Windshield replaced by Safelite and now HUD is out of focus
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Posts
      179

      Windshield replaced by Safelite and now HUD is out of focus

      Is there an adjustment that I can make or should I take it back to Safelite or to Volvo dealership?

      I tried the HUD display adjustment and moving the display or changing the brightness had no effect.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      968
      I always insist the dealer host the replacements (via 3rd party or whatever) so they shoulder the responsibility of this.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Irmo, SC USA
      Posts
      438
      I recently had my windshield replaced (comprehensive insurance claim due to a thrown stone). It is necessary to have the dealer recalibrate the relevant systems after a replacement. My insurance carrier reimbursed me for this. Also, make sure that your new windshield has all of the required cutouts for City Safety, rain sensor, etc.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,543
      Did you request Safelite to use OEM windshield? Seems the reflection film for HUD is not there so it is blurry or double reflection.

      If it is OEM windshield for HUD, then let dealer try to recalibrate. Should be covered by insurance.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Posts
      179
      Turns out that they did use a Volvo windshield but one that is not compatible with HUD. They're replacing tomorrow.

    8. #6
      Junior Member sschultze's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Conroe, TX
      Posts
      67
      I had the windshield replaced this week at Volvo dealer. The HUD display is now a double image on the new glass. I attempted the calibration but it is a double image does not change, just rotates. Anyone have this issue after glass replacement and know of a correction I can make to fix this?
      1968 P1800S, 2010 C30, 2014 XC60, 2015 XC70

    9. #7
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,543
      Quote Originally Posted by sschultze View Post
      I had the windshield replaced this week at Volvo dealer. The HUD display is now a double image on the new glass. I attempted the calibration but it is a double image does not change, just rotates. Anyone have this issue after glass replacement and know of a correction I can make to fix this?
      Hold your cell phone facing the HUD area of windshield, if you see same double image in reflection, then the glass doesn't have the polarized film for HUD. They should replace with the right glass.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    10. #8
      Junior Member sschultze's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Conroe, TX
      Posts
      67
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Hold your cell phone facing the HUD area of windshield, if you see same double image in reflection, then the glass doesn't have the polarized film for HUD. They should replace with the right glass.
      Thanks. Tried it and have the same double image. I’ll call Volvo and get it fixed.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1968 P1800S, 2010 C30, 2014 XC60, 2015 XC70

    11. #9
      Junior Member Mr Timewise's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Hawthorn Woods, Illinois USA
      Posts
      232
      Quote Originally Posted by sschultze View Post
      Thanks. Tried it and have the same double image. ...
      Any chance you can take a photo showing the double image and post it here? I'll make a print of that image and carry it in the car. If (when) a new windshield is needed I can show the installers what it will look like if they use a windshield without the polarizer. I can then easily say, "i told you so," if they do it wrong.

    12. #10
      Junior Member sschultze's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Conroe, TX
      Posts
      67
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Timewise View Post
      Any chance you can take a photo showing the double image and post it here? I'll make a print of that image and carry it in the car. If (when) a new windshield is needed I can show the installers what it will look like if they use a windshield without the polarizer. I can then easily say, "i told you so," if they do it wrong.
      Here’s a photo. Finally had time recently to take it back to Volvo and they are ordering a new windshield. Part number that they installed is only on the box, not on the windshield so they cannot verify.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1968 P1800S, 2010 C30, 2014 XC60, 2015 XC70

    13. #11
      Junior Member Mr Timewise's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Hawthorn Woods, Illinois USA
      Posts
      232
      Excellent! Thank you.

    14. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Cracked Windshield - Dealer or Safelite
      By Batdog in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 10-26-2018, 09:34 AM
    2. Ignition Lock replaced and Alarm Module Battery replaced
      By khnitz in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-02-2018, 01:07 PM
    3. Heated Windshield or HUD?
      By Old Glory in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: 08-28-2016, 05:47 AM
    4. Had a little drama getting a new windshield from safelite yesterday.
      By my2ndimport in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 08-12-2010, 01:14 PM