OSD scheduled for October 2019, Road Trip through Norway Planned w V60 Polestar
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

OSD scheduled for October 2019, Road Trip through Norway Planned w V60 Polestar

This forum has been a wealth of information to me in my planning, so I thought I'd post my timeline and details for others that may be interested. Updates with photos and more details as I progress.

April 3, 2019: Press articles come out announcing the new Polestar Engineered lineup to include the XC60 and V60 in addition to the S60. I get excited and visit my local Volvo dealership that evening to 'get on the list' for more information as it becomes known. The sales representative that I spoke with was very kind, but clearly he knew only the same information I knew from the press releases. He promises to keep in touch.

approximately May 21, 2019: I call the sales rep bugging him (for perhaps the third time) asking if he knew anything more yet. While on the phone, he goes to the Volvo website where he discovers and shares the pricing information for the V60 Polestar that I'm interested in. Until this point, I was only dreaming about the car as I had no idea what it would cost. With prices released, it was now time for me to make a decision.

May 22, 2019: I visited the dealership to put down $3,000 deposit and place my order for a Crystal White Metallic V60 T8 AWD Polestar Engineered. Was told next step would be electronic verification of the order, which came later in the evening on the 22nd. I signed and returned the electronic order, requesting a delivery date of September 9th. Was told the next step would be a kit/package from Volvo OSD to be mailed to me 'within a week or so.'

Approximately 2 weeks or more transpire before I received the kit, and I'll admit to being anxious, nervous and needy for more information in this timeframe. But the kit finally did arrive with my order details. Somewhere in this process I learned the car couldn't or wouldn't be built by my September 9 requested date. My kit arrived with a confirmed Factory Delivery date of October 7th.

July 10, 2019: Once the kit arrived with a delivery date of 10/7, I needed to speak with my girlfriend to coordinate schedules and travel availability. I worked with Charity at Corporate Travel to create an initial travel itinerary. The original plan was to visit Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo before returning the car to Gothenburg.

July 15, 2019: Since our original flight itinerary routed us from Chicago>Copenhagen>Gothenburg, we opted to modify and simply travel Chicago>Copenhagen. This itinerary was confirmed on July 22nd, with the intent that we'll arrange our own hotel, and take the train from Copenhagen to Gothenburg. Corporate travel has secured our stay at the Clarion Post in Gothenburg beginning Sunday, October 6th, with Factory Delivery of my car scheduled for Monday, 10/7.

Since the end of July, I've been noodling on what it is I want to do while in Europe. Essentially, it's get my car and see cool stuff. My itinerary has shifted multiple times between then and now, but we've opted to forego Stockholm so that we can make a run for the Fjords during our stay. I'm doing all the arrangements myself, booking some nights at Airbnb, and some at hotels. Currently this is what it looks like:
      10/7, delivery of V60 from the factory. Tour the museum and Gothenburg and catch our breath a bit. Overnight in Gothenburg at the Clarion Post.
      10/8, depart early for a long drive to Bergen, Norway. Anything I see says the trip can be made in approximately 11 1/2 hours. But I've also read driving in Norway will be much slower than expected. This leg has me the most concerned in terms of time on the road, but I want/need to get to Bergen to make the rest of the itinerary work. With a SweeedV60 Polestar Engineered and some beautiful scenery, what can go wrong?
      10/9 explore Bergen, stay in Bergen
      10/10, drive from Bergen to Nordfjordeid, Norway. This is an approximately 5 1/2 hour drive that we'll simply wander and enjoy the Fjords and scenery. I've booked an Airbnb for this evening.
      10/11, drive from Nordfjordeid to Sveggen, Norway. We'll drive Trollstigen and the Atlantic Ocean Road on this leg which is honestly the entire reason for wanting to head this direction to explore. Airbnb accommodations have been secured.
      10/12, drive from Sveggen, Norway to Oslo. Overnight in hotel in Oslo.
      10/13, explore Oslo, stay in Oslo.
      10/14, depart Oslo for the 3-4 hour drive back to Gothenburg where I'll drop the car. Sleep in Gothenburg.
      10/15, fly back to the US. Gothenburg>Stockholm>Chicago>Grand Rapids, MI.

As of this writing, I'm inside of 30 days to travel and I have not yet been asked for payment nor have I received confirmation of a VIN. I'm pretty easy-going and have confidence that I actually DO have a car being built and I'll learn soon enough that I need to pay for it.

I should also note that my original sales rep at the local Volvo dealership has left. I've been transferred to the Sales Manager, who has not personally coordinated any OSD. But it's all good so far and seems to be on track.

Am I missing anything obvious?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

[QUOTE=SweeedV60;7400543]This forum has been a wealth of information to me in my planning, so I thought I'd post my timeline and details for others that may be interested. Updates with photos and more details as I progress.

April 3, 2019: Press articles come out announcing the new Polestar Engineered lineup to include the XC60 and V60 in addition to the S60. I get excited and visit my local Volvo dealership that evening to 'get on the list' for more information as it becomes known. The sales representative that I spoke with was very kind, but clearly he knew only the same information I knew from the press releases. He promises to keep in touch.

approximately May 21, 2019: I call the sales rep bugging him (for perhaps the third time) asking if he knew anything more yet. While on the phone, he goes to the Volvo website where he discovers and shares the pricing information for the V60 Polestar that I'm interested in. Until this point, I was only dreaming about the car as I had no idea what it would cost. With prices released, it was now time for me to make a decision.

May 22, 2019: I visited the dealership to put down $3,000 deposit and place my order for a Crystal White Metallic V60 T8 AWD Polestar Engineered. /QUOTE]

I LOL'd at the timing here.

May 21 find out pricing
      May 22 ordered

Bam. You are not a man of indecision
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

Driving in Norway is indeed way slower than expected. Took about 8-9 hours from Oslo to Stockholm along. Most of roads are two line highways at best.

Early August we drove from Bergen to Oslo via Flåm, Fjærland, Loen, Molde, Kristiansund, and Trondheim, took us about 7-8 days in a V90. Trollstigen was fogged up the day we were there so just keep it in mind. I would strongly suggest you spend more days in Norway if possible, it is one of the best place I ever visited.
      2020 V90 R-Design T6 AWD P*

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SweeedV60 View Post
      As of this writing, I'm inside of 30 days to travel and I have not yet been asked for payment nor have I received confirmation of a VIN. I'm pretty easy-going and have confidence that I actually DO have a car being built and I'll learn soon enough that I need to pay for it.
      FWIW. I'm taking delivery of an XC60 T8 on 10/1. Confirmation with VIN came on August 21st. I was told balance must be paid 30-days before delivery date, so hope yours comes through soon.

Your trip looks terrific, and we're doing something similar, albeit in reverse order. That Gothenburg to Bergen leg on yours gave me pause, but I'm not the road warrior I once was, and we're limiting legs to no more than 5-6 hours to allow for some stretching/hiking/eating here and there.

You will need to show proof of payment or financing for the vehicle when you get to Gothenberg. The dealer should have given you an invoice with the VIN included.
      Are you financing the car? If so, you need to start the financing process now but you will need the VIN. If you paid or will pay in cash you need to get that done but you need that invoice with the VIN. I am picking up my V60cc - not Polestar - will have it done at the dealer, on Oct. 23. I am now starting the financing process. Plan to have proof of purchase within 30 days of pick-up. Have fun on your road trip. I am driving through several countries and dropping of the car in Amsterdam.

After driving in Norway, I think you are way underestimating the driving times.

The max speed is 70kph (~45mph) in most of the roads you will drive given your destinations. Roads are well maintained but they are narrow and very, very twisty. You may be able to drive a bit faster in a few sections, but I suggest you don't: fines are stiff. Besides, the views are the reason you are doing all that driving, right?

If you are open for a small change, I would suggest leaving Gothenburg on the day you get the car, drive to Oslo, spend some time there and then continue with your original plan. On the return leg, instead of your original plan of stopping in Oslo, you could add an overnight stop somewhere like Lillehammer.

Regardless of your final decision, you will have a lot of fun. Norway is the most gorgeous place I've visited and the people are warm and welcoming.

A suggestion if you like seafood: visit one of the many Egon Restaurants (it is a chain) and try their fish soup. If you like seafood, you will not be disappointed.
      2018 XC90 T8 AWD Momentum Plus, Denim Blue, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD) Platinum Green, Premium, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, etc
      Previous:
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

Midnight Candy and ig mb; thank you both for the nudge I needed on drive times in Norway. With your feedback, that’s enough to get me to chop that Gothenburg>Bergen leg in half. I knew it was a tall order, but I think slowing down and enjoying the trip will be a better choice.

Once again proving the value of this forum. Thanks all for your input!

Midnight Candy and ig mb; thank you both for the nudge I needed on drive times in Norway. With your feedback, that’s enough to get me to chop that Gothenburg>Bergen leg in half. I knew it was a tall order, but I think slowing down and enjoying the trip will be a better choice.

Once again proving the value of this forum. Thanks all for your input!
      Prepare to stop a lot for the view! Enjoy your OSD experience (I already drove a V90 in Norway once so I skipped the OSD for my own V90 lol)
      2020 V90 R-Design T6 AWD P*

We spent two weeks driving what you are trying to do. We took two days to go what you are trying to drive in one day. At least double the drive times posted on the web if you want to stop and see anything which is the point of going to those areas. You do the trollstiegen for the scenery, but not the driving since it has heavy traffic. The Atlantic Highway is not worth going that far out of your way. We were on better roads for fun driving with just as good scenery farther south in Norway.

We were in this area around the same time last year. First week of October. I would echo the cautions of others in terms of trying to do that first leg to Bergen in one shot. We actually skipped just past Oslo to a very pretty little town called Sundoloven, that sits right at the crossroads of all the major highways going west. You can check the weather reports that night or first thing in the morning and make some calls over how you want to proceed into Bergen based on latest conditions. We did highway 50 and it was AMAZING but there were threats of early snow and road closures so you need to keep an eye on the weather. Don't get to locked into seeing any one thing or driving any one route because weather could play a factor. You may find one scenic drive closed, or fogged in, while an equally scenic drive is open and gorgeous just a short distance away. Our trip report is here if can help you at all. Also don't overlook the option of an overnight ferry to or from Bergen via North Denmark which can easily be reached by ferry from Gothenberg. That allows you to travel while you sleep, and can cut a major chunk of driving out, if you are trying to maximize time and still get out to the Western Fjords. Good luck and have fun!
      Last edited by scooterb; 09-18-2019 at 12:16 PM.
      2019 T-6 AWD Polestar, Denim Blue/Maroon Brown (OSD Sept 2018)

Loved your report scooterb and great tips in the post above. I like the idea of not being wedded to a particular route or agenda; I’ll also do a little more digging on the ferry to Bergen-something I hadn’t considered yet. Thanks again!

We drove several of the 18 Scenic Roads of Norway. My favorites were characterized by the best scenery with less traffic to put P* in manual mode and have fun. I enjoyed the Gaularfjellet and also a loop from Dragsvik including a couple of ferries, the Aurlandsfjellet, and the Vikafjell on route 13 from Vinje to Vangsnes. Watch the edges of those narrow roads as a rock trashed one of my tires instead of having a truck trash me totally. I had to use the spare, then drive 80kms to get a poor replacement tire that has been replaced again with an OEM tire.
      July 2019 OSD XC40 T5 R-Design Black Stone

Some updates to my timeline:

September 10th-I called local dealer asking for the VIN so I could obtain financing if needed. Dealer responded via email with VIN. No further instructions on anything, such as when funds might be required.

September 24th- Approximately noon, I call dealer and leave voicemail for my sales rep indicating that I have a check to pay for the Volvo, asking for a time to meet to deliver check and sign any paperwork necessary. Keeping in mind, we depart for Sweden exactly 10 days from the date of my call. Sales rep replies via email at 6:06 pm, 'stop by any time, happy to take your check.'

September 25th-I visit dealership with check in hand, expecting to sign something. Sales manager says 'let me go get you a receipt for this payment' and check if anything else needed. I am presented with nothing further to sign or document. My rep is friendly and cordial, however I feel lacks experience with the OSD program. He's admitted as much, indicating he's only done 'one or two' of these sales. During the conversation, he tells me that they/dealership are essentially out of the loop and it will be up to me to title the car, register and pay sales tax upon my return. I have no problem doing this, but when I indicated that if I'm doing the document and paperwork, 'why don't you remove the $220 documentary fee that the dealership is charging me?' He mumbles something or other that they can't remove it and I know it's a fight I can't win, so I don't belabor the point. (except here! )

All that's left now is to fly to Sweden and get my new car! Can't wait. Photos and updates to follow.

Cogtooth-appreciate the info from your trip and the advice to keep the wheels on the pavement! I've seen others experience the same punctured tire issue and I'll do my best.

Having done the drive from Oslo to Bergen, I will echo the others and strongly advise against trying to do Gothenburg to Bergen in one day. I would still drive though because the changes in scenery are spectacular. Didn't have time to visit Oslo except for an evening trip to the Vigelandpark which I can highly recommend.
      1980 244 GL M46. Glacier Blue/Black. 185k.
      2007 V70R M66. Titanium Grey/Nordkap Blue. 135k.
      2016 340ix 6-speed. Estoril Blue/Dakota Brown. 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzo View Post
      Having done the drive from Oslo to Bergen, I will echo the others and strongly advise against trying to do Gothenburg to Bergen in one day. I would still drive though because the changes in scenery are spectacular. Didn't have time to visit Oslo except for an evening trip to the Vigelandpark which I can highly recommend.
      Appreciate it buzzo-I'm going with the wisdom of the group and we've booked our first night of lodging half-way between Oslo and Bergen. Thanks!

Appreciate it buzzo-I'm going with the wisdom of the group and we've booked our first night of lodging half-way between Oslo and Bergen. Thanks!
      I'm thinking you will thanking yourself during your drive and stay over......
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Quick chiming in to say that my wife and I are picking up our V90CC on Oct 7th too. We've just recently moved from Michigan to Minnesota, so it sounds like next Monday will be Midwest Day at the FDC. 😁

Perhaps we'll see you at the hotel or FDC next week. Safe travels.

Fantastic! I'll look for a V90CC at the FDC and say hello if/when I see one. Safe travels to you as well.
      ~Brian

Have been home just over a week and all I can say is "WOW!" What a fantastic trip all the way around. Start with the first impression of the spacious seats and good food in SAS Plus on the flight-we landed in Copenhagen on Saturday 10/5. Walked from our hotel to grab some food at Nyhaven. Have to say that I truly enjoyed the planning in that city that gives ample room for pedestrians, bicycles and vehicles to all coexist on the same streets/spaces. Would definitely spend more time in Copenhagen. Maybe next time!

Copenhagen.jpg

Sunday 10/6 we took an enjoyable train ride from Copenhagen to Gothenburg, and walked from the station over to our hotel. Definitely recommend this as a way to travel between the two cities-quite easy and manageable. Took a short walk through the park next to the Clarion Post before Enjoying the Volvo comped meal at Norda Bar and Grill, then hit the sack early for the next day's delivery.

Monday 10/7, delivery date. Sitting in the delivery center I made the comment that it felt like a maternity ward, with everyone excitedly awaiting an important arrival! After some time to stroll through the gift shop and enjoy a cup of coffee, I was notified that my car was ready. Frankly much of that part was a blur as I was just anxious to see the car IN PERSON for the first time! Features were reviewed, opportunities for questions provided, but I just wanted the keys. Soon enough I was driving out the doors and onto the 'test track.' Thankfully for this forum, my expectations were in order for the test track. After a couple of pics in front of the Volvo sign, I wanted to drive back up the hill and see if I could get a shot of my new wheels in front of the Polestar building. Mission accomplished.

Polestar.jpg

Back to the Factory for the meatball lunch and factory tour (both very good), we were shortly on our way to try to find the Volvo Museum. After a few wrong turns, we ended up where we needed to be. While interesting, we didn't spend a lot of time in the museum. If I were to have missed it? I'm not sure I'd have been terribly disappointed. Back to the Clarion Post where I'd scouted a couple of spots for some more photos of my new wheels.

HCP.jpg
      CentralStation.jpg
      (Favorite part of the Central Station shot were the three police officers keeping a watchful eye on us as I drove and parked my car on the sidewalk right in front of the train station!)

Staying a second night at the Clarion Post was a good decision; no real rush to leave the FDC to get anywhere or do anything and it allowed us to relax and get a good night's rest before heading out on the epic driving portion of the trip, which would start bright and early Tuesday morning.

With the help of the staff at the FDC, I'd established my credit card/information for registering and paying tolls while driving in Norway. It was an easy setup-maybe too easy as I have no idea yet as to the costs incurred for tolls, and hopefully no speeding tickets! (There may be at least one of those I fear, however)

Tuesday 10/8, we checked out of the Clarion and headed north toward an Airbnb we'd booked near Haugastol. Again, with the advice of members in the forum, I opted NOT to try to make the entire leg from Gothenburg all the way to Bergen. From Gothenburg to Oslo the drive was primarily highway and reminded me of roads in the Midwest here back in the States. Pretty, but nothing spectacular, while allowing me to gain familiarity with my new V60. I will say that I was surprised there was no border control or any passport stop passing between Sweden and Norway. While I think I recall seeing a sign marking the border, it was pretty easy to miss.

After passing through the outskirts of Oslo, we got off the highway and onto a two lane (sometimes barely one lane) road that would become familiar over the next several days. I'd received a message from my Airbnb host saying 'we can see from the webcams that there's been some snow in the mountains. We're not sure if the driveway to the house will be passable or not.' While I'd expected to see snow on this trip, I wasn't anticipating both the beauty and the anxiety of driving through the approximately 6" that had recently fallen. Cautiously, I made my way off the main road and up the snow-covered slope leading to our home for the night. Once I got the Polestar parked, I snapped this photo then began checking forecasts to see if more snow was predicted or not.

Camouflage.jpg

Fortunately the additional accumulation overnight wasn't significant, and we eased our way back down the hill and onto the main road the next morning, Wednesday 10/9, for our journey into Bergen. Initially I'd mapped out two routes-one a 'short' drive that would take about 3 hours, and a second, more scenic drive that I was really hoping to do but that might take 7 hours.

The slow driving caused by the snow was a blessing, as I was still debating with my girlfriend whether to take the 'short' route or the originally planned scenic route. As I was driving and contemplating which route to take-we came upon the scene of a minor traffic accident. Police had been called and a crane/wrecker dispatched to help pull a car up from the ditch after having slid off in the wintry conditions. Sitting in a line of traffic for 30 minutes while the wrecker hauled away the damaged vehicle made my decision for me: We'd be taking the 'short' route that day.

...to be continued in the next post (max upload of 5 photos per post)
      Last edited by SweeedV60; 10-23-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Cautiously driving the descent from the snow of higher elevation, we soon came upon the Hardanger Bridge.
      Hardanger Bridge.jpg

A pit stop on the road between Haugastol and Bergen
      Polestar at Rest.jpg

A quick hike up and behind Steinsdalsfossen
      a bergen trip.jpg

Spotting sheep dotting the hillside
      a bergen trip-2.jpg

Then finally a rainy view of Bergen at night from the rooftop of our hotel, the Hotel Havnekontoret-part of the Clarion Collection.
      a bergen boat.jpg
      Last edited by SweeedV60; 10-24-2019 at 12:22 PM.

With having experienced the snow on our first day of driving, we quickly decided to take the 'short' routes as opposed to venturing back to higher elevations and potentially running into snowy/slow conditions. Our second day of driving took us from Bergen to an Airbnb in Espe, near Nordfjordeid.

A Nordfjordeid.jpg

Around every turn was stunning scenery; I kept seeing church steeples and was hoping for an opportunity to find a good angle to photograph one. Found this church in Re.

A Nordfjordeid-3.jpg

Had the opportunity to board our first ferry, and literally took this unedited shot out my driver's side window while on the boat. Again, mind-blowing the beauty.

A Nordfjordeid-4.jpg

From the bridge of a ferry, greeted by a rainbow off to the right.

A Nordfjordeid-2.jpg

The ferry experience was actually quite easy to manage as well. Pull up on the dock, get in line behind the car in front of you. When your ferry arrives, drive onto the boat, park, then wait for the attendant to come to your window. Hand him the credit card which is swiped right there, then you're free to head up to the bridge for coffee, fika, restrooms or just to stretch your legs. Just a fun little break along the route.

Friday, October 11th was intended to be the height of the drive; Original plans had me routed to Trollstigen then on to the Atlantic Ocean Road where we'd booked another Airbnb for the night. Having spent long days on the road the previous two days, we quickly decided to bypass Trollstigen. It shocks me to say how easy that decision was, as in all my planning most everything I'd done was to get us to Trollstigen. Because the scenery was so good everywhere else and the drives longer than estimated (Again, everyone here on the forums TOLD me this!) we just took the 'direct' route and enjoyed every minute.

Our first rest stop in the morning was an example, with a beautiful old stone bridge providing foreground to a jaw-dropping mountain view.

morning rest.jpg

As we drove down into Stranda for our first ferry crossing of the day, another church caught my eye.

More churches.jpg

Continuing on, we came into the town of Molde which surprised me at how large a city it was. Beautiful mountain backdrops to a marina just off the main route we drove.

Molde marina.jpg

Then finally coming to the Atlantic Ocean Road. It was cool to see. Shorter than I'd anticipated, and somehow anti-climactic in ways. Impressive engineering to be sure, but with all the tunnels and roads we'd driven to get to this point, it was almost 'just another bridge.' Don't be fooled into thinking I was disappointed in any way-as the Atlantic Ocean Road gave me a destination to reach. It was the drive, the journey, the unexpected surprises along the way that just made these few bridges blend in with the rest. All fantastic.

AOR.jpg
      Last edited by SweeedV60; 10-24-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Having reached the Atlantic Ocean Road, my expectations had been blown away. I had no other intended destinations or scenic stops planned. Simply a long 8 hour drive from Sveggen, back south to our hotel in Oslo.

Mentally for me, Saturday October 12 was 'just drive.' It wasn't long before I had to pull over and pull the camera out again, at risk of making a long day even longer.

Gjemnessundbrua.jpg

For whatever reason, this day in which I had zero expectations turned into probably my favorite part of the trip. Another stop to shoot some boathouses reflecting in the relatively still waters.

boathouse.jpg

Literally, around every curve stunning scenery. A beautiful old church, opened in 1797, then MOVED to this location in 1902. To think this building had been around nearly as long as our Declaration of Independence.

Kors Kirke.jpg

Eventually, we did make it back into Oslo for a two night stay at the Amerikalinjen Hotel.

Editorial note, I joined the Nordic Choice hotel program thinking I'd secure better rates than if I booked directly. As it turns out, I found a deal for the Amerikalinjen at a SIGNIFICANT discount via Priceline over what I could book through Nordic Choice. The membership for NC was free, so nothing lost. Just don't lock yourself into thinking that's your only resource for booking lodging.

Odd as it may seem, I was also relieved to find a spot in the parking garage and tuck the Polestar into the corner for two nights and not have the stress of driving for awhile. I'd made it this far without incident and just didn't want to screw anything up now.

Sunday October 13 was intended as a day to rest (no driving) and explore Oslo. We had a great breakfast at the hotel, then asked the best way to get out to Vigeland Park. We were going to take a car or cab/Uber, but the concierge assured us that the public transport was easy to use. With some quick instruction, we ventured off to find the trolley and made our way to the park. Just a stunning fall day made it a great day to wander.

Vigeland.jpg

I feel a little guilty for taking this shot of folks resting in the sun-but felt it perfectly captured how the natives take full advantage of a glorious day.

Senior rest.jpg

Feeling confident in our ability to navigate the trolley system, we booked our return ticket on the train back to city center, then proceeded on foot over to Oslo City Hall. This is the space in which the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded each December, and it simply oozed of historical importance. Highly recommend (and free to visit too!)

Oslo City Hall.jpg

After dinner, we went for another short walk from the hotel over to the Oslo Opera House. It wasn't until I'd snapped a couple of photos that I realized the hint of green light in the sky was quite likely the Northern Lights. I was shocked to be able to see them through the light of the city-and it wasn't the typical stunning display, but I can say I saw the Northern Lights in Norway!

opera house.jpg

Monday October 14th, we made the relatively short drive (~3 hours) from Oslo back to the Factory Delivery Center. Dropped the car off with half a tank of gas and 10 layers of mud and dirt; it was filthy! Again, glad to turn over the keys and be done driving. Loved the car, loved the experience, but I'm looking forward to driving it with a full electric charge and on roads that I'm familiar with.

We opted to stay Monday night back at the Clarion Post, just from a familiarity standpoint.

To summarize, our road trip through Norway covered just over 1400 miles; 124 tunnels (three of which took us UNDER the ocean!); five ferries and endless vistas and memories.

I can't find a single thing about the entire Overseas Delivery Experience that I would change. Minor glitches? Maybe, but I can't honestly even remember them at this point. Just a fantastic trip, fantastic opportunity and I cannot wait to get my car back home.

Highly recommended. Thanks to all in this forum who provided their input and experiences which helped me shape this trip into what it was.

Great report, and the car looks awesome. Sounds like the snow didn't present too much difficulties, but how did you like its performance?
      2020 XC60 T8 R-Design

Car was awesome. Smooth, power/torque when wanted, comfortable and solid fuel economy. Over 30mpg and that was without charging/no battery assistance other than regenerative braking. It was a good choice for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonderful report and beautiful pictures!

Norway has some of the most beautiful scenery out there. I'm glad you enjoyed it
      2018 XC90 T8 AWD Momentum Plus, Denim Blue, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD) Platinum Green, Premium, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, etc
      Previous:
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

Sounds like we had an almost identical 'experience' driving through Norway, at least from Oslo to Bergen traversing the same roads. It's been a few years since I did it so this was bringing back nice memories. Most beautiful wagon (and thus, car) ever with the optimal engine.
      1980 244 GL M46. Glacier Blue/Black. 185k.
      2007 V70R M66. Titanium Grey/Nordkap Blue. 135k.
      2016 340ix 6-speed. Estoril Blue/Dakota Brown. 40k.

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements