Winter is getting closer - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 81
    1. #36
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      Earth
      Posts
      158
      Quote Originally Posted by rentalcar View Post
      Same as last year, winter setup: 20" Ixion IV with 255/35 Hakka R2.
      you are lucky, here in third world country (USA) you destroy wheels in the middle Summer after two days of heavy rain that washes patches on the roads.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      309
      Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      "here in third world country (USA)"
      LOL, love the irony!
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    4. #38
      Member rentalcar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Location
      Stockholm, Sweden
      Posts
      1,401
      Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      you are lucky, here in third world country (USA) you destroy wheels in the middle Summer after two days of heavy rain that washes patches on the roads.
      Ha! Well, we do have our fair share of useless roads as well but it's rare to find a big hole that would damage anything. Not taking any chances though so you have to keep your eyes on the road, for sure. Good at swerving!
      Edit: during summer time I'm on 245/35/21 so even less rubber.
      Current:
      Volvo V90 T5 R-design MY18

      Previous:
      Volvo V50 1.8F "R-design" MY08
      VW Golf 3 GT '94

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #39
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      LOL, love the irony!

      We are a country of contrasts.

      We are one of the wealthiest in the world, yet so many go hungry.

      We believe in the individual, screw whats best for society. That's why no money ever gets spent on roads or any other public services.

      That, and despite being in a high income country, housing is so expensive that it eats up any benefit we may have

    7. #40
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      I found few wheels that should fit just need to decide which style and pick 235/50R18 tires.
      there are few rims that are around 22lbs and cost under $200 each
      What wheels are you looking at if I may ask?

      On my previous Volvo's (and Saabs) I have always shopped craigslist for older factory wheels for winters, but this is obviously not going to work on this car with its enormous minimum wheels size of 18". There will be no downsizing for Winter wheels on this car :/

      I have been looking at the 18" offerings on tirerack, I figured I could buy a wheel and tire package there, but man I hate the look of aftermarket rims. Is it even possible to stick Volvo centercaps on any of them? I don't want my nice Volvo to look like some fartcan Honda.

      I have never been interested in 3rd party aftermarket wheels before, so I don't even know where else to look than Tirerack. Anyone have any ideas?

      The idea here is not to get some crazy expensive BBS-like aftermarket bling wheel, just something basic, relatively inexpensive, that won't bend too easily in winter potholes.

      I'd even go with steelies, but it has been suggested to me they are a bit heavy in 18" and really could throw off the dynamics of the car.

      I'd really appreciate some recommendations.

    8. #41
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      Earth
      Posts
      158
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      What wheels are you looking at if I may ask?

      On my previous Volvo's (and Saabs) I have always shopped craigslist for older factory wheels for winters, but this is obviously not going to work on this car with its enormous minimum wheels size of 18". There will be no downsizing for Winter wheels on this car :/

      I have been looking at the 18" offerings on tirerack, I figured I could buy a wheel and tire package there, but man I hate the look of aftermarket rims. Is it even possible to stick Volvo centercaps on any of them? I don't want my nice Volvo to look like some fartcan Honda.

      I have never been interested in 3rd party aftermarket wheels before, so I don't even know where else to look than Tirerack. Anyone have any ideas?

      The idea here is not to get some crazy expensive BBS-like aftermarket bling wheel, just something basic, relatively inexpensive, that won't bend too easily in winter potholes.

      I'd even go with steelies, but it has been suggested to me they are a bit heavy in 18" and really could throw off the dynamics of the car.

      I'd really appreciate some recommendations.
      Tirerack wheel selector is a joke. 20017 to 2020 is is the same car but depending which year is selected website state - NO WHEELS AVAILABLE.
      Personally I dont care about Vovlo center caps. I may try to fit steel 18x7.5 since they are just 125 each.
      Alloys that might fit are flow/rotary forged
      TSW Nurburgring - too expensive for winter set
      Konig Ultraform
      Touren TF03
      Enkei TY5/TS9

    9. #42
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      309
      tires.com has a selection of wheels for the S90s and V90s, that is Discount Tire's official site.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    10. #43
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Long Island NY
      Posts
      370
      Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      Tirerack wheel selector is a joke. 20017 to 2020 is is the same car but depending which year is selected website state - NO WHEELS AVAILABLE.
      Personally I dont care about Vovlo center caps. I may try to fit steel 18x7.5 since they are just 125 each.
      Alloys that might fit are flow/rotary forged
      TSW Nurburgring - too expensive for winter set
      Konig Ultraform
      Touren TF03
      Enkei TY5/TS9
      Tire rack has an error on the page that they failed to fix. They will however help over the phone. I do understand that makes most of us mad as I online shopping is what we got use to.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    11. #44
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      Tirerack wheel selector is a joke. 20017 to 2020 is is the same car but depending which year is selected website state - NO WHEELS AVAILABLE.
      Personally I dont care about Vovlo center caps. I may try to fit steel 18x7.5 since they are just 125 each.
      Alloys that might fit are flow/rotary forged
      TSW Nurburgring - too expensive for winter set
      Konig Ultraform
      Touren TF03
      Enkei TY5/TS9
      I've never had this issue.

      Keep in mind that the 2017 S90 is different from the 2018-2020. Starting in 2018 the U.S. got the longer wheel base Chinese version. The 2017 model was manufactured in Sweden and had the same wheel base as the European model does today. (In Europe the wheelbase never changed)

      All that said, this probably doesn't have an impact on the wheels that will fit 😛


      As far as tirerack goes, it shows me a whole bunch of wheels. I'm not crazy about any of them though.

      If I filter by 18" the results are as follows:

      In the $150-$175 range they have two different Alutec wheels, Ikenu and Grip, both available in silver or grey.

      I don't mind the basic looks of the Alutec Grip but reviews seem to complain that they bend easily. (Not sure if this is because they are putting them on with tiny rubber band tires)

      Next up they have the BBS SX in either black or silver. I don't mind them, but at $288 per wheel I think they are out of my budget for a set of winter beater rims.

      Then there's a set of BBS SR's in Anthracite for $293 and another dual tone machined/Anthracite set of BBS SX's for $333.

      For winter beater wheels I'm really looking to stay in that $150 to $175 range. Heck If take cheap clearance wheels too. Winter roads are going to beat them to **** anyway, so I don't want anything pricy or "nice".


      I'm also kind of annoyed that tirerack doesn't let me customize the tire size in wheel and tire packages. Ideally I would go with a slightly narrower tire for winters.

      I'd probably have to contact customer service for that.

    12. #45
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      tires.com has a selection of wheels for the S90s and V90s, that is Discount Tire's official site.
      Hmm. Too bad, there don't appear to be any of them in New England.

    13. #46
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      6,024
      ebay is your friend - plenty of cheap wheels on there:

      https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...18&_dcat=43953
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

      Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

    14. #47
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      We are a country of contrasts.

      We are one of the wealthiest in the world, yet so many go hungry.

      We believe in the individual, screw whats best for society. That's why no money ever gets spent on roads or any other public services.

      That, and despite being in a high income country, housing is so expensive that it eats up any benefit we may have
      thank you for this. and #blessed for not having "winter" in LA.

    15. #48
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      ebay is your friend - plenty of cheap wheels on there:

      https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...18&_dcat=43953

      You know, I didn't even consider looking there, as I assumed wheels would be to bulky to ship economically. I guess I was wrong.

      There are a few good options on there, but most of them seem to leave it up to you to figure out if you need any rings or different lug nuts.

      I don't know enough about hub sizes and offsets to know what I need.

      Ugh...

      I just remembered that I'll need TPMS sensors too. I hate modern cars...


      Maybe I'll just drive on all seasons. I hate all this bother and expense...

    16. #49
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      12,156
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      You know, I didn't even consider looking there, as I assumed wheels would be to bulky to ship economically. I guess I was wrong.

      There are a few good options on there, but most of them seem to leave it up to you to figure out if you need any rings or different lug nuts.

      I don't know enough about hub sizes and offsets to know what I need.

      Ugh...

      I just remembered that I'll need TPMS sensors too. I hate modern cars...


      Maybe I'll just drive on all seasons. I hate all this bother and expense...
      It would only take a few minutes to research the specs of the wheels that you currently have to give a sense as to what would fit.

      If you are interested in OEM options I see new car take-offs advertised on facebook marketplace from time to time as well. I also tend to prefer OEM wheels.

      Good thing is that newer cars don't appear to need TPMS sensors - not sure about the SPA S90 but our '15.5 XC60 no longer requires them.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    17. #50
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Good thing is that newer cars don't appear to need TPMS sensors - not sure about the SPA S90 but our '15.5 XC60 no longer requires them.

      What? How does that work?

      I thought all cars after 2007 were legally required to be sold with TPMS?

      Can anyone confirm?
      Last edited by mattlach; 09-19-2019 at 06:24 PM.

    18. #51
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      What? How does that work?

      I thought all cars after 2007 were legally required to be sold with TPMS?

      Can anyone confirm?
      So, I'll answer my own question.

      Apparently our cars are equipped with a new type of TPMS system called iTMPS or Indirect TPMS (as opposed to the traditional dTPMS or Direct TPMS systems that require in-wheel sensors)

      Wikipedia describes it as follows:
      Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
      Indirect TPMS do not use physical pressure sensors but measure air pressures by monitoring individual wheel rotational speeds and other signals available outside of the tire itself. First generation iTPMS systems are based on the principle that under-inflated tires have a slightly smaller diameter (and hence higher angular velocity) than a correctly inflated one. These differences are measurable through the wheel speed sensors of ABS/ESC systems. Second generation iTPMS can also detect simultaneous under-inflation in up to all four tires using spectrum analysis of individual wheels, which can be realized in software using advanced signal processing techniques.

      iTPMS cannot measure or display absolute pressure values; they are relative by nature and have to be reset by the driver once the tires are checked and all pressures adjusted correctly. The reset is normally done either by a physical button or in a menu of the on-board computer. iTPMS are, compared to dTPMS, more sensitive to the influences of different tires and external influences like road surfaces and driving speed or style. The reset procedure[4], followed by an automatic learning phase of typically 20 to 60 minutes of driving under which the iTPMS learns and stores the reference parameters before it becomes fully active, cancels out many, but not all of these. As iTPMS do not involve any additional hardware, spare parts, electronic or toxic waste as well as service whatsoever (beyond the regular reset), they are regarded as easy to handle and very customer friendly.[5]

      Since factory installation of TPMS became mandatory in November 2014 for all new passenger vehicles in the EU, various iTPMS have been type-approved according to UN Regulation R64. Examples for this are most of the VW group models, but also numerous Honda, Volvo, Opel, Ford, Mazda, PSA, FIAT and Renault models. iTPMS are quickly gaining market shares in the EU and are expected to become the dominating TPMS technology in the near future.

      iTPMS are regarded as inaccurate by some due to their nature, but given that simple ambient temperature variations can lead to pressure variations of the same magnitude as the legal detection thresholds, many vehicle manufacturers and customers value the ease of use and tire/wheel change higher than the theoretical accuracy of dTPMS.
      You learn something ever day!

    19. #52
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Looking at Wheel-size.com it looks like the stock wheels on our S90's range from an offset of 42 to 47.5.

      Is it safe to assume anything in that range will worm as long as it is at least 18x8 and 63.4mm bore?

      Can I deviate even further outside that offset range?

      Is it safe to assume that if the wheels have lower offsets than the car is compatible with, I can just add spacers, but if the offsets are higher, I'd have to machine away material?

      (I have no idea how offsets work, have I understood it right?)
      Last edited by mattlach; 09-19-2019 at 06:59 PM.

    20. #53
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      12,156
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Looking at Wheel-size.com it looks like the stock wheels on our S90's range from an offset of 42 to 47.5.

      Is it safe to assume anything in that range will worm as long as it is at least 18x8 and 63.4mm bore?

      Can I deviate even further outside that offset range?

      Is it safe to assume that if the wheels have lower offsets than the car is compatible with, I can just add spacers, but if the offsets are higher, I'd have to machine away material?

      (I have no idea how offsets work, have I understood it right?)
      Bolt pattern too.

      Higher offset wheels will have the wheel closer to the inside of the wheel well while a lower offset pushes the wheel further out toward the fender.

      Another issue is clearance around the brakes but that's more a concern in cars with big brake kits. I would imagine you'd be okay with an S90.

      I wouldn't really worry about center bore because centering rings can take care of that if you get wheels that are like 65mm.

      There are a few websites out there that can help with wheel fitment.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    21. #54
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      Earth
      Posts
      158
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Bolt pattern too.

      Higher offset wheels will have the wheel closer to the inside of the wheel well while a lower offset pushes the wheel further out toward the fender.

      Another issue is clearance around the brakes but that's more a concern in cars with big brake kits. I would imagine you'd be okay with an S90.

      I wouldn't really worry about center bore because centering rings can take care of that if you get wheels that are like 65mm.

      There are a few websites out there that can help with wheel fitment.
      one important thing regarding offset.. it affects scrub radius
      https://www.racingaspirations.com/scrub-radius/


      https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=50mm&sr=0mm
      Last edited by BusteRT6; 09-20-2019 at 07:29 AM.

    22. #55
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Is it safe to assume that if the wheels have lower offsets than the car is compatible with, I can just add spacers, but if the offsets are higher, I'd have to machine away material?

      (I have no idea how offsets work, have I understood it right?)
      Higher offset wheels will have the wheel closer to the inside of the wheel well while a lower offset pushes the wheel further out toward the fender.
      Ahh, so it is the opposite of what I thought above.

      Going through all the factory Volvo wheels it seems like on the same car, the offset seems to go up as the wheel diameter goes up. Is this something to consider, or is it just because läger diameter wheels tend to be wider?

    23. #56
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      Earth
      Posts
      158
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Ahh, so it is the opposite of what I thought above.

      Going through all the factory Volvo wheels it seems like on the same car, the offset seems to go up as the wheel diameter goes up. Is this something to consider, or is it just because läger diameter wheels tend to be wider?
      that has nothing to with diameter but the width of the rim.
      Volvo S/V90 rims
      21x8.5 ET44.5
      20x8.5 ET47.5
      19x8.5 ET 47
      18x8 ET42

    24. #57
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      I may have found a decent set of 18" wheels off of a C30 for a reasonable price.

      The Offset is a little high (52.5) but I could always use a wheel spacer (This will mean I'll need longer bolts though, right?)

      Only thing I am worried about is that they are 7.5" wide instead of the 8" wide of the stock wheels.

      If I run these with a 10mm spacer to get the offset down to 42.5, which is very close to the 42 of the stock wheels, will it be a problem if they are only 7.5" wide?

      I was considering getting narrower tires for the winter anyway, so from that perspective it may actually be a positive, these 7.5" wheels would allow me to fit narrower 215/55R18's.

      I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

    25. #58
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Location
      Maine, Costa Rica
      Posts
      41
      245/45/18 Hakka R3 on a Motegi 18x8.5 ET40. I live in Maine, where you are a fool not to have a dedicated winter setup. It allows you the ability to also run a summer only tire setup on your other wheels. Mine is 275/40/18 Indy 500 on TSW Chronos 18x8.5 ET40, looks and works great! The Chronos is a 10 spoke and it looks very similar to the 10 spoke 20" the car was delivered with, but rides SO much better.

    26. #59
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2020
      Posts
      17
      Volvo website seems to suggest 17 inch would fit for s90 as long as it's not a T8

      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...0AWD/Automatic

      225/55 R17 97V SL VOL

      225/55 R17 101V XL VOL


      Anyone tried this, does this clear the brakes? For 2017 S90 T6 inscription with factory 20 wheels
      Last edited by onion; 08-12-2020 at 07:21 PM.

    27. #60
      Junior Member djugurba's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Hudson, MA
      Posts
      5
      I've also been looking for a second set of wheels for dedicated snows for our new (to us) V90CC.

      But I'm considering running a set of Nokian WRG3 or WRG4 instead. I put a set of the WRG3 on my former '15.5 XC60 because I didn't want to buy a second set of wheels for a vehicle I didn't plan to keep and was very impressed. We live on a lake - have gravel drive that can become a glacier for a month or more at a time - and had zero issues (once we gingerly traversed the ice slick and made it in to the car). Very good wet, dry, deep fresh snow, ice. Obviously they're not studded Hakkas or NordFrosts, etc., AND, they're not summer slicks either, but they behave well on summer roads. They were great for Winter and Construction, the two seasons we get these days. YMMV.

      Worst case, I might put these on for the winter (dumping stock suckorpions) and look for a nice set of takeoff wheels and better Michelins or something else to run in the summer.

      https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/by...s/?s=235-50-19
      Currently:
      2017 V90CC T6 Inscription Maple Brown/Blonde
      2015 XC70 T6 P* Optimized Bright Silver Metallic/Off Black

      Former:
      1967.5 122s (130); 1978 245; 1987 245; 1988 245; 2010 XC70; 2015.5 XC60

    28. #61
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2020
      Posts
      12
      I used to run studded Hakka 8’scon my previous Audi’s and now I have hakka R3s on m’y V90 CC and they behave well, you can’t go wrong with Nokian IMHO


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    29. #62
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Location
      Maine, Costa Rica
      Posts
      41
      I am using 18x8.5 et40 TSW with 275/40 Indy 500 summer. Hakka R3 245/45 on Motegi same size for winter. Both great setups. I can say that 275/40 is really the size limit for an S90
      Current garage ....2017 S90 Inscription, 2018 Mercedes S63 Renntech tune 673 h.p., 2012 Sprinter van, 2018 VW Golf R APR stage 1. I am a car nut from WAAAAY back! Previously 2014 A8 SWB 4.0, 2013 E550, 2012 S550, 2010 E350 wagon, 2008 Audi S8. 39 Buick, 33 Nash coupe, 66 Comet, 67 Fairlane

    30. #63
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Way South Central PA
      Posts
      134
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      We are a country of contrasts.

      We are one of the wealthiest in the world, yet so many go hungry.

      We believe in the individual, screw whats best for society. That's why no money ever gets spent on roads or any other public services.

      That, and despite being in a high income country, housing is so expensive that it eats up any benefit we may have
      Having lived in Sweden, Norway and England the only thing I disagree with is the cost of housing. If you think it's bad here look up housing prices and the down payments required to get a mortgage in those places. When comparing prices, compare size, one square meter equals ten square feet. Houses and apartments over there not only cost more, but generally are much smaller.

    31. #64
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      25
      2017 S90 T6 inscription
      Booked winter for installation in Nov.
      CONTINENTAL VIKING CONTACT 7 XL
      225/55 R17 101T

      Steel rims(the other driver is not very experienced and rather than hitting curbs with expensive rims I rather it be steel rims)

      It says fitment guaranteed so we will see.
      Last edited by hourglass; 08-23-2020 at 09:22 AM.

    32. #65
      Quote Originally Posted by hourglass View Post
      2017 S90 T6 inscription
      Booked winter for installation in Nov.
      CONTINENTAL VIKING CONTACT 7 XL
      225/55 R17 101T

      Steel rims(the other driver is not very experienced and rather than hitting curbs with expensive rims I rather it be steel rims)

      It says fitment guaranteed so we will see.
      I run steelies only cause I hunted and hunted for 17 x7.5 or 17 x 8 and couldn't locate any in the area. I'd been paying for the winters and summers to get swapped and it was getting expensive. So settled on some steelies. No biggie, they can get beaten up and I don't care.

    33. #66
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      Having lived in Sweden, Norway and England the only thing I disagree with is the cost of housing. If you think it's bad here look up housing prices and the down payments required to get a mortgage in those places. When comparing prices, compare size, one square meter equals ten square feet. Houses and apartments over there not only cost more, but generally are much smaller.
      Things must have changed since I lived in Sweden.

      We had a nice split level, ~200 or so kvm centrally located in Askim, less than 15 minutes by car to downtown Gothenburg, and easily commutable with public transit. (Bus -> Tram). It was within walking distance of the beach too. All this, nice large house, close to beach, very close to downtown, I recall only costing about 1M SEK, back then, which at the time was about $120k, a tiny fraction of what something similar would cost around Boston. A smaller house with double the commute to downtown Boston nowhere near a beach costs about $750k to $850k from what I can tell.

      But then again, that was the 90's. A lot may have changed since then.

      I understand there has been a huge uptick of interest only mortgages in Sweden, making it easier to buy a house, and driving up the purchase prices.

      Interest only mortgages are highly irresponsible if you ask me, but to each their own...
      Last edited by mattlach; 08-30-2020 at 03:23 PM.

    34. #67
      Junior Member 2018V90CC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Midwest
      Posts
      45
      If you are looking for rims - I highly recommend keeping an eye on this seller - bretstreete-1- on Ebay. You can see what they have by going to advanced search to the right of the search bar and then scroll down to where you can search by seller. They are a Volvo dealership in midwest (I believe Kansas).

      I purchased a set of OEM 18" rims identical to the one on my V90 C T5 for about $150 each shipped. (not that much more than a set of steel)

      They are not showing much wheel inventory at the moment, however, set as a saved search and monitor any alerts that you get - my luck into something.

      Rims I got were brand new (customer upgraded to larger) - now I need to decide on what snow tires I will be putting on them and get that all sorted out.

    35. #68
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Way South Central PA
      Posts
      134
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Things must have changed since I lived in Sweden.

      We had a nice split level, ~200 or so kvm centrally located in Askim, less than 15 minutes by car to downtown Gothenburg, and easily commutable with public transit. (Bus -> Tram). It was within walking distance of the beach too. All this, nice large house, close to beach, very close to downtown, I recall only costing about 1M SEK, back then, which at the time was about $120k, a tiny fraction of what something similar would cost around Boston. A smaller house with double the commute to downtown Boston nowhere near a beach costs about $750k to $850k from what I can tell.

      But then again, that was the 90's. A lot may have changed since then.

      I understand there has been a huge uptick of interest only mortgages in Sweden, making it easier to buy a house, and driving up the purchase prices.

      Interest only mortgages are highly irresponsible if you ask me, but to each their own...
      Interest only mortgages? They are crazy. I've always put down 10-20%.

      Things sound like they have changed a lot in Sweden. I lived in Stockholm in the 1970s, in Äppelviken, Bromma, from where I took the trykk to work and was at the Central Station in about 15 minutes. We rented a small villa (detached house) with a yard that would sell for about $3-400K at that time, what a house more than twice the size would cost in the Washington suburbs with a comparable commute. In NYC at that time $3-400K might get you a comparable house, but the commute would be well over an hour by train.

      Also, my neighbors said that banks typically required a 30% or higher down payment when applying for a mortgage.

      When I lived in Norway in the mid-1980s houses were even more expensive compared to the United States, so were condos.

    36. #69
      Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      Interest only mortgages? They are crazy. I've always put down 10-20%.

      Things sound like they have changed a lot in Sweden. I lived in Stockholm in the 1970s, in Äppelviken, Bromma, from where I took the trykk to work and was at the Central Station in about 15 minutes. We rented a small villa (detached house) with a yard that would sell for about $3-400K at that time, what a house more than twice the size would cost in the Washington suburbs with a comparable commute. In NYC at that time $3-400K might get you a comparable house, but the commute would be well over an hour by train.

      Also, my neighbors said that banks typically required a 30% or higher down payment when applying for a mortgage.

      When I lived in Norway in the mid-1980s houses were even more expensive compared to the United States, so were condos.
      Might as well be paying rent.....


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    37. #70
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Way South Central PA
      Posts
      134
      Quote Originally Posted by paradoxicallymodified View Post
      Might as well be paying rent.....


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      It is paying rent, to the bank in the hope that the property will appreciate in value. A few years back a lot of people learned the hard way that that does not always happen.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. getting closer and closer to 75k miles....
      By Deviation01 in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM
    2. My 122s getting closer
      By md122s in forum Amazon P120, P130 & P220 (1956-1970)
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM
    3. Replies: 5
      Last Post: 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
    4. Well, not getting any closer...
      By mike_c70 in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 11-01-2004, 11:51 AM
    5. Replies: 12
      Last Post: 03-24-2004, 08:01 PM