Distance to empty seems inaccurate - why?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Distance to empty seems inaccurate - why?

So I have noticed that the range to empty calculation below the tachometer space on the display has never shown accurate information. I can't figure out why that is the case. On the current tank of gas I am averaging 41.4 mpg, have 1/2 tank left and traveled 395 miles so far. By my calculations I have used 9.5 gallons so I would expect to see my range to empty to be around 372 miles. What I see is 138. Why? What is the computer calculating that figure off of?
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

estimated fuel remaining X last 20 miles average. unfortunately it is not accurate due to the short average fuel economy it uses for math if that makes any sense. example: if you drive in town at 15mpg and fill tank with 20gal fuel, it will read 300 miles to empty. get on the highway for a while and average 30mpg but fuel level is 10gal, will still read 300 miles to empty. obviously 10gal fuel was used, why would range stay same? poor math.

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...-Manual-v3.pdf

pg 92
      Last edited by brich999; 03-09-2020 at 08:47 AM.

So based on that explanation I wonder if the range to empty calculation is so off because when I have been driving, most of my drive time has been in EV only mode and when the ICE engine does fire up, it is when I am asking for more throttle than the EV can provide, which means it is in a less fuel efficient mode by default. Then when the EV batteries are depleted and the ICE is engaged again for continued running, there is additional drag from the the batteries getting charged up. In this mode the ICE engine is running nearly continuously (depending on the mode I am in), and it is also charging the batteries which makes it the least efficient running. So if the range to empty is calculated on when the ICE engine is running only, it is calculating off the least efficient running mode. I hope what I am saying makes sense. Am I right, wrong or partially right/wrong?
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

When ICE is running, it charges battery when in power or Instant AWD mode, or when you turn on "charge" option. It doesn't charge battery much in hybrid or pure mode.

The MTE number doesn't change or only change slightly if ICE is not running. It is useful when you go long trip, not useful for in town trip on EV and it is plugged in nightly.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements