 1st, attempted to pull off, felt the engine lugging only to see geartronic was back in 3rd.

After about 15 minutes of experimenting (and cursing), the temporary driveability solution is to push and hold the lever in D, accelerate to a steady speed above 40, and then I can let go and let it flop back to manual.
      I’m usually in 5th by then and I presume the computer knows to override any command to snatch 3rd or lower.

Right now I would seriously like to find the engineer who designed this and thought that in the event of claw failure, the tension direction should push the gear lever out drive

Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
      The bulb failure warnings are simply bulb failure or contact issues on the bulbs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I’ll have to check the contacts then. The bulbs are only about two years old.

Haven't had to do this yet, but found this thread on another forum. https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...y-drive-65100/

Then there is this video showing how to remove the cover so the entire center console doesn't have to be removed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtAE3J34-Eg

Ironically, someone posted on the thread how they zip tied the shifter for a temporary fix so it stays in D while driving, but cannot go into manual. That might help you if you open it up and find the claw is broken and you have to wait on parts.

Probably one of those fixes where the first time you do it, it takes 2 hours. The second time it takes 30 minutes.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 143k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

Does the fingertip release in the shift knob feel normal, as in depress with a little resistance of a spring? If the release inside the shift knob is broken, it can't lift the lock-in/lock-out rod and you're stuck in whichever containment area of the lock-out gate you were in.
      Mine broke when I shifted into reverse to leave a parking spot. I finagled it into Drive and got it home. During surgery, I found that the release inside the shift knob was broken and promptly went to the knacker's yard and harvested some shift knobs and the release trigger inside, expecting that it wasn't an isolated incident
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      Does the fingertip release in the shift knob feel normal, as in depress with a little resistance of a spring? If the release inside the shift knob is broken, it can't lift the lock-in/lock-out rod and you're stuck in whichever containment area of the lock-out gate you were in.
      Mine broke when I shifted into reverse to leave a parking spot. I finagled it into Drive and got it home. During surgery, I found that the release inside the shift knob was broken and promptly went to the knacker's yard and harvested some shift knobs and the release trigger inside, expecting that it wasn't an isolated incident
      Luckily, yes. The trigger is fine and has what I would deem as adequate resistance and return when released.

I've done this. Yes it was the claw and I experienced the same symptoms you have. Not particularly difficult iirc. As ChitownV says, do it the first time slow and careful and it will take you much less time the second. Or if you can, go to a junkyard and practice before you take yours apart. Might want to grab some spare bits in case you break something else.
      1985 240 Turbo 330K | 1995 Yellow T5-R 238K | 1996 850 Turbo 250K | 2005 S40 2.4i 178K | 2005 XC90 2.5T 240K | 2006 C70 T5 214K | 2007 S40 T5 170K

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements