I recently joined the forum as I just purchased my first Volvo. Our family had a single car and I wanted to get a car for myself that met the following criteria:
- Same or larger than our 2014 Mazda3
- AWD for the winter
- Manual - I have never driven manual before
- Leather seats
- Fun to drive
- Something I can tinker with (oil change, replace some worn parts) Since we have the second car I am OK if this isn't driveable for a few days
Originally I was looking for something like a Subaru Legacy GT or VW Wagon. I ended up stumbling across what appeared to me as a fairly well maintained V50 T5 AWD.
2010 V50 T5 AWD M66
Passion Red (612)
Quartz interrior (I think that is the colour name)
I am not sure about all the options on the car but it does have the following (some may be standard, forgive my ignorance):
- Heated Seats
- Dual climate control
- Auto-dimming mirror
- Leather seats
- Those funky auto-turning headlights
- High-Performance Audio (USB, Aux-in, Sat radio)
- Rain Sensor wipers
- BLISS, Heated and Auto folding mirrors
It seems to drive nicely, I have had a few more experienced manual drivers try it out for me. I am still learning but can get around fine so far.
Some cosmetic upgrades I have or will purchase shortly:
- Rear spoiler (Volvo)
- Mud Flaps (Volvo)
- License Plate Cover (Volvo)
- Rear license plate mount (rusted)
- Replace missing rear tow hook cover
- Skid plate (engine cover, I purchased a plastic one for now. The car did not come with one which feels very bad especially with the salt here in the winter).
I would like some input as to how I can help maintain this car, preventative maintenance etc.
Timing belt was changed at 195K KM in Nov 2018 according to the sticker.
Oil was lat changed at 203K and looks clean still.
Items I think need replacing:
- Engine Air Filter (Done, the old one was very dirty)
- Cabin Air Filter (Not looking forward to this after looking at how it is done, should receive it next week).
- I think the boost tubing needs to be replaced as the rubber parts are starting to shed rubber when rubbed by hand.
- The boost hard pipe is corroded, not sure how cosmetic this is or if it should be replaced as well (do88? with new intercooler)
- I think I may replace all the coolant tubes as well to silicone (IPD?)
- Spark plugs? Or should I wait until I think something is wrong?
- Passenger side motor mount is soft/squishy and needs replacing. I will purchase all 3.
- There is some kind of shielding over the steering that is completely rusted out
- The car came with "new" brake rotors/pads and tires (Uniroyal...) I took a look at the brake fluid and there is clearly some particles in there so they did not flush the system. I will do a brake flush.
- Oil + Filter I will change
Pics of the car: https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6PazUcRuoL7ns1z8