The end of my S60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The end of my S60

I bought my 2012 S60 T5 in the Spring of 2011. I always went to the dealership for all services and even changed the oil twice as often as required by Volvo. My car turned out to be one of the oil burners so the dealer, after a year of prodding, did a ring job in 2015 at about 37,500 miles. When the rings were changed all the belts were changed as was the hardware

Fast forward to last week. I started the car in the morning and heard some strange sounds. Looked under the hood and saw nothing out of place. I called my dealer and asked if I could bring it in so one of the techs could look at it. I was told they were totally booked up for a week and a half so I took the first available date. The noise did go away after a few minutes so I drove it.The next day, my car failed on the road and stranded me. It completely died. I had it towed in and the dealer finally looked under the hood yesterday afternoon. I was told that the serpentine belt, with a little over 31,000 miles on it, had shredded and damaged the timing belt which destroyed my engine. $15,000 for a new engine. Being smart I thought, I had purchased the expensive Volvo VIP Warranty in 2016. All good right. No, the warranty company refused to fix anything. A little clause says they do not cover the serpentine belt and therefore any damage the belt causes is not covered. Volvo engines being interference engines are toast if the serpentine belt breaks and breaks the timing belt, something Volvo knows and it seems the Volvo warranty company also knows and no help from my dealer.

So here I am with a car with less than 70,000 that is junk and a $2,200 warranty that is unless. A car turned to junk by a $20.00 belt. Well goodbye to Volvo and good bye to Volvo VIP Warranties. My new Japanese car is waiting for me to pick up on Saturday.
      Last edited by klrobi; 08-15-2019 at 11:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Don't roll over so easily.

I had a similar issue with a Toyota minivan and made it clear that this would be escalated as far as needed. The dealer convinced the warranty company to cover it in full.

Push push push. This is outrageous to not be covered.

Yeah I would push a little harder.

The serpentine belt was not likely the failure. The tensioner was. That should be a covered component. Especially since it is well before its replacement interval.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

So sorry to hear that. This is very unfortunate. I hope you can pin them down on the tensioner being the culprit.
      I have the same car from the same dealer but no extended warranty. The fact that this can happen without warning is alarming. I will make sure to keep my ears open for any unusual noise.
      Good luck and keep us posted.
      What is your new car?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

If you have a 2012 S60, replace the tensioner. I've seen several fail. Sometimes Volvo fixes it goodwill but there's no guarantee.

2019 Mazda3 Premier. My garage size limits my car choice

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Yeah I would push a little harder.

The serpentine belt was not likely the failure. The tensioner was. That should be a covered component. Especially since it is well before its replacement interval.
      While I fight, I have no car. The fight goes one for a month or two, I'm out the money for a rental. I'm retired, I own only one car. I can't afford and don't need this. Even if I win, I'm still dealing with an interference engine and the same dealer.

I understand. Have you reached out to Volvo?

I understand. Have you reached out to Volvo?
      Truthfully, no. It took over a year to get some action on the high oil consumption and the Volvo home office did nothing. Someone else who used the same dealer forced the issue . I found out, through Sweedspeed, and I confronted them. This was a month after they told me that high oil consumption was "normal". I then found the TJ. Maybe I'm just tired of dealing with Volvo. If I had a spare car or two, it would be different. I could sit back and screw with them. I had Japanese cars for 25 years before I bought the Volvo. I made a big mistake changing.

Quote Originally Posted by klrobi View Post
      While I fight, I have no car. The fight goes one for a month or two, I'm out the money for a rental. I'm retired, I own only one car. I can't afford and don't need this. Even if I win, I'm still dealing with an interference engine and the same dealer.
      But if you win, you can sell the car for way more than what it's worth in it's current state! You say you can't afford it, but you can afford to walk away from the car without getting anything for it?
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

klrobi I understand you can't afford the risk of gambling whether they will cover it or not. I'd feel the same way if I were in your shoes.
      But now that you got a new car you actually can afford to sit there and fight it out with them. It will cost you nothing but time.

A Mazda 3 is a great choice but like was suggested I would continue to fight with Volvo over the repair so you can at least recover something from your S60.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Isn’t serp belt replacement interval spec’d as 60k?
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 197k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 291k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 174k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 238k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 212k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post

The belt itself is not the issue. It is the tensioner. It's like a time bomb.
      I also had the piston rings done at around 43K and they did replace the serpentine belt. Now I'm afraid this thing can bust at any moment and am looking to replacing it real soon.
      IIRC, I've read in another post that the tensioner has some plastic pieces that fail. A replacement part should be all metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      The belt itself is not the issue. It is the tensioner. It's like a time bomb.
      I also had the piston rings done at around 43K and they did replace the serpentine belt. Now I'm afraid this thing can bust at any moment and am looking to replacing it real soon.
      IIRC, I've read in another post that the tensioner has some plastic pieces that fail. A replacement part should be all metal.
      For which model years and engines does the tensioner issue apply?
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

I've seen more than a handful and they were all 2012 5 cylinders

klrobi - my car is from the same batch... more in a bit

First thing first - Japanese cars are NOT the same anymore; that's a known fact... actually people may laugh at this but my wife's 2018 Hyundai has amazed me... for like 1/3 of my Volvo's price.

I agree with the rest - fight for a fix from Volvo or the warranty co. I had a 2002 S40 with 105,000mi that I dumped for pennies because the heater core failed and it was going to cost me $1,500 to replace it. My biggest regret when it comes to cars. Just take your time, fight and you never know.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'll be sure to consider the preemptive repairs.
      2012 S60 T5, original purchase date May 2011, chassis number 050616

I've seen more than a handful and they were all 2012 5 cylinders
      I appreciate your warning!

My S60 is probably from the same batch as OP's... now at 82,000 mi. I've had tons of problems with it, including piston ring replacement, but in all honesty, the last 2 years have been smooth. Now, I'm sure I've jinxed it!

My biggest problem was the suspension which I've documented here, and surprisingly not many other Volvos had all the problems I had. Now I'm having problems with the transmission, again, and I'm investigating my options. Any thoughts on that? https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ing-into-Drive

Either way, I'd be taking the car to the dealer for tensioner replacement.
      Last edited by npn; 08-16-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by npn View Post

My S60 is probably from the same batch as OP's... now at 82,000 mi. I've had tons of problems with it, including piston ring replacement, but in all honesty, the last 2 years have been smooth. Now, I'm sure I've jinxed it!

My biggest problem was the suspension which I've documented here, and surprisingly not many other Volvos had all the problems I had. Now I'm having problems with the transmission, again, and I'm investigating my options. Any thoughts on that? https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ing-into-Drive

Exactly. Lifetime warranty on parts installed at Volvo. Doesn’t cover wear items but the tensioner is supposed to last 200k or more.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 197k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 291k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 174k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 238k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 212k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by npn View Post

Exactly. Lifetime warranty on parts installed at Volvo. Doesn’t cover wear items but the tensioner is supposed to last 200k or more.
      200k kms? It's replacement interval is 120k miles

It would be most likely out of pocket for me

I just called my mechanic. He thinks the suppliers has the updated tensioner now. He will look into it for me.
      I will be taking it in next week to get a new belt and tensioner. I don't believe it will be a costly service.

I am taking all of your advice and I'm called Volvo Hqs this afternoon.

I found out today when I emptied my S60 at the dealers that adjusters from the warranty company are coming out to look at the car. That is a result of a short, strange phone call to their customer service. By the way, the service manager showed me what broke. It is a 1 1/2 long sliver of the edge of the serpentine belt. It was no thicker than a shoelace from a pair of dress shoes. I don't think the tech went any further than looking and maybe running codes. The engine was not dismantled.

Well yes, the belt is what caused the damage but what caused the belt to randomly shred? The tensioner. The pulley slants and then the belt slowly walks off. This causes it to ride on the ridge of another component which starts shredding it. That shred wraps around the crankshaft pulley and that's the end of the valves.

Well yes, the belt is what caused the damage but what caused the belt to randomly shred? The tensioner. The pulley slants and then the belt slowly walks off. This causes it to ride on the ridge of another component which starts shredding it. That shred wraps around the crankshaft pulley and that's the end of the valves.
      I'm sure you are right, but I don't think my dealer went any further than eyeballing the engine bay.

I'm sure you are right, but I don't think my dealer went any further than eyeballing the engine bay.
      But, keep this bit of information handy if they try to blame it on the belt! You can (and should) point them toward the tensioner if they try to play hardball. Keep fighting the fight! Good luck!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

It's pretty simple. See the shredded belt, try to start the engine. If it cranks really fast, there's no compression due to bent valves.

It's pretty simple. See the shredded belt, try to start the engine. If it cranks really fast, there's no compression due to bent valves.
      After the car died on me and I pulled off the road, I tried to restart it. It read "Limp Mode" and nothing happened, not even an attempt to turn over. Also, when it died, I looked down at the instrument panel and there was a service transmission message in the middle of the speedometer. All this was told to the service advisor that day.

By the way, I just called Volvo Hqs with my complaint.

For a 2012 S60 T5 that is chain driven (I'm told the engine is made by Ford), what's the worst that could happen if this serpentine belt breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Janico View Post
      For a 2012 S60 T5 that is chain driven (I'm told the engine is made by Ford), what's the worst that could happen if this serpentine belt breaks?
      All US T5 cars are timing belt engines.

Your South African T5 uses a different engine (the Ford Ecoboost 2.0 4 cylinder).
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Thanks Zenmervolt. I believe I got to know more about my engine through you

https://imgur.com/umGhos3

Could that be the serpentine belt you're talking about (picture on link above). It seems easy enough to access and inspect for any wear. Could fracture of this belt happen sudden enough without showing any visible defects before failure?

Sorry to hear about OP's car situation. All the best. Hope all turn out well

Quote Originally Posted by Janico View Post
      Could that be the serpentine belt you're talking about (picture on link above). It seems easy enough to access and inspect for any wear. Could fracture of this belt happen sudden enough without showing any visible defects before failure?
      Please see post #26 by Tech.

Maybe I am missing something, does all timing belt failures mean one has to get a new engine? Yes I understand the bent valves and possibly cracked pistons, but doesn't this mean if valves and pistons are replaced then all is good to go? I would understand a new engine if there is cracked cylinder walls or cracked engine block but is seems those are not in the collision path, can somebody please educate me on this?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast