SPA XC60 - Roof Top Tent Time
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Post SPA XC60 - Roof Top Tent Time

...and read on for more on how we got this setup set up:

The Overlanding kit for my XC60 T8 is starting to get serious...after endless searching and researching, I put my hard earned clams down on a pre-order sale of the new Falcon RTT from Roofnest.
      At just 6.5 inches thick and an aluminum shell it's the thinnest and sleekest RTT out there, and mine arrives via truck freight tomorrow afternoon.

To get all ready for it's arrival I put in some serious mucking-about-in-the-garage time today figuring out the rake of the roof-bars with the air suspension in different settings. The tent is 85" long, so after you move that length forward enough to clear the rear hatch when open, it'll end up poking out above the windshield substantially...I'm probably being OCD but I would think it's probably best not to have that pointed upwards into the slipstream like a new baseball cap (and look similarly dumb).

Now the following measurements are admittedly half-assed.
      With no reasonable way to measure from the top of the bars to the ground, I measured upwards to my garage ceiling, so we need to trust that it's flat and level and that my hands and Mk. 1 eyeballs made the measuring tape stand reasonably close to vertical.
      Let's start with Pure mode, the suspension mode I prefer to travel in, and this will be the baseline, with the roof bars mounted at the official default positions as per the manual.

The difference between the two bars in Pure mode is .4", the front bar being .4" higher off the ground than the rear bar. Annoying.
      Then we have, and again with Pure as the baseline:

Mode....... Front / Rear
      Parking..... -1.2" -1.1"
      Hybrid..... +0.3" +0.4"
      Power....... -0.3" -0.1"
      AWD....... +0.3" +0.4"
      OR......... +1.8" +1.8"

A couple thoughts on that data...Pure and OR have the same rake, while in all the other modes the rear is higher, especially Power where the rear is .2" higher up than Pure mode.
      Also I never realized before that Hybrid and AWD mode have exactly the same height and therefore ground clearance. I thought AWD was a little taller and then OR was super tall...just me?

Anyway, the goal then was remove that .4" of rake, and also spread the bars out to better spread the load (suggested distance between the bars is 36-42")
      The trick was to move the front bar as far forward as possible while maintaining proper rail engagement, this brought the front bar down substantially, and then I placed the rear bar 40" back from the front bar:

This arrangements shifts the height balance by a full .5", making the rear bar juuuust slightly higher than the front.

Next problem I may have is width...the Falcon RTT is 50" wide, which is about 5" wider than the factory bars.
      Not a structural problem, but if you look closely at the pic see how the end-caps fold over the bars?
      I may need some sort of .25" shim in there so the bottom of the tent is properly supported across the full width and the locking bar caps don't get mashed.

More to come stay tuned! Aiming for Labor Day weekend for our first excursion if we can get everything sorted out in time.

Last edited by Kranvagn; 09-17-2019 at 09:37 AM.
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm interested. Curious though with the current specs of those load bars it would seem as if you are going to exceed the maximum load bearing weight with the combination of the RTT and your own bodyweight. Unless you're the size of an average 9 year old, you're going to go over the recommended weight.

The Falcon weighs 135 lbs (150 for the XL)

Technical data
      Material: Aluminium with protective cover in TPE
      Colour: Black with aluminium profile
      Accessory weight: 5.1 kg (11 lbs)
      Load width: 1010 mm
      Maximum roof load: 100 kg (including the load carrier's weight) 220.4 lbs
      Photo: VCC10555

And I read the roofbar requirements for the Falcon. I personally wouldn't trust it.
      Last edited by n a m; 08-22-2019 at 05:18 AM.
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

I'm not a fan of tent, but Audi has interesting solution : Inflatable Tents

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The 100Kg roof bar maximum load is the dynamic load.
      I.E. what weight is it safe to drive or even crash with up on the bars.

The static maximum load OTOH is entirely different and should be 5-10 times higher, so 2 adults and a 100lb tent is no problem.

As for the inflatable tent lol, thanks BB but no thanks. That might work for space stations but I'm more aiming for something that sets up and tears down in seconds, has no additional flat smooth ground footprint requirement, and keeps me up out of the food chain, but you do you!

I prefer hotels or possibly a camper / motorhome
      I've only been to the tent once (before 30 year) in my life and never again
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Someone was just looking for an excuse to plug his favorite car manufacturer, Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Someone was just looking for an excuse to plug his favorite car manufacturer, Audi.
      You have the wrong opinion, of course you are entitled to it
      I just to show how some companies have simple and functional solutions for a lot of what is useful

PS: Ah yes Volvo used a VW group diesel engine for 20 years
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I was just traveling through Southern Africa and I saw those rooftop tents in most campgrounds. I've never bothered with something like that, because I have so many tents that go on the ground. But, I think lifestyle options like that make an SUV more desirable.

Interesting thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Kranvagn View Post
      The 100Kg roof bar maximum load is the dynamic load.
      I.E. what weight is it safe to drive or even crash with up on the bars.

The static maximum load OTOH is entirely different and should be 5-10 times higher, so 2 adults and a 100lb tent is no problem.
      I hope you don't think I was being overly critical. I should have spent a little more time looking beyond the specs of the roof bars- the dynamic load isn't explained. Do you happen to have the page you referenced? I'm only curious so don't feel obligated.

Hooligan of Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by n a m View Post
      I hope you don't think I was being overly critical. I should have spent a little more time looking beyond the specs of the roof bars- the dynamic load isn't explained. Do you happen to have the page you referenced? I'm only curious so don't feel obligated.
      Oh no worries man, I thought the same thing, that RTTs need extra Jeep/Range Rover grade mounting and reinforcing...until I saw some pics on FB of some friends with an RTT on a CX-5 and thought W.T.F. and looked into more deeply.

It arrived, pics!!

No it's not even mounted yet, just sitting on top the roof rack lol. Leaving soon for a long weekend in Vancouver so won't be able to sort it out until I get back next week.

My worries above about shims were unfounded, the bottom of the RTT isn't flat, it actually has two lengthwise rails built into the structure which it rests on and within which the mounting hardware attaches.

And yes, it does fit under the garage door
      Last edited by Kranvagn; 08-22-2019 at 05:26 PM.

First pics of the RTT in action! One camping trip down and 2 more to go before we do a real review video for our YouTube channel, but so far let's say we're very happy and having a great time:

Awesome photos K! This setup seems to be working for you.
      Very soon I'll be headed on my first camping trip while owning the XC60, only the weekend though. so a lot of unpaved roads...wish I had your wheels and tires
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription - B & W

Great pics! Looks like a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T8 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension | 21" Wheels | Polestar

Sweeeeeeeeet!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by VeeXCee View Post
      Awesome photos K! This setup seems to be working for you.
      Very soon I'll be headed on my first camping trip while owning the XC60, only the weekend though. so a lot of unpaved roads...wish I had your wheels and tires
      The wheels and tires cost about $200/corner if I remember correctly, and I got 5 :-P
      gl on the camping trip, we found we actually were able to pack far more into the rear than expected, that dark black cave trunk on the R Design hides it's size :-P

Roof Top Tent review video is up!
      (on the whole we're loving the whole RTT thing and the Falcon is proving excellent, though there are some inevitable trade-offs...)

I really enjoy your videos and posts.
      Thank you for ding them.

The rooftop tent seem quite versatile. Where does the ladder stow at night? Under the tent floor?
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

As per Kranvagan's video posted above, the ladder goes into the trunk and its foldable.

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      As per Kranvagan's video posted above, the ladder goes into the trunk and its foldable.
      How do you climb back into the tent after you store it in the trunk at night?

Hooligan of Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by n a m View Post
      How do you climb back into the tent after you store it in the trunk at night?
      LOL...yeah the Mrs. had a similar assumption and question, something like 'how do you pull up the ladder at night?'
      Um...you don't, it's not a castle with a draw bridge dear :-P

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements