Major Snafu- calming advise needed
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Major Snafu- calming advise needed

My OSD experience has been flawless up until today. I dropped off my car, July 1. Erik, my concierge, took an order for mats and cargo hitch. He assured me, the car would be on the boat, 10 July. All was confirmed with Barbara in NJ. I tracked the boat, the Toledo and it arrived in July on the 25th. I was given a name to check delivery, Rhonda, in Alabama. She and I have been communicating weekly. She confirmed my car was still waiting for customs clearance. I called Barbara today and learned, my car is still in Sweden. I am fuming so much, I am shaking. I calmly listened and still can't quite understand what transpired but she explained, the trailer hitch install was the cause of the delay. She explained the car is set to sail on the Themis on the 17th and arrive the 31st. I am beyond upset. Her supervisor is calling me later today. Calming support appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am not good at comforting. just that last summer there were several cases of several weeks shipping delay for OSD car.
      Waiting for some of them to post better sympathy...
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

I'm not sure if this is "calming," but keeping control of your emotions will give you the best possible outcomes. Raging or screaming or something will just make people shutdown and give you the company line. If you talk and relate with the people on the other end, they are more likely to want to help you and go out of their way for you. Good luck!
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks, R-Pow, not a screamer, kept it cool, with Barbara...it's just time but poor communications could have been prevented...

Goosfraba

bahhhaaaaa...Goosfraba

Jessica from Customer Care called, supervisor to Barbara. There have been a few snafus, no explanation but all have been sensitive to my frustration. Their paperwork still shows my car left, July 10 and arrived the 25th July yet my car is sitting in Sweden. Ahhhh...poor Bibi Anderssen is a victim of Mercury Retrograde from back in July.

I'm sorry for you. Your (contained) anger is understandable.

Screws up happen, and apparently, more so in summer. I guess the people at the factory were thinking more about their vacation than their customers.

I hear ya - we received ours 12 weeks and 3 days from dropoff, so early July dropoff then early October delivery. And there were several others in the same (12 week) situation during the 2018 summer OSD. The upside was we got a month payment from Volvo North America. I actually told Barbara she could keep the car several more months if Volvo made more payments!

But seriously, please take it easy on Barbara. I got the impression that Sweden is mostly responsible for the delay (no definitive proof however) and there's only so much a customer rep can do with Sweden. Barbara is our frontline advocate!

Read the thread below for more "testimonials". Hang in there!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t
      Last edited by likeXC90; 08-14-2019 at 05:58 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by caribchakita View Post
      bahhhaaaaa...Goosfraba

Jessica from Customer Care called, supervisor to Barbara. There have been a few snafus, no explanation but all have been sensitive to my frustration. Their paperwork still shows my car left, July 10 and arrived the 25th July yet my car is sitting in Sweden. Ahhhh...poor Bibi Anderssen is a victim of Mercury Retrograde from back in July.
      It's nice that they're sensitive to your frustration....however....something more concrete in the form of compensation should be forthcoming. I believe I read somewhere on this forum that if there is a significant shipping delay (and it sure sounds like yours qualifies), Volvo provides some compensation. I would call back and "calmly" mention the inconvenience this is causing you and suggest that they credit you for the cost of that trailer hitch or provide something else that is agreeable to you. This is a bit more than your average screw up.

Thanks all, I will heed your advice on all fronts. I am respectful always, and cannot blame Barbara but the communication snafu is not acceptable considering OSD is a main feature of their sales program. If things are late or there is a snafu, just tell me. Double check each case to insure all is in order. If I didn't call, what then? There will be some compensation for which I appreciate but it's proper considering I won't have my car as promised. Things happen, that I do understand. Whatever the cause, someone dropped the ball on this one. For that, I am not happy.

Goosfraba

It could be worse. The boat could have sunk with your car on board, and then you’d have to get in line to have it made again.

Sorry to hear this happened again to people this summer. We dropped off our XC40 on July 17, 2018 and it spent 63 hanging around Gothenburg before it was put on a boat. Information and communication was non existent unless I called. I didn’t receive my email from Volvo that my vehicle was on a boat until after I took delivery in October.

We went past the 12 week estimate for delivery so Volvo did send us a check.

My advice to to stay on top of it and don’t expect communication unless you call or email.
      My bride’s - 2019 XC40 (July 2019 OSD), Momentum Mine - 2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition and 1996 VW GTI VR6 (bought new and still love it) Ours - 2008 Jeep GC Limited with a Hemi.

The redelivery of my car has been delayed as well. I was originally told it was departing on July 17, and then I was informed it would be August 17. I don’t suppose there’s anything I can do to assure that it actually gets on the boat this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyboy View Post
      It could be worse. The boat could have sunk with your car on board, and then you’d have to get in line to have it made again.
      ^that is worse scenario.
      So car is safe in Sweden and somehow not on the boat. Stuff happens, Volvo will not fly it to you but you may practice patience ;-)

Best of luck.

Krzyś

Ask for a FREE maintenance contract as a good will to you. Have your dealer Sales Mgr. get involved. I had a different screw up, not OSD, and got 80,000 mile free maintenance contract.

Great idea, Tango. I actually asked for a free car rental until my car arrives in Oct. Summer and fall travel plans seriously impacted by the delay. The blame is on the July 17th summer hiatus and my addition of a cargo hitch. Perplexing in that OSD reception assured me the hitch install was quick and easy and my car would be on the boat, 10th July.

I am still paying insurance and registration on the car I traded June 21st to my dealer. Need to sort that out.

Mine was dropped off July 15 with a hitch to be installed. It has just shown up to be on the Torino arriving in Baltimore on September 5 as originally told. I hope so.

Ours took almost 14 weeks back in 2010. The car was also delivered in Sweden with the wrong wood trim. A very strongly worded letter got me about $2500 in dealer accessories thrown in for free.

Taking delivery in 4 weeks of a 2020xc90, praying for limited delay this time.

Cari
      Sucks that a cargo hitch causing this much trouble. Hopefully your car comes ASAP.

Lil, I doubt it was the trailer hitch...I think some disorganization occurred, in Sweden. I could have had the hitch installed, stateside but was assured 9 days was ample time..awell, nuff said. It's supposedly on The Themis. I am not even tracking it, at this point. Waiting til Oct. with positive hope. Have a lender XC90, 2019 and love it but man, so big.

Carib: Themis is scheduled to be in New York on September 3, so maybe it will be earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by cogtooth View Post
      Carib: Themis is scheduled to be in New York on September 3, so maybe it will be earlier.
      ah,..they told me it's in NJ/NY 31 Aug. Awell...is your car on Themis?

Themis to Southampton, then Torino to Baltimore. Hopefully it did not miss its connection.

Things happen......about the time we expected or XC90 to arrive in the states (I thought I was being very patient), we discovered it was lost. A few days later, it was found in Gothenburg, and due to a clerical error it was never sent! Relax......it will be fine, but definitely ask for some sort of compensation.
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

It's great that you have a loaner, that's huge step from your dealer. Hopefully your modem works when your XC40 gets here, lol.

Lil, whatcha mean, "modem"?

I’m sure the modem is US configured and will work fine. BTW On our second OSD our XC60 showed up with a huge gash on the front bumper. It was fixed and all is good

Remember, you are only dealing with your expectations not being met. A West Coast OSD has a 12 week wait on average every time. It is the hardest part.

Hopefully you get to do another OSD. The second time around is even better. You know the ropes.
      2020 XC40 R Design T5 Polestar, bursting blue, July 2019
      2015 V60 T5, crystal pearl, platinum/tech/BLIS, July 2015
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011
      2004 XC90 2.5T, silver, OSD in Oct 2003

Car,

Neither the in car hotspot nor mobile tethering work in my car I can connect to At&t it my phone but neither reach the internet. So I can't update apps, maps it stream audio directly from car, so looks to be a problem with the modem

Quote Originally Posted by lilgoat View Post
      Car,

Neither the in car hotspot nor mobile tethering work in my car I can connect to At&t it my phone but neither reach the internet. So I can't update apps, maps it stream audio directly from car, so looks to be a problem with the modem
      Did you press the On Call button and register your car with Volvo On Call? That should have been done by the delivery assistant when you picked up your car and before you drove it off the lot in the US. You should try it yourself if it hasn’t been done already. Tell the nice person you just got your car delivered in the US from OSD. They will register it in the system. I suspect your ATT account has not yet been activated for regular use. Your car was built for the US market, so the modem is for the US.
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011

Yeah did this with the dealer in the car at pick up, called them myself the next day also they said everything seemed fine, I haven't tried hitting on call from the car, can't hurt to give it a shot.
      Got an email from At&t asking me how I like the in car hot spot and let me know I can sign up for a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgoat View Post
      Yeah did this with the dealer in the car at pick up, called them myself the next day also they said everything seemed fine, I haven't tried hitting on call from the car, can't hurt to give it a shot.
      Got an email from At&t asking me how I like the in car hot spot and let me know I can sign up for a plan.
      Darn, you are supposed to get 3 months complimentary AT&T cellular from date of US delivery, at the least. The Wi-Fi is separate, and you should be able to connect the car in your garage or wherever there is a Wi-Fi signal that you have access to. The dealer should help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kevinG View Post
      Darn, you are supposed to get 3 months complimentary AT&T cellular from date of US delivery, at the least. The Wi-Fi is separate, and you should be able to connect the car in your garage or wherever there is a Wi-Fi signal that you have access to. The dealer should help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Yup it's going to dealer to figure out Friday

Lil, I doubt it was the trailer hitch...I think some disorganization occurred, in Sweden. I could have had the hitch installed, stateside but was assured 9 days was ample time..awell, nuff said. It's supposedly on The Themis. I am not even tracking it, at this point. Waiting til Oct. with positive hope. Have a lender XC90, 2019 and love it but man, so big.
      Did the hitch get installed at least? If not see if they will pay for the stealth hitch once you get car, or maybe see if they will add Polestar tune.
      The xc40 will feel like a sports car after driving xc90.

My OSD experience has been flawless up until today. I dropped off my car, July 1. Erik, my concierge, took an order for mats and cargo hitch. He assured me, the car would be on the boat, 10 July. All was confirmed with Barbara in NJ. I tracked the boat, the Toledo and it arrived in July on the 25th. I was given a name to check delivery, Rhonda, in Alabama. She and I have been communicating weekly. She confirmed my car was still waiting for customs clearance. I called Barbara today and learned, my car is still in Sweden. I am fuming so much, I am shaking. I calmly listened and still can't quite understand what transpired but she explained, the trailer hitch install was the cause of the delay. She explained the car is set to sail on the Themis on the 17th and arrive the 31st. I am beyond upset. Her supervisor is calling me later today. Calming support appreciated.
      Never done an OSD but I would suggest stay on top of the car's progress. Politely push for updates. Once delivered contact Volvo Execs (you can msg me I can help write a nice letter if you want) and request compensation. Be it X months of payments made on the vehicle, or what have you.

Mean time, you're stateside and the car is in Sweden. So stressing will only making you more angry. FYI: If you know anything about Sweden (or Europe), soon might mean tomorrow, next week, 1 months, 3 months, etc. When we say soon in America, we expect semi immediate results. Not so elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      FYI: If you know anything about Sweden (or Europe), soon might mean tomorrow, next week, 1 months, 3 months, etc.
      What I read about Swedish societal customs is that they pride themselves on punctuality. I guess that doesn't extend to shipping cars.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast