DOT4 brake fluid. Any specific brand of DOT4 brake fluid to look for?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

DOT4 brake fluid. Any specific brand of DOT4 brake fluid to look for?

I bought motor oil and coolant. All that is left now is to buy some brake fluid for my 2018 S60 (4 cylinder) Polestar.

According to a post by the Polestar rep, he notes it is same as "standard" Volvos. Hydraulan 404-1 BASF, DOT4
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post3911489
      Quote Originally Posted by PolestarOfficial View Post
      Hi The_Placebo_Jeffect,

The brake fluid is the same as the standard cars, meaning Hydraulan 404-1 BASF, DOT4.

Kind regards,
      Polestar

Any specific DOT4 brake fluid (brand) I should look for?
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I like Ate Blue because it is easy to tell when the new stuff is coming out of the drain tube. I do one change with Ate Blue and the next with Castrol LMA.

Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      I bought motor oil and coolant. All that is left now is to buy some brake fluid for my 2018 S60 (4 cylinder) Polestar.

According to a post by the Polestar rep, he notes it is same as "standard" Volvos. Hydraulan 404-1 BASF, DOT4
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post3911489

Any specific DOT4 brake fluid (brand) I should look for?
      Save your money, I use Autozone DOT4 and flush every 3 years. "Never" had a brake fluid related problem. and I keep my cars for 15-20 years.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

How often do you plan on bleeding the fluid out?
      If your going to do it on a regular basis, dont live in a super muggy area but drive the car hard, look closer at a higher dry boiling point fluid. If you garage the car for long periods or dont plan on swapping fluid seasonally but rather every few years , than a higher wet boiling point will be more appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2008 Volvo C30:
      Darton wet sleeves|CP Carrillo pistons&rods|Upgraded injectors|K16 turbo|3"downpipe|ELEVATE:cat back|custom intake|turbo intercooler hard pipe|lower motor mount|turbo blanket|intake plenum|downpipe wrap|dual bypass valve|lowering springs|rear camber arms|do88 FMIC|Porche 70mm TB|BMC air filter|MAF upgrade|Turbosmart waste gate|meth injection|IPD brake lines|NGK iridium 1 step colder|APR head studs|AEM AFR/Boost Gauge|Hilton Tuning

The differences between dot4s are overall nominal when considered for daily driving.

2008 Volvo C30:
      Darton wet sleeves|CP Carrillo pistons&rods|Upgraded injectors|K16 turbo|3"downpipe|ELEVATE:cat back|custom intake|turbo intercooler hard pipe|lower motor mount|turbo blanket|intake plenum|downpipe wrap|dual bypass valve|lowering springs|rear camber arms|do88 FMIC|Porche 70mm TB|BMC air filter|MAF upgrade|Turbosmart waste gate|meth injection|IPD brake lines|NGK iridium 1 step colder|APR head studs|AEM AFR/Boost Gauge|Hilton Tuning

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the helpful feedback.
      To answer the question, this is just to top it off in case the level (somehow) gets low, which I have never had happen with any of my prior cars, but prefer to be safe...

In forty years of driving, I've never needed to "top off" my brake fluid. I would think that if you need to add brake fluid, something is wrong.

Back in my track driving days, I'd change brake fluid four or five times a year. Then I had kids so fun was reduced dramatically so I went to once a year.
      Last edited by Yaworski; 08-31-2019 at 04:47 PM.

I concur

2008 Volvo C30:

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Yaworski View Post
      In forty years of driving, I've never needed to "top off" my brake fluid. I would think that if you need to add brake fluid, something is wrong.

Back in my track driving days, I'd change brake fluid four or five times a year. Then I had kids so fun was reduced dramatically so I went to once a year.
      Thanks. To clarify, I have not had to top off my brake fluid in my Polestar, was just trying to be cautious, not knowing if the P* uses more fluid.

Agreed, I also don't recall having to add brake fluid over the years in any of my cars. I recall buying brake fluid years ago, but honestly may not have ever used it; if I did, it would have been many years ago and at most once.

Brake fluid level naturally goes down as the brake pads wear. Replace the pads and it will be right up again - it should absolutely not get "used up" or leak anywhere.

For the guy that recommended ATE Blue - I used to use it too, but it was banned in North America several years ago as a blue fluid doesn't meet DOT standards.

Pentosin Super DOT 4 is what I've been using lately.

Same here.

2008 Volvo C30:

Quote Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
      Brake fluid level naturally goes down as the brake pads wear. Replace the pads and it will be right up again - it should absolutely not get "used up" or leak anywhere.

For the guy that recommended ATE Blue - I used to use it too, but it was banned in North America several years ago as a blue fluid doesn't meet DOT standards.

Pentosin Super DOT 4 is what I've been using lately.
      Thanks for sharing the specific fluid you use and also for confirming that brake fluid should not get used up during normal use.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaworski View Post
      +1
      2015.5 #39 BSM V60 Polestar arrived 11-24-2014
      2004 V70R GT: SOLD Silver+Nordkap, Premium Sound+Subwoofer, Motorola BT, iMIV, IPD Stage II - DP - HDTCV, Kelly CAI, BMC, 10MM Spacers, Volvo DEM heat shield, '06 V70R console

Quote Originally Posted by TexasV60P View Post
      +1
      Same here.
      I have another car (not volvo) for race track and always used Motul RBF 600. Flush it at least yearly or after a long driving session.
      I never topped any of my car with brake fluid.
      IF you have to do it, you have a leak and this can lead to major issue/accident. be careful
      2016 V60 T5 2.0 FWD Premier Onyx Black Metallic: : BLIS | ERST Intake | IPD Rear Sway Bar | IPD F&R End Links | Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod | RD Suspension | IPD Skid Plate | Volvo Cap Mirror Satin Presentation
      Sold 2008 S40 2.4 FWD - Grey Metallic | K&N Filter | B4 & Koni Suspension

Monthly Seattle, WA: Meet and Greet Topic: HERE

Thanks again all!
      Just to clarify, my brake fluid level is fine. I was only going to proactively get some brake fluid to have on hand if needed to top it off; I now know that (needing to top if off) should never be the case in normal use unless there is a leak or other issue.
      That explains why I do not recall EVER having to top off the brake fluid on any of my cars, past or present.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements