CD-Player
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: CD-Player

CD-Player

Hi,

Did anyone of you get the OEM CD-Player installed? I don't know for sure since I don't own a XC60 yet but it seems the XC60 in the US doesn't come with a factory installed CD-Player anymore. However, I saw a German review yesterday and that XC60 T6 Inscription had one in the center console. So I'm wondering if anybody retro-fitted one and where they got it from (dealer accessory?).

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It was standard equipment on my 2016 XC60 T5
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

I've yet to confirm it but you can still get a CD player for the V90 it seems. It's certainly not a dealer accessory. IMO it wouldn't be worth adding as nothing is simple plug and play these days and it would interfere with the rest of the software in the system and possibly void the expensive bits from warranty as it only covers factory installed systems and would not cover systems modified. Even if you are after uncompressed music, you're better off burning your CDs onto a thumb drive. and using that rather than giving up the center console.

A crank to hand start your car used to be standard equipment too....

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

What is a CD?
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

I'm wondering if anyone's had luck with this bad boy in their XC60?

All joking aside, I'd go with DFrantz's advice. Trying to work a cd player into Sensus seems like a bad idea.

CD sales have fallen 94% since 2000, so I'd expect to see them phased out everywhere during refreshes. It's really easy to rip CDs into a nice, organized catalog using something like iTunes. The only impediment might be... well that your computer doesn't have a DVD/CD drive because those are dying too . You can always get an external drive though, and once you've ripped them you'll have a copy that doesn't degrade over time. Just be sure to save a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoFanFl View Post
      Hi,

Did anyone of you get the OEM CD-Player installed? I don't know for sure since I don't own a XC60 yet but it seems the XC60 in the US doesn't come with a factory installed CD-Player anymore. However, I saw a German review yesterday and that XC60 T6 Inscription had one in the center console. So I'm wondering if anybody retro-fitted one and where they got it from (dealer accessory?).

Thanks!
      Hi VolvoFanFl...

I use a Samsung 500gb SSD (with hundreds of CDs burnt onto it via the USB port in the consul (it's smaller than a single CD case, there is a lot of info here on the forum on how to setup a USB etc., do a search for USB music).

There is/was a CD option that installed into the center armrest (this was a factory/dealer option here in Australia that required a special wiring harness as well I think) however it took up a lot of space, with it installed I think that you wouldn't even be able to put some loose CDs in there as well.

Seems like a backward step as well with all the latest tech that's now available.
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

Thanks for the input, guys!

I certainly wouldn't mess with any electronics. Most of my music is digital already - if I don't stream in the first place.

The only reason why I asked was the fact that the CD-Player is listed as 'Option/accessory' in the XC60's 2020 Owner's Manual (see page 482) and I stumbled over THIS on a German review as well:

https://youtu.be/U57mC5pJs10?t=2150

That's why I thought it might be some port/dealer installed option or accessory. If it isn't, it's not a big deal.

The CD player is still an option on the V60 in Europe. If you go to the Volvo UK website you can find it there in the build your own. That great youtube review you saw it in was a great video. The Brits love the V60 R Design, as I do. The UK's best seller in the Volvo line. I guess the Brits like CD players too, as I do. Oh well..The portable drive sounds like a fine idea to me. Thanks for the suggestion. Opps..Turns out the German one I watched was in English with a different guy driving a RD. But great camera set up for a review...I watch them all. It's fun.
      Last edited by Mike999; 09-03-2019 at 11:26 PM.

I will probably just buy a 256GB Flash Drive. Sine I'm using .mp3 and the system has a limit of 15,000 files on the device in the first place, that should be big enough. Was an Amazon and boy, those got cheap over the last couple of years - LOL!

For lossless files, I can see where a 500GB SSD would come in handy though...

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      I've yet to confirm it but you can still get a CD player for the V90 it seems. It's certainly not a dealer accessory. IMO it wouldn't be worth adding as nothing is simple plug and play these days and it would interfere with the rest of the software in the system and possibly void the expensive bits from warranty as it only covers factory installed systems and would not cover systems modified. Even if you are after uncompressed music, you're better off burning your CDs onto a thumb drive. and using that rather than giving up the center console.

A crank to hand start your car used to be standard equipment too....
      In the US, any modification that invalidates the warranty, must be proven to invalidate the warranty. E.g. Those "void if removed" stickers? They're not legally enforceable.

That said, if you fry the electrical system, and the dealer can obviously see that, you're out of luck. But you can install mods to your heart's content, as long as they do not interfere with the car's systems, and still be under warranty.

Just a general FYI!
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoFanFl View Post
      Hi,

Thanks!
      I don't have experience with the XC60 but I can tell you in the XC90 that the CD player is only available with the super high-end audio system which is an option costing thousands of dollars. I skipped it and figured I'd add the CD player in later. But I discovered that the wiring harness in the console is made specific for the options on the car. My car has no wiring for the CD player whatsoever. And worse, I discovered that the head unit in the dash doesn't even have the port to accept the CD wiring input even if the wiring harness had it. So if you want the CD player in the car, be sure you order a version of the car that has it from the start because retrofitting is just not practical. And if there is no option in the XC60 for a CD player in the US, then that pretty much kills it as an option.

I did look into things like a USB CD player or a CD player that I could play into an audio jack but none of those options are nice enough to make it worthwhile. In those cases, you'd be controlling the CD player separately and not using the features of Sensus. And at that point, the benefit of using the CD directly versus ripping the CD and dumping on to digital media goes away - at least IMO. And therefore, I've been doing a lot more ripping and listening a lot more to stuff I've already ripped rather than digging deep in the CD collection. {sigh}

In most EU countries the CD-player surcharge is 110 EUR, I don't know why this option does not exist in the US market
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Yeah, the fact that it is still available elsewhere AND that it even made it into the US owner's manual was the only reason why I even inquired about it.

I'm certainly not interested in fumbling around with wiring etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      In most EU countries the CD-player surcharge is 110 EUR, I don't know why this option does not exist in the US market
      Besides where I'm explained that CD sales fell off a cliff twenty years ago?

Perhaps it'll help if I give another perspective. Within the next few years, for US sales, it's possible vinyl will surpass CDs. Admittedly these predictions are hard to make because CDs likely will find some sort of floor, and it's plausible to think it's near that, but the fact that this is even a possibility is telling. Just look back ten years. CD sales had already fallen to less than half their peak around the turn of the century, but they were still doing *150 times* as much volume as vinyl.

At the end of the day, manufacturers have to decide whether it's even worth the hassle of messing with the hardware. Apparently it's not for the US. I'm middle aged, and I don't personally know any of my friends use CDs in their cars today. I think I used the CD player in my 2013 vehicle all of twice. I forgot I had a Tom Petty CD in there for almost 2 years.

For what it's worth, I know that Ford, Toyota, and Mazda all started selling vehicles as early as 2017 that lacked CD players, and that's really been the standard move. I'll be surprised going forward when any vehicles receive a redesign that includes CD players.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Wow - it's cheaper and way more convenient to just rip your collection onto a USB and go from there.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements