Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires

All,

I have been a long term user of Nokian WR, WRG2s and WRG3s on previous vehicles. They have provided me with enough winter traction and reasonable rest-of-year performance, plus with the mountain-snowflake symbol for infrequent trips to Quebec where the symbol is mandatory. We do not put many miles on our cars (especially in the winter) so the compromise is worth it for us. Unfortunately, the Nokian's are not available in the 245/45R20 size for our V90 CC. I suspect the Pirelli's that came with the car are not going to be much fun in the winter so I want to get them replaced.

The only comparable products to the Nokians are the Toyo Celsius and Michelin's CrossClimate SUV tires (at least, what I can find). From online reviews, I am leaning towards the Michelin. Does anyone have any experience/opinions to add?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The CrossClimates are, IMO, new to the US market. Have heard/seen/read good things about them but all in the Euro market. BTW, I am looking at Nokian WRG4s too and although not the exact size, they are available in 255/45R20 for us. Also, look at Vredestein Quatrac 5 in 245/45R20, in addition to Nokians, Toyos, and Michelins.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Once the stock Pirelli tires are done, I'm looking at this CrossClimate SUV or the new Primacy Tour A/S to replace it. Seems like the CrossClimate+ for cars are getting great reviews. I'm looking for comfort with ride quality and noise as a priorities with driving performance in dry and wet as a very close second.

I have winter tires, so whichever tire I plan on buying will be used primarily in 3 seasons.

Let us know what you end up buying and please share your experience.
      |2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country| - Crystal White/Blond Interior - Luxury Package - Convenience Package - HUD - B&O - Premium Air Suspension - Polestar Optimised

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I am curious about the CrossClimate tires. Has anyone used them?

I am curious about the CrossClimate tires. Has anyone used them?

Hi

I have them on my V90 CC, have used for around 20,000 miles, and they still have around 5.5mm of tread left, so 40,000 miles seems possible

The grip in the cold weather we get in the UK was excellent last winter

I had these installed just a week ago - I havent noticed much of a difference between them and the stock Pirelli's on dry/wet city and highway which is about as good as I can hope for. I will report back once we get into some real snow falls.

BTW, they were not readily available as stock in that size is quite low. I also wanted to look at the Vredestein's but could not locate a dealer who actually has ever installed them.

Quote Originally Posted by bmacto View Post
      I had these installed just a week ago - I havent noticed much of a difference between them and the stock Pirelli's on dry/wet city and highway which is about as good as I can hope for. I will report back once we get into some real snow falls.

BTW, they were not readily available as stock in that size is quite low. I also wanted to look at the Vredestein's but could not locate a dealer who actually has ever installed them.
      Did you install the Michelin Cross Climate Plus SUV or other variations?

How is the noise at various speeds and road surfaces?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 CC T6 Polestar (Pine Grey Metallic)

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit View Post
      Did you install the Michelin Cross Climate Plus SUV or other variations?

How is the noise at various speeds and road surfaces?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

They are the Cross Climate SUV - from what is available in Canada, there is the Cross Climate SUV and the Cross Climate +. For the 245/45R20 size, only the SUV version is available.

I love my Nordman WR’s. Made by Nokian, and so quiet compared to my wife’s Nokian WGR3’s! Great price too.
      2018 V90CC T5 with P*, Saville Gray/Charcoal
      2015.5 XC60 T5 Drive-E Platinum, Twilight Bronze/Hazel Brown

Quote Originally Posted by bmacto View Post
      They are the Cross Climate SUV...For the 245/45R20 size, only the SUV version is available.
      how is the

1) overall handling
      2) road noise
      3) snow traction
      4) ride comfort

R

I can only make a fair comparison with the stock Pirelli's.

The handling and comfort are comparable - not enough difference for me to notice. There is a small amount of additional road noise with the Michelins. The snow traction has been quite good - a marked improvement over the Pirelli's. I have not yet had a single time when I felt there was an unpredictable loss in traction.

One unexpected downside to the Michelin's is it makes the car quite a bit dirtier - it picks up a lot more slush/water from the road than the Pirelli's. I havent yet looked into mud flaps but it is on my list.

On my V90CC I have 2 sets of wheels:

summer: PIRELLI P ZERO 245/45 R 20"
      winter: NOKIAN WR SUV 4 235/50 R 19"

I find this combination very nice.. having separate summer and winter wheels.. winter is 19" with bigger tire profile so at the end both sets have the same diameter (and the bigger tire profile is nice for snow and hidden bumps on the road).

I'm happy with both tires.. although the nokian's do make a bit of road noise.. but very good handling with heavy rain and with snow/ice. I recommend

winter_tires.jpg

summer_tires.jpg
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

I'm planning to do the same thing with my new 2020 V90 CC! ru1 did your V90 CC come with 19" or 20" wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
      I'm planning to do the same thing with my new 2020 V90 CC! ru1 did your V90 CC come with 19" or 20" wheels?
      My V90CC came with 20" summer tires.. but where I live, winter tires are mandatory from Oct-April.
      So, when I ordered my car I was investigating online prices of 20" winter tires.. and it was about 1000 EUR for 4 tires (only tires).

Then, at VOLVO, I had this conversation:
      VOLVO: You know, the car will be delivered with summer tires.. do you want to buy winter tires?
      ME: humm.. I'm thinking of buying them online...
      VOLVO: how much do you think it will cost you?
      ME: around 1000 EUR..
      VOLVO: humm.. for that price.. let me see.. we can offer you tires with wheels

so.. after looking at the wheels and tires (NOKIAN WR SUV 4 235/50 R 19") and after a quick double check online.. I said YES!

So now with the 2 sets, I do the change myself (this saves me at least 160 EUR/year - cost that I had on my previous car of changing the tires twice a year)
      RU1

ru1 do you have any issues with the TPMS when you swap wheels/tires each season? I plan to do the same as you with my new V90 CC and with my current Subaru Outback I have to take the car in and have the TPMS reset everytime I do the swap!

No problem at all.
      After I swap the wheels I always go to the nearest gas station to check the tire pressure and after go for a ride.. 20kms or so and press the TPMS button "calibrate/store pressure".. it takes a while.. a few kms and then all goes green.
      That's it. No stress. (I'm not even sure if this is actually necessary, but anyway, I do it)

BUT, be aware of this: (from the user manual)

When changing to another tyre dimension
      -------------------------------------------------------
      Check that the tyre dimension is approved for use on the car.
      Contact an authorised Volvo workshop for updating the software at each change of tyre dimension.
      A software download may be necessary both when changing to larger and smaller dimensions, and also when switching between summer and winter wheels.
      This doesn't apply to me because, even though I have summer 20" rims and winter 19" rims, the tire profile is bigger on the 19" rims so the diameter of the tires are in fact very similar (20" vs 19").
      Last edited by ru1; 02-18-2020 at 09:49 AM.
      RU1

RU1

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
      ru1 do you have any issues with the TPMS when you swap wheels/tires each season? I plan to do the same as you with my new V90 CC and with my current Subaru Outback I have to take the car in and have the TPMS reset everytime I do the swap!
      I had a Subaru legacy and wound up not putting TPMS sensors in my winter wheels. Depending on the year you have, subaru only allows you to store one set of sensors. There are 2 ways to solve this, bring it to the dealer whenever you change your wheels and pay them to have them calibrated or you can buy a second control board (I forget the exact part, but it was a little box that was under the driver's seat) have it programmed once and swap the box when you change your wheels. At least on mine, Subaru was using a direct TPMS system with sensors in each wheel.

In 2017, Volvo started using an indirect TPMS system which uses the wheel speed sensors to detect loss of air pressure. If a tire starts losing air it will rotate at a different speed than the other tires. For the indirect system, as stated, when you swap wheels, set your pressures, hit the calibrate button and drive around a bit. Makes swapping wheels really nice, but I prefer the direct sensors since I think they do a better job of detecting leaks.

I have the 20" wheel option and I picked up a set of 19" Volvo OEM wheels and put the stock tire size on them. Haven't had any issues with them on the car and the overall diameter difference between the tires is very small. Call Nick at Re-Volv in Oxford, MA. He gave me a good price on some OEM port takeoffs that I use for my winter wheels. He will ship and the price he was offering makes it well worth it.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements