Late November Göteborg plans
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Late November Göteborg plans

I am planning for a few days of sightseeing around my pickup of a V90 on November 20th. There are questions that come to mind for that time period with weather and winter travel. I am thinking of keeping things simple to be on the safe side, but would like any thoughts from travelers familiar with cold/winter planning. If I were to just plant myself in the city at the Clarion for several days would there be ample attractions, including eateries or shops or cultural venues within a days travel to make it an exciting option?

I am wondering if there are winter events for tourists at any of the neighboring islands that would be easy to get to. So many possibilities, I worry that if I am too careful I will miss something extraordinary.
      I'm a novice at overseas travel, having only gone on business a couple of times. Frankly, I worry about the difficulty with deciphering road signs, gasoline, tolls and all sorts of daily events.

Has anyone taken this approach and used Göteborg as a home base for a few days? I would welcome any advice or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
      Gary

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sweden is pretty easy for foreigners--road signs are all symbol based (no words to translate) and everyone speaks quite good English. The Factory Delivery Center should definitely be able to help you with some ideas of things to do around Gothenburg, but you can definitely spend a day or two just exploring the city (it will get dark VERY early though at that time of year). You might want to drive out to the coast as well, as the West Coast of Sweden is quite pretty.

Depending how late November you are talking about, you could potentially have some early Christmas activities to check out, which the Swedes take very seriously.
      2019 Volvo S60 T6 AWD Fusion Red/Charcoal
      2004 Volvo V70 R M66 Titanium Grey/Atacama
      Former owner 2018 V90 Cross Country, 2017 V60, 1996 911

Thank you, jonkoping! I hadn't thought about the seasonal Christmas possibilities. I'm also wondering if the snow tire law will be in effect at that time. Does Volvo loan snow tire sets in that case?
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      pending: 2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My wife and I are going right around the same time also. We pick up on the 25th. There are several Christmas things going on in Gothenburg at that time. There is a theme park that has decorations, Haga district has stuff and some other places in there have festivals going on. Weekend would probably be busier for them. Watercolor museum is still open and Trollhatten is about an hour away.
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

Thanks, Schmitty.
      The more I think about it, perhaps using Göteborg as our headquarters is logical. As your (all above) comments have encouraged me, I have googled for info around the city and there is much available to warrant staying there. Then we can take trips to venues like Trollhatten if need be.
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      pending: 2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

Gothenburg was less interesting than expected, but the coast to the north including Smogen was much more interesting than expected, but only an hour or two away. Gothenburg seemed best for shopping. Not sure what November weather would be like on the coast.
      July 2019 OSD XC40 T5 R-Design Black Stone

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements