SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

P3 Android Headunit

56K views 79 replies 33 participants last post by  Leomessi 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm starting this thread because I am interested in a better infotainment system for my xc60 and i know some of you are too. I've been watching these chinese android headunits progress over the years and I feel its almost to the point where integration to the factory systems are almost seamless. I know from research that the bmw community already has great success in the integration of these units. One company named "Navitech" on alibaba has stood out to me because they recently released an updated revision of their system utilizing the latest PX6 platform. They also integrate with the factory a/c controls, infotainment screen, and sensors.

Now I'm sure you all have a lot of questions about this unit and as do I. I've been in touch with Lisa from Navitech to discuss their android headunit and how it integrates with our cars and here is what I've found. I realize there is a language barrier between us, so I am also making a few assumptions based on what I know and some research. I do not currently own one of these units, so I do not have first hand experience. According to lisa, the s/v60 android headunit is the same as the xc60. I have posted some menu screenshots and installation photos down below which are quite helpful when trying to understand how the unit integrates into the factory system. Feel free to chime in. I will update this post as I find new information.

Here is a link to the headunit:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...YtluJZQIayE1jsdTcIVBlkISAyOsSZQP-RvLNO_6frxxA

Video

The Basics:

They make 3 different units all based off the same PX6 platform. 09-10, 11-14, 15-17. If you have the 5" or 6.2" screen you will still need to keep your original screen tucked away. I am unaware of which markets came with either one of these screens. See photos below to determine what radio you will need.

The Rockship PX6 platform utilizes 2 main cpus: 2 Core cortex A72 2ghz and 4 Core Cortex A53 1.5ghz. There is 2gb of RAM, and 32GB of storage. Additional storage is via USB drives if needed. This platform also runs android 8.1, but I've heard that it will support android 9.0 as well, but it currently is not available for this unit from the manufacturer and no supported. I'm sure you could go ahead and figure out how to do it on your own, but some functionality could be lost with the integration.

Android auto and Apple Carplay are not included, but they can be added in via USB dongle.

Functionality:

The PX6 android system does not replace the factory system in any way. It integrates over existing hardware. For example, all FM radio, cd player, backup camera and parking sensor, and my car setting screens are mirrored onto the Android display when that function is enabled. When you hit the media button, that is when the system switches over to the android display mode. Climate control for sensus systems (11-17 7" screens) gets overlayed onto the android unit when in android mode, but when listening to FM or cd player, a/c will show in the factory screen area. The android unit is plugged into your aux port so all audio still flows through the factory amplifier. This unit does utilize factory menu knob/button and steering wheel controls. The screen is also touch screen.

The system does not use the factory bluetooth system, including the mic. The system has it's own mic next to the screen used for Bluetooth calls. Think of it like having a separate Bluetooth module plugged into the aux port. Based on what Lisa is saying, because of the single audio output of the factory 09-10 system things like android sounds (navigation) and fm radio functions will not have simultaneous audio. But the 11-17 models has dual audio output so that it can have simultaneous audio.

The android system does not have a built in modem. It relies on a wifi. With my experience using IOT devices, I don't see any reason why you couldn't plug in a usb modem.

I realize that these are the same menus, but the font's are different. I will assume that this is from the first generation model.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation photos:

Harness for 11-14 models. 11-14 also needs this lcd screen adapter

Harness for 15-17 models

Harness for 09-10 modems

Additional photos of other volvo units that they make

See less See more
1 19
#3 ·
Ever seen one for P2s?

#5 ·
Yeah, of course that's an option, but I have pop-up Nav screen that I never use...would be cool to drop one in there. I know there's ways to wire in a display, but I was looking at these as a nice option.

#12 ·
Looking myself to replace the infotainment system in my XC60 MY2012, and just wondering if you managed to get hold of a unit and do some testing?

#13 ·
I bough one of those for my V60 before the Christmas holiday. The installation was very easy and everything was pretty much plug and play.

The audio output had to plug in to the AUX-in from the oem head unit so which means you cant have two audio sources coexist at the same time. The oem amplifier uses fiber optic signals coming from the oem head unit and I'm wondering if this can be fixed by using a fiber optic signal decoder box which remux RCA audio input with the fiber optic audio output from the oem head unit to the amplifier. I have seen those decoder boxes made for Mercedes/Porsche/BMW with Harman Kardon system but I'm not sure if it will work with the Harman Kardon system I have.

I got the wireless carplay usb dongle plugged in so my phone will automatically turn on carplay when I'm in the car. It made my V60 more morden. The only cons for me is that the backup camera won't show any thing until the MCU/Android is booted up otherwise it's pretty good.

#18 ·
Seriously considering this. Do you have any photos or videos of how it looks installed / usage?
I'd be interested in this as well, I miss having Android Auto, Google Maps etc in the V60. Depending on how the Android unit looks and performs, I might look to pick one up. The output audio I would route direct to my DSP, so (ideally) simply bypassing the factory amp entirely.

#20 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have a volvo v40 2015 with 7 inch screen. I bought this one.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dYc28y0

Probably it is the same as the one in this topic.

I have installed it and everything seems to work accept the audio. I think it is beacuse my car has no aux. No physical jack and no option in radio in the media section. I have only usb, HDD, ipod, disk and Bluetooth. I already contacted the the seller an I have to wait for engeneer looking a the issue.

Anyone can help?

#22 ·
I see a few users of these android HUs in this thread now, and from different stores: "China Car GPS Store" (Android 9) and "NAVITECH Store" (Android 8) and they look almost the same.

I'm paticularly interested in:
- How the HU incorporates with the factory menues and climate control
- How good the HU works with your phone and Microphone/voice quality
- How stable the unit is. Running hot? Needing a restart once in a while? Slow starter? Huge stand-by power consumption?
- If you added any of the options DAB+, Rearview (wired/wireless) camera?

Any last words to help me decide which one?

Appreciate your help :)

#47 ·
I see a few users of these android HUs in this thread now, and from different stores: "China Car GPS Store" (Android 9) and "NAVITECH Store" (Android 8) and they look almost the same.

I'm paticularly interested in:
  • How the HU incorporates with the factory menues and climate control
  • How good the HU works with your phone and Microphone/voice quality
  • How stable the unit is. Running hot? Needing a restart once in a while? Slow starter? Huge stand-by power consumption?
  • If you added any of the options DAB+, Rearview (wired/wireless) camera?

Any last words to help me decide which one?

Appreciate your help :)
I'm speaking now after messing with my head unit from EKIY store on Aliexpress for 6+ hours so I will likely sound angry.

First, the good stuff.
The UI is great and really responsive and climate control shows up automatically when changed. That's it, that's all of the good stuff.

Now, the bad stuff.
The plastic molding doesn't fit well during installation and you should fully expect to break many plastic tabs. The head unit, when using all the supplied cables and adapters, doesn't ever turn off so the battery will drain. Especially upsetting considering that the main selling point is plug and play. There is no way to access the original car menu AFAIK. If you accidentally switch off of AUX mode and forget where you are in the original menu, which is required to have sound functionality, good luck figuring out how to get back into it. Installation is an absolute nightmare considering there are no instructions at all and, unbeknownst to me, the original screen is supposed to be stuff on top of the glove box which requires removal of it. Lastly, the sellers are typically very, very slow to respond so if you have an issue, be okay with driving around a taken apart car.

A smaller thing but still worth mentioning, the build quality of everything that isn't the screen is absolutely terribly. Plug headers have shrouds that are way too low so crimped ends that are supposed to be isolated can and will touch each other, wires are labelled but half of the labels will be at the bottom of the box and no longer attached, and plug housings will require filing because the molding process has failed.

I would never buy one of these again. I'm going to try my best to get it working but knowing that I have to splice into existing wiring is absolutely unacceptable for something with this level of integration.

You're better of investing in a downpipe and a Hilton tune.

Reactions: Bender
#23 ·
Volvo V40 with original 5 inch sceeen

hi all guys, i was really interested in mounting an android unit on my v40 my 2016 d2 with 5 inch original display, i have contacted a lot of vendors on ali express and other site and they tell me that with a 5 inch original screen it does not work, the unit is

anyone of you can explain me how do i connect the unit? i was reading on this forum that i have to put my old screen somewhere in the car as a bridge i think...
thanks for any help you ll give me

#24 ·
hi all guys, i was really interested in mounting an android unit on my v40 my 2016 d2 with 5 inch original display, i have contacted a lot of vendors on ali express and other site and they tell me that with a 5 inch original screen it does not work, the unit is

anyone of you can explain me how do i connect the unit? i was reading on this forum that i have to put my old screen somewhere in the car as a bridge i think...
thanks for any help you ll give me
Hi, new to the forum. First post.

So I ordered one of these from Seicane. If you go to the website, you can search XC60 and it has a few options. The one I chose has a 9" screen. My Volvo is a 2013 XC60 3.2 with the premium sound. The unit came in about three weeks after ordering and it is very nice, I wired it up before installing (power) and it runs pretty good. The built in Carplay is nice and doesn't require a special app on your phone.
The problem with my order was that they sent me the wrong wiring harness. They sent me a square connector, like the connector on the back of the 15+ stereos. I was frustrated because I sent them a picture of my stereo dash and the correct year and options. I reached out and they responded telling me that they will send a replacement harness. I started recording a box opening and install video, but that will have to wait until I get the correct harness from the company. I will share the video, review, and some pictures once all is done.

#26 ·
so im curious, is there anything for the P3 XC70s? I have a 2012, and it has the screen above the vents with the button layout similar to the S60s layouts (waterfall i think its called?), i keep seeing the kit for the "older" version, im just curious is all. i cant find anything online at all.

#27 · (Edited)
Hi all. Sorry it took so long to reply. I finally got my wiring harness for the stereo and started the install. It’s pretty straight forward, but there are quite a few hurdles to get over. Again, this is for a 2013 XC60 with an amplifier, 7” screen, and no navigation.

1. The harness bridges a few wires, the constant power and ground from the main unit and three wires from the info screen. I got a manual to see what wires these are and they were identified as 2 computer data lines and one steering wheel control. The harness connects to the info display, the main unit (CD player) and the new radio. You have to keep your old display. I placed mine in the glove box.

2. If you have the USB in your center storage, you can connect it to the stereo. My radio came with a connector to plug into the back of the stereo to retain the USB. I didn’t use it since it also came with a USB connector that included a mic port as well. I used that to connect an external mic.

3. Some modifications were needed. The stereo DOES NOT fit perfectly into the stereo slot. The face portion does look great and fit perfectly, but the inner trim pieces will not allow the stereo to go all the way in. I used a cutting tool to trim some plastic away. It doesn’t hurt anything and was easy to do, but not expected. Again, the wires and everything can fit in toward the glove box, but the body of the stereo requires modification to fit perfectly.

4. You cannot use your factory amp. I tried to use the aux port, but it would not work. I had to directly wire the four speaker sets to the speakers using the amp connector. There are more than four speakers, but they are fed by four channels from the amp. I kept the amp plugged in and spliced into the four speaker wire sets. The original 7” display would not work without put it plugged in. Sound is still great if not exactly the same with some tinkering with the new radios eq.

5. The software sucks. I thought I had made a terrible mistake because the unit was freezing all the time. I went to XDA forums and found a stable firmware (HAL4K) and it’s been perfect with no issues. I did lose the navigation App when I updated, but I downloaded it again from the Google play App Store and bought a lifetime subscription for $18 which came with all of NA Maps and traffic. I can use CarPlay, but wanted something for trips when I didn’t want to plug in my phone. I also installed YouTube music and downloaded my library of music. The stereo has about 50Gb of storage available.

The last issue I have is the final one. The harness has another connector on it that looks like it would connect to something, but doesn’t. It was a CANBUS connector. Since these units now have a CANBUS decoder built into them, they don’t provide a box. The problem is that the connector is where the accessory power plugs in. They don’t tell you that and it took about 30 mins to realize that I needed to use that wire to get the stereo to turn on. Also, the three wires from the info unit run to it, and there is nothing to tell you that you must use those wires to get other things working, like your steering wheel controls (SWC). There is only 1 wire for SWC from the car and two for the stereo, Key 1 and Key 2. I plugged into each wire and the stereo would randomly open a program button in the button assignment app on the stereo when I wasn’t pushing a button. This could be due to a few reasons; either I need to solder the connector (other ones are, this wasn’t because I was testing) because it relies on resistance to measure the buttons, or I need to use the CANBUS wires to connect to the CanBus lo high on the stereo. I tried that, but it did not work. You have to choose the CANBUS type that matches your vehicle in the factory menu to use this, but there is no Volvo option. I did see some other options that looked familiar (PSA 26?) but haven’t tried them. Seicane responded to my request for assistance with “Just connect the wires”.

I bought an axxcess box in case I can’t get the canbus to work, but I’ll hopefully have a full video and write up by the end of the week.

#30 ·
Purchased the one from Navitech Store:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32913611175.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1a9a4c4d84FQqJ

So far very happy about it, and mostly running Android Auto from this thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ge...ndroid-4-1-headunit-reloaded-android-t3432348

Also got the aftermarket rear cam, which I'm happy to tell is instant on, and doesn't have to wait for the Headunit booting up.

Headunit installation was straight forward, and only asked the dealer a couple of questions about the cam installation, and soon figured they have no technical skills, but managed myself.

The Headunit fits fine and no cutting needed.
My inst needed the old controller disassembled, replacing the display part with another circuitboard and cables for the Headunit, but still straight forward, if you have some technical skills.
Old controller now mounted on top of the glovecompartment, out of the way.

Sensus works fine too, including the climate-overlay and steeringwheel control.

Reactions: ttknf
#31 ·
Thanks for the replies. I found the issue with mine. My XC60 SWC don’t run on the CANBUS, but LINBUS. I bought an Axxcess ASWC-1 that will auto detect the vehicle, but will not work with my stereo. The frustrating part is that In the ASWC docs it shows Volvo’s with LIN connections and specifies the pins to use from the box, but only shows 1 pin to connect to in the car.I’m going to try to use the CAN signals from the front controls to see if I can get those to work. If not, my only option is aftermarket controls.

#34 ·
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned installing hal9k onto their head unit. Has anyone else had success with this? I can't figure out how to get the head unit into recovery mode and it doesn't just pop up when I plug a usb in like it does with some of the head units on YouTube guides for it.

#35 ·
Hello Everyone,

Anyone here using the android system from Navitech. Are you still able to access the factory settings under "My Car" such as start-stop, tpms, door locks setting, trip computer, etc? I have a Volvo XC60 2014, the only thing that is holding me back from making the move is ??? being unable to access the original system settings. I would really appreciate it, if someone could answer the above for me please.

Thank you

#36 ·
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to find out if you can still have access to the "My Car" settings on the original factory system? Settings such as tpms, trip computer, door locks, adaptive headlights etc? Are these settings still accessible on the Navitech android system? I would really appreciate if someone could update me on this please. That's the only thing holding me back from making the move. Fyi, it's going to be on offer on 11/11 from AliExpress if anyone interested.

Thank you

#37 ·
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to find out if you can still have access to the "My Car" settings on the original factory system? Settings such as tpms, trip computer, door locks, adaptive headlights etc? Are these settings still accessible on the Navitech android system? I would really appreciate if someone could update me on this please. That's the only thing holding me back from making the move. Fyi, it's going to be on offer on 11/11 from AliExpress if anyone interested.

Thank you