2016 XC90 just out of warranty, having engine misfire issue - need advice
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2016 XC90 just out of warranty, having engine misfire issue - need advice

Appealing to this group for advice...

So I've been hit with the engine misfire issue. Dealer diagnosed it as failed spark plug on cylinder 3, loss of compression and potentially engine damage. Dealer is saying that they need to do further teardown which would cost $3500 (?!). Carmax MaxCare left me out to dry, saying that spark plugs and damages resulting from bad spark plugs aren't covered.

I'm currently at ~52200 miles. The service advisor said they will talk to Volvo and see what they're willing to do to help. I already emailed VCNA requesting that they extend coverage since the issue is due to a bad spark plug that has a known TSB on it. I get that I should have done my research first but how can a such a TSB not turn into a recall?

Do I have an argument with VCNA or should I get an lawyer on this?

thanks in advance.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Crystal White/Amber | 21" 8-spoke | B/W | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air |

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Personally, I think contacting a lawyer at this time will only help the lawyer make his yacht payment. Give Volvo a chance to look into this. My limited experience with Volvo Customer Service is that they are fair and will rise to the occasion. If you start from an antagonist position, you probably will kill the goose. If you are the original owner you even have a stronger position. If you are no but have had the car serviced at the required intervals then you are probably ok. Something like this is not a normal wear issue. I am kind of surprised that the Dealer would have quoted you $3500 for investigating the issue. That sounds like more of a complete repair estimate without any assistance from Volvo. Spark plugs normally do not break. As you mentioned there is a Bulletin out there for spark plugs. I suspect Volvo will stand by you. Keep us advised.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

For the spark plug issue on early cars, as we all know, Volvo should have better done with a recall, instead of "service campaign" that will surely miss some cars in the wild. Now this is one example of those missed cars. Yeh, send the request to Volvo and see how they will respond.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by omnimax View Post
      Appealing to this group for advice...

So I've been hit with the engine misfire issue. Dealer diagnosed it as failed spark plug on cylinder 3, loss of compression and potentially engine damage. Dealer is saying that they need to do further teardown which would cost $3500 (?!). Carmax MaxCare left me out to dry, saying that spark plugs and damages resulting from bad spark plugs aren't covered.

I'm currently at ~52200 miles. The service advisor said they will talk to Volvo and see what they're willing to do to help. I already emailed VCNA requesting that they extend coverage since the issue is due to a bad spark plug that has a known TSB on it. I get that I should have done my research first but how can a such a TSB not turn into a recall?

Do I have an argument with VCNA or should I get an lawyer on this?

thanks in advance.
      Do you have the service history to the car? Was all maintenance performed by a Volvo Dealer?

Volvo might be willing to do a Good Will if you can show the service history without interruption. Let me know the answer.

What you would do if you can show service history:

1. Go to Volvo Dealer where the car was last serviced (if possible) and speak to general manager. Politely explain issue and ask if he could intervene on your behalf for a Volvo Good Will.

2. Reach out to Corporate and Email Executives.

LAWYER

How long have you owned vehicle? When did the issue occur (how long after ownership)? And what does MaxCare about covering the issue?

Thanks for the responses!

Some more info:

- Issue occurred last Friday. I had around 52K miles

- I got the car at CarMax with 17K miles on it so I'm the 2nd owner. I even paid the San Jose Volvo dealer do a pre-purchase inspection.

- I had all of my services from 20K up to 50K at the San Jose Volvo dealer so they have complete records, including some warranty repairs like a ripped dashboard and a couple of non-trivial repairs like replaced rear rotors.

- the $3500 is for the teardown to understand the root cause. The advisor said that it could be a compromised cylinder head and the rest could be machined back to useable and the $3500 would be it. Or worst case, engine replacement which is 16K

- I learned from the service advisor that the spark plugs were replaced at the 30K service which makes the situation even more galling. Based on their maintenance schedule, plugs are meant to go 60K. Failing at 52K meant that it didn't even go half of it's expected service life. That's why I feel like there's an argument for warranty coverage.

- Link to TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...46104-9999.pdf - what is surprising is that they explicitly stated that they won't contact customers on this. That's pretty shocking considering that Volvo MUST know that a bad spark plug could very well lead to engine replacement. In my case, while they did replace the plugs, how did they still fail?? Unless they replaced it with the old plugs??

- I did email VCNA customer care and someone did call me back to understand the situation. I did appeal to them to help extend warranty coverage and they said they're reviewing the details with the dealer now.

- CarMax MaxCare said spark plugs are consumables so not covered and any resulting damage is not covered. I can see how legally, that's an out for them and they wouldn't budge. So much for buying this warranty.

The San Jose dealer advisor seems to be working with me. The lady is helping me to reach out to Volvo as well and asking for some goodwill support because she also believes this is pretty extraordinary situation.

I'm definitely willing to give Volvo the chance to make me whole. I'm willing to take the hit on resale value if they just make the car whole again.

I have not made any mention of legal action, just an appeal for help. I'm just starting to plan the worst cast where I'm left high/dry.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Crystal White/Amber | 21" 8-spoke | B/W | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air |

Take it to another shop for a second opinion. They should be able to scope it and do a compression test. I realize that some of this may have been done already, but get a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2008 Volvo C30:
      Darton wet sleeves|CP Carrillo pistons&rods|Upgraded injectors|K16 turbo|3"downpipe|ELEVATE:cat back|custom intake|turbo intercooler hard pipe|lower motor mount|turbo blanket|intake plenum|downpipe wrap|dual bypass valve|lowering springs|rear camber arms|do88 FMIC|Porche 70mm TB|BMC air filter|MAF upgrade|Turbosmart waste gate|meth injection|IPD brake lines|NGK iridium 1 step colder|APR head studs|AEM AFR/Boost Gauge|Hilton Tuning

- I learned from the service advisor that the spark plugs were replaced at the 30K service which makes the situation even more galling. Based on their maintenance schedule, plugs are meant to go 60K. Failing at 52K meant that it didn't even go half of it's expected service life. That's why I feel like there's an argument for warranty coverage.

- CarMax MaxCare said spark plugs are consumables so not covered and any resulting damage is not covered. I can see how legally, that's an out for them and they wouldn't budge. So much for buying this warranty.
      I don't get your CarMax issue. The plugs were replaced by Volvo, I don't see how this is on CarMax in any way now. Hopefully Volvo makes you whole though, or close.

Thanks for the responses!

Some more info:

- Issue occurred last Friday. I had around 52K miles

- I got the car at CarMax with 17K miles on it so I'm the 2nd owner. I even paid the San Jose Volvo dealer do a pre-purchase inspection.

- I had all of my services from 20K up to 50K at the San Jose Volvo dealer so they have complete records, including some warranty repairs like a ripped dashboard and a couple of non-trivial repairs like replaced rear rotors.

- the $3500 is for the teardown to understand the root cause. The advisor said that it could be a compromised cylinder head and the rest could be machined back to useable and the $3500 would be it. Or worst case, engine replacement which is 16K

- Link to TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...46104-9999.pdf - what is surprising is that they explicitly stated that they won't contact customers on this. That's pretty shocking considering that Volvo MUST know that a bad spark plug could very well lead to engine replacement. In my case, while they did replace the plugs, how did they still fail?? Unless they replaced it with the old plugs??

- I did email VCNA customer care and someone did call me back to understand the situation. I did appeal to them to help extend warranty coverage and they said they're reviewing the details with the dealer now.

The San Jose dealer advisor seems to be working with me. The lady is helping me to reach out to Volvo as well and asking for some goodwill support because she also believes this is pretty extraordinary situation.

I'm definitely willing to give Volvo the chance to make me whole. I'm willing to take the hit on resale value if they just make the car whole again.

I have not made any mention of legal action, just an appeal for help. I'm just starting to plan the worst cast where I'm left high/dry.
      Ok so this is all very good news.

1. There was a technical journey out about spark plugs. Yours were replaced. Make sure you have a copy of record from Volvo of San Jose. If you don't get a copy.

2. Get a second opinion on the engine from another Volvo. Submit that opinion, the 10-50K service records, along with the replacement of Spark Plugs to the CarMax warranty company. With the intent to show that the plugs did NOT damage engine. And also that the vehicle now has a mechanical failure that should be covered under warranty. Unrelated to the spark plugs

3. Wait for their response. If denied, go down and talk to General Manager at San Jose. Let him know that the vehicle was exclusively serviced at Volvo from 10-50K. Could he reach out to Volvo on your behalf and advocate for a good will repair. The vehicle is not at 52,000 miles.

4. If the General Manager can't help. We can email the executives. But go ahead try all this first. The executives will have more clout than a rep at VCNA.

FYI, there's another thread on here about someone going through exact issue with CarMax Warranty and Volvo!

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Ok so this is all very good news.

1. There was a technical journey out about spark plugs. Yours were replaced. Make sure you have a copy of record from Volvo of San Jose. If you don't get a copy.

2. Get a second opinion on the engine from another Volvo. Submit that opinion, the 10-50K service records, along with the replacement of Spark Plugs to the CarMax warranty company. With the intent to show that the plugs did NOT damage engine. And also that the vehicle now has a mechanical failure that should be covered under warranty. Unrelated to the spark plugs

3. Wait for their response. If denied, go down and talk to General Manager at San Jose. Let him know that the vehicle was exclusively serviced at Volvo from 10-50K. Could he reach out to Volvo on your behalf and advocate for a good will repair. The vehicle is not at 52,000 miles.

4. If the General Manager can't help. We can email the executives. But go ahead try all this first. The executives will have more clout than a rep at VCNA.

FYI, there's another thread on here about someone going through exact issue with CarMax Warranty and Volvo!
      Thanks for the help!

1 - I'll get a copy.

2 - I didn't think about it that way. Right now, my car is sitting at the dealer while the dealer waits on a response from Volvo NA. I guess should it get to point where I'm really left out in the cold, I could try this but I suspect there's going to be a record that the dealer called earlier for a similar issue that MaxCare may get suspicious.

3. Waiting on their response. Will try to work the dealer as much as I can.

4. I'll try that as a last ditch effort.

I'm thinking I should inquire about how much my XC90 will be worth with a dead engine...AT worst case, If I'm really screwed and lawyer doesn't help, I want to just sell it as is, take the loss and be done with Volvo.

Thanks for the help!

1 - I'll get a copy.
      Good

2 - I didn't think about it that way. Right now, my car is sitting at the dealer while the dealer waits on a response from Volvo NA. I guess should it get to point where I'm really left out in the cold, I could try this but I suspect there's going to be a record that the dealer called earlier for a similar issue that MaxCare may get suspicious.
      So what if another Volvo sees you had the issue inspected? I've taken my car to different dealers when dealer 1 had no clue...But dealer #2 was able to solve. I would ABSOLUTELY not pay the $3500 diagnostic fee. That's for MaxCare to cover. Get another opinion if Volvo of San Jose cannot give you one that's conclusive enough. You're trying to back MaxCare into the wall so they can't weasel out of paying. I.E. Spark Plugs new + Replaced. All Services Done at Volvo. Only thing it could be is Engine and that now is bad UNDER their warranty!

3. Waiting on their response. Will try to work the dealer as much as I can.
      Work specifically with General Manager as much as possible or make sure Service Manager + General Manager are communicating. I'd make an effort to sit down with General Manager face to face and explain that situation. Getting him on board could make this a much quicker process.

4. I'll try that as a last ditch effort.
      Executives are always a means of last resort. Try #3 first.

I'm thinking I should inquire about how much my XC90 will be worth with a dead engine...AT worst case, If I'm really screwed and lawyer doesn't help, I want to just sell it as is, take the loss and be done with Volvo.
      Dont think of the worst.. you've got a long way to go.

Good
      Got the receipt for the spark plugs being changed out at 25K miles when I took my car in for a wiper issue. This is even more galling to me, plugs didn't make it past 1/3 of its service life!

So what if another Volvo sees you had the issue inspected? I've taken my car to different dealers when dealer 1 had no clue...But dealer #2 was able to solve. I would ABSOLUTELY not pay the $3500 diagnostic fee. That's for MaxCare to cover. Get another opinion if Volvo of San Jose cannot give you one that's conclusive enough. You're trying to back MaxCare into the wall so they can't weasel out of paying. I.E. Spark Plugs new + Replaced. All Services Done at Volvo. Only thing it could be is Engine and that now is bad UNDER their warranty!
      I meant to say that if I take it to another Volvo dealer, MaxCare would already have a record of the 1st call and if it gets another call about the same car and similar problem, they may get suspicious. but I agree with the point, need to find a way to pin them to the corner.

Work specifically with General Manager as much as possible or make sure Service Manager + General Manager are communicating. I'd make an effort to sit down with General Manager face to face and explain that situation. Getting him on board could make this a much quicker process.
      gonna stop by today to pick up some belongings from the car. Will ask to speak with either the service mgr or GM, whoever will talk to me.

Emailed Volvo a couple of times, no response yet.

Got the receipt for the spark plugs being changed out at 25K miles when I took my car in for a wiper issue. This is even more galling to me, plugs didn't make it past 1/3 of its service life!

I meant to say that if I take it to another Volvo dealer, MaxCare would already have a record of the 1st call and if it gets another call about the same car and similar problem, they may get suspicious. but I agree with the point, need to find a way to pin them to the corner.

gonna stop by today to pick up some belongings from the car. Will ask to speak with either the service mgr or GM, whoever will talk to me.

Emailed Volvo a couple of times, no response yet.
      Spark plugs (not sure all models affected) were replaced for a known issue. They would break off and foul engine if I recall correctly. So it has nothing to do with them being unable to hit 60K. It was a design flaw that Volvo wanted to rectify before facing far more costly repairs.

What became of your visit to the Service / General Manager?

Emailing Volvo is ok... but let's wait to email the big wigs (CEO). This step is one of last resort if people on the food chain won't assist. It works about 50/50 so if you exhaust this option before taking the appropriate steps, you may be out of luck.

Spark plugs (not sure all models affected) were replaced for a known issue. They would break off and foul engine if I recall correctly. So it has nothing to do with them being unable to hit 60K. It was a design flaw that Volvo wanted to rectify before facing far more costly repairs.

What became of your visit to the Service / General Manager?

Emailing Volvo is ok... but let's wait to email the big wigs (CEO). This step is one of last resort if people on the food chain won't assist. It works about 50/50 so if you exhaust this option before taking the appropriate steps, you may be out of luck.
      Things kind of turned for the worse....

I spoke with the service mgr this morning and he was very sympathetic to my plight. He fully agrees that a spark plug just should not break, let alone have the porcelain piece shatter and wreck havoc in the engine. Said that we shouldn't even be having this conversation at 52K miles. He agrees that given the circumstances of my case, he says I should have a strong case for good will support because he's seen Volvo do it for much less egregious. He explained the technicality that Volvo will try to stick to but believes Volvo will "do the right thing" here. He said he'll update the case file with his findings but he recommended that I "raise hell" with Customer Care in NJ and he can try to help it along.

Fast forward 15 mins, I get off the phone with Volvo customer care in NJ and the rep said the goodwill claim was DENIED but did not specify why. I explained my reasoning to have the case reassessed and that it just straight up looks like a part just failed when it shouldn't have. I also ask that Volvo, in my view, do the right thing here. I also asked why there wasn't even meeting half way discussion, like I pay something and Volvo covers the rest and said I'm open that solution but I'm pushing for full warranty coverage given the circumstances.

I walked back to my service mgr and he looked up my case and confirmed that it was open now and just added his comments from our earlier discussion. He did mention he would know a couple of ways to escalate it. I don't normally trust dealers when they say stuff but at this point, I'm taking all the help that I can.

No emailing big wigs, I'm fine going through the process if it will help matters. My heart literally sank when rep said the claim was denied. I will consult with an attorney just to understand if there is legal recourse here and if I have a case, keep that in my back pocket. If Volvo is going to make me pay, I rather pay an attorney instead because I feel wronged here.

Things kind of turned for the worse....

I spoke with the service mgr this morning and he was very sympathetic to my plight. He fully agrees that a spark plug just should not break, let alone have the porcelain piece shatter and wreck havoc in the engine. Said that we shouldn't even be having this conversation at 52K miles. He agrees that given the circumstances of my case, he says I should have a strong case for good will support because he's seen Volvo do it for much less egregious. He explained the technicality that Volvo will try to stick to but believes Volvo will "do the right thing" here. He said he'll update the case file with his findings but he recommended that I "raise hell" with Customer Care in NJ and he can try to help it along.

Fast forward 15 mins, I get off the phone with Volvo customer care in NJ and the rep said the goodwill claim was DENIED but did not specify why. I explained my reasoning to have the case reassessed and that it just straight up looks like a part just failed when it shouldn't have. I also ask that Volvo, in my view, do the right thing here. I also asked why there wasn't even meeting half way discussion, like I pay something and Volvo covers the rest and said I'm open that solution but I'm pushing for full warranty coverage given the circumstances.

I walked back to my service mgr and he looked up my case and confirmed that it was open now and just added his comments from our earlier discussion. He did mention he would know a couple of ways to escalate it. I don't normally trust dealers when they say stuff but at this point, I'm taking all the help that I can.

No emailing big wigs, I'm fine going through the process if it will help matters. My heart literally sank when rep said the claim was denied. I will consult with an attorney just to understand if there is legal recourse here and if I have a case, keep that in my back pocket. If Volvo is going to make me pay, I rather pay an attorney instead because I feel wronged here.
      1. I would talk directly to the Dealership General Manager at this point Get him involved to try and "change Volvo's outlook". I'd do this as soon as possible!

2. I'm not a lawyer, but your car was purchased use, so protections are limited. Your only recourse will probably be against WarranTech, if I were to venture a guess. It can't hurt to talk to a few lawyers for a free consultation.

However, I wouldn't make legal action my first choice. Try talking to General Manager ASAP. If that falls flat, we'll email executives.

Did you ever get 2nd opinion from another Volvo or Mechanic to back WarranTech into a wall and tie their hands?

1. I would talk directly to the Dealership General Manager at this point Get him involved to try and "change Volvo's outlook". I'd do this as soon as possible!

2. I'm not a lawyer, but your car was purchased use, so protections are limited. Your only recourse will probably be against WarranTech, if I were to venture a guess. It can't hurt to talk to a few lawyers for a free consultation.

However, I wouldn't make legal action my first choice. Try talking to General Manager ASAP. If that falls flat, we'll email executives.

Did you ever get 2nd opinion from another Volvo or Mechanic to back WarranTech into a wall and tie their hands?
      This is simple. Get a lawyer as your last resort.
      This is an issue of Strict Liability. Was Volvo Aware of this? Did Volvo service the car? (Your records show that they did) Were the Spark Plugs (defective) replaced? (Your records show that they were) Did the Spark Plugs have a known history of breaking down? In Strict Liability, you can not only go after Volvo but the entire chain of manufacturers and suppliers. It DOESN'T MATTER if you are the first or the 50th owner.

That is the good news. The bad news is hiring the right legal firm to represent you. They are not cheap. An ambulance chaser won't work here.

good grief....i hope VIP warranty covers for stuff like this especially when you do all the servicing at a dealer.....

Quote Originally Posted by jnusaputra View Post
      good grief....i hope VIP warranty covers for stuff like this especially when you do all the servicing at a dealer.....
      The dealer said VIP would have covered this so if you got it, you should be ok. I didn't have VIP because I bought my car used from CarMax and this apparently was a loop hole in their MaxCare warranty (IMO).

My net takeaway, buy CPO and if you want, extended warranty endorsed by Volvo/car maker.

The dealer said VIP would have covered this so if you got it, you should be ok. I didn't have VIP because I bought my car used from CarMax and this apparently was a loop hole in their MaxCare warranty (IMO).

My net takeaway, buy CPO and if you want, extended warranty endorsed by Volvo/car maker.
      3rd party warranties are junk. And even extended warranties may have their caveats. Though a CPO is quite nice through Volvo (backed by Fidelity).

The spark plug change was required because the original parts from factory on early 2016 cars were defective....

Never mind, dup reply.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 09-21-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      The spark plug change was required because the original parts from factory on early 2016 cars were defective....

Never mind, dup reply.

I don't believe the spark plug change was considered required otherwise, it would have been a recall (which is what it should have been).

I don't believe the spark plug change was considered required otherwise, it would have been a recall (which is what it should have been).
      There is a service campaign asking dealer to change them for every qualified car coming in service.

They just didn't send notice to owners like a recall.

Of course there is still a problem: some cars may be scheduled for service after nearly one year from the starting of service campaign, and it could be too late.

Another problem could be some new spark plugs still broke off prematurely, like what happened in your car.

Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 09-21-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Wasn't a recall, but the minute your car went in for service, the plugs were swapped. They could break and damage the engine. So dealers were instructed to replace ASAP.

This seems like an awful situation.

I'm honestly shocked Volvo hasn't stepped up on this one.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Doesn't Volvo provide a lifetime warranty on parts replaced by them? So if the spark plugs were replaced by a Volvo dealer, and thats the reason for the engine damage, you should be good, shouldn't you? If that wasn't the reason for the engine damage, and the car is out of warranty, it seems like your beef is with Carmax MaxCare, rather than Volvo, in which case I'm not at all surprised that Volvo hasn't stepped in.
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post
      Doesn't Volvo provide a lifetime warranty on parts replaced by them? So if the spark plugs were replaced by a Volvo dealer, and thats the reason for the engine damage, you should be good, shouldn't you? If that wasn't the reason for the engine damage, and the car is out of warranty, it seems like your beef is with Carmax MaxCare, rather than Volvo, in which case I'm not at all surprised that Volvo hasn't stepped in.
      Lifetime parts warranty only applies to parts replaced out of warranty. And related engine damage probably is not covered like spark plugs.

Lifetime parts warranty only applies to parts replaced out of warranty. And related engine damage probably is not covered like spark plugs.
      I presume you mean parts paid for by the customer? For example, I could be in warranty and get them to replace or install something, like a booster seat, or a tow hitch, or, in my case, a new front seat cover - if those parts are paid for, its still a lifetime parts warranty, but if a part is replaced and is paid for by Volvo, its not covered by the same lifetime parts warranty.
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post
      I presume you mean parts paid for by the customer? For example, I could be in warranty and get them to replace or install something, like a booster seat, or a tow hitch, or, in my case, a new front seat cover - if those parts are paid for, its still a lifetime parts warranty, but if a part is replaced and is paid for by Volvo, its not covered by the same lifetime parts warranty.
      Yes. Customer had to pay for the parts. Exclusions include Warranty Repairs and I believe Auto Accidents. Could be wrong on the second part, but pretty sure things done under insurance weren't covered either.

I believe if the plugs broke, and the plugs couldn't be retracted, all related engine damage was covered by Volvo. Since the onus lies on Volvo for having a bad part.

I believe if the plugs broke, and the plugs couldn't be retracted, all related engine damage was covered by Volvo. Since the onus lies on Volvo for having a bad part.
      the service mgr explained that the way Volvo does it is that the replacement of plugs under the service action was meant to bridge the gap to the end of the regular warranty. No new warranty thread is spawned off that goes beyond the 50K warranty. He said the only time that's not the case is if the part was replaced within 1yr or 12K miles before the end of the warranty. That's the only time they would extend the warranty but only on that part.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      This seems like an awful situation.

I'm honestly shocked Volvo hasn't stepped up on this one.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
      Thank you.

I thought this case would be pretty cut/dry but apparently it isn't. Some friends and relatives even suggested that I go to the media with this due to how egregious this situation is. I'll wait until I can speak to a lawyer before doing that.

In the end, I shouldn't surprised. Companies in general will find ways to skirt responsibility if there's a means to do so like "you're out of warranty, not our problem".

the service mgr explained that the way Volvo does it is that the replacement of plugs under the service action was meant to bridge the gap to the end of the regular warranty. No new warranty thread is spawned off that goes beyond the 50K warranty. He said the only time that's not the case is if the part was replaced within 1yr or 12K miles before the end of the warranty. That's the only time they would extend the warranty but only on that part.
      I imagine that almost all people who have taken their vehicle in for their 10, 20, and 30K maintenance had their plugs replaced. And if for some reason the dealer failed to, and the plugs broke, Volvo would probably good will this action. Especially if the owner demonstrated the vehicle was taken in for service, and the dealer failed to act on the service action. Resulting in the engine failure.

Not aware of a single instance where Volvo has left an owner in the lurch here.

I imagine that almost all people who have taken their vehicle in for their 10, 20, and 30K maintenance had their plugs replaced. And if for some reason the dealer failed to, and the plugs broke, Volvo would probably good will this action. Especially if the owner demonstrated the vehicle was taken in for service, and the dealer failed to act on the service action. Resulting in the engine failure.

Not aware of a single instance where Volvo has left an owner in the lurch here.
      Right, that's what I'm hoping for from Volvo. The plugs were replaced but they didn't even survive half of their service life. I'm still reeling from Volvo denying my claim for the 1st time so I'm exploring the legal options now.

Several friends suggested that I go to the media about this, like those consumer action reports we all see on the local news. Hmmm....that sounds like last last resort to me.

Thanks all of you for the support and advice

I'm pretty surprised the goodwill was denied. Did they know you had a warranty through Carmax? That may be why it was denied if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I'm pretty surprised the goodwill was denied. Did they know you had a warranty through Carmax? That may be why it was denied if they did.
      I'm not sure that Volvo knows that I would think they most likely do. The dealer to call it in to Carmax initially but they denied the claim as spark plugs aren't covered, hence why I'm down this path now. I would imagine the dealer told Volvo.
      Last edited by omnimax; 09-24-2019 at 01:52 PM.

I'm not sure that Volvo knows that I would think they most likely do. The dealer to call it in to Carmax initially but they denied the claim as spark plugs aren't covered, hence why I'm down this path now. I would imagine the dealer told Volvo.
      Is the dealer advocating on your behalf to Volvo (General Manager) or has Volvo stated it won't good will? If the answer is no, I suggest we try emailing executives, in hopes the higher ups will reverse the prior decision.

Let me know if you want to give this step a try.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast