Haldex cleanout
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Haldex cleanout

Haldex cleanout

I'm planning to change the oil and filter in my Haldex unit again. Some folks here have mentioned flushing the oil cavities and filter area when doing this. I'd like to do that this time, and would appreciate any advice on:

- opening up the necessary ports and channels to allow access
      - what type of fluid you use for the flush
      - how to ensure the debris and fluid used for flush are fully purged

I have a high quality fluid syringe, and the appropriate Volvo fluid, filter, etc.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Jumping onto this, if anyone has any techniques to get the Haldex fill plug off, it’d be appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did this job I just sucked out what I could, replaced the filter, and put new fluid back in. A pain because there's no drain, but I figure it's better than nothing and I didn't want to drive myself crazy with repeated fill and sucks.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JTF1228 View Post
      Jumping onto this, if anyone has any techniques to get the Haldex fill plug off, it’d be appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I used a relatively short (8" long) metric 12 point ratcheting wrench ( the one that puts pressure on each side of the corner, not on the corner itself), and stuck a long metal pry bar in there against the floor of the car, and pulled downwards on the wrench- the crack of separation is satisfying but you'll need some bodyweight behind you at the very least.

Only way I could see that happening for clearing out fluid and debris is to short remove the pump, clean the screen on it, reinstall, and short it with power and force it to run and circulate fluid, keep pushing fresh fluid in. Could undo the filter and use that as your exit point too...
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Only way I could see that happening for clearing out fluid and debris is to short remove the pump, clean the screen on it, reinstall, and short it with power and force it to run and circulate fluid, keep pushing fresh fluid in. Could undo the filter and use that as your exit point too...
      Did some research on this last night.

Removing the pump is too much work, to get it out you have to remove the driveshaft and pull the companion flange.

Removing the DEM module, and then the throttle valve and temperature/pressure sensor, will allow purging additional fluid, but not a lot, and it risks dinging an o-ring or getting dirt where you really don't want it. So, too risky just for maintenance.

But removing the filter could work. It appears that the Gen 3 Haldex pump runs, at least at low output, whenever the engine is running. This pumps directly to the filter, and from there into the valve body and clutch. So with the filter out and the chamber open, in theory oil can be pumped out by the DEM itself.

So my plan is to crack the fill port, remove the filter, and stick a 1 1/2" OD tube into the filter hole. Then, power up the car and see what comes out. If not much, well, then use the syringe like before, through the fill port. Hopefully half the oil can be extracted that way, that's about what I got the first time.

I really don't want to remove *all* the oil. That would require repriming the clutch pack, etc. Using the pump means it only purges the suction side, which is good.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Success - the approach of using the internal pump does definitely remove a significant amount of fluid. I used a two-step process:

- removed the filter, stuck a piece of 1 1/4" O.D. tubing (1 1/2" would have been better) in the opening, put a pan under it and started the engine. The pump runs, albeit slowly, and about 8 or 10 ounces came out.

- used a floppy piece of thin tubing and a good syringe to remove remaining fluid in the reservoir through the fill plug. Had to go at it from several angles, but got about 6 more ounces.

At that point, it looked like this:
      MVIMG_20190831_144947.jpg

No, that isn't beer on the left, it's the fresh fluid ready to go in, compare it to what came out! But, the old fluid really wasn't terrible, it had some black debris but not a lot. The filter was not loaded either. Those are 8-ounce cups, so, about 12 or 14 ounces out. I replaced with a bit over 16 before it dribbled, then pulled back a small amount. Rated capacity is 0.8 liter, about 27 ounces, so well over half replaced.

The unit definitely works better now. I think the level was a little low, and obviously it flows a lot more freely. The faint groaning noise it made when taking off with the steering wheel turned sharply, is gone. Glad I could get so much out.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements