ISSUE: Major weather stripping failure - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by antmen View Post
      3900 miles on my 2019 S60 T5 R-Design and I havenít had any issues with any of the gaskets on any of my doors.

Knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thatís great! Glad to hear it. If you donít mind me asking, what area of the country are you in and what was the build month/year of your car?

Iím in New England and my car was built 11/18.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by antmen View Post
      3900 miles on my 2019 S60 T5 R-Design and I havenít had any issues with any of the gaskets on any of my doors.

Knock on wood.

My 2019 S60 T6 Inscription was build in December, 2018. Zero gasket problems anywhere that I could find!

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      ...what area of the country are you in and what was the build month/year of your car?

Iím in New England and my car was built 11/18.

Iím in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles and my car was built in 12/2018.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcdaniel33 View Post
      My 2019 S60 T6 Inscription was build in December, 2018. Zero gasket problems anywhere that I could find!
      Hmm, it looks like December 18 was a good month for them. Iíd say that maybe they had it figured out at that point, except that Iíve seen this issue on a 2020 S60 T6 momentum that I had for a loaner...

Are you in a warmer climate too?

Any new developments? Iím kinda tired of resticking my weather stripping every other day to prevent a total failure.

ISSUE: Major weather stripping failure

My post has nothing to do with the build quality just throwing in what I used on failing trunk gasket. Removed the gasket where it was failing. Cleaned the metal with alcohol on both sides and installed the tape. Than pushed the gasket into place and forgot about the issue. Should Volvo fix it? Sure, but if you are tired like I was get creative if you otherwise love the car.

Just to add to rkohouís post, Iíve used this stuff before and it works perfect. Another option (again, dealer should fix, but...)

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...esive-12345097
      2020 S60 PE, Matte Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

Great find beers. Completely forgot about my favorite gasket chemical company. They do know what they doing.

My car has been at the dealership since last Tuesday and weather stripping was one of the issues theyíre supposed to be fixing.

I only got a brief update Friday that they needed the car through the weekend and were waiting on parts (unrelated to weather stripping). I donít know how they plan to fix it - I had applied the 3M gasket adhesive to the loose portions of the weather stripping just a couple months ago, and new parts were coming loose already.

Iíll update this thread when I find out more from the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      My car has been at the dealership since last Tuesday and weather stripping was one of the issues theyíre supposed to be fixing.

I only got a brief update Friday that they needed the car through the weekend and were waiting on parts (unrelated to weather stripping). I donít know how they plan to fix it - I had applied the 3M gasket adhesive to the loose portions of the weather stripping just a couple months ago, and new parts were coming loose already.

Iíll update this thread when I find out more from the dealer.

Here's an update for you all since my last post...

Volvo is either doing right by me, or sick of hearing from me, but have approved a collateral swap. I placed an order for my 2020 S60 replacement a few weeks ago and am hoping to have it a little before Christmas. Regardless of why, I am very glad they have approved this for me. It took an extreme amount of patience, a lot of back-and-forth, and contacting many people outside of who you typically would deal with regarding issues but it all worked out in the end. Lets hope my replacement is issue-free; especially since the gaskets were the least of this cars' issues.

I am extremely excited to hopefully have a fully functioning and properly assembled car to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I loved this car when I got it but it only takes a small amount of rather questionable issues to tarnish an otherwise great vehicle.

I spec'd the car out the same as I have now options wise, but changed up the colors a bit:

Crystal White Metallic* (As opposed to my Black Stone)
      Slate Interior* (As opposed to Charcoal - personally have not seen the R-Design slate in person but it seems to lean towards a bluer hue)
      T6 R-Design
      Polestar Engineered Tune
      Advanced Pack
      Park Assist Pilot
      Bowers & Wilkins
      Heated Rear Seats and Steering Wheel
      Sport Chassis
      19" Wheels

Quite recently I noticed that the weather stripping on my right rear door was wet on the bottom side. Better inspection earned also here some of the stripping was coming off.
      I was thinking, could the wetness be caused by the stripping coming off or was the wetness already present last winter and did the stripping come of due to freezing and tearing off while opening the door.
      I tried to find some logic where the wetness is coming from but could not find it though.

During my 10k mile service (2019 S60 T6 Inscription) today, I mentioned my passenger-side rear door weather stripping was loose/failed. At pick-up tonight, I was told their fix was to wait for parts to arrive in 5 days from Sweden. Hmmm... no glue, but replacement parts instead? (And, not from the SC plant?).

Quote Originally Posted by USAF_Paul View Post
      During my 10k mile service (2019 S60 T6 Inscription) today, I mentioned my passenger-side rear door weather stripping was loose/failed. At pick-up tonight, I was told their fix was to wait for parts to arrive in 5 days from Sweden. Hmmm... no glue, but replacement parts instead? (And, not from the SC plant?).
      any "official" fix is going to be total replacement of the weatherstripping with OEM that comes with new glue/tape pre-applied.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Haven't done one on a SPA car yet, but I'm pretty sure the door panels are not removed to do them. So I don't know what all the worry is about rattles. Even if they are, it is entirely possible to remove and reinstall a door panel without rattles.

The panels may rattle if the process is done without replacing the pins. The pins are generally a one time use due to the barb being damaged during removal. You have to order the pins in advance, and only use OEM pins. They were about .40 per pin.
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription
      2017 XC90 T8 Excellence
      2018 Audi R8
      2007 Corvette Z51
      2008 Toyota Tundra
      1992 Kenworth W-900 and 5th Wheel RV
      2017 Canam X3
      All current vehicles
      48 prior vehicles

Most of the interior parts such as weather stripping, fasteners speaker covers panels either are or will soon be manufactured in China, depending on the model. I would also lay big odds down that if in fact the Swedish manufactured and installed weather stripping we wouldn't be having this discussion.
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription
      2017 XC90 T8 Excellence
      2018 Audi R8
      2007 Corvette Z51
      2008 Toyota Tundra
      1992 Kenworth W-900 and 5th Wheel RV
      2017 Canam X3
      All current vehicles
      48 prior vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Myexcellence View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Haven't done one on a SPA car yet, but I'm pretty sure the door panels are not removed to do them. So I don't know what all the worry is about rattles. Even if they are, it is entirely possible to remove and reinstall a door panel without rattles.

The panels may rattle if the process is done without replacing the pins. The pins are generally a one time use due to the barb being damaged during removal. You have to order the pins in advance, and only use OEM pins. They were about .40 per pin.
      Simply not true. What pins are you talking about?

Well, it is finally here and situation resolved!

After the wait for my order to arrive and a little hiccup here and there, I finally received my S60 Replacement and am very happy overall. I chose Crystal White this go around. Said Hiccup above resulted in being able to get the exterior styling kit as well so overall, win win.

Congrats! She's sharp
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Nice to hear you finally ended up in a good spot. Hopefully, your perseverance will be repaid with a perfect new ride. For others facing a similar dilemma, here's a good link that lays out your legal protections and steps to take to ensure resolution. The law is our safety net, but there are rules in place to protect both parties. Ultimately, they favor the consumer ... it just takes a lot of steps and time to get it done.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/lemon-law/
      2020 V60 Cross Country | Advanced, Luxury, CC Pro packages

Mmmmm nice, I can almost tell the sport chassis on sight now, it sits just that bit lower, the S60s without I see look like they ride high. Those wheels you got help too. Sweet color, love white.

I had the same issue in My 2018 S90. It was only the driver door (at the bottom). It seems that the heat cause the rubber to stretch and the glue loosen up. Also, frquent use of the door contribute to the issue. So, you better not open any door if you fear that rubber will fall. Just kidding.

Anyway, if your dealer installed a new one, it will not solve the issue and the problem will occur again,if Volvo did not redesign that thing or improved the glue quality.

Save yourself the headache and use a high quality double sided tape, preferably, thin to stick the rubber correctly. There are different brands online.

There is also a double sided tape used for electronics... Laptop screens. It might work very well since it's thin and strong.

All the best.. Don't let anything ruin your enjoyment of your beautiful Volvo

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2