All electric XC40
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

All electric XC40

There has been a scarcity of news lately about Volvo's plans to produce a fully electric XC40. This is in contrast to a steady stream of news from Polestar about the Polestar 2. Have I missed something? Is Volvo still on track to have a fully electric XC40 in 2021?
      2015.5 XC60, Blue, Platinum (his)
      2012 XC60, Ice White (hers)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by racmd926 View Post
      There has been a scarcity of news lately about Volvo's plans to produce a fully electric XC40. This is in contrast to a steady stream of news from Polestar about the Polestar 2. Have I missed something? Is Volvo still on track to have a fully electric XC40 in 2021?
      Fully electric xc40 to be unveiled at the end of 2019 and production start in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by volvocu View Post
      Fully electric xc40 to be unveiled at the end of 2019 and production start in 2020
      Coincident to Polestar 2 production starts early 2020, though built in different factory. P*2 is built in China and XC40 EV in Belgium.
      Maybe the reason is they will use battery from same source.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

What is your source for this information?
      Last edited by racmd926; 09-10-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: grammer
      2015.5 XC60, Blue, Platinum (his)
      2012 XC60, Ice White (hers)

XC40 T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid is next before full electric:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/11/...n-engine-phev/
      2019 CBV XC40 P* Momentum Ice White/Black top, Charcoal inside

"Order books have opened, with deliveries scheduled to start in February 2020. Before then, we'll see the pure-electric XC40 later this year."

hmmm...
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      "Order books have opened, with deliveries scheduled to start in February 2020. Before then, we'll see the pure-electric XC40 later this year."

hmmm...
      Order books just in the U.K.? Or everywhere?

It's interesting that this XC40 PHEV is front-wheel-drive only -- if the autoblog article is accurate. That would be different from all other Volvo PHEVs, which are AWD with ICE power going to front axle and EV power going to rear axle. If they are able to put electric and ICE power to one axle, then they ought to be able to put electric and iCE power to both axles, theoretically -- which would make the Volvo PHEVs much better AWD vehicles. I was disappointed, however, to see that the battery pack is still only 10.7 kWh; considering that Volvo has been making PHEVs for some years now, it's a shame that they haven't been able to get their packs up to 15 or 20 kWh by now (even the much-smaller and much-cheaper Chevy Volt PHEV car has an 18.4-kWh battery pack).
      Last edited by cometguy; 09-16-2019 at 10:30 AM.

The reason for the small battery capacity is due to the fact that the battery is situated where the propshaft would normally be in a RWD or AWD car. This is intentional and part of the SPA strategy from the outset, providing a distinct advantage with regards to conserving boot space, as opposed to a significant loss in boot space of all competitors. I think the SPA2 platform will also utilize a similar solution albeit with improvements to the packaging; possibly allowing larger batteries and a larger electric engine in the rear somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      It's interesting that this XC40 PHEV is front-wheel-drive only -- if the autoblog article is accurate. That would be different from all other Volvo PHEVs, which are AWD with ICE power going to front axle and EV power going to rear axle. If they are able to put electric and ICE power to one axle, then they ought to be able to put electric and iCE power to both axles, theoretically -- which would make the Volvo PHEVs much better AWD vehicles. I was disappointed, however, to see that the battery pack is still only 10.7 kWh; considering that Volvo has been making PHEVs for some years now, it's a shame that they haven't been able to get their packs up to 15 or 20 kWh by now (even the much-smaller and much-cheaper Chevy Volt PHEV car has an 18.4-kWh battery pack).
      How much more you'd like to pay for the extra battery, and with worse highway MPG and acceleration when battery is low?

Volvo XC40 To Be Unveiled On October 16.

Volvo Press reelase - The fully electric XC40 SUV

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by volvocu View Post
      The reason for the small battery capacity is due to the fact that the battery is situated where the propshaft would normally be in a RWD or AWD car. This is intentional and part of the SPA strategy from the outset, providing a distinct advantage with regards to conserving boot space, as opposed to a significant loss in boot space of all competitors. I think the SPA2 platform will also utilize a similar solution albeit with improvements to the packaging; possibly allowing larger batteries and a larger electric engine in the rear somehow.
      I think electric cars should be designed from scratch rather than using a platform designed around an engine. That is likely a big reason why Tesla has so much more range than a lot of the competition.

I think electric cars should be designed from scratch rather than using a platform designed around an engine. That is likely a big reason why Tesla has so much more range than a lot of the competition.
      CMA platform is designed for both ICE and EV from start.

Tesla is light body (also not as strong), and maybe better motor and power management. Polestar tech stuff admit it.

Nice! Dual motors on front and rear. Great sibling of Polestar 2!

Seems I have now a reason to pick a EV, as I have only one power plug, to charge a PHEV everyday, and an EV every week at home.

Also would love to see if it uses Android UI.

Drive assist system is also a new one by Zenuity. Curve handling should be better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Conradi View Post

Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 09-25-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Actually what I have shared is valid for plug-in hybrid drivetrains. Pure EV design from scratch is indeed advantageous however thatís not the reason why Tesla has superior range, itís about their knowhow in battery management software and slightly modified batteries rather than off the shelf batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Conradi View Post

A little more on the all electric XC40. Can't wait to order one of these!

https://www.motor1.com/news/372720/v...ectric-teaser/
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2006 XC70 willow green (SOLD)
      2013 Tesla Model S (TOTALED 5/2019 )
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription Magic Metallic Blue (1st OSD) - traded in
      2019 Tesla Model S 100D - Deep Blue Metallic
      2020 XC90 T6 Inscription Onyx Black Metallic

It is all from the press release:
      https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...st-on-the-road

It will be interesting to see if people will ignore the coming XC40 PHEV because of the EV is coming.

I am mostly interested to know if it can be charged on other providers like Tesla superstation.
      The range is said to be 250 miles, means practically you will need to look for a charge station after 200 miles on a long trip.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 09-25-2019 at 04:24 PM.

PLEASE PLEASE let the all electric XC40 be a CBV option, by June 2020, just asking for a friend!
      2019 CBV XC40 P* Momentum Ice White/Black top, Charcoal inside

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Nice! Dual motors on front and rear. Great sibling of Polestar 2!

Seems I have now a reason to pick a EV, as I have only one power plug, to charge a PHEV everyday, and an EV every week at home.

Also would love to see if it uses Android UI.

Drive assist system is also a new one by Zenuity. Curve handling should be better now.
      Why do you think curve handling would be better?! The XC40 is top heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by krcossin View Post
      PLEASE PLEASE let the all electric XC40 be a CBV option, by June 2020, just asking for a friend!
      They will I think. All popular models are now included in CBV.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Marco1 View Post
      Why do you think curve handling would be better?! The XC40 is top heavy.
      I am talking about PA only. Not sporty driving.

And also EV is not top heavy.

I am talking about PA only. Not sporty driving.

And also EV is not top heavy.

I see. But it doesnt matter if its an EV or not, the tall narrow structure makes it top heavy (very SUV like top heavy). And there is a massive sunroof up there too.

I see. But it doesnt matter if its an EV or not, the tall narrow structure makes it top heavy (very SUV like top heavy). And there is a massive sunroof up there too.
      The heavy battery at bottom make the gravity center low, that simple.

TRUE

Also, the dimensions of the XC40 are 73" wide x 65" tall... it's wider than it is tall. With all that mass down low, the notion of it being top-heavy isn't really there.

And for completeness, it's 174" long. :-)
      2019 XC40 Momentum T5 + Polestar

1. Is there any indication as to the projected price range of the XCEV in the US?
      2. Was mentioned on this forum that you can order an XCEV in the UK now ..... any idea when the US market will start taking orders?

1. Is there any indication as to the projected price range of the XCEV in the US?
      2. Was mentioned on this forum that you can order an XCEV in the UK now ..... any idea when the US market will start taking orders?
      I don't think XC40 EV is open to order in UK. The PHEV is.
      Well, if they announce it this Oct, means production will start next April/May the earliest, arrive in late summer.
      Orders could be taken any time, hopefully this Nov/Dec, if they want some pre-orders before the holiday season.

For price, my wild guess is around $60k for higher trim. $40-50k for lower. Volvo usually build all trims together. So I hope they don't delay the lower trim cars.

It is all from the press release:
      https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...st-on-the-road

It will be interesting to see if people will ignore the coming XC40 PHEV because of the EV is coming.
      Actual range is the overwhelming factor here. Will be keeping a close eye on all of this. 2021 calendar year is shaping up to be the year of the electrics. More competition will be good, and more cars sold equal more charging options in the pipeline.

Actual range is the overwhelming factor here. Will be keeping a close eye on all of this. 2021 calendar year is shaping up to be the year of the electrics. More competition will be good, and more cars sold equal more charging options in the pipeline.
      My use of EV will be in town only, charged weekly at home. 200 miles range will be a good start.
      For long trips I'll only drive PHEV.

There are certainly other options from Hyundai, Kia, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf but they are lack on features I want: driver assist, nice dash and interior, etc.

How much more you'd like to pay for the extra battery, and with worse highway MPG and acceleration when battery is low?
      Well, as I've written before at swedespeed, I bought a Panamera 4 E-Hybrid (PHEV) last year, which has a 14-kWh battery pack, allowing me a solid 20-25 miles all-electric driving "around town" (including commuting to work) -- meaning going to a gas station only once every 5-6 weeks on average (when not driving out of town). When I did my 7600-mile, 2.5-week cross-country drive in it last year, I didn't plug in for 2.5 weeks after leaving home, and I averaged 28 mpg for the entire trip, with highway speeds usually around 80 mph (and my engine is a V6, not a 4-cylinder). I test-drove all the Volvo PHEVs prior to getting my Panamera, and was extremely disappointed in the Volvo T8 performance as well as the much poorer all-electric range. (And for those wanting to jump on the Panamera price, the starting price of my car was actually less than starting price as the top-of-the-line XC90 PHEV, as I recall.)

The simplicity of plugging in every night, avoiding gas stations as much as possible, having enough battery range to do most of my daily driving in EV mode (which is typically 20-30 miles), and having a car that's enjoyable to ride in are all important features to me. If Volvo had a 14- or 18-kWh battery pack in their PHEVs, I'd probably own one now; the 10-kWh packs are just too small. (Oh, and I'd even be willing to give up a LOT of interior space for that; in fact, delete the entire cargo space behind the second seat, give me a 50-kWh battery pack in a Volvo PHEV with AWD, and I'll happily pay whatever for that.). And Porsche increased their battery pack capacity from 10- to 14-kWh two years ago without any change in the size of the storage space; technology improved enough to do that. The increased cost should be rather small (in the $2k range, basically), which should not be an issue when buying a luxury car like Volvo. Yeah, if Volvo's engine technology is not good enough to average 28 mpg on a highway trip for a PHEV without plugging in, then there's a problem with Volvo's engines, I guess; my Panamera not only gets good gas mileage "just lugging that battery pack around", it has superb performance all the while (it always keeps enough EV battery juice in storage for all-out 462-hp acceleration when you need it).

I agree with you (more recent comment in this thread) that the way to go now is to have a PHEV for longer trips and a BEV for much/most local driving. Most BEV drivers are basically just "topping off" their charge in their garages at home each night, as on local commuting, most BEV drivers don't deplete much of their battery charge during a typical day (often using only 1/4 or 1/3 of capacity per day).
      Last edited by cometguy; 09-26-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      Well, as I've written before at swedespeed, I bought a Panamera 4 E-Hybrid (PHEV) last year, which has a 14-kWh battery pack, allowing me a solid 20-25 miles all-electric driving "around town" (including commuting to work) -- meaning going to a gas station only once every 5-6 weeks on average (when not driving out of town). When I did my 7600-mile, 2.5-week cross-country drive in it last year, I didn't plug in for 2.5 weeks after leaving home, and I averaged 28 mpg for the entire trip, with highway speeds usually around 80 mph (and my engine is a V6, not a 4-cylinder). I test-drove all the Volvo PHEVs prior to getting my Panamera, and was extremely disappointed in the Volvo T8 performance as well as the much poorer all-electric range. (And for those wanting to jump on the Panamera price, the starting price of my car was actually less than starting price as the top-of-the-line XC90 PHEV, as I recall.)

The simplicity of plugging in every night, avoiding gas stations as much as possible, having enough battery range to do most of my daily driving in EV mode (which is typically 20-30 miles), and having a car that's enjoyable to ride in are all important features to me. If Volvo had a 14- or 18-kWh battery pack in their PHEVs, I'd probably own one now; the 10-kWh packs are just too small. (Oh, and I'd even be willing to give up a LOT of interior space for that; in fact, delete the entire cargo space behind the second seat, give me a 50-kWh battery pack in a Volvo PHEV with AWD, and I'll happily pay whatever for that.). And Porsche increased their battery pack capacity from 10- to 14-kWh two years ago without any change in the size of the storage space; technology improved enough to do that. The increased cost should be rather small (in the $2k range, basically), which should not be an issue when buying a luxury car like Volvo. Yeah, if Volvo's engine technology is not good enough to average 28 mpg on a highway trip for a PHEV without plugging in, then there's a problem with Volvo's engines, I guess; my Panamera not only gets good gas mileage "just lugging that battery pack around", it has superb performance all the while (it always keeps enough EV battery juice in storage for all-out 462-hp acceleration when you need it).

I agree with you (more recent comment in this thread) that the way to go now is to have a PHEV for longer trips and a BEV for much/most local driving. Most BEV drivers are basically just "topping off" their charge in their garages at home each night, as on local commuting, most BEV drivers don't deplete much of their battery charge during a typical day (often using only 1/4 or 1/3 of capacity per day).
      Well the starting price of the current Panamera 4 E-Hybrid is $103,800. The price of the Volvo is way under that. The Excellence Model is no longer offered in the US. And while it hit $100,000 there was really nothing left to add on to the car. Porsche will allow you to paint the kitchen sink the same color as the custom color for the outside (for a price). Some other notables. The Volvo does in fact have a four versus Porsche with a six. But keep in mind that Volvo has committed to the environment. All their PHEVs meet the stringent air quality standards of California. Try getting your car approved for a Diamond Lane Sticker in California. You might say that is not a big deal. Well to many of us the Climate is a big deal. Porsche has never made the list of clean emission vehicles. I think that is a big deal. Just to be fair, I do like fast cars. But you are not comparing apples to apples. The Cayenne would be a better comparison. It is also faster but also does not meet emission standards that the Volvo does. Also the Porsche is not as large a vehicle as the XC90. PHEV vehicles generally have 20+- miles of range as that represents the typical commute. They also allow you to drive further than most all electric only vehicles. While the Tesla vehicles get good range, that is only because they have some of the largest batteries of any electric. Most small electric vehicles have around 65+- kwh batteries. Tesla goes up to 100 kwh. And of course the price of the car goes up substantially as well.

We are getting ready to turn our Chevy Bolt EV (65 kwh) in around January of 2020. While we were planning on the 2020 Soul EV, we may not consider the new XC40 EV. So I am excited that it is coming out so soon.
      Last edited by drmanny3; 09-27-2019 at 10:01 AM.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Well it's great the xc40 will have both. I don't think I could be comfortable with an all electric much lover than 280 ish range, for the just in case situations. It will be interesting to see what the real range of the Polestar 2 is and then what Volvo does with the 60 and 90 series eventually.

We are on our fourth all electric car. I can attest to having a short range as a pain in the ass. When we first got the Nissan Leaf in 2011 it had approximately 75 miles of range. I would take it to a client and sometimes literally limp home going very slowing on the freeway to try and make it the distance needed. There were not very many chargers out on the streets at first. The Kia Soul EV was a bit better at 105 miles, however it still limited the times I could take it on short business trips. The Rav4EV at 150 miles allowed me more room, however there were clients that were far enough away and the car did not come with a Fast Charger (DC Charger) so who would want to wait hours to get a few miles distance. The Chevy Bolt will do 220 miles going fast on the freeways. Today there are enough fast chargers so that you can plan your trip to insure you have enough juice to get back. It is not perfect but so much better. Driving one of these cars commuting to work is different than say going on a holiday. You still need to plan around where you will stop to charge on a long trip. For us, we like to make restroom stops every two to three hours. I just don't like driving straight for more than that without stopping to get out of the car and walk around. An electric car with a real world 220 to 275 mile range is pretty much ideal for the vast number of excursions. The DC chargers are fast at around 30 to 40 minutes that will give you approximately 90 to 120 more miles more range. That is still problematic, most people think a fast charger will give them a complete charge allowing the maximum distance again. The truth is you can get approximately 80% of the capacity during the charging period. In practice I try never to show up at a fast charger near empty. This is because sometimes the chargers are taken up by other people or they are off line. So you will need to find another. If that is the case you will need enough battery to get to another charger location. So it is rare that you show up having driven 95% of your range. Tesla did it right with their superchargers. They have a bank of chargers so waiting while possible is not necessarily a problem. Eventually you will get a shot at charging. On one trip I ended up at the charging station to find a car sitting in the spot but not hooked up. I had to go to various businesses and ask if they knew who the car belonged to. That was scary.

Some of the new software available allows you to reserve a charger for your use. There is a cost but it is not too bad. Also depending on how often you use a fast charger there are discounts where you pay a monthly fee for discounted charging. The system is getting better day by day. We are getting ready to turn in our Bolt in Dec/Jan and I will now consider the Volvo XC40 Electric. I would again lease as the technology is changing too dramatically to invest long term. Also we like getting new cars every three years. I just wish they offered the electric car in more exciting colors.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Another charging problem is, there are multiple charging company, and they require membership to give you discount. If you don't have their membership, price is much higher. It is like ATM machines from different banks that charges service fee but is worse than that. So there are other charge stations you within your range but you feel ripped to use. That is bad feeling.

Another charging problem is, there are multiple charging company, and they require membership to give you discount. If you don't have their membership, price is much higher. It is like ATM machines from different banks that charges service fee but is worse than that. So there are other charge stations you within your range but you feel ripped to use. That is bad feeling.
      Yes I agree, it is best to join them all. We carry around three cards at all times. Thus far never had an issue. Worst case you can usually call a phone number on the charger and they will take a credit card and allow you to charge. You have to read the find print when using the level two chargers that are 240 volts. Sometimes after a certain amount of time the prices goes up super big time. I have had this happen at a client where I would need to go and change chargers or disconnect and then reconnect every three hours during the day to avoid $10 per hour versus $1 per hour.
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast