I glitched Pilot Assist causing a power steering issue
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I glitched Pilot Assist causing a power steering issue

I have a 2019 S60 T5 Inscription with PA and HUD. It now has about 3700 miles on it and has been flawless. My wife and I love this car. I really think it's smoother and quieter than my 2018 S90 T6 AWD.

Anyway, here's what happened. I was cruising on an essentially empty highway at 50 mph with PA on. I came up on an exit/entrance ramp that connected to another highway. I used the steering wheel controls to slow the car to 40 mph while signaling the lane change to exit the highway I was on. So far, so good. The ramp gradually curved to the right with 2 lanes, until suddenly at the end of the ramp, it decreased the radius of the turn a lot and dropped from 2 lanes to 1 lane. Again, I am the only car around. I knew from previous experience that the PA could not handle the suddenly decreased radius of the turn so I quickly turned the wheel to the right to stay in the center of the ramp. It is important to note that I did not signal the lane change. This caused the front of the car to cross the lane marker just before it ended and became 1 lane. The PA and lane keeping systems got very unhappy at this point. I got an alarm sound the same as you get if the car thinks you are about to hit a vehicle in front of you and the steering wheel gave a very hard shake to the left and the right. The center display gave a message that read: Power steering service urgent. Drive to workshop. The steering got numb and heavy. Not as heavy as it would be if the power steering totally failed, but it was noticeably different. Even my wife as passenger noticed the car "felt different".

Pilot assist would not engage and cruise control would not engage for the rest of my trip home.
      This occurred late on a Sunday and my dealer was not open until the following morning. I called them in the AM and they said to bring it right in and they would have an answer for me by the end of the day. When I started the car to bring it to them, the error message did not display and the steering felt normal. PA and ACC worked as expected. The dealership checked everything in the power steering system and everything else they could think of. They did a System update that the car called for and road tested it. No problem found. It is their opinion that by forcing the sudden lane change without signaling, with PA engaged, it caused the system to "glitch" and go into a temporary limp mode when my steering input forces exceeded some critical value in the power steering system. The steering wheel did give a very hard shake to the left and the right that I held onto firmly to keep the car going where I wanted it to go.

This was several weeks ago and I have not had any problems with it since.

I believe if it happens again in the future, I just need to pull over and restart the car to clear the error code. Also, I really shouldn't be using PA on exit/entrance ramps. Remember to always use your turn signals when changing lanes with PA on or off.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sounds like you scared the crap out of the car! After it pulled its shorts out of its electronic butt, it was happy again. Lol
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements