ISSUE: Major weather stripping failure
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ISSUE: Major weather stripping failure

Hi,

First time poster, but long time lurker.

I bought my 2019 S60 T5 Momentum in February 2019, and unfortunately the car has spent more time at the dealer than in my driveway... I could write a novel about all the issues I’ve had in 6 months with this car, but for now I just wanted to mention the issues i’m Having with my weather stripping and see if anyone else is having the same issue.

I noticed in April that the weather stripping was hanging off the bottom of the drivers door (There are multiple gaskets on each door, but I’m talking about the large one-piece gasket that seals the door to the door jamb). Upon further investigation I found that the same seal was coming loose on all 4 doors.

The dealer replaced the weather stripping for the first time in April. Unfortunately they also smashed in the drivers side rear quarter panel, and the car spent the next couple weeks in the body shop. When I finally received the car back, the weather stripping was already failing, and worse than before.

In June, the car was inspected by the regional rep and a Volvo engineer (for the weather stripping and other issues) and the engineer determined that the dealer had used an obsolete process for replacing the weather stripping. He had the dealer re-order the seals, but suggested the body shop that did the body work do the replacement the second time because they have more experience with weather stripping.

The body shop had the car for 10 days, but from what I could tell on the VOC app, the car sat the entire time until the last day when I could see the doors and windows open in the app- I think they quickly replaced them in ~1 hour and sent it back to the dealer. When I arrived to pick the car up I could already see the stripping separating from the door. The SA said that this was normal (I knew it wasn’t) and to give it a couple days to cure. It never cured, and I spent the next month re-sticking it every time I opened the door.

Now, it’s in for the 3rd time having the weather stripping again! They claimed that the second procedure they used was also obsolete now, and that the car has to sit for 3 days with the doors closed following the replacement. They assure me that the problem will he fixed now- which I’m having a hard time believing.

But here’s the kicker- they gave me a 2020 S60 T6 Momentum for a loaner, and the weather stripping is failing on all four doors on this car! It’s a mode year newer than mine and the problem looks completely unresolved.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had these issues? And if you haven’t noticed, it might be worth looking at your car to see if the weather stripping is coming off. I’ve seen it now on 2 model years.

Thanks!
      Dennis

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      Hi,

First time poster, but long time lurker.

I bought my 2019 S60 T5 Momentum in February 2019, and unfortunately the car has spent more time at the dealer than in my driveway... I could write a novel about all the issues Iíve had in 6 months with this car, but for now I just wanted to mention the issues iím Having with my weather stripping and see if anyone else is having the same issue.

I noticed in April that the weather stripping was hanging off the bottom of the drivers door (There are multiple gaskets on each door, but Iím talking about the large one-piece gasket that seals the door to the door jamb). Upon further investigation I found that the same seal was coming loose on all 4 doors.

The dealer replaced the weather stripping for the first time in April. Unfortunately they also smashed in the drivers side rear quarter panel, and the car spent the next couple weeks in the body shop. When I finally received the car back, the weather stripping was already failing, and worse than before.

In June, the car was inspected by the regional rep and a Volvo engineer (for the weather stripping and other issues) and the engineer determined that the dealer had used an obsolete process for replacing the weather stripping. He had the dealer re-order the seals, but suggested the body shop that did the body work do the replacement the second time because they have more experience with weather stripping.

The body shop had the car for 10 days, but from what I could tell on the VOC app, the car sat the entire time until the last day when I could see the doors and windows open in the app- I think they quickly replaced them in ~1 hour and sent it back to the dealer. When I arrived to pick the car up I could already see the stripping separating from the door. The SA said that this was normal (I knew it wasnít) and to give it a couple days to cure. It never cured, and I spent the next month re-sticking it every time I opened the door.

Now, itís in for the 3rd time having the weather stripping again! They claimed that the second procedure they used was also obsolete now, and that the car has to sit for 3 days with the doors closed following the replacement. They assure me that the problem will he fixed now- which Iím having a hard time believing.

But hereís the kicker- they gave me a 2020 S60 T6 Momentum for a loaner, and the weather stripping is failing on all four doors on this car! Itís a mode year newer than mine and the problem looks completely unresolved.

Iím wondering if anyone else has had these issues? And if you havenít noticed, it might be worth looking at your car to see if the weather stripping is coming off. Iíve seen it now on 2 model years.

Thanks!
      Dennis
      My car is a 2019 T6 R-Design, not sure it changes anything between trims but I checked my gasket today as well. At first, I pulled on it slightly and it pulled as little bit away from the cars molding and I immediately gasped and thought I was about to deal with the same issue...

Then I, being the unintentionally destructive human I am, stopped, and then starting pulling again and realized that my gasket is held on by little white pins that attach to the body and hold from within the gasket. I am assuming we are talking about the same gasket trim???

Its at the leading edge of the bottom door sill? If not, a photo would be very helpful. I don't have a gasket at the bottom of the actual door, just the gasket that runs continuously all the way around the door, the gasket that meets that on the body, and then the gasket that runs along the bottom of the door sills the full length of the car.

Thanks for the reply, MJEWETT! I’m glad to hear your weather stripping is ok!

Sorry, I didn’t do a great job describing the gasket. I’m talking about the one that is attached to the door, and runs continuously all the way around the door and seals it to the body. Surprisingly, there are no clips at all holding this gasket- but it’s secured under the trim on the upper portion of the car and glued all the way around.

I don’t have any great pictures of it on my car, but I’ll run out and grab a picture of the loaner when I get a chance.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I found a couple pictures of the issue on my car. This is after the first replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And after the second replacement.

And after the second replacement.

Hey... ironically enough, i jinxed myself replying to this! Washed my car today and cleaned the door jambs and all four doors have the weatherstrip failure. Did you ever get this resolved for good?

Quality control in South Carolina must be abysmal. I’ve had a few issues myself. Disappointed in Volvo.

Happening to my '19 RDesign as well, but just one door (rear passenger door). Will let them look at it at my 10k.

Quote Originally Posted by MJEWETT View Post
      Hey... ironically enough, i jinxed myself replying to this! Washed my car today and cleaned the door jambs and all four doors have the weatherstrip failure. Did you ever get this resolved for good?
      hey man, how are you dealing with this? Just going to have your service advisor take a look @ 10k?

Quote Originally Posted by preciseman View Post
      hey man, how are you dealing with this? Just going to have your service advisor take a look @ 10k?
      I am actually having a few other issues... So I have a service appointment tomorrow morning for this along with some other concerns. I will keep you posted on what they come up with remedy wise...

If it weren't for the other issues, along with the fact that I actually get bad wind noise and some water passing by from the gasket failure during carwashes, I wouldn't be bothering until the 10K service. Just don't want to risk it.

Major weather stripping failure

As a result of this thread I checked mine and noticed that one of mine was separating. Iím shocked that they seem to just be taped on! Iíve never seen that before, they are always attached with pins I thought. I restuck it on and will mention it at my 10k service, but that wonít be for a couple of months, Iíll keep an eye on it in the meantime.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ĒAdventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.Ē

Update to my dealers repair attempts for this:

Got a call yesterday, indicating that they will not be replacing the door seals or removing them. Instead, they will be "utilizing a rubber - to - metal gasket glue" in the spots that were falling off. Service adviser said they have had good luck in the past with this stuff. Of course, this brought me to the question of why not take it off, apply glue, reapply entire gaskets on all four doors; to which he replied with the answer of "well then we get into opening pandora's box and are susceptible to issues like rattles, etc. from removing the door panels."

Great, you don't feel confident your re-installation of parts on the door wouldn't cause rattles. Okay, sure whatever. I appreciate you not wanting buzzing to drive me crazy and have to come back. But what about when the areas that didn't fail yet fail... am I going to have to come back every single time a new area of each gasket starts to come loose? Which, obviously, will happen. If one area fails, the entire thing will at some point in time. It's all the same tape after all.

Of course, I did have the conversation end with the fact that "my rims and tires are not stock nor original equipment for the S60, and could cause issues down the line attributed to these. They would be more than happy to install a set of OE Tires at $1,600 plus labor for me. I laughed obviously... I put S/V90 Rims and VOLVO specific "VOL" branded Pirelli tires on an S60. Please... tell me whats going to go wrong because I don't have the specified Conti's that come on the S60 accessory rims... that are only optional in Europe. Here's a fun game: try to guess who I got these "non-original equipment" tires from
      Last edited by MJEWETT; 09-06-2019 at 07:19 AM.

I just looked at my 2019 and saw that the weather stripping was sagging on the bottom on all 4 doors to different degrees. I pushed it up on one door and see it sticks but am sure it will not hold. I saw on line a 3M tube of black super weatherstrip adhesive. It might be worth the time to try this because I have used these products in the past and find they are excellent. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want the doors to be taken apart over something that looks quite easy to do. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin880 View Post
      I just looked at my 2019 and saw that the weather stripping was sagging on the bottom on all 4 doors to different degrees. I pushed it up on one door and see it sticks but am sure it will not hold. I saw on line a 3M tube of black super weatherstrip adhesive. It might be worth the time to try this because I have used these products in the past and find they are excellent. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want the doors to be taken apart over something that looks quite easy to do. Any thoughts?
      Hey- this is absolutely the way to go right now. I had all four doors pulled apart 3 times to have the gaskets replaced, and it never worked. And I WAS getting rattles after the second time. Iím waiting for a recall, or a fix that actually works before I have the dealer replace them again.

I just used the 3M weather gasket adhesive to glue the loose sections and that seems to be holding up the best so far. But that only worked because I didnít allow the gaskets to get stretched, so they still fit perfectly.

Then I treated all 4 seals with this stuff, at my detailers recommendation. You treat the outsides of the gasket and it prevents it from sticking to the door sill and tugging on the adhesive when you open the door. I just treated it yesterday so I canít say for sure how theyíll hold up, but I will keep updating.

Holy moly. I am still waiting for my V60CC. In fact, I do not even have its VIN yet. Now I am reading all of these heads-up reports. You guys know how I am feeling

Hope Volvo step up and fix the issues quickly and permanently.

Haven't done one on a SPA car yet, but I'm pretty sure the door panels are not removed to do them. So I don't know what all the worry is about rattles. Even if they are, it is entirely possible to remove and reinstall a door panel without rattles.
      Last edited by Tech; 09-06-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaep View Post
      Holy moly. I am still waiting for my V60CC. In fact, I do not even have its VIN yet. Now I am reading all of these heads-up reports. You guys know how I am feeling

While the V60 and my S60 are built in different factories I will tell you that outside of this very minor issue mine has been flawless! I LOVE IT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ĒAdventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by jaep View Post

Not sure if this problem is only isolated to the S60 as my 2020 V60 R-Design does not have this issue.
      (Hers) 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Convenience | Vision | Climate with Heated Windshield | Carbon Fiber | Nappa Leather | Black Headliner |
      (His) 2020 V60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Premium | Premium Plus (HUD) |

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Haven't done one on a SPA car yet, but I'm pretty sure the door panels are not removed to do them. So I don't know what all the worry is about rattles. Even if they are, it is entirely possible to remove and reinstall a door panel without rattles.
      Hi Tech- thanks for your input. Youíre right, the rattles can be fixed. But after multiple failed attempts to replace the gaskets I was kind of feeling like it went off the rails.

And I donít think this is a dealer technician issue; it seems like a material or design issue where itís coming from the factory like this and failing in the same fashion after being replaced at the dealer.

Hereís a pic from my car- I think the door panels have to be removed because the gasket sits under that black molding around the upper part of the door on the SPA S60.

Iíd be curious to see if the V60ís share this same gasket setup, for the front doors at least.

It appears that my one week old 2019 T5 R Design has this problem. Thank you for the info.
      During inspection of door gaskets I discovered that the door courtesy lights are missing and instead there is an empty hole where they belong, on all four doors. Nice quality control South Carolina! I smell a new thread, Which will also be my first unfortunately!

Sorry to hear youíre having this issue too- welcome to the loose gasket club!

I used gasket adhesive to glue down all the loose spots last month, and itís already starting to fail in the places I didnít glue... they really need to be replaced by Volvo with the root cause fixed (design, material?).

And just this last Monday I was driving on the freeway with my moonroof open and heard something flapping above me...

Well, I have an update for you all.

I as well have dealt with this and still am. My weatherstrips have failed three times now and have been attempted to be fixed each time without being resolved. First, they tried to glue them, got glue all over the car. I will make this short but basically I have had various issues with this car since day one:

-Vibration issues - 3 tires defective and replaced, still persists
      -Weatherstripping issues - glued, replaced, replaced, yada yada. In the process of replacement, caused damage to door panels while dissembling and removing them (tears, nicks, and holes in the vinyl as well as scratches and gouges in the window switch and door trim)
      -Missing components like clips, caps, retainers etc for the doors and headliner, just completely overlooked and not present - replaced missing components, headliner still sags and rattles
      -Rear seat frame assemblies welded incorrectly, entire assembly replaced by dealer
      -Front seats click and bind - seats dissembled and greased yet issue still present
      -Rattle and squeak in airbag/steering column - attempted repair using felt... still present
      -Now the door panels and speakers rattle from being disassembled and the wind noise is atrocious.
      -Many other issues I won't even bother to go over...

Basically, Volvo has told me nicely to go F*** myself and deal with the fact that my car has had so many issues, caused extreme disruption to my work/life schedule, and been an agonizing headache since day one. No one likes getting in their car every morning that they pay a pretty penny for every month to be reminded just how much you hate it. I have been patient, understanding, and friendly with staff and Volvo Customer Care but have still been turned down for any further assistance. They do not even have a suggestion of what to do next to try and remedy the issue with the weatherstripping issue still persisting, as they donít have another fix to try. They told me they will not be assisting in a vehicle replacement, buyback, or trade-assist.

I worked for Volvo, and my family has had over 15 Volvo's over the last 27 years. I normally would not blast them publicly like this, and haven't for the past 4 months but at this point I am breaking my silence as I need help/suggestions of what to do next. The only thing I see at this point would be to threaten by means of a lawyer and filing with the Consumer Protection Agency... I am just baffled as to how you can tell a lifelong customer that you basically can't help them any further and they will just have to suck it up and live with their 4 month old car that apparently cannot be repaired.

I as well have dealt with this and still am. My weatherstrips have failed three times now and have been attempted to be fixed each time without being resolved. First, they tried to glue them, got glue all over the car. I will make this short but basically I have had various issues with this car since day one:

-Weatherstripping issues - glued, replaced, replaced, yada yada. In the process of replacement, caused damage to door panels while dissembling and removing them (tears, nicks, and holes in the vinyl as well as scratches and gouges in the window switch and door trim)
      -Missing components like clips, caps, retainers etc for the doors and headliner, just completely overlooked and not present - replaced missing components, headliner still sags and rattles
      -Rear seat frame assemblies welded incorrectly, entire assembly replaced by dealer
      -Front seats click and bind - seats dissembled and greased yet issue still present
      -Rattle and squeak in airbag/steering column - attempted repair using felt... still present
      -Now the door panels and speakers rattle from being disassembled and the wind noise is atrocious.

Basically, Volvo has told me nicely to go F*** myself and deal with the fact that my car has had so many issues, caused extreme disruption to my work/life schedule, and been an agonizing headache since day one. No one likes getting in their car every morning that they pay a pretty penny for every month to be reminded just how much you hate it. I have been patient, understanding, and friendly with staff and Volvo Customer Care but have still been turned down for any further assistance. They do not even have a suggestion of what to do next to try and remedy the issue with the weatherstripping issue still persisting, as they don’t have another fix to try. They told me they will not be assisting in a vehicle replacement, buyback, or trade-assist.

I worked for Volvo, and my family has had over 15 Volvo's over the last 27 years. I normally would not blast them publicly like this, and haven't for the past 4 months but at this point I am breaking my silence as I need help/suggestions of what to do next. The only thing I see at this point would be to threaten by means of a lawyer and filing with the Consumer Protection Agency... I am just baffled as to how you can tell a lifelong customer that you basically can't help them any further and they will just have to suck it up and live with their 4 month old car that apparently cannot be repaired.
      Honestly, if all that is true, a lawyer is probably your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Katin View Post
      It appears that my one week old 2019 T5 R Design has this problem. Thank you for the info.
      During inspection of door gaskets I discovered that the door courtesy lights are missing and instead there is an empty hole where they belong, on all four doors. Nice quality control South Carolina! I smell a new thread, Which will also be my first unfortunately!
      It should be noted that this car has been confirmed to have been built correctly with regard to the lighting. Nothing is missing.

Basically, Volvo has told me nicely to go F*** myself and deal with the fact that my car has had so many issues, caused extreme disruption to my work/life schedule, and been an agonizing headache since day one. No one likes getting in their car every morning that they pay a pretty penny for every month to be reminded just how much you hate it. I have been patient, understanding, and friendly with staff and Volvo Customer Care but have still been turned down for any further assistance. They do not even have a suggestion of what to do next to try and remedy the issue with the weatherstripping issue still persisting, as they donít have another fix to try. They told me they will not be assisting in a vehicle replacement, buyback, or trade-assist.

You might be able to seek help via the Lemon Law at this point if one of your (still present) issues has been in for repair 3+ times. I'm no lawyer, but maybe taking it to the next level is what you need to do in order to get Volvo to listen or get you out of this car. Good luck!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Call a Lemon Law lawyer and start the process. There's no other way. I've been there - it doesn't get better (i.e. - fixed)
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Sorry to hear youíre having this issue too- welcome to the loose gasket club!

I used gasket adhesive to glue down all the loose spots last month, and itís already starting to fail in the places I didnít glue... they really need to be replaced by Volvo with the root cause fixed (design, material?).

And just this last Monday I was driving on the freeway with my moonroof open and heard something flapping above me...

Is there anyone brave enough to check their moonroof gasket to see if it is glued on, or if itís supposed to just sit on the lip that goes around the opening?

I pushed it back on and it seemed to go mostly back in to place, but there was no sign of any adhesive being used on this gasket.

Someone remind me to bump this thread and this one ( ISSUE: Missing Puddle Light Cover ??
      https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app) the next time someone goes all ďanti-ChinaĒ in the XC60 forums.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Someone remind me to bump this thread and this one ( ISSUE: Missing Puddle Light Cover ??
      https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app) the next time someone goes all “anti-China” in the XC60 forums.
      The puddle light was not missing.

Sorry to hear you’re having this issue too- welcome to the loose gasket club!

I used gasket adhesive to glue down all the loose spots last month, and it’s already starting to fail in the places I didn’t glue... they really need to be replaced by Volvo with the root cause fixed (design, material?).

Is there anyone brave enough to check their moonroof gasket to see if it is glued on, or if it’s supposed to just sit on the lip that goes around the opening?

I pushed it back on and it seemed to go mostly back in to place, but there was no sign of any adhesive being used on this gasket.

It probably just snaps in but I'll check one when I get a chance

It probably just snaps in but I'll check one when I get a chance
      Thanks Tech- much appreciated. It almost seems like the gasket is too small for the opening; both front corners of the gasket wonít snap back onto the lip without pulling the other corner...

The puddle light was not missing.
      Yeah, I got that but thanks. I'm just saying there's a lot of misguided "everything Volvo & china sucks" perceptions out there and it's getting old for me.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      I'm just saying there's a lot of misguided "everything Volvo & china sucks" perceptions out there and it's getting old for me.
      I really don't see this anywhere on this forum; I don't think it's true... I think that people have legitimate concerns here and there, and people need to be allowed to state their problems at a forum like this, without people who are overly "Volvo loyal" to jump all over them. I get being "Volvo loyal"; we've owned Volvo wagons constantly since 1985, and I have no intention to stop doing so. But a lot of what Volvo does frustrates me, and they have to continue earning my business if they want it in future, and I want to hear about other peoples' negative experiences at this forum, as well as their positive experiences. I will never be upset at somebody because they attack Volvo; life is too short.
      Last edited by cometguy; 10-28-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Nobody is saying Volvo sucks. We can have valid concerns and offer constructive criticism in a civilized manner. That’s what this forum is for.

Just because I openly criticize and voice my concerns about the new S60 and Volvo USA’s general incompetence and poor customer service doesn’t take away from the fact that my 2017 V60 is one of my favorite vehicles I have ever owned. Period.

I work hard for my $ and there is a lot of competition out there. Volvo has to *earn* my business.

Same thing happened on the BMW forums when the previous 3 series came out. And look-BMW actually listened. They delivered a much better car.

That’s all we want. By sharing some grievances, we can maybe hope that Volvo is listening and it helps them improve moving forward.

3900 miles on my 2019 S60 T5 R-Design and I havenít had any issues with any of the gaskets on any of my doors.

Knock on wood.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast