SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Amber Indicators PN

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  nomorevw 
#1 ·
Hi!

Does anybody know the part numbers for the amber read indicators for a V60?

Thanks!

#6 ·
31468192 and 31468193 are the non-US rear lamps. There's also different trunk lid lamps for US/non-US LHD/non-US RHD for what it's worth, but I'm not sure of the differences between them.

#15 ·
While it would seem it make more sense to use the same rear light assembly for all lhd markets, it seems that Volvo, like other manufacturers, have switched from amber turn signals to red because allegedly that is what the American consumer wants. Having lived in Europe, it never made sense to me why North American safety standards did not require rear amber turn signals.

The reason rear lights are different for left hand drive and right hand drive vehicles is the rear fog lamp, especially in countries where only one is permitted. They want to make sure that the light is on the side of the vehicle that would be closest to the driver's side of the vehicle.

#16 ·
Any update to this thread? Can't seem to find part 31468192 online. Any websites selling these amber turn signals yet? When I do OSD can I just go to a Volvo dealer and order them? I doubt the FDC would help since it is not us spec equipment.

This will be my 4th Volvo but never had red turn signals. Must have amber...

#17 ·
You can walk into any dealer while you're there and order whatever part you want. I've ordered and picked up parts at dealers while in Europe and it's no big deal. BUT...keep in mind that most European dealers are smaller affairs than their US counterparts and keep relatively few parts in stock, especially non-service parts like taillights. So if you are really considering buying them while you are there, you should locate a dealer near where you'll be and give them a call so they can try to order the part to have it in stock when you arrive.

#18 ·
Some will not order parts without a VIN for the car that would work in this region. Technically selling parts and have you transport them is illegal, same with modification of cars with parts not fit for the market. Some dot ask some don’t care all about who you run in to and what country. What I would recommend is making friends on this forum with someone locally with a car like yours and using his vin with permission to order parts and have them wait for you.

#19 ·
Some will not order parts without a VIN for the car that would work in this region. Technically selling parts and have you transport them is illegal, same with modification of cars with parts not fit for the market. Some dot ask some don't care all about who you run in to and what country. What I would recommend is making friends on this forum with someone locally with a car like yours and using his vin with permission to order parts and have them wait for you.
Who told you it is illegal for them to sell you parts?!

Yes, sometimes they will ask for a VIN, but come in with one from the lot or grab one off eBay from within Europe.

I've been buying car parts from various European dealers, for various makes, for two decades now and have never been hassled or had an issue purchasing the part I'm after.

#21 ·
Who told you it is illegal for them to sell you parts?!

Yes, sometimes they will ask for a VIN, but come in with one from the lot or grab one off eBay from within Europe.

I've been buying car parts from various European dealers, for various makes, for two decades now and have never been hassled or had an issue purchasing the part I'm after.
I spend 20 years living in EU in different countries. There is a reason why those parts are not equipped on the car in other markets.

And as I stayed some just don't care and want to make the money on pets sales that don't chance the fact that those parts are not designed, labeled, or tested for any other market then then the market they are sold at.

Why do you think they ask you for a vin? This is so when anyone checks they are not liable and exactly what I recommend to the OP.
And i lived there as well.

It's not illegal to purchase parts. It is almost certainly illegal to mess with components tied to emissions and safety. But it is not illegal for a dealer to sell you a component.

They ask for your VIN because A) they want to confirm it's the correct part for your car, because not all parts can be returned/exchanged, and B ) because some manufacturers are trying to control lower stock for spares. Meaning they don't want enthusiasts buying up stock on parts that there's intentionally low inventory on, and then potentially having customers waiting for things to come back in stock to get their car repaired.

But just to be clear, it is not illegal for the OP to walk in to any dealer and purchase a part.

#22 ·
So as for the amber indicators my understanding is the amber turn signals is based on that amber turn signals need to have a certain amount of size require to illuminate on the initial lighting up if not it does not meet dot requirements. So instead of re-engineering there is no requirement for the red so hence red turn signals.

#23 ·
FMVSS turn signal area requirement is the same whether amber or red, it doesn't change with color. But the FMVSS does allows a mfr using red, to use the brake light for rear turn signal. This was very common years ago, all my old American cars flashed the brake light for the turn signal.

The Volvo uses a separate light for the signal, not the brake. It looks like the amber version uses the same layout. Volvo likely could have used the same unit in the US, and even if they had to modify it for other FMVSS requirements like side relfectors, they could have used a common LED unit with amber signals. There is no reason other than "style" for them to use red signals. They are far from the only euro mfr to do this, Audi is all about the USA red, BMW and VW too. Japanese are hit and miss on it.

#24 ·
I found this link because, well I like to find out why so here yah go. https://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/06-003601as.htm
There is an area requirement it you can make sense of the legalese. It might not be the amber, but a total area that is helped out by having all the lenses red. Just like the new Audi's that have all of there amber lighting strips replaced by red strips and the brake lights illuminate too. The mustang sequential lights are all Red and my understanding is each one of the lights meet the minimum lighting area hence how they get away with it.

#25 ·
I see you are of a curious sort too ;-)

My point about the Volvo specifically was that the euro amber lights appear to be of the same design as the US red ones as shown above in this thread, they would both meet the spec I think, but Volvo chose specifically to make a red one for the US, which many euro mfr have done for years, even before the LED and sequential signals trend.

There are all sorts of strange situations with the fancy sequential turn signals. As you mentioned the Mustang passes because the "initial lighting area" meets the spec, i.e. the first signal light is large enough. I was behind an Audi the other day and I think they got to meet spec by having the brake LED blink at the same time the little LED strip starts it's "animation". There are so many things in our car we have no idea are subject to some regulation. Like the window switches can't be able to be actuated by a certain size of steel sphere with a particular force (prevents children mistakenly open/close windows).

#26 ·
My understanding is that the switch from amber to red turn signals was purely for styling. Truth be told, when looking at the back of a British spec XC 60, I would have never known that it had amber turn signals until they were activated. The change for the North American market makes no sense to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.