Turning off Headlight Washers?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Turning off Headlight Washers?

Is it possible to turn off the headlight washers via VIDA? They waste so much fluid and covers the front if the car with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      2015 Crystal White Pearl S60 T6 R-Design
      KPAX Catback Exhaust
      Powerflex Torque Rod Insert
      IPD Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks
      18" Polestar Replicas

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Idk.. just pop the fuse out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

Quote Originally Posted by emgrock1 View Post
      Idk.. just pop the fuse out.

+1 that was the first thing I did when I got the car. Lame feature.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      +1 that was the first thing I did when I got the car. Lame feature.
      I use it when we get into the heavy snow / salt months but for like 9 months out of the year it just pisses fluid all over the car for no reason.

I use it when we get into the heavy snow / salt months but for like 9 months out of the year it just pisses fluid all over the car for no reason.

Any dash message when pulling fuse? I avoid the windshield washer for your exact reason.
      2017 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Venth View Post
      Any dash message when pulling fuse? I avoid the windshield washer for your exact reason.
      Nope

Washer fluid is like $2 a gallon and a gallon lasts me a year or more. If that's breaking your bank, there are probably other places to look for economising first.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      Washer fluid is like $2 a gallon and a gallon lasts me a year or more. If that's breaking your bank, there are probably other places to look for economising first.
      You clearly didn't read the comments. It sprays the whole front of your freshly detailed car with methanol which leaves wonderful streaks and spots.

You clearly didn't read the comments. It sprays the whole front of your freshly detailed car with methanol which leaves wonderful streaks and spots.
      What are you mixing with your washer fluid that it's leaving steaks and spots? Can't say I have that problem at all.

What are you mixing with your washer fluid that it's leaving steaks and spots? Can't say I have that problem at all.
      No one said anything about saving money; it's a matter of disabling a worthless feature that, in my opinion, is ineffective.
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

No one said anything about saving money; it's a matter of disabling a worthless feature that, in my opinion, is ineffective.
      Your right, and why try to shame someone even "if" they wanted to save fluid? so what?

Is it easy to reach that fuse? Isn't it in a panel covered by another fuse panel?

My car is white, and I don't like bathing the hood in blue-green fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Venth View Post
      No dash light, but Vida will have a code as long as the fuse it out.

Quote Originally Posted by vroomr View Post
      Is it easy to reach that fuse? Isn't it in a panel covered by another fuse panel?

Mine is in my XC60. It was a little odd the way the first panel comes up, but I forget exactly how to do it now, if it's even the same on your car as mine.
      2010 XC60 T6 Sapphire Black Metallic (TFT DIM retrofit, DynoMax muffler, Eibach lowering springs & Koni struts, HardRace adjustable rear toe arms)
      2004 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon 2.5 White Frost Pearl (Also mine) | 2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 AWD Olympic White (Hers)

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      Your right, and why try to shame someone even "if" they wanted to save fluid? so what? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.swedespeed.com/images/smilies/nono.gif[/IMG]
      Who's trying to shame anyone? I just don't see the point when fluid is cheap and shouldn't be leaving streaks or spots unless it's contaminated.

OP complained that it "wastes" fluid, which suggested that he's concerned about using too much. I attempted (and clearly failed) to point out humorously that there's no need to worry about wasting something so cheap. But hey, it's the internet so I guess I'm evil. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For whatever it's worth, I apologise for failing to remember that a joking tone does not translate well into text. I assure you that in person it would have come off differently.
      Last edited by zenmervolt; 09-17-2019 at 08:30 PM.

The only reason I keep mine on is to spray the person driving too close behind me. It sends 2 huge mist clouds around the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

To save my washer fluid I tailgate Seamus to get a free windshield wash from his fluid.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD Sport Suspension, ipd rear sway bar, 19 inch Bor wheels, Polestar Optimization, Premium Plus, Silver
      Previous: 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon, 1989 MX-6 GT 4WS, 1979 GS-1000E

+1 I hate this feature. Fuse removal is a good idea, never thought about it.
      Last edited by thezoneS60; 09-18-2019 at 06:55 AM.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design - Rebel Blue - Polestar Tune - Polestar Performance Chassis - Polestar Performance Cat Back Exhaust
      2012 XC90 3.2 R-Design - Ice White

You can also pull Relay R1 if that's easier to get to. No idea where this is though but an easier solution if you don't want the headlight washers to operate is to quickly pull and release the washer stalk. This activates the windshield washer pump but not the headlight washer. I've been doing this for years. Just a few quick pulls puts enough fluid on the windshield without getting the headlights washed. This way if you want the headlights washed from road salt or mud they are available to you. Win win.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by ecoDrive; 09-18-2019 at 06:29 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by vroomr View Post

The fuse is in the box under the hood - once you identify the number, it's easy enough to pull out.
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

Who's trying to shame anyone? I just don't see the point when fluid is cheap and shouldn't be leaving streaks or spots unless it's contaminated.

OP complained that it "wastes" fluid, which suggested that he's concerned about using too much. I attempted (and clearly failed) to point out humorously that there's no need to worry about wasting something so cheap. But hey, it's the internet so I guess I'm evil. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For whatever it's worth, I apologise for failing to remember that a joking tone does not translate well into text. I assure you that in person it would have come off differently.
      I literally go thru a gallon a week during the winter months because of this feature, but I can go all summer on 1 gallon

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      2015 Crystal White Pearl S60 T6 R-Design
      KPAX Catback Exhaust
      Powerflex Torque Rod Insert
      IPD Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks
      18" Polestar Replicas

Quote Originally Posted by willkoch1990 View Post
      I literally go thru a gallon a week during the winter months because of this feature, but I can go all summer on 1 gallon
      I'll admit that is a lot to go through, but man you must be using the washer a lot. I've lived on the Lake Erie shore and in Pittsburgh so I know how grimy things get in the winter with slush and snow and even then I would only need to use my washers once or twice a month in winter.

I understand where you're coming from with that level of usage, but if the windshield is getting that dirty that fast your headlights are going to be even dirtier because they're lower to the ground and all the kicked up slush spray. If you're having trouble seeing through the windshield to the point that you need to use the washer, your headlights are dirty (and therefore dimmed) enough to need cleaning too.

The system should only be washing the headlights if the lights are on; if the lights are off it's not supposed to spray them.

From my manual:
      High-pressure headlight washing*
      High-pressure headlight washing consumes a large quantity of washer fluid. To save fluid, the headlights are washed using two alternatives:
      • Low/high beam headlights on. The headlights will be washed the first time the windshield is washed. Thereafter, the headlights will only be washed once for every five times the windshield is washed within a 10-minute period.
      • Parking lights on. Optional Active Bending Lights will be washed once for every five times the windshield is washed. Normal halogen headlights will not be washed.
      Last edited by zenmervolt; 09-18-2019 at 10:50 AM.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements