04 V70R auto trans, where is the dipstick?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

04 V70R auto trans, where is the dipstick?

I recently found a large, unnerving oily spot on my driveway. I didn't notice it until after I moved the car so I can't tell exactly where it came from. It hasn't evaporated so that rules out AC water, it's oily and when I pushed a paper towel onto it it left a pinkish spot not unlike trans fluid. I know my trans has some leaky seals and attempted to have them replaced a couple months ago when I got my trans flushed but the shop said they weren't bad enough to replace. They said it wasn't a leak, but a seep. I've had no other spots like this. I wanted to check my trans fluid but I can't locate the damn dipstick. I've looked everywhere including under the air filter box.
      [IMG]IMG_0007 by brandon harder, on Flickr[/IMG]
      Last edited by brandonharderart; 08-30-2019 at 11:36 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It is located under the throttle body inlet pipe.

This can be a pain because you are supposed to check trans fluid when running and up to temp. Wear a long sleeve shirt and glove, get your arm under the pipe going to the throttle body, it is a blind feel kind of situation. Try to find it cold first so you know where it is.... I have put a start in the where abouts in the picture I stole of the google...

Last edited by kTaLgsTo; 08-30-2019 at 01:08 PM. Reason: my dumb brain

Lol, its buried.. under the air box and intake pipe. You can get it out easier when the air box is removed. Small yellow stick
      2005 S60R | DRag 18" DR34, ET40 (838) | 235 Thunderer Mach IV 302 | Delrin | PowerStop | Eibach | Fixed/replaced everything at my shop, just rolled 185k, like new. Original engine, trans, & drivetrain.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Is there a warning light/message if the trans/diff/angle gear fluid runs low similar to the low oil message? And does anyone have thoughts on what would cause a large fluid dump like that with no other spots?

Your warning light for low trans fluid would be a transmission service message along with hard shifts and shift flares. So no not really...

I would check the cooler lines going into the radiator.

Large dump? Trans cooler clip broken/leaking or possibly where it attaches to the transmission (o-ring)...If I had to guess its probably the valve body cover.

Thats probably only tablespoon or two worth of fluid that has spread out like that..Still enough to warrant repair.

"the google" LOL
      Can't do this with an 05-07 though, right? I've never seen mine if it's there but know where it is on the s60 and the XC.
      Quote Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
      It is located under the throttle body inlet pipe.
      This can be a pain because you are supposed to check trans fluid when running and up to temp. Wear a long sleeve shirt and glove, get your arm under the pipe going to the throttle body, it is a blind feel kind of situation. Try to find it cold first so you know where it is.... I have put a start in the where abouts in the picture I stole of the google...
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Oops, you just had the trans "Flushed" so they had the lines off the radiator.
      2005 S60R | DRag 18" DR34, ET40 (838) | 235 Thunderer Mach IV 302 | Delrin | PowerStop | Eibach | Fixed/replaced everything at my shop, just rolled 185k, like new. Original engine, trans, & drivetrain.

Just wanted to update this. The leak seems to only occur when I park in my steep-ass driveway. I typically park in the street because my parking brake is broken but the two times I recently parked in the driveway I had large oil spots under the transmission area of the car. The driveway is uphill FYI. I was able to check the fluid after everyones help (what a PITA!) and it was at a satisfactory level. If it was low, how do you add fluid? Sorry for the amateur questions, it's been a while since I've owned an automatic. I haven't been under the car since all this but I am taking it to the dealer for an alignment here soon and I'm going to have them take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonharderart View Post
      Just wanted to update this. The leak seems to only occur when I park in my steep-ass driveway. I typically park in the street because my parking brake is broken but the two times I recently parked in the driveway I had large oil spots under the transmission area of the car. The driveway is uphill FYI. I was able to check the fluid after everyones help (what a PITA!) and it was at a satisfactory level. If it was low, how do you add fluid? Sorry for the amateur questions, it's been a while since I've owned an automatic. I haven't been under the car since all this but I am taking it to the dealer for an alignment here soon and I'm going to have them take a look.
      Use something like this:
      https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-ga...nel/557785_0_0

And add something like this on the end, I use an air fitting... It's already on hand, and does the same job, just something rigid on the end of the hose to put into the dipstick spout.

https://www.toolsid.com/lokar/transm...pn-s-3026.html

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements