Next generation xc90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Next generation xc90

When is the next gen xc90 realistically due to be released ? Thinking of trading the 17 in for 19 or 20 so just curious .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DiscountEyewear80 View Post
      When is the next gen xc90 realistically due to be released ? Thinking of trading the 17 in for 19 or 20 so just curious .

MY2022 to be sure. MY2021 also possible.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post

So either one year or two years from now. 2 years would be perfect 1 year not so much lol

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Do you think it might be self driving?

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post

Nora in Florida
      Nora did you get an XC90 yet? I know you were shopping/thinking for quite a while.

I hope the "self driving" dystopia never comes true. It just means a computer will be able to crash your car and you'll have no one to sue!
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

DIY Oil Change:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics

DIY Brake Pads:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ment-with-pics

Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      Nora did you get an XC90 yet? I know you were shopping/thinking for quite a while.

I hope the "self driving" dystopia never comes true. It just means a computer will be able to crash your car and you'll have no one to sue!
      Not yet. I think I need a little more time to think about it. I only started the thread in 2008.

I still haven’t found a seat as comfortable as my 1996 850 R. I need to find an XC 90 R to test drive. The only thing the dealer has is an XC 40R. But maybe the seat would be the same.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Nora in Florida
      It may be technically capable for L4 (eg. on self driving on most freeway), but it is another question if they are going to put it on market. There maybe legal and liability stuff to work out.

It may be technically capable for L4 (eg. on self driving on most freeway), but it is another question if they are going to put it on market. There maybe legal and liability stuff to work out.
      Exactly. There are so many issues (infrastructure, technology, and skeptical consumer attitudes also) with autonomous driving that the industry is finally starting to realize how difficult or unlikely it is to happen in the near (3-7 years) term.
      Too bad i wasn't involved with one of the autonomous industry startups as these folks have made millions while funding their "ready-for-mass-production" research projects (at the cost of big automakers, auto suppliers, and venture capitalists) and have showed nothing significant for it - and it will be like this on the tech side for at least 5 more years! (My best guess.) Tesla might be the exception ...
      Last edited by likeXC90; 08-14-2019 at 07:06 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by DiscountEyewear80 View Post
      If the trend of the first two XC90 generations continues, expect the next gen xc90 sometimes in 2030 or so...
      Let's hope I'm wrong

I need to find an XC 90 R to test drive. The only thing the dealer has is an XC 40R. But maybe the seat would be the same.
      I would doubt it as the XC40 is a different platform and much smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeIndy View Post
      I would doubt it as the XC40 is a different platform and much smaller.
      Thanks so much. I really don’t want a car that small.

I’ll contact the dealer again and see if they can get an XC90 R here for me to test drive.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by ig_mb View Post
      If the trend of the first two XC90 generations continues, expect the next gen xc90 sometimes in 2030 or so...
      Let's hope I'm wrong
      Volvo went through tough times and that is why they extended the first gen XC90 for so long, but they cannot do that again if they want to continue with their premium journey. They also have deep pockets now with the amount of sales and their new owners.

Quote Originally Posted by carz View Post
      Volvo went through tough times and that is why they extended the first gen XC90 for so long, but they cannot do that again if they want to continue with their premium journey. They also have deep pockets now with the amount of sales and their new owners.
      That’s good to hear! I’m not sure I’ll even be around in 2030.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Not yet. I think I need a little more time to think about it. I only started the thread in 2008.

I still haven’t found a seat as comfortable as my 1996 850 R. I need to find an XC 90 R to test drive. The only thing the dealer has is an XC 40R. But maybe the seat would be the same.

Nora in Florida
      The 40 seat is different. the 60 is closer. Anyway, for me the "R" trim has the most long range seat comfort of the bunch.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by ig_mb View Post
      Let's hope I'm wrong
      There is no guessing involved.
      It's been made very clear that the next generation will be late 2021 to 2022 when the production is moved to a new platform at Volvos plant in SC, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      The 40 seat is different. the 60 is closer. Anyway, for me the "R" trim has the most long range seat comfort of the bunch.
      I think that is going to be true for me also. I’ve been riding in R type seat since 1996 and I absolutely love it. But I would still feel better if I can find an XC 90 R to test drive to be sure before I drop thousands of dollars. I’ll have to get in touch with my dealer again. I had kind of put things on hold for a while.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by sam818 View Post
      There is no guessing involved.
      It's been made very clear that the next generation will be late 2021 to 2022 when the production is moved to a new platform at Volvos plant in SC, USA.
      Any rumors to what exactly will be changed?

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

I recall it being announced by Volvo to be released in 2021

Any rumors to what exactly will be changed?

Nora in Florida
      There will be a full electric version and level 4 autonomous driving as said before.
      2017/XC90/Osmium Grey T8 Inscription no B&W, no child pakket, no seat pakket and no Air suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Mavi57 View Post
      There will be a full electric version and level 4 autonomous driving as said before.
      Note that the much heralded AUDIT*, I mean Audi MY2019 A8 had Level3 autonomy which was not allowed in the USA due to a plethora of reasons which have not yet been resolved:

https://www.autonews.com/shift/why-l...iled-take-hold .

Any claim of bringing Level4 autonomy to the USA by any carmaker given the fact that lower-demanding Level3 issues have not yet been resolved (and won't be anytime soon) is deceptive marketing "fake news".

If anyone can name a car in the USA with accepted Level3 autonomy or the more stringent Level4 autonomy, please do educate us!

These marketing departments really have to start telling the truth!

(*As in AUDIT my diesel emissions while we corporate executives lie and get rich while you customers and innocent bystanders die. What you goin to do, slap my company with a puny fine?)
      Last edited by likeXC90; 08-15-2019 at 05:12 PM.
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

I read production starts in mid-late 2021 for 22 model year. Which makes sense being they just updated for the 20 model year.

https://www.wired.com/story/embark-s...ck-deliveries/

https://gizmodo.com/ups-has-been-del...-fo-1837272680

Trucks have had more success but the ability is there, it's just a matter of time before it moves into cars
      Last edited by derickma; 08-15-2019 at 05:44 PM.

I wish L4 become available sooner or later. But the big problem is trust. How much you would trust it even Volvo will claim they will be responsible for their cars in L4 mode?

Car makers would love to claim their cars are L4 qualified. But which model is truly L4 and safe to let it run on its own? Who else would give them a certificate or some kind of proof-test? We shouldn't let car makers use buyers as their beta test group.

And will police officer not pull you off when you have no hands on steering wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliXC90 View Post
      I read production starts in mid-late 2021 for 22 model year. Which makes sense being they just updated for the 20 model year.
      I wish they release the Android UI before that, but my wish is always not true from history.
      So they will probably only release Android UI on SPA2. Android UI is more useful than L4 self-driving and EV in everyday driving for the majority of people.

Quote Originally Posted by derickma View Post
      https://www.wired.com/story/embark-s...ck-deliveries/

https://gizmodo.com/ups-has-been-del...-fo-1837272680

Trucks have had more success but the ability is there, it's just a matter of time before it moves into cars
      The basic tech used on trucks is exactly the same for cars but the main differences are the more stringent shape, aesthetic, and speed requirements and space limitations on cars.
      The referenced articles (thanks!) limit autonomous use to the highway which have much easier and more ideal boundary conditions (no traffic lights, pedestrians, bicyclists, parking cars, darting cars, etc and often well marked lanes, better road conditions, etc) than city and suburban driving. The same limitation could be done for cars too but then what prevents automakers from saying they have Level4 tech but only useful on perfectly straight roads under sunny skies in 75F weather conditions? (ie either you have Level4 without limitations or you don't.)
      Assuming the (truck's) Level4 tech actually works (because right now it still needs human intervention and supervision - which is not the definition of Level4 autonomy) even trucks need to pass (USA) 50 state and federal regulatory, legal and insurance requirements which aren't defined yet and won't be for some time (minimum 5-8 years is my guesstimate).
      I'm fully confident Level4 autonomy will definitely happen but not at the unreasonable and rosy timescale that marketing, PR, startups, and anyone else who has something to sell you says it will be.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 08-16-2019 at 05:15 AM.

So there's a vast difference between L4 autonomy on the freeway and L4 autonomy on the back roads with no markers or any clear road indicators. I also put side streets on the "back roads" category.

We may not see L5 autonomy in the next 20-30 years, truthfully.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      So there's a vast difference between L4 autonomy on the freeway and L4 autonomy on the back roads with no markers or any clear road indicators. I also put side streets on the "back roads" category.

We may not see L5 autonomy in the next 20-30 years, truthfully.
      L4 should handle roads where marker is not clear or existed, as that happens on some segment (construction zone) of freeway.

However back roads, side streets and city streets are more complicated because of traffic lights, pedestrian, cyclists and more difficult situation from ambulance sirens, flag man, random pedestrian and cyclist behavior. L4 on those streets would require driver attention again. So it is classified as L5 to handle a lot more corner cases than L4 on freeway.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 08-16-2019 at 11:03 AM.

I wish they release the Android UI before that, but my wish is always not true from history.
      In the past Volvo indicated Android UI would first be released for CMA and later for SPA. The XC40 still has Sensus. While the Polestar 2 (also CMA) has Androis UI, proberly the full-electric XC40 will get Android UI.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      I like my R Design seats, but....I think my next will be those fabulous Inscription seats with heat/air/...and massage. My wife's XC60 has them and it sure makes long trips nicer.
      Now, if next year's R Design seats have the massage....
      2013 XC60>2015.5 XC60>2018 XC60, 2020 XC60.
      2016 XC90 Inscription>2018 XC90 R-Design Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by jowillie View Post
      I like my R Design seats, but....I think my next will be those fabulous Inscription seats with heat/air/...and massage. My wife's XC60 has them and it sure makes long trips nicer.
      Now, if next year's R Design seats have the massage....
      I think it is offered on R-Design in Europe... just to make us jealous.

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements