My VIDA SW Upgrade Experience
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 43
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Posts
      33

      My VIDA SW Upgrade Experience

      Just wanted to share my experience applying a total software upgrade to a SPA XC90 through VIDA:

      1. Created a new Volvo Tech Info user ID (https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....=user:register)
      2. Followed installation instructions, dowloaded, and ran the VIDA installer (https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....351EE6D0A531FF) on my tablet PC. It installs 4 apps, VIDA, VIDA Admin, VIDA Support, and DICE Diagnostics. The installation instructions are pretty good - walks through some of the same steps below although a few unclear steps along the way.
      3. Purchase VIDA subscription ( https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.....subscriptions). Since this was my first time using VIDA, I had to purchase an initial subscription to receive my VIDA user ID (note: this was a different user ID from my VTI user ID created in step 1). Selected 'VIDA for Independent Repair Shops'. Accepted license agreement. Selected 'VIDA' and clicked 'Start'. Selected '3D' (3-day) duration and all packages except for 'Standard Time' (there was a slight upcharge but I didn't think I needed it). Checked out.
      4. Received order confirmation from [email protected]. Waited for e-mail from [email protected] with VIDA user ID and temporary password. The instructions say not to login into VIDA with the temporary password supplied in the e-mail but to follow another link to change the initial password.
      5. After changing the initial password, I booted up the VIDA app. You have to link a subscription to the VIDA user ID, so instead of logging into VIDA, selected the 'Registration Guide for Subscription'. Entered VIDA login information. Selected the subscription and confirmed it.
      6. After linking the VIDA ID and subscription, I wasn't able to log in. After reading the installation instructions more carefully, it said to login to the VIDA Admin app. Logged into VIDA Admin. Selected DEVICE to change the PC that VIDA was running on to registered status. Then I had to select SUBSCRIPTION, selected the subscription ordered in previous steps, and in the right hand window, had to change the status to 'Active'.
      7. At this point I hooked up the battery maintainer to the engine compartment terminals. Had to flip a cover on the positive terminal. Connected that. Connected the black cable to the ground terminal which is located directly to the right of the positive terminal (uncovered). Plugged in the maintainer and set the voltage to 13V constant. VIDA picked up the voltage change and showed 13V coming through (vs. 12-12.4V on battery only).
      8. Connected the ODBII connector to the car, connected the ODBII interface to the PC, and logged into VIDA. Turned the vehicle into ignition I mode. The ODBII connector for some reason didn't feel all that secure. I pushed pretty hard but it still felt like there was more to go. I wasn't very confident that it was making a great connection. However, VIDA recognized the connection upon startup and I hit 'Connect' to connect to the vehicle.
      9. VIDA goes through a pretty long readout process to get information from all the control units. I would say, it took a good 3-5 minutes to get through the readout.
      10. Once the readout was complete. I checked to see if there were any fault codes. There were none.
      11. Navigated to SOFTWARE menu within VIDA. It showed right away there was a '*total upgrade' (P/N 31483292) available. I selected that, clicked purchase. I went through a few confirmation screens, then it kicked me out to the web browser. This is where you have to enter your VTI ID. I paid for the software through VTI. Something funny happened though, when I got the order confirmation screen and exited out of it, the software didn't download immediately. I thought I had messed something up. I had to look through the order queue and then I believe I had to manually select 'Download'. Then it asked me for my order number which was in an e-mail in my inbox.
      12. VIDA put the vehicle in programming mode, downloaded the software to the PC, then transferred that to the vehicle. In the process, the headlights and some of the lights in the dash flashed. When the control units were being updated, all of the interior dash screens, including Sensus went dark. The update from download to completion took about 45 minutes. The final screen says 'Download complete - the software has been downloaded to the vehicle. Carry out pre-delivery check before returning car to the customer. Select OK to finish the download sequence and to the close the tab.'

      Everything looks good! Costwise, it came out to about $107 - $74.60 for the 3-day subscription + $32.53 for the software (what!?? I thought this was complimentary! ) - oh, I had to buy the cable for $50 too - the rest of the equipment I had. Any SPA Volvo owners in the Chicago area want the latest SW upgrade for a nominal charge (my sub runs out Sunday... will have to sign a waiver though... lol)? Would I recommend this approach for others? Probably not, I'm sure a dealer could do this for $200-$250 without the risk of bricking your $55K+ vehicle. Anyways, I'm a tinkerer and for me it was an interesting learning experience. Plus I wanted to see what VIDA for SPA vehicles was all about.

      Equipment Used:
      2019 XC90 T8 R-Design | Onyx Black Metallic | 22" 5-Spoke Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Heat Package | Advanced Package | Air Suspension | B&W Sound | Factory Hitch

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      771
      Excellent post and write up. Thanks 👍
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    4. #3
      Junior Member beers's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Location
      SF Bay Area, U.S.
      Posts
      207
      Great writeup pekingduk, bookmarking this one for when I get the urge...
      2020 S60 PE, Matte Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      79
      +1 for later

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      731
      Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Excellent post and write up. Thanks
      +1!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

    8. #6
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,279
      Nice write up. A dealer should do this for one hour labor in case anyone doesn't want to do all this themselves.

    9. #7
      Junior Member taofen_wang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      581
      Stick to top please, it will help if someone wants to do the same.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription

    10. #8
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,279
      Quote Originally Posted by taofen_wang View Post
      Stick to top please, it will help if someone wants to do the same.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Thanks for your concern. He speculated on the price a dealer would charge. I clarified.

    11. #9
      Member inteller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Tulsa, OK
      Posts
      8,342
      the cable not feeling connected has been a complaint in my shop too. I dont know if the cable is made poorly or the odb socket is too shallow, but either way the feel of it like it is about to fall off is not confidence inspiring.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

    12. #10
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,279
      Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      the cable not feeling connected has been a complaint in my shop too. I dont know if the cable is made poorly or the odb socket is too shallow, but either way the feel of it like it is about to fall off is not confidence inspiring.
      Are you using the actual adapter Volvo recommends or the one referenced in this post? The one Volvo recommends hasn't been an issue for me.

    13. #11
      Member inteller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Tulsa, OK
      Posts
      8,342
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Are you using the actual adapter Volvo recommends or the one referenced in this post? The one Volvo recommends hasn't been an issue for me.
      at one time, the one referenced above was the one Volvo recommended very early on. Looking at 9513108 I see what Volvo has done is separate the RJ45 from the device, so now you would introduce another element that can fail. We have to use a USB to ethernet adapter because most modern laptops lack dedicated ethernet ports.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

    14. #12
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,279
      Not sure the number we use, but Volvo recommends using a USB to Ethernet adapter now. Some Ethernet cards didn't work well with VIDA. So we use a USB to Ethernet adapter into an Ethernet cable into the VOE adapter. It's the black and red one, not the black and blue one they started with early on.

    15. #13
      Member inteller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Tulsa, OK
      Posts
      8,342
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Not sure the number we use, but Volvo recommends using a USB to Ethernet adapter now. Some Ethernet cards didn't work well with VIDA. So we use a USB to Ethernet adapter into an Ethernet cable into the VOE adapter. It's the black and red one, not the black and blue one they started with early on.
      yeah it seems early on they were throwing everything out there to see what sticks early on.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Posts
      297
      Silly that one would have to jump through this many hoops just to upgrade their software. Tesla updates it while you sleep and notifies you next time you get in.

    17. #15
      Member drmanny3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Santa Barbara, CA, USA
      Posts
      1,019
      Quote Originally Posted by pekingduk View Post
      Just wanted to share my experience applying a total software upgrade to a SPA XC90 through VIDA:

      1. Created a new Volvo Tech Info user ID (https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....=user:register)
      2. Followed installation instructions, dowloaded, and ran the VIDA installer (https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....351EE6D0A531FF) on my tablet PC. It installs 4 apps, VIDA, VIDA Admin, VIDA Support, and DICE Diagnostics. The installation instructions are pretty good - walks through some of the same steps below although a few unclear steps along the way.
      3. Purchase VIDA subscription ( https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.....subscriptions). Since this was my first time using VIDA, I had to purchase an initial subscription to receive my VIDA user ID (note: this was a different user ID from my VTI user ID created in step 1). Selected 'VIDA for Independent Repair Shops'. Accepted license agreement. Selected 'VIDA' and clicked 'Start'. Selected '3D' (3-day) duration and all packages except for 'Standard Time' (there was a slight upcharge but I didn't think I needed it). Checked out.
      4. Received order confirmation from [email protected]. Waited for e-mail from [email protected] with VIDA user ID and temporary password. The instructions say not to login into VIDA with the temporary password supplied in the e-mail but to follow another link to change the initial password.
      5. After changing the initial password, I booted up the VIDA app. You have to link a subscription to the VIDA user ID, so instead of logging into VIDA, selected the 'Registration Guide for Subscription'. Entered VIDA login information. Selected the subscription and confirmed it.
      6. After linking the VIDA ID and subscription, I wasn't able to log in. After reading the installation instructions more carefully, it said to login to the VIDA Admin app. Logged into VIDA Admin. Selected DEVICE to change the PC that VIDA was running on to registered status. Then I had to select SUBSCRIPTION, selected the subscription ordered in previous steps, and in the right hand window, had to change the status to 'Active'.
      7. At this point I hooked up the battery maintainer to the engine compartment terminals. Had to flip a cover on the positive terminal. Connected that. Connected the black cable to the ground terminal which is located directly to the right of the positive terminal (uncovered). Plugged in the maintainer and set the voltage to 13V constant. VIDA picked up the voltage change and showed 13V coming through (vs. 12-12.4V on battery only).
      8. Connected the ODBII connector to the car, connected the ODBII interface to the PC, and logged into VIDA. Turned the vehicle into ignition I mode. The ODBII connector for some reason didn't feel all that secure. I pushed pretty hard but it still felt like there was more to go. I wasn't very confident that it was making a great connection. However, VIDA recognized the connection upon startup and I hit 'Connect' to connect to the vehicle.
      9. VIDA goes through a pretty long readout process to get information from all the control units. I would say, it took a good 3-5 minutes to get through the readout.
      10. Once the readout was complete. I checked to see if there were any fault codes. There were none.
      11. Navigated to SOFTWARE menu within VIDA. It showed right away there was a '*total upgrade' (P/N 31483292) available. I selected that, clicked purchase. I went through a few confirmation screens, then it kicked me out to the web browser. This is where you have to enter your VTI ID. I paid for the software through VTI. Something funny happened though, when I got the order confirmation screen and exited out of it, the software didn't download immediately. I thought I had messed something up. I had to look through the order queue and then I believe I had to manually select 'Download'. Then it asked me for my order number which was in an e-mail in my inbox.
      12. VIDA put the vehicle in programming mode, downloaded the software to the PC, then transferred that to the vehicle. In the process, the headlights and some of the lights in the dash flashed. When the control units were being updated, all of the interior dash screens, including Sensus went dark. The update from download to completion took about 45 minutes. The final screen says 'Download complete - the software has been downloaded to the vehicle. Carry out pre-delivery check before returning car to the customer. Select OK to finish the download sequence and to the close the tab.'

      Everything looks good! Costwise, it came out to about $107 - $74.60 for the 3-day subscription + $32.53 for the software (what!?? I thought this was complimentary! ) - oh, I had to buy the cable for $50 too - the rest of the equipment I had. Any SPA Volvo owners in the Chicago area want the latest SW upgrade for a nominal charge (my sub runs out Sunday... will have to sign a waiver though... lol)? Would I recommend this approach for others? Probably not, I'm sure a dealer could do this for $200-$250 without the risk of bricking your $55K+ vehicle. Anyways, I'm a tinkerer and for me it was an interesting learning experience. Plus I wanted to see what VIDA for SPA vehicles was all about.

      Equipment Used:
      Excellent write up. You left out the fact that during the process for the first time you have to wipe your brow often as the sweat due to stress is high. It was actually fun the last time around. It also takes a good WiFi signal. I used an HP i7 laptop with ethernet. I also set the charger to 13.5 volts. Makes me remember when I had a real job (1986) and was in Germany talking with Bosh about Sensor technology. We surmised that someday computers would be a major factor in automotive technology. Boy has that come along.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Posts
      33
      Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      Excellent write up. You left out the fact that during the process for the first time you have to wipe your brow often as the sweat due to stress is high. It was actually fun the last time around. It also takes a good WiFi signal. I used an HP i7 laptop with ethernet. I also set the charger to 13.5 volts. Makes me remember when I had a real job (1986) and was in Germany talking with Bosh about Sensor technology. We surmised that someday computers would be a major factor in automotive technology. Boy has that come along.
      For sure! I kept a close eye on the process. Checked and double checked that my connections were solid and that all the cables (i.e battery charge cord, AC adapters, ODB cable, etc.) were out of the way so someone didn't accidentally hit and disconnect them. During the download process, I was periodically monitoring the process - there were a few moments where the progress bar wasn't moving for a minute or two which had me a little concerned. Now that I know what to expect, will definitely be much less stressful the next time around.
      2019 XC90 T8 R-Design | Onyx Black Metallic | 22" 5-Spoke Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Heat Package | Advanced Package | Air Suspension | B&W Sound | Factory Hitch

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      58
      Awesome write up! I guess lots of us will need it in the future since Volvo cancelled the complimentary software upgrade. Thanks!

      Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription + Polestar, Convenience, Air suspension

    20. #18
      Member inteller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Tulsa, OK
      Posts
      8,342
      Quote Originally Posted by Kh0805 View Post
      Silly that one would have to jump through this many hoops just to upgrade their software. Tesla updates it while you sleep and notifies you next time you get in.
      Tesla's process was engineered from the ground up that no dealerships would be involved. Volvo's, not so. Tesla's process HAS to work that smoothly, there is no dealer to tow your car to when it bricks.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

    21. #19
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,545
      Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      Tesla's process was engineered from the ground up that no dealerships would be involved. Volvo's, not so. Tesla's process HAS to work that smoothly, there is no dealer to tow your car to when it bricks.
      You can bet Volvo also wants to reduce customer visits to dealership out of scheduled service. It is just they couldn't afford the time making the software robust enough to download and install itself before start selling them.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 08-24-2019 at 06:04 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    22. #20
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      750
      Amazing post, thanks OP! Mods - please make this a sticky.
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Location
      Jacksonville, fl
      Posts
      205
      Great job I was wondering did it ask you use an Volvo approved usb device
      My upgrade crashed because of this?

    24. #22
      Member inteller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Tulsa, OK
      Posts
      8,342
      Hes not doing map or entertainment updates, doesnt use usb.

      Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Location
      Jacksonville, fl
      Posts
      205
      Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      Hes not doing map or entertainment updates, doesnt use usb.

      Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      I understood it was any update over a certain size.
      Wish I knew how to get by using the Volvo usb.

    26. #24
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,279
      Quote Originally Posted by CJ2 View Post
      I understood it was any update over a certain size.
      Wish I knew how to get by using the Volvo usb.
      You are referring to something totally different for a different car.

    27. #25
      Junior Member dpokluda's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2014
      Posts
      53
      Thank you for the write-up. Super well written. Thanks.
      2020 V60 Cross Country – Denim Blue/Charcoal, Advanced, Heated seats & steering wheel, 19'' wheels
      2018 XC60 T5 Inscription – Osmium Gray/Charcoal, Convenience, Vision, Heated front seats & steering wheel, 20'' wheels

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      Auckland,New Zealand
      Posts
      1
      Very interesting. Thank you.

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      8
      Excellent write up, saving this for later.

    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      780
      Can anyone confirm whether a 30amp battery maintainer will work for these sw updates? This is on an otherwise fully charged and healthy battery.

      Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Posts
      35
      Quote Originally Posted by pekingduk View Post
      Just wanted to share my experience applying a total software upgrade to a SPA XC90 through VIDA:

      Thanks for the great write-up. Previous to this update, when was it the last time your car was updated? Did VIDA show you which modules were updated and the version numbers and or release dates? I'm also curious to know what the latest versions dates were, If available. Thanks again!

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Posts
      112
      I guess you can flash polestar through this too? Wondering what is the software cost on that.

    33. #31
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,279
      Quote Originally Posted by kevintinple View Post
      I guess you can flash polestar through this too? Wondering what is the software cost on that.
      Probably around $1100.

    34. #32
      Member drmanny3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Santa Barbara, CA, USA
      Posts
      1,019
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Can anyone confirm whether a 30amp battery maintainer will work for these sw updates? This is on an otherwise fully charged and healthy battery.

      Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
      My concern is that this is primarily a charger for starting a weak battery. The trickle amount is probably too low. I went with an inverter that provides a continuous 13.5 volt load on the battery. The amperage of the unit I have goes up to 100 amps which is really overkill. What you do not want is for the 12 volt battery to drop down in output before the charger kicks in. This could result in the software not loading properly. You can get a 55 amp inverter which should easily do the job for about the same price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Max-R...4AAOSwwtdb4Hc2
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      780
      Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      My concern is that this is primarily a charger for starting a weak battery. The trickle amount is probably too low. I went with an inverter that provides a continuous 13.5 volt load on the battery. The amperage of the unit I have goes up to 100 amps which is really overkill. What you do not want is for the 12 volt battery to drop down in output before the charger kicks in. This could result in the software not loading properly. You can get a 55 amp inverter which should easily do the job for about the same price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Max-R...4AAOSwwtdb4Hc2
      Thanks for the link. Which one do you actually use? And how are you attaching yours to the battery?

    36. #34
      Member drmanny3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Santa Barbara, CA, USA
      Posts
      1,019
      I have the 100 amp unit, as I did not think it was that much more expensive then the lower amp units. So I have a lot of bandwidth so to speak. I am using either a 10 or 8 gage wire from the unit to the battery via the front engine bay. There you will find a place where if necessary you can jump the battery. It is specifically designated as + and - That is how the techs hook up. I run the unit at 13.5 volts and the amperage will adjust based upon the draw of the system. During upgrade process often various components of the car will start up consuming energy. That is why you want to have a steady backup to the battery. I hook it up first before running VIDA. So far no problems what so ever.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

    37. #35
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      780
      Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      I have the 100 amp unit, as I did not think it was that much more expensive then the lower amp units. So I have a lot of bandwidth so to speak. I am using either a 10 or 8 gage wire from the unit to the battery via the front engine bay. There you will find a place where if necessary you can jump the battery. It is specifically designated as + and - That is how the techs hook up. I run the unit at 13.5 volts and the amperage will adjust based upon the draw of the system. During upgrade process often various components of the car will start up consuming energy. That is why you want to have a steady backup to the battery. I hook it up first before running VIDA. So far no problems what so ever.
      Got it, so you're running plain 8-10 gauge wiring, but it's not as if the unit you bought came with some sort of jumper-like cables similar to what the DeWalt unit has. I was just trying to understand if the one you bought was basically ready to use right out of the box.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Active high beam, SW upgrade for USA?
      By shadowlord in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 01-29-2018, 01:35 PM
    2. November SW Update (for those with currently stable SW):
      By Skitruckmaskin in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 275
      Last Post: 05-19-2016, 08:13 AM
    3. AC going nuts after SW upgrade
      By dali in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 12-22-2004, 02:40 PM
    4. SW Upgrade suspension
      By JARMO in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 08-09-2003, 03:58 PM
    5. SW upgrade shockabsorber R-line because of sound.
      By JARMO in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: 07-30-2003, 11:31 AM