2010 V50 T5 AWD M66 first Volvo, first manual - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Finished a trip this past week up to my parent's cottage. About 1800km total going there/back and driving around.

So I think the steering wheel moving over bumps at low speed is not really an issue. I might have only noticed it since I had changed all the suspension components and it is a bit stiffer now, it feels good after putting some km on it. I have a small clunking noise when moving slowly and turning the wheel slightly, comes from the passenger side. Either end links (as I installed my old ones) or maybe I screwed up the strut bearing. I will take a look tomorrow.

Happy to say no issues the whole trip, car was awesome on the many large hills. Rear shocks seemed good even with a lot of junk in the trunk and two dogs, I still have them set to what MNIWT had suggested in his video. Front is still set to 1/2 turn away from the softest setting, I am happy with it.

Right before I left I notice my steering wheel had a vibration at ~100km/hr. Hadn't really driven that fast since the alignment etc. I had the wheels balanced a few hours before we left and it was great. The only vibration was during braking at about 120km/hr down a steep hill (cars in front were braking, otherwise I would have just coasted). I guess rotors may be slightly warped which I hear is common. I don't think it is much of an issue yet, and I know the place I bought the car from likely installed the cheapest pads/rotors they could find.

Borrowed a friend's thule cargo box as well for more space (really wishing for a V70 or something now but prices seem crazy).

I used to feel that butt push back when accelerating hard in 3rd gear, it seems to be wearing off and I and I am just getting more used to it. I think Stage 1 tune might be in order.

The only other minor issue that might be related to the cargo box is that the sat radio kept cutting out.

IMG_20200901_162953.jpg
      Last edited by sirloins; 09-08-2020 at 07:33 PM.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      The car is looking great. Glad to hear it's running nicely. I, and many others on the forum, have had good luck with Zimmerman rotors. Unfortunately they don't have a zinc coated version for the 320mm brake rotors.

We took ours on a trip to Killarney a couple of weeks ago. Wish it was as well sorted as yours!

Today decided to try and tackle some fender rust.

When I bought the car it was rusting on the fender. The place I bought it from said they would repair it, rather than reduce the price of the car... I knew they were not going to do a great job.

I started with 60 grit and sanded all the bubbling paint to reveal what was underneath... It was not pretty.

This is basically how it looked after 1 year of their repair. I think it was already too rusted to really just sand, fill and paint.. (Sorry I had started sanding before I took the picture).
      PXL_20200912_193621651.jpg

PXL_20200912_201756066.jpg

I saw rock auto has a brand new fender for $190CDN. Shipping to Canada is $450! I think tomorrow I will go to the local u-pull place and see if there is a decent fender without rust all the way through.

I do have a welder and could try to fix this by cutting out the rust, but I think if I can find a cheap one in better shape it will save me a ton of time.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Rust-free fenders are plentiful in the southern US. I'm sure someone would ship one for less than $450, they can't be that heavy

Thanks!

I will check out tomorrow whether or not the ones locally are any good. I would then take them to a body shop to be painted I think and install myself.

If anyone else needs any parts that I could look out for let me know. I will see if there are any haldex modules on the XC90's they have as well.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by sirloins View Post
      Thanks!

I will check out tomorrow whether or not the ones locally are any good. I would then take them to a body shop to be painted I think and install myself.

If anyone else needs any parts that I could look out for let me know. I will see if there are any haldex modules on the XC90's they have as well.
      I would send you a fender if I could get across the border. I have a good one on the parts car. Glück.

Yours is a very comprehensive thread and a pleasure to read. I am convinced by you to purchase the blue silicone coolant hoses for my 2005 V50 T5 AWD manual.
      However ipd is currently out of stock. These other Viva guys are offering a similar kit for $30 more and a long shipping delay.
      Is this the same kit?
      Is there a third alternative?
      Do you imagine IPD restocks quickly?
      Thanks for all your writeups.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks J5T, I went to the junk yard today. Out of the 3 compatible cars they had, one was missing the fenders, one was worse than mine and the third had less rust than mine and in a different spot (more at the bottom near the driver door). I took them and will see if they are repairable. Practice my painting etc.

dave533i, Thanks for the kind words. I have not ordered from IPD in almost a year now I think. I am not sure how fast they get stock back in, I'm sure you could contact them and see. When I received mine it was missing the metal barbs to connect the overflow (long thin hoses) and they never got back to me about shipping me replacements.. I doubt this is a common occurrence though..

The ones from Viva are DO88 and in my view would be just as good if not better than the IPD ones, they make great stuff as far as I have experience (I bought their intercooler). They ship from Sweden I think and when I ordered from them at the beginning of this pandemic it arrived via DHL fairly quickly (but had to pay tax etc on import). They do seem to have the hoses in stock on their website, https://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/hose...04-/index.html so I would guess Viva just doesn't have any in stock and would be ordering from them directly and then shipping to you hence the delay.

I don't know if there is a third alternative for these parts, the other place I have ordered from is FCPEuro, but they don't seem to have silicone hoses for our car.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Well the donor fender is also slightly rusted, not as bad as mine and I think I will use this as a learning experience.

The current plan is to cut this piece out of my fender and weld in the same piece from the donor.

Screenshot 2020-09-14 154040.jpg

I have no idea what I am getting myself into.. The lighter patch of red and that line was where the previous shop had painted over the clear bra/plastic on the fender. I removed it as I will need to paint the whole thing at this point.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Made some progress on this fender...

Rusted piece cut out:
      PXL_20200916_170501544.jpg

New piece cut from junk yard fender:
      PXL_20200916_181352656.jpg

The next step is to do some practice on that junkyard panel then butt weld it in place.
      Last edited by sirloins; 09-16-2020 at 01:37 PM.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by dave533i View Post
      Yours is a very comprehensive thread and a pleasure to read. I am convinced by you to purchase the blue silicone coolant hoses for my 2005 V50 T5 AWD manual.
      However ipd is currently out of stock. These other Viva guys are offering a similar kit for $30 more and a long shipping delay.
      Is this the same kit?
      Is there a third alternative?
      Do you imagine IPD restocks quickly?
      Thanks for all your writeups.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      I got mine from eurosporttuning. They are in Oakville Ontario

I have a theory that all the silicone products for our cars are produced at the same place, and then they are just branded by where they go. They all are the same thickness and the same layer count, which is the first thing that clued me in. If you can find one available, I'd get it, even $30 more, they're well worth having. DO88, iPD, and one more escapes me but they all have the hose kits...
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

So it has taken a while... First time doing some what I consider major bodywork.

I used a product from Roberts Paint Care (bought last year to paint my tow hook cover). So just spray cans for all steps. I used one whole can of base coat, could have used a few extra passes in some spots though.

Welding/grinding new piece in place. I had help from a friend, I tacked it in a bit and practiced on another panel I have from the junk yard.
      1.jpg

Bondo/Body Filler, There was some warping from the welding which was unfortunate:
      2.jpg

Primer/etcher:
      3.jpg

Surfacing Primer:
      4.jpg

Base Coat:
      5.jpg
      Last edited by sirloins; 09-20-2020 at 06:04 PM.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

I had a lot of orange peel, I wet sanded (not enough) then used a random orbital polisher/cutter on the panel:
      6.jpg

Installed back on the car, I am quite happy with the colour match. Would have wet sanded more the base coat to get a better shine but I think it looks ok. I will wait I think a month they recommend before putting wax on it.

7.jpg

8.jpg
      Last edited by sirloins; 09-20-2020 at 06:05 PM.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Nice job! Yeah, warping is common when welding sheet metal. Tiny "stitches" and patience to let it all cool in between each pass are critical, and even then, not always enough.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      Great job, very impressive.

Thanks for the kind words, I plan to tackle the same area that you had under the door protector moulding LittleRedRidingHood.

Also last week got rid of two noises my car was having.

First was a knocking on the right side while moving slow/turning/braking, not major but very noticeable. It was the passenger strut, top nut was not tight enough and allowed it to move a bit on the mount.

Second was an issue I made another thread for. Sort of grinding/rubbing noise on the passenger side again. Happened only with wheels turned almost to lock and moving slowly. Was the dust shield with a weird bend in it at the bottom.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Starting on the rear passenger door rust spot.

Spot as it appears, not super noticeable:
      PXL_20200928_220541772.jpg

With the molding removed. I used the wife's hair dryer to slightly warm the moulding, prying it up from the bottom and unstuck edge as I went along:
      PXL_20200928_220755872.jpg

After some grinding/sanding:
      PXL_20200928_230144965.jpg

I will clean it up a bit more tomorrow and then body filler. It is nice that most of the spot is under the moulding so I don't have to worry about paint blending there, just along the bottom.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Made some minor progress then it started raining. Looks like rain tomorrow as well. I just need to sand that last coat of body filler then prime/paint etc.

Also, for those reading my long thread.. I have a set of D2S headlights that I cannot use. I read online about our cars using D2S and bought a set, turns out mine is D1S.. I'd like to offer them up free to whoever responds first to this, I will mail them out free of charge to anywhere in Canada/USA.

PXL_20200929_222437345.jpg

They have not been opened. I bought them on Amazon, arrived from some European country. They seem real, but this is why I am not selling them, just giving away.
      PXL_20200930_004941315.jpg

PXL_20200930_004927536.jpg
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Make sure you back-tape before you spray that area or you're going to end up with some hard lines

Thanks for the advice! I have been watching a few videos etc for tips, I hadn't heard that term though but have checked out some videos on it. I will try and take some pics during the rest of the process.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Finished up on the side panel rust. Needs maybe a bit of wet sanding + buffing.

PXL_20201003_171628141.jpg

PXL_20201003_184945642.jpg

Also had some rust at the top of the roof and decided to tackle it. The seal seems very bad at the top, part of it just pulls out easily, and there is grime/dir/mud under it... not great I don't think.

IMG_20200428_172758.jpg

PXL_20201003_222229268.jpg

PXL_20201004_173108231.jpg
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Side trim installed. The colour is a pretty good match, bit of orange peel still.. good enough for me.
      PXL_20201005_190339032.jpg

Top roof/windshield painted + clear coat. Sand/buff in a couple days. I didn't use any filler, so there are some spots noticeable through the paint, but again good enough for me right now.
      PXL_20201005_190513019.jpg
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

So all the rust is gone now except for a spot of the passenger fender where it meets the plastic bumper.. may tackle it before the winter, not sure.

I did find out the seal/urethane holding the top of the windshield is completely gone. I need to get that fixed asap.

I could try to squeeze some stuff under the top, but I am going to hopefully get a new windshield next week. This one has a lot of pitting anyway. I have an old quote of $170ish for re-seal and $375 for replacement. They mentioned there is a risk of the glass breaking during a re-seal.

PXL_20201011_201428132.jpg

PXL_20201011_201449428.jpg
      Last edited by sirloins; 10-13-2020 at 12:18 AM.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Nice color, i have the same on my 2005 V50 T5 AWD M66!
      Is the color hard to paint? Did you just use the spray can or any fancy accessoires? My side moldings are in black plastic and i'd love to have them in passion red, too.
      Found a set of again black moldings but thought about painting them in passion red.
      Last edited by Joshude; 10-12-2020 at 08:45 AM.

I didn't find it too hard to paint, I just used spray cans. The only fancy accessory I'd say was a random orbital polisher.

The one thing I found with the red (and maybe my own mistakes) was that I tried to do light coats of paint so there were no drips. The lighting wasn't the best, and on the fender edges I actually had a few spots that were not 100% covered. The Red is a little bit see through, so just make sure you have good lighting and get good coverage.

The clear coat I think is the hardest, you want thick wet coats to reduce orange peel, but you don't want drips either. I found doing 3 or so coats of clear and then sanding with 2k and then 3k and then the orbital polisher worked OK but it is still not as good as the original paint job in terms of reflections.

If you take on the task, I would do the moldings first. Since they can be done off the car it makes it easier (no masking). You can always sand them back down if you mess up.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

Passion Red from the factory has a white primer undercoat, and no clearcoat. Yours looks great though.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

No clear coat, are you sure? When polishing my passion red there is no color in the pad.
      @sirloins: Thanks for the tips! Any tips on the paint?

The paint I used was from robertspaintcare.com, it is is Canada so was relatively close and shipping was free above $80 or something. I did e-mail them and ask about paint for an HVLP gun, they do offer it as well if you have some fancy tools (I have a friend that does, but did not go down that route). This was my first time painting a car, I did show a more experienced friend (one with the HVLP gun) and he was impressed with the colour match of the paint and did say my clear coat at least on the fender was a bit dull (needed another coat and maybe wet sand to remove orange peel).

I also bought paint for my Mazda, but I haven't gotten around to that yet (some small rust spots forming on the roof from chips).

Interesting about no clear coat from the factory, seems odd. I assumed pretty much all new cars have a clearcoat for protection and shine. I do still have a couple of scratches down to a white colour on the hood as well as few chips so I can confirm the primer colour.

I think my biggest concern will be how long it lasts. Again referencing my friend he mentioned the clear coats that have a separate hardener used in the guns are typically more durable than from the spray cans. I will update here after the winter to see how well it is holding up.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

I recall researching this a long time back and that the P1 metallic colors were clearcoated while the solids weren't. 612 is the latter, if so.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Windshield was replaced today, nice and clear now without the pitting. They did confirm the entire top was no longer sealed, so I guess this is where the water came in when I last washed it (thought it might be sunroof seals). It was also raining today, so I got to test the rain sensor out and it still works.

I just have one spot of rust to fix before winter on the passenger side fender, or I could leave it for now and fix up the fender I bought from the junk yard and paint the entire thing then swap it out.

Also heard another clunk when pulling into the driveway, will need some more investigation on that.. possibly still the strut bolt still not tight enough (do not want to break it!). Normal driving/turning I don't hear anything but there is a big lip going into my driveway.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

So I was just given these as a gift!? Very unexpected...

PXL_20201020_195033457.jpg

Now to get the right-sized tool for that damn ball joint so I don't rip another one. I saw a thread here with some recommendations I will check out.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5