2016 XC90 just out of warranty, having engine misfire issue - need advice - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      I am shocked they will not fix engine at 2K over warranty, ESPECIALLY given that they replaced the plugs and you have factory maintenance. Makes me glad I'm leasing and steers me to not buy another Volvo. For the $$$ they need to stand behind the product. I would small claims carmax if push comes to shove
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Brown Leather, Advanced Package, Charcoal Headliner, 20" OEM Wheels, Wife's ride
      Jeep WK2 owner x 3 (2011, 2014, 2016) Great vehicles, underrated IMO
      Dodge Durango 2016 Family hauler
      First car 1987 Volvo 740 GLE 5 spd RWD, acquired at 130K

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by specepic View Post
      I am shocked they will not fix engine at 2K over warranty, ESPECIALLY given that they replaced the plugs and you have factory maintenance. Makes me glad I'm leasing and steers me to not buy another Volvo. For the $$$ they need to stand behind the product. I would small claims carmax if push comes to shove
      Lets not forget that he is OUT of warranty. Yes, its only 2k miles, but he's still out of warranty. It would really be nice if Volvo did fix it, but they've got no obligation to do so
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

So I got an update today after speaking with the service mgr. He said that Volvo is requesting a couple of engine tests, like compression and something else I can't recall right now. Said they can do those tests without opening the engine and this is Volvo sizing up and understanding the problem.

IT seems like the service mgr is advocating for me because he said since I called, they did re-open it and his comments help guide them to re-look at it. He said Volvo can still say no and I'll be on the hook for the tests but should not be as bad as a teardown.

I guess this is progress. I'm not sure if this means that Volvo might end up helping me but it's some kind of progress.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Crystal White/Amber | 21" 8-spoke | B/W | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air |

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post
      Lets not forget that he is OUT of warranty. Yes, its only 2k miles, but he's still out of warranty. It would really be nice if Volvo did fix it, but they've got no obligation to do so
      Correct, this is an appeal for good will support.

Quote Originally Posted by specepic View Post
      But personally, this is leaving a very sore taste in my mouth and has affected me emotionally given how much I loved the car prior to this incident. I personally won't steer anyone to a Volvo after all this.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Crystal White/Amber | 21" 8-spoke | B/W | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air |

Quote Originally Posted by omnimax View Post
      Correct, this is an appeal for good will support.

But personally, this is leaving a very sore taste in my mouth and has affected me emotionally given how much I loved the car prior to this incident. I personally won't steer anyone to a Volvo after all this.
      Good to hear Volvo is being more sensible. Be polite, but firm, and work closely with the Service Manager and General Manager. These two individuals have sway with Volvo, as you've found out by now.

If this somehow breaks down, we will contact the executives for intervention. But let this process with the service manager and general manager play out first. No need to burn bridges if you're making progress.

I have two comments. First, I have a hard time understanding exactly how a tiny porcelain piece (can only be the electrode, all the rest of the porcelain on a spark plug is up-top and can't get into the cylinder, past the bolted-in metal body) can cause catastrophic damage. But even if that is the case, I would have them source a good warrantied used engine with comparable miles. That should run worst case, including installation etc, $5K. If you can go 50/50 on that, that would perhaps be an ok outcome. Good luck, this is a bad ordeal for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
      I have two comments. First, I have a hard time understanding exactly how a tiny porcelain piece (can only be the electrode, all the rest of the porcelain on a spark plug is up-top and can't get into the cylinder, past the bolted-in metal body) can cause catastrophic damage.
      Not quite. There is a piece of the porcelain extending into the combustion chamber around the center electrode. Normally it's smooth and well radiused so there are no hot spots on it. If for any reason it cracks and sheds a chunk of porcelain or two, then there are going to be multiple sharp edges around the insulator. In the combustion process at TDC when the plug fires the gasses are at their hottest at this moment. This heat is transferred to the ceramic. Because there are sharp edges on the broken piece, the ceramic gets very hot at the sharp corner and will glow red-hot. So now there's a red-hot glow plug right next to the plug electrode. During the compression cycle the engine needs the ignition to occur at or just beyond TDC. That red-hot glowing corner of the electrode may fire the air/fuel mixture in an uncontrolled manner and put wacky pressure pulses inside the cylinder (remember the piston is still coming up so if the charge partly fires too soon it'll set off a pressure pulse that rebounds off the piston and meets the flame front of the pressure pulse of the proper ignition pulse and causes two or more flame fronts to converge.) Do that often enough and you've trashed the engine, especially with the amount of boost the 4 cyl 2.0's need to get their power ratings.

Also, if the ceramic breaks and a piece drops into the cylinder, it may 'ride' on top of the piston. But it, too, has sharp edges and will act as a glow-plug as well, and thereby set up even more flame-fronts. You only want one flame front from the ignition event (spark plug), Two or more will cause localized pressure pulses that can put holes in pistons in very short order.

Quote Originally Posted by JPL Guy View Post
      Not quite. There is a piece of the porcelain extending into the combustion chamber around the center electrode. Normally it's smooth and well radiused so there are no hot spots on it. If for any reason it cracks and sheds a chunk of porcelain or two, then there are going to be multiple sharp edges around the insulator. In the combustion process at TDC when the plug fires the gasses are at their hottest at this moment. This heat is transferred to the ceramic. Because there are sharp edges on the broken piece, the ceramic gets very hot at the sharp corner and will glow red-hot. So now there's a red-hot glow plug right next to the plug electrode. During the compression cycle the engine needs the ignition to occur at or just beyond TDC. That red-hot glowing corner of the electrode may fire the air/fuel mixture in an uncontrolled manner and put wacky pressure pulses inside the cylinder (remember the piston is still coming up so if the charge partly fires too soon it'll set off a pressure pulse that rebounds off the piston and meets the flame front of the pressure pulse of the proper ignition pulse and causes two or more flame fronts to converge.) Do that often enough and you've trashed the engine, especially with the amount of boost the 4 cyl 2.0's need to get their power ratings.

Also, if the ceramic breaks and a piece drops into the cylinder, it may 'ride' on top of the piston. But it, too, has sharp edges and will act as a glow-plug as well, and thereby set up even more flame-fronts. You only want one flame front from the ignition event (spark plug), Two or more will cause localized pressure pulses that can put holes in pistons in very short order.
      The tiny ceramic chips could stuck between piston and cylinder or scratch it, bad enough....
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

I'll say I've done a ton of the Campaigns to replace the plugs. I always checked to see the condition of the plugs I removed. I'd estimate I've seen less than 10 cars that had damaged plugs. Haven't had one come back with engine problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I'll say I've done a ton of the Campaigns to replace the plugs. I always checked to see the condition of the plugs I removed. I'd estimate I've seen less than 10 cars that had damaged plugs. Haven't had one come back with engine problems.
      I guess I got unlucky I suppose...

Got an encouraging update.

I approved the dealer to do testing and now I got news from the dealer that Volvo approved the tear down of the engine. I emailed for clarification on whether this means Volvo will cover the repairs needed after inspection or this is just the next step and they can still deny my claim. Keeping my fingers crossed that its the former.

Test results:

Leak down
      1- 10%, 2- 50%, 3- 100%, 4- 50%

Compression
      1- 172, 2- 170, 3- 0, 4- 170

Scope check
      Inconclusive. Cannot see if there is damage on the cylinder or head. Can see markings on the piston head. Will need to perform full tear down to complete damage report.

Good stuff. Frankly this is all a reason to be thrilled with Volvo, and your local dealer. A few perspectives to consider.

If all out of warranty claims were covered wouldn't that be unfair to the folks who choose to buy extended warranties?

The dealer here is awesome. They didn't earn your business to sell you the car, but it seems they sure well should have earned your future business.

Car Max... nope CPO is always the way to go on late model used cars IMO.

Volvo came around to the problem and knows a good outcome is in their benefit. I hope this carries through. IMO I don't understand why compression tests are more common. Historically it's the number one go to. I just bought an old engine myself and after lubing everything up, it's the first thing I do before putting any money into it.

Good luck, sounds to me like it's heading in the right direction.

I approved the dealer to do testing and now I got news from the dealer that Volvo approved the tear down of the engine. I emailed for clarification on whether this means Volvo will cover the repairs needed after inspection or this is just the next step and they can still deny my claim. Keeping my fingers crossed that its the former.

Test results:

Leak down

Compression

Scope check
      Inconclusive. Cannot see if there is damage on the cylinder or head. Can see markings on the piston head. Will need to perform full tear down to complete damage report.
      Glad to hear things have turned around and my advice proved fruitful. =) I've helped a few dozen people on here get results....So glad to see the process worked. Albeit a little patience and persistence to get the squeaky wheel moving! Continue to work with the Service Manager + General Manager, and hopefully they'll get the matter resolved.

On an aside note after all is said and done, and the vehicle is repaired, I would save all the diagnostic and service records. Then take these records and submit them to Warrantech in an attempt to get Volvo some reimbursed. While Volvo is stepping up and doing the right thing now (required a bit of pushing), the warranty should really be paying something here.

This is really why I hate 3rd party warranties. They're utterly useless and try to find any reason to wiggle out of responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      Good stuff. Frankly this is all a reason to be thrilled with Volvo, and your local dealer. A few perspectives to consider.

If all out of warranty claims were covered wouldn't that be unfair to the folks who choose to buy extended warranties?

The dealer here is awesome. They didn't earn your business to sell you the car, but it seems they sure well should have earned your future business.

Car Max... nope CPO is always the way to go on late model used cars IMO.

Volvo came around to the problem and knows a good outcome is in their benefit. I hope this carries through. IMO I don't understand why compression tests are more common. Historically it's the number one go to. I just bought an old engine myself and after lubing everything up, it's the first thing I do before putting any money into it.

Good luck, sounds to me like it's heading in the right direction.
      I wouldn't give Warrantech (Carmax Warranty) a free pass. I'd let the process play out with Volvo repairing the vehicle. Then get a copy of all the diagnostics and repair orders, and shove them down Warrantech's throat. Backing them into a corner and making said 3rd party warranty reimburse Volvo for the labor.

Volvo did the right thing here, because 3rd party Warranties like Warrantech need to be held accountable. These policies collect money and then attempt to find any reason to weasel out of legitimate claims. I'd make it my mission to get these idiots to pay for the repair.

Test results:

Leak down

Compression

Scope check
      that's silly they don't know what it is by now. When you do a compression test, u can identify which cylinder is low. Then you perform a leak on that cylinder.

Intake valve : Air whistling out of the intake, carburetor or throttle body indicates a leak at the intake valve.
      Exhaust valve : Air heard hissing out of the tailpipe, turbocharger or exhaust manifold means an exhaust valve leak.

Piston rings : Whistling or hissing out of the PCV valve, oil filler cap hole or dipstick tube means the air is pushing past the rings. Suspect ring or cylinder wall wear.

Head gasket : Air bubbles in engine coolant seen at the radiator filler cap could mean air escaping into the coolant past the head gasket.

Cracked cylinder head : Bubbles in coolant or coolant being pushed up out of the radiator neck can also indicate cracks in the cylinder head or cylinder walls.

I've never had to use a scope even though i own one. The best thing the scope does is lets you see if the walls have scratches on them or the top of the cylinder head. That leak test is very weird. i don't think he did it correctly. You have less than 2% variance in pressure in the the good cylinders but 50% leak. Sound like that tech didn't put the crank at TDC. Laziness. I've done plenty of leak down test. not the easiest vs a compression test but it is by far the most useful test at identifying problems.

You can have good compression but high leakage, like in this case. That's why the leakage test is more useful than compression. I agree they should have listened for air escaping. Maybe they did and just didn't communicate The results.
      The head has to come off either way to inspect.

0 compression in cyl 3, seems a big problem already, easily seen.

Exactly. The leakage test just tells them where to look when the head is off.

Might have a wee hole in the top of the piston. If so that sucks. Rebuild time. If your lucky, maybe just rings. Problem is that either way its more than likely gouged the wall. I went through this as well. Not due to spark plug issue but the guy who had it before me ran it lean then sold it down the road. I went big turbo and pop went the weasel. Darton MID wet sleeves installed and havent looked back. If your going to keep it, you might want to look at sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2008 Volvo C30:
      Darton wet sleeves|CP Carrillo pistons&rods|Upgraded injectors|K16 turbo|3"downpipe|ELEVATE:cat back|custom intake|turbo intercooler hard pipe|lower motor mount|turbo blanket|intake plenum|downpipe wrap|dual bypass valve|lowering springs|rear camber arms|do88 FMIC|Porche 70mm TB|BMC air filter|MAF upgrade|Turbosmart waste gate|meth injection|IPD brake lines|NGK iridium 1 step colder|APR head studs|AEM AFR/Boost Gauge|Hilton Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by projectsmorol View Post
      Might have a wee hole in the top of the piston. If so that sucks. Rebuild time. If your lucky, maybe just rings. Problem is that either way its more than likely gouged the wall. I went through this as well. Not due to spark plug issue but the guy who had it before me ran it lean then sold it down the road. I went big turbo and pop went the weasel. Darton MID wet sleeves installed and havent looked back. If your going to keep it, you might want to look at sleeves.

I think OP is hoping Volvo fixes engine, whether it's bad piston rings or the engine is scored and requires a new engine. As opposed to sleeving it.

Many thanks to MyVolvoS60 and others for the support and guidance through this!!! I didn't realize how emotionally attached I am to my XC90 so this thread/forum really helped me so THANK YOU

I appreciate some of the more technical folks chiming in with their explanations. I'm still trying to get over how this incident was even possible. I never thought I would see this failure mode manifest itself let alone on me. My Tesla friends are now trying to Jedi-mind trick me into getting a Tesla now...they keep telling me this failure mode is not possible in a Tesla........

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I think OP is hoping Volvo fixes engine, whether it's bad piston rings or the engine is scored and requires a new engine. As opposed to sleeving it.
      Yep, I'm just asking Volvo to fix/replace the engine with a new one.
      Last edited by omnimax; 09-30-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Many thanks to MyVolvoS60 and others for the support and guidance through this!!! I didn't realize how emotionally attached I am to my XC90 so this thread/forum really helped me so THANK YOU

I appreciate some of the more technical folks chiming in with their explanations. I'm still trying to get over how this incident was even possible. I never thought I would see this failure mode manifest itself let alone on me.
      You're welcome. Ive helped several dozen people get results. Not ground breaking advice by any means, but it starts with emotional detachment. Calm down, remember this is a mechanic object, not your child, wife, dog, etc. And then figure out the best means in achieving a resolution.

In your case, approaching the Service manager + General manager, who seem sympathetic to your plight. Even when you didn't purchase the car from their dealer, but instead Carmax.

My Tesla friends are now trying to Jedi-mind trick me into getting a Tesla now...they keep telling me this failure mode is not possible in a Tesla........
      Your Tesla friends are completely off base. Remember, you bought the car from CarMax, not a Volvo Dealership. And the 3rd Party Warranty (which most are garbage), is the one shafting you. Not Volvo. And quite honestly, Volvo is going above and beyond to make this situation right. Because whomever owned the vehicle serviced it exclusively through Volvo. So you've earned some good will, where Volvo could have easily said tough luck, because you're 2000 miles over the warranty.

Yep, I'm just asking Volvo to fix/replace the engine with a new one.
      Please ask Volvo to document all the work being performed. Inform Volvo the more descriptive the better, because you intend to try and get Volvo reimbursed through Warrantech if all possible.

New update.

Volvo agreed to good will support! They requested $500 out of pocket which I'll gladly pay.

The damage: The explanation I got was that the spark plug coming apart in the cylinder damaged the exhaust valve (didn't say how) and scratched the top of the piston but the cylinder walls wasn't scratched (not sure how it avoided getting scratched). So the engine block still looks good and they need to replace the valve. Service advisor said that there's also a TSB out on the pistons to begin with (?!?!?) so they're going to order a new set of pistons. (I suppose they will only replace/tell you about it if you come in with engine failure??!?!)

What an ordeal but I'm glad it's over and Volvo took care of me in the end. Still amazed by how much damage a spark plug can do. This one is going to stick with me.

Thanks again to everyone on this thread (big shout out to MyVolvoS60) and I'll be sure to get all the documentation (also for my own records) and see if I can take it to CarMax for any reimbursement for Volvo (not sure how that would even work...)

I do wonder if I need to re-break-in the engine again if it's getting new pistons but service advisor should tell me.
      Last edited by omnimax; 10-04-2019 at 12:57 PM.

The broken piece fell off spark plug could bounce randomly in burning gas in cylinder and hit piston or intake or exhaust valves. It could fell anywhere or be blown out to exhaust. If it stuck between piston and cylinder wall, it will make scratch there.

So it is all by chance and your engine still got quite good luck. Only the exhaust valve is damaged.

The question is, since the spark plugs have been replaced once and they are supposed to be the revised parts. Are these new parts still subject to breakoff problem like the old one?

The TJ on piston mentioned seems concerning, but maybe better leave it to techs here to confirm.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 10-04-2019 at 01:19 PM.

The piston TJ is for oil consumption. Maybe your engine is in that range and they are going to replace the pistons since they already have the head off.

Either way, I'm glad it got taken care of for you. I would have been surprised if it didn't.

New update.

Volvo agreed to good will support! They requested $500 out of pocket which I'll gladly pay.

The damage: The explanation I got was that the spark plug coming apart in the cylinder damaged the exhaust valve (didn't say how) and scratched the top of the piston but the cylinder walls wasn't scratched (not sure how it avoided getting scratched). So the engine block still looks good and they need to replace the valve. Service advisor said that there's also a TSB out on the pistons to begin with (?!?!?) so they're going to order a new set of pistons. (I suppose they will only replace/tell you about it if you come in with engine failure??!?!)

What an ordeal but I'm glad it's over and Volvo took care of me in the end. Still amazed by how much damage a spark plug can do. This one is going to stick with me.

Thanks again to everyone on this thread (big shout out to MyVolvoS60) and I'll be sure to get all the documentation (also for my own records) and see if I can take it to CarMax for any reimbursement for Volvo (not sure how that would even work...)

I do wonder if I need to re-break-in the engine again if it's getting new pistons but service advisor should tell me.
      They should break it in, only takes about a 1/2 hour for the rings to seat properly. After that you should be go to go. There are tons of theories on how long to baby it, a good guess...500 or miles or so. Gives the engine a chance to get to know itself. Put it through its paces, moderate acceleration, some stop and go, some highway, etc. A good shop will swap out the break in oil after the 1/2 hour at about 2500 rpms and check the oil filter for and small metal fragments etc. and then replace with a high quality synthetic running oil. I would then change the oil after about 3k and check again. Better safe than sorry.

2008 Volvo C30:
      Darton wet sleeves|CP Carrillo pistons&rods|Upgraded injectors|K16 turbo|3"downpipe|ELEVATE:cat back|custom intake|turbo intercooler hard pipe|lower motor mount|turbo blanket|intake plenum|downpipe wrap|dual bypass valve|lowering springs|rear camber arms|do88 FMIC|Porche 70mm TB|BMC air filter|MAF upgrade|Turbosmart waste gate|meth injection|IPD brake lines|NGK iridium 1 step colder|APR head studs|AEM AFR/Boost Gauge|Hilton Tuning

New update.

Result - pop that gold medal in the mail to MyVolvoS60 now
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

New update.

Glad to be of assistance. I say the $500 is a small price to pay for the major repair your vehicle is about to undergo! Volvo did the right thing here. And yes, there was a bulletin regarding the spark plugs. They could break off into the engine and cause what you described. That's why Volvo replaced them.

How to Handle reimbursing Volvo: I wouldn't mention this to Volvo until AFTER the repairs are done. Don't want to muddy the waters. Once Volvo repairs and zero's out your balance, take the WORK ORDER ONLY and SUBMIT it to Warrantech. If they kick and scream, contact your state Attorney and file a complaint that the warranty is acting in poor faith. Include a Copy of the work order and repair from Volvo. Explain while Volvo Good willed it because Warrentech refused to pay, that your policy SHOULD have covered this and Volvo deserves reimbursed.

Up to you, but I feel that's the right thing to do here. Sure, this falls on Volvo for not replacing the plugs, but you had a warranty for a reason. And it should be the one paying in the end.

Can't answer the break in part. Tech or another Volvo Technician will have that answer.

I'm just glad we have a positive resolution. These issues take patience and persistence, but the squeaky wheel gets the job done!
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 10-04-2019 at 10:03 PM.

The piston TJ is for oil consumption. Maybe your engine is in that range and they are going to replace the pistons since they already have the head off.

Either way, I'm glad it got taken care of for you. I would have been surprised if it didn't.
      I'm glad Volvo did the right thing, too.

OP has a warranty through CarMax (Warrantech) and i think once all is said and done, he should push for the warranty to pay Volvo something.

+1 to Volvo none the less.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 10-04-2019 at 10:04 PM.

Didn't OP said the spark plugs have been replaced a while back:

- I learned from the service advisor that the spark plugs were replaced at the 30K

The servicing dealer didn't drop the ball. The plugs were replaced at around 30k.
      Last edited by Tech; 10-04-2019 at 09:47 PM.

The servicing dealer didn't drop the ball. The plugs were replaced at around 30k.
      My fault. I thought they hadn't been replaced. Will correct my post to reflect that information. My apologies.

To clarify though, if the plugs were replaced, how did the new ones break? Was he not given the updated set of plugs? Or did he just get a bad set from the new batch that just happen to break?

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Didn't OP said the spark plugs have been replaced a while back:

Sorry I overlooked that point or forgot. Hard to keep track of every thread. My apologies. Kind of odd replaced plugs broke. Wonder if he got an old set put into his vehicle or if he just happened upon a bad batch of the redesigned plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      My fault. I thought they hadn't been replaced. Will correct my post to reflect that information. My apologies.

To clarify though, if the plugs were replaced, how did the new ones break? Was he not given the updated set of plugs? Or did he just get a bad set from the new batch that just happen to break?
      He got the new plugs. I have no way of knowing what happened to cause his exhaust valve damage.

New update.

big shout out to volvo to do a ring job on an engine that is outside of warranty. that is not fun... trust me on that. Toyota just sends you a short block and head under warranty and the tech swaps the cams, manifolds and pumps over. I'm guessing there is going to be some machining work done if the piston rings are being replaced. Tech or gunshow would know. I always would send my blocks to my machine shop and have them rebore to the new piston rings.

sounds like here it could be multiple issues. If the plugs were already replaced i'm guessing they did the TSB. I have never ever in my entire life have seen a plug break off that wasn't due to detonation, knock, etc. I've seen plugs just die. I've seen coil packs die. Either one of those scenarios nothing happens to the cylinder besides getting fuel sprayed on it. I would like to know what caused that plug to break off. Once a plug breaks off, valves are the first one to usually go. The piston heads are pretty good at handling it. Kind of horrifying to think of a plug breaking. Makes me wonder fuel quality, pressure, etc.

Detonation is beyond dangerous. In this engine that is being compressed from a supercharger and a turbocharger, the shock wave destroys everything....
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZysyokEU60

good video explaining what's going on if you all are bored.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast