P3 Android Headunit
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

P3 Android Headunit

I’m starting this thread because I am interested in a better infotainment system for my xc60 and i know some of you are too. I’ve been watching these chinese android headunits progress over the years and I feel its almost to the point where integration to the factory systems are almost seamless. I know from research that the bmw community already has great success in the integration of these units. One company named “Navitech” on alibaba has stood out to me because they recently released an updated revision of their system utilizing the latest PX6 platform. They also integrate with the factory a/c controls, infotainment screen, and sensors.

Now I'm sure you all have a lot of questions about this unit and as do I. I’ve been in touch with Lisa from Navitech to discuss their android headunit and how it integrates with our cars and here is what I've found. I realize there is a language barrier between us, so I am also making a few assumptions based on what I know and some research. I do not currently own one of these units, so I do not have first hand experience. According to lisa, the s/v60 android headunit is the same as the xc60. I have posted some menu screenshots and installation photos down below which are quite helpful when trying to understand how the unit integrates into the factory system. Feel free to chime in. I will update this post as I find new information.

Here is a link to the headunit:
      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...P-RvLNO_6frxxA

Video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-x...ZoEEMbYN8usUJw

The Basics:

They make 3 different units all based off the same PX6 platform. 09-10, 11-14, 15-17. If you have the 5” or 6.2" screen you will still need to keep your original screen tucked away. I am unaware of which markets came with either one of these screens. See photos below to determine what radio you will need.

The Rockship PX6 platform utilizes 2 main cpus: 2 Core cortex A72 2ghz and 4 Core Cortex A53 1.5ghz. There is 2gb of RAM, and 32GB of storage. Additional storage is via USB drives if needed. This platform also runs android 8.1, but I've heard that it will support android 9.0 as well, but it currently is not available for this unit from the manufacturer and no supported. I’m sure you could go ahead and figure out how to do it on your own, but some functionality could be lost with the integration.

Android auto and Apple Carplay are not included, but they can be added in via USB dongle.

Functionality:

The PX6 android system does not replace the factory system in any way. It integrates over existing hardware. For example, all FM radio, cd player, backup camera and parking sensor, and my car setting screens are mirrored onto the Android display when that function is enabled. When you hit the media button, that is when the system switches over to the android display mode. Climate control for sensus systems (11-17 7” screens) gets overlayed onto the android unit when in android mode, but when listening to FM or cd player, a/c will show in the factory screen area. The android unit is plugged into your aux port so all audio still flows through the factory amplifier. This unit does utilize factory menu knob/button and steering wheel controls. The screen is also touch screen.

The system does not use the factory bluetooth system, including the mic. The system has it's own mic next to the screen used for Bluetooth calls. Think of it like having a separate Bluetooth module plugged into the aux port. Based on what Lisa is saying, because of the single audio output of the factory 09-10 system things like android sounds (navigation) and fm radio functions will not have simultaneous audio. But the 11-17 models has dual audio output so that it can have simultaneous audio.

The android system does not have a built in modem. It relies on a wifi. With my experience using IOT devices, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t plug in a usb modem.

I realize that these are the same menus, but the font's are different. I will assume that this is from the first generation model.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation photos:

Harness for 11-14 models. 11-14 also needs this lcd screen adapter

Harness for 15-17 models

Harness for 09-10 modems

Additional photos of other volvo units that they make

Last edited by bhom920; 08-15-2019 at 04:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

updated with photos

Ever seen one for P2s?
      His: 2006 V70R T5 AWD, 6MT, Passion Red/Gobi, Premium Audio/Factory Sub, Nav Instagram
      Hers: 2007 V50 T5 AWD, 6MT, Brilliant Blue/Beige, Premium, Climate, Premium Audio
      3rd: 2011.5 XC60 T6 AWD, Saville Grey Metallic/Soft Beige, Climate, BLIS. New engine @87k
      4th: 2006 XC70 ORE T5 AWD, Ocean Race Blue Metallic/OakArena, Climate
      Prev: 1994 850 TURBO Estate, Ruby Red/Black, T5R ECU
      HS/College - 1986 244 DL, Graphite Metallic/Blue Cloth, AW70
      HS - 1981 245 DL, Tan/Brown Vinyl Interior, M46

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have not, but for a p2 why not just go with a double din?
      2015 XC60 RD | eibach springs | snabb intake | TDI tune | Niche 21x10 wheels

Yeah, of course that's an option, but I have pop-up Nav screen that I never use...would be cool to drop one in there. I know there's ways to wire in a display, but I was looking at these as a nice option.
      His: 2006 V70R T5 AWD, 6MT, Passion Red/Gobi, Premium Audio/Factory Sub, Nav Instagram
      Hers: 2007 V50 T5 AWD, 6MT, Brilliant Blue/Beige, Premium, Climate, Premium Audio
      3rd: 2011.5 XC60 T6 AWD, Saville Grey Metallic/Soft Beige, Climate, BLIS. New engine @87k
      4th: 2006 XC70 ORE T5 AWD, Ocean Race Blue Metallic/OakArena, Climate
      Prev: 1994 850 TURBO Estate, Ruby Red/Black, T5R ECU
      HS/College - 1986 244 DL, Graphite Metallic/Blue Cloth, AW70
      HS - 1981 245 DL, Tan/Brown Vinyl Interior, M46

Quote Originally Posted by bhill View Post
      Yeah, of course that's an option, but I have pop-up Nav screen that I never use...would be cool to drop one in there. I know there's ways to wire in a display, but I was looking at these as a nice option.
      gotcha. i didn't realize that you could get those screens on the p2 s60. I could ask navitech if they are developing anything

Has anyone purchased or installed one of these in the US yet (P3)?

Quote Originally Posted by ttknf View Post
      Has anyone purchased or installed one of these in the US yet (P3)?
      I'm working on it.

So funny I was just looking into this for my 2010 XC60. Definitely interested in your findings!

Unfortunately I still have not heard back from the seller. Still waiting.

FYI, I messaged this seller:
      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3289...71c65f07SLD8yj

They confirmed that a USB Carplay dongle designed for Android head units can be used to enable Apple Carplay on these head units.

Looking myself to replace the infotainment system in my XC60 MY2012, and just wondering if you managed to get hold of a unit and do some testing?
      XC60 2011 (MY2012) AT AWD 2.4D - 2014+ TFT DIM retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by uhdamm View Post
      Looking myself to replace the infotainment system in my XC60 MY2012, and just wondering if you managed to get hold of a unit and do some testing?
      I bough one of those for my V60 before the Christmas holiday. The installation was very easy and everything was pretty much plug and play.

The audio output had to plug in to the AUX-in from the oem head unit so which means you cant have two audio sources coexist at the same time. The oem amplifier uses fiber optic signals coming from the oem head unit and I'm wondering if this can be fixed by using a fiber optic signal decoder box which remux RCA audio input with the fiber optic audio output from the oem head unit to the amplifier. I have seen those decoder boxes made for Mercedes/Porsche/BMW with Harman Kardon system but I'm not sure if it will work with the Harman Kardon system I have.

I got the wireless carplay usb dongle plugged in so my phone will automatically turn on carplay when I'm in the car. It made my V60 more morden. The only cons for me is that the backup camera won't show any thing until the MCU/Android is booted up otherwise it's pretty good.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design Platinum Crystal White Pearl - iPd Rear Sway Bar + Endlinks, Jetex 3" Performance Exhaust, K&N Filter, PSS 245/45/18, Ferrita Downpipe, do88 Intercooler, RICA Stage 2
      2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon World Rally Blue Stage-II (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by f10167 View Post
      I bough one of those for my V60 before the Christmas holiday. The installation was very easy and everything was pretty much plug and play.
      Can you share video of how it works? Would love to see how it works with the OEM features.

Quote Originally Posted by f10167 View Post

The audio output had to plug in to the AUX-in from the oem head unit so which means you cant have two audio sources coexist at the same time. The oem amplifier uses fiber optic signals coming from the oem head unit and I'm wondering if this can be fixed by using a fiber optic signal decoder box which remux RCA audio input with the fiber optic audio output from the oem head unit to the amplifier. I have seen those decoder boxes made for Mercedes/Porsche/BMW with Harman Kardon system but I'm not sure if it will work with the Harman Kardon system I have.

I got the wireless carplay usb dongle plugged in so my phone will automatically turn on carplay when I'm in the car. It made my V60 more morden. The only cons for me is that the backup camera won't show any thing until the MCU/Android is booted up otherwise it's pretty good.
      Thanks a lot for sharing. Much appreciated.
      Hope you don't mind answering a fewquestions

1. About the backup camera. How long does it take to start the android-unit? And is it an aftermarket Camera?
      2. Did you try installing apps from Google-playstore? Reason for asking, is my intention to run run it as an Android Head-Unit: https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...droid-t3432348
      3. Another reason why I'm interested in this unit, is the integration to the factory systems. Is it possible to access all the factory settings in Sensus? Or do you get the default factory menues everywhere except when you select MEDIA (AUX)?

As another user requested, I too would like to see a video of how it works. Navitech's video is very poor and doesn't show much of the menues. If you have the time....

Cheers
      XC60 2011 (MY2012) AT AWD 2.4D - 2014+ TFT DIM retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by uhdamm View Post
      Thanks a lot for sharing. Much appreciated.
      Hope you don't mind answering a fewquestions

1. About the backup camera. How long does it take to start the android-unit? And is it an aftermarket Camera?
      2. Did you try installing apps from Google-playstore? Reason for asking, is my intention to run run it as an Android Head-Unit: https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...droid-t3432348
      3. Another reason why I'm interested in this unit, is the integration to the factory systems. Is it possible to access all the factory settings in Sensus? Or do you get the default factory menues everywhere except when you select MEDIA (AUX)?

As another user requested, I too would like to see a video of how it works. Navitech's video is very poor and doesn't show much of the menues. If you have the time....

Cheers
      It takes about 20~30 sec to fully boot up the system. My car came with the Volvo backup camera. The head unit reads CANBUS signal so the backup camera overlay will show up whenever you put it in reverse gear. It's just that no actual backup video during boot up.

Yes. I have no problem installing app from app store. I was trying some 3rd party car launchers but some of them failed to launch. Nova launcher works and also Chrome and Youtube.

There is a shortcut in the launcher it came with to go back to Sensus. You can also press the radio button on the waterfall console to quickly switch to Sensus. Long pressing the media button will switch back to the android and you can also tap the touch screen in sensus to go back to android.

Hope this helps.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design Platinum Crystal White Pearl - iPd Rear Sway Bar + Endlinks, Jetex 3" Performance Exhaust, K&N Filter, PSS 245/45/18, Ferrita Downpipe, do88 Intercooler, RICA Stage 2
      2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon World Rally Blue Stage-II (Sold)

Thanks for the info!

Seriously considering this. Do you have any photos or videos of how it looks installed / usage?

Quote Originally Posted by ttknf View Post
      Seriously considering this. Do you have any photos or videos of how it looks installed / usage?
      I'd be interested in this as well, I miss having Android Auto, Google Maps etc in the V60. Depending on how the Android unit looks and performs, I might look to pick one up. The output audio I would route direct to my DSP, so (ideally) simply bypassing the factory amp entirely.

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements